TomJH

Who Is The MOST ANNOYING ACTOR In The Movies?

325 posts in this topic

GenRipper, I'm just wondering why you quoted a post I made in its entirety, but then went on to address your response to darkblue.

I have to assume you thought, based on the opinion expressed in the post, that it was he who wrote it.

Moderators and message board technicians, if you're reading this, please be aware this is not the first, nor will it be the last  time someone quotes a poster thinking it's somebody else.

If you were to restore the "reply to" function, it would not happen. ( at least, not nearly so often.) Think you could?

So you're going to ignore my question about Tracy?

So you're going to ignore my question about Tracy?

I myself don't quite see how anyone could be annoyed by Spencer Tracy...I mean, I don't agree with a lot of the people who say that he was the "best actor ever"- there are a few I'd put before him, but I totally get that he is a great actor and I'm hard pressed to think of a film besides the unfortunate remake of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde where I'd classify him as "annoying." (Well, I'm not a fan of The Old Man and the Sea, but that's more an issue with the clunky use of stock footage and poor direction.)

Sometimes I think widespread adulation can be one of the worst things for a person's reputation, because then you feel like you need to be the one guy in the room saying (in your Droopy Dog voice if possible) "I don't like him."

I myself don't quite see how anyone could be annoyed by Spencer Tracy...I mean, I don't agree with a lot of the people who say that he was the "best actor ever"- there are a few I'd put before him, but I totally get that he is a great actor and I'm hard pressed to think of a film besides the unfortunate remake of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde where I'd classify him as "annoying."

Well, in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, he wasn't so much annoying as frightening.  I kind of liked him in that, though I'll still take the Fredric March version.

But in one movie after another, Tracy plays the part of a hyperopinionated, mostly ignorant, pigheaded Irish r e d n e c k with an extremely short fuse, who never listens to anyone but himself and seems to think that he's God's Gift to the world.  You can see this in many of his early movies, and then again in his comedies with Hepburn.

In defense of this, you can rightly say that he's just playing a part, and playing it well.  I know that, but it doesn't stop me from often wishing that someone would politely tell him to just SHUT THE #### UP.

I myself don't quite see how anyone could be annoyed by Spencer Tracy...I mean, I don't agree with a lot of the people who say that he was the "best actor ever"- there are a few I'd put before him, but I totally get that he is a great actor and I'm hard pressed to think of a film besides the unfortunate remake of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde where I'd classify him as "annoying."

Well, in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, he wasn't so much annoying as frightening.  I kind of liked him in that, though I'll still take the Fredric March version.

But in one movie after another, Tracy plays the part of a hyperopinionated, mostly ignorant, pigheaded Irish r e d n e c k with an extremely short fuse, who never listens to anyone but himself and seems to think that he's God's Gift to the world.  You can see this in many of his early movies, and then again in his comedies with Hepburn.

In defense of this, you can rightly say that he's just playing a part, and playing it well.  I know that, but it doesn't stop me from often wishing that someone would politely tell him to just SHUT THE #### UP.

That bad!

Just curious, how many ST movies have you seen? If you've seen a pretty good number, I congratulate on your commitment to hang in there. My advice would be to stay away from him altogether.

;)

That's what I call "annoyed."

I was going to say something positive about him, but I think I'll just go work a crossword puzzle. This thread can really be a downer. It's a good thread, just me.

• Like 1

Blessed by a witty battle of the sexes script and terrific supporting casting, Adam's Rib is the sophisticated comedy that I think showed off the Tracy-Hepburn team at their zenith as a married pair of lawyers who find themselves of the opposite sides of the same case.

It's the one film they made as a team that I will watch every few years, or so.

I think that Tracy is particularly amusing in this film, one of many highlights coming when he scares Hepburn and David Wayne with a gun, only to then bite off a piece of the muzzle of the gun exclaiming, "Licorice! If there's anything I'm a sucker for it's licorice."

2sb8nrb.jpg

• Like 1

I myself don't quite see how anyone could be annoyed by Spencer Tracy...I mean, I don't agree with a lot of the people who say that he was the "best actor ever"- there are a few I'd put before him, but I totally get that he is a great actor and I'm hard pressed to think of a film besides the unfortunate remake of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde where I'd classify him as "annoying." (Well, I'm not a fan of The Old Man and the Sea, but that's more an issue with the clunky use of stock footage and poor direction.)

Sometimes I think widespread adulation can be one of the worst things for a person's reputation, because then you feel like you need to be the one guy in the room saying (in your Droopy Dog voice if possible) "I don't like him."

Spencer Tracy is the inspiration behind my screen name. When I thought about classic movie stars that had top billing the most times in a long motion picture career, he came to mind. He was topbilled in his first film (1930's UP THE RIVER) and he was topbilled in his last film (1967's GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER).  In between, he was topbilled 63 times out of 73 films (and in the ten films where he wasn't topbilled, he was usually second-billed after a leading actress, thereby still making him the topbilled male star).

• Like 1

Spencer Tracy is the inspiration behind my screen name. When I thought about classic movie stars that had top billing the most times in a long motion picture career, he came to mind. He was topbilled in his first film (1930's UP THE RIVER) and he was topbilled in his last film (1967's GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER).  In between, he was topbilled 63 times out of 73 films (and in the ten films where he wasn't topbilled, he was usually second-billed after a leading actress, thereby still making him the topbilled male star).

Regarding a discussion of Stagecoach on another thread, I had expressed some reservation with Thomas Mitchell as Doc Boone (although I still feel he is very competent in the role) and offered the suggestion that Spencer Tracy might have done Doc Boone really well. At the same time I realized that John Ford probably would not have wanted that for precisely this reason. Stagecoach has an ideal ensemble of character actors and rising stars and he probably would have felt that having such a leading man, a consistently top-biller like Spencer, might have attracted too much attention and thereby compromising the ensemble aspect of the film.. That being said, I relish the fantasy of how well he might have done with that role, it's really a great one that almost any really good actor would like to sink his teeth into.

• Like 1

Blessed by a witty battle of the sexes script and terrific supporting casting, Adam's Rib ...

I think that Tracy is particularly amusing in this film, one of many highlights coming when he scares Hepburn and David Wayne with a gun, only to then bite off a piece of the muzzle of the gun exclaiming, "Licorice! If there's anything I'm a sucker for it's licorice."

Good way to get back on topic: David Wayne. He really annoys me- especially in Adam's Rib, although I get that he's supposed to be annoying- but in all his other movies too. Although (if I recall correctly)-he's really good as Joanne Woodward's husband in The Three Faces of Eve. I was quite impressed by him.

I also like him as the Mad Hatter on the 1960's Batman TV show, although he always pronounced it "B-yat M-yan!"

Regarding a discussion of Stagecoach on another thread, I had expressed some reservation with Thomas Mitchell as Doc Boone (although I still feel he is very competent in the role) and offered the suggestion that Spencer Tracy might have done Doc Boone really well. At the same time I realized that John Ford probably would not have wanted that for precisely this reason. Stagecoach has an ideal ensemble of character actors and rising stars and he probably would have felt that having such a leading man, a consistently top-biller like Spencer, might have attracted too much attention and thereby compromising the ensemble aspect of the film.. That being said, I relish the fantasy of how well he might have done with that role, it's really a great one that almost any really good actor would like to sink his teeth into.

Right-- that's one of the drawbacks of always being the star-- you are not able to play in ensemble pictures very well. Interestingly, in something like HOW THE WEST WAS WON, which is in its way a rambling ensemble western, Tracy's voice appears over much of the action as the narrator. But if he was on screen, the whole thing would have to be built around him and his persona.

Regarding a discussion of Stagecoach on another thread, I had expressed some reservation with Thomas Mitchell as Doc Boone (although I still feel he is very competent in the role) and offered the suggestion that Spencer Tracy might have done Doc Boone really well.

In my opinion, it was Bing Crosby who did it best.

Good way to get back on topic: David Wayne. He really annoys me- especially in Adam's Rib, although I get that he's supposed to be annoying- but in all his other movies too. Although (if I recall correctly)-he's really good as Joanne Woodward's husband in The Three Faces of Eve. I was quite impressed by him.

I also like him as the Mad Hatter on the 1960's Batman TV show, although he always pronounced it "B-yat M-yan!"

I like David Wayne in Adam's Rib. He had a long theater career; in fact, he won the Best Featured Actor at the first Tony Awards (1947), for Og in Finian's Rainbow.

David Wayne is not a favorite but he's not annoying to me either. He is very good in Paul Muni's last film, The Last Angry Man and I really like him in The Tender Trap.

However, I feel like I have no credibility around these parts, so take it for what that's worth.

I like David Wayne in Adam's Rib. He had a long theater career; in fact, he won the Best Featured Actor at the first Tony Awards (1947), for Og in Finian's Rainbow.

David Wayne is marvelously self satisfied, smug, obnoxious and downright annoying to distraction in Adam's Rib, as he is supposed to be. And he drives Spencer Tracy crazy in that film, to the extent that he finally pulls a candy gun on him.

I'm sure that Tracy's character only wished that he could have fired licorice bullets at him, too.

• Like 1

David Wayne is not a favorite but he's not annoying to me either. He is very good in Paul Muni's last film, The Last Angry Man and I really like him in The Tender Trap.

However, I feel like I have no credibility around these parts, so take it for what that's worth.

Your "feeling" is wrong, Helen. You've always had credibility in MY book, anyway!

(...but yeah, doncha just hate it when someone says "your feelings are wrong"?!...but then again, that IS a "guy thing", ya know!) ;)

Btw, and speakin' of "David Wayne" here...

Is it only me or does anyone else here think any role he ever played in the movies could have ALSO been played by Tom Ewell?

(...well, I always thought so anyway)

• Like 1

Is it only me or does anyone else here think any role he ever played in the movies could have ALSO been played by Tom Ewell?

Well, then the two of them could have switched roles in ADAM'S RIB.

Anybody consider the thought that besides the issue of "older male stars being quite a bit older than some of their female co-stars back in the mid-20th Century", that maybe the age difference in HIGH NOON was ALSO a very common social phenomenon in the late 19th Century in REAL life?!

Because I believe my grandfather born somewhere around 1875 was about 25 years older than my grandmother, and I've heard that THAT was NOT an unusual occurrence between a man of reasonable means and a young woman just starting adulthood back then.

I totally agree. Back then, many young women tried to marry established older men for security. This was a time when working women was frowned upon, especially for "respectable" girls, and with many of the employment options for women not considered very respectable. Plus, many girls were forced into arranged marriages to older men, with love and even compatibility not among the main concerns but more like an afterthought. Definitely a phenomenon in the 19th Century, and well into the 20th.. It is still common practice in many parts of the world, and even among some recent immigrant communities here.

Yes time have changed, and today many people find themselves uneasy about these types of relationships (although "creepy" may be too strong a word), but that may be more because young women have so many other options, along with rampant reports of pedophilia of all types constantly in the news.

I totally agree. Back then, many young women tried to marry established older men for security. This was a time when working women was frowned upon, especially for "respectable" girls, and with many of the employment options for women not considered very respectable. Plus, many girls were forced into arranged marriages to older men, with love and even compatibility not among the main concerns but more like an afterthought. Definitely a phenomenon in the 19th Century, and well into the 20th.. It is still common practice in many parts of the world, and even among some recent immigrant communities here.

Yes time have changed, and today many people find themselves uneasy about these types of relationships (although "creepy" may be too strong a word), but that may be more because young women have so many other options, along with rampant reports of pedophilia of all types constantly in the news.

Uh-huh...and I hear ESPECIALLY around the Salt Lake City/Provo area!!! LOL

(...sorry, could NOT resist!)

And yep, good point about the limited options women have had until recent times, Arturo.

(...oh, and yeah...thanks for now bein' the SECOND person to FINALLY recognize my most astute observation here after I posted it days ago, ol' buddy!) ;)

LOL

• Like 1

I guess that, in my personal life, I'm trying to resurrect that practice.

David Wayne was the "original" Ensign Pulver  in the Mister Roberts stage play. He got great reviews but when it came time to cast the film John Ford thought Wayne was "too old"  for the character (never mind that you could have also said that about Fonda, Cagney and Powell)  so Ford cast the younger Jack Lemmon as Pulver.

• Like 1

I don't know, Dargs. 'The Seven Year Itch' just wouldn't be the same, know what I mean.

I dunno, dark. It seems to me that Wayne could have easily played the lecherous middle-aged man in that one too, and even though of course that was probably Ewell's most famous role.

I dunno, dark. It seems to me that Wayne could have easily played the lecherous middle-aged man in that one too, and even though of course that was probably Ewell's most famous role.

Wayne, with a "seven year itch", would have been even more annoying.

Wayne, with a "seven year itch", would have been even more annoying.

I just wanna say here that while I suppose I can kind of see why Wayne and Ewell might grate on some people, I almost always still enjoy their work.

WHICH reminds me yet another actor that I often hear some people expressing the thought that they find annoying, but who I also enjoy watching him on screen:

Keenan Wynn