TomJH

Who Is The MOST ANNOYING ACTOR In The Movies?

325 posts in this topic

I just wanna say here that while I suppose I can kind of see why Wayne and Ewell might grate on some people, I almost always still enjoy their work.

WHICH reminds me yet another actor that I often hear some people expressing the thought that they find annoying, but who I also enjoy watching him on screen:

Keenan Wynn

I suppose one reason you seem to enjoy annoying actors on screen is that you're glad that they're up there on screen, rather than sitting next to you in the theatre.

I dunno, dark. It seems to me that Wayne could have easily played the lecherous middle-aged man in that one too, and even though of course that was probably Ewell's most famous role.

Sure, he COULD play the role. But with his unique face, Ewell just owns it I think. 

Well, then the two of them could have switched roles in ADAM'S RIB.

I'm not so certain about that. While I could easily see David Wayne playing the Tom Ewell role, I have a problem picturing Ewell in Wayne's part. The part required a smugness and verbal glibness that Wayne mastered, to the point that it had to be credible that Tracy felt even threatened by him to a degree as far as Wayne's relationship with his wife (Hepburn) was concerned.

Can you picture Spencer Tracy feeling threatened by Tom Ewell regarding his wife? I can't.

Wayne, with a "seven year itch", would have been even more annoying.

Totally agree. And poor Marilyn already suffers with Wayne as her lesding man twice, in WE'RE NOT MARRIED and HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE. Not to mention Tommy Noonan in GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES.

Totally agree. And poor Marilyn already suffers with Wayne as her lesding man twice, in WE'RE NOT MARRIED and HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE. Not to mention Tommy Noonan in GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES.

She didn't suffer because of them. She liked them.

To my earlier post of Roberto Benigni, I will add the name of W.C. Fields, whom I almost always find annoying, except in David Copperfield and in the "Gathering Up the Shells from the Seashore" scene in The Old Fashioned Way. 

To my earlier post of Roberto Benigni, I will add the name of W.C. Fields, whom I almost always find annoying, except in David Copperfield and in the "Gathering Up the Shells from the Seashore" scene in The Old Fashioned Way. 

I know a guy who looks almost exactly like Roberto Benigni. Same body, same head, same profile, same walk. When I first saw 'Down By Law', I burst out laughing when Benigni comes marching past the jail cell carrying his bedding, because of the guy I know (he's a real goofball - guess I shoulda mentioned that).

It's amazing - both the actor and my friend have the same energy.

She didn't suffer because of them. She liked them.

Maybe I should say that I am the one who suffers when I see those annoying drips with her.

Hoo, boy, where do I start? These are individuals whom I find annoying AND whose presence in films I don't usually enjoy. As mentioned below, there are some annoying people that you love to watch; this, for the most part, isn't that list.

Donna Reed

Dennis Morgan

Jimmy Durante

Wallace Beery

W.C. Fields

Mae West

Cary Grant, but only half of the time (such as in "The Howards of Virginia." If he said "aye!" one more time...)

Kay Francis

Norma Shearer

Montgomery Clift

Charles Coburn (but it varies depending on the film)

Totally agree. And poor Marilyn already suffers with Wayne as her leading man twice, in WE'RE NOT MARRIED and HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE. Not to mention Tommy Noonan in GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES.

Yes, I do not like Wayne in How to Marry... but there are so many things about that film that I don't like that he's like, maybe seventh on the list.

Tommy Noonan is kind of hot in an adorkable way. Sorry... And I don't mind him in Gentlemen Prefer... but I do think he fumbled his "big speech" to Judy Garland in the final minutes of A Star is Born, gets too Steigery for me.

WOW! No offense here SG, but I'm startin' to think it MIGHT have just been easier for ya to just list the actor/actresses you DON'T find "annoying"!!! ;)

I will add the name of W.C. Fields, whom I almost always find annoying, except in David Copperfield and in the "Gathering Up the Shells from the Seashore" scene in The Old Fashioned Way. 

I rather love watching the great William Claude, Swithin.

Glad to see that you at least appreciate watching him with Jan Duggan as the outragious Cleopatra Pepperday singing that unbelievably hokey old song that you mentioned. While Fields' reaction shots to her singing (and dancing?) are funny, he was generous enough as a comedian to let this be Duggan's scene. He didn't feel the need to try to steal her shining moment in the film from her. Maybe W. C. wasn't such a bad guy, after all.

Old-Fashioned-Way-Seashells.jpg

Wish I could have found a better looking image. Then again, Cleopatra Pepperday in perfect focus might be a bit much for anyone to handle. "Woman looks like a well kept grave," Fields says at one moment about her.

Glad to see that you at least appreciate watching him with Jan Duggan as the outragious Cleopatra Pepperday singing that unbelievably hokey old song that you mentioned. While Fields' reaction shots to her singing (and dancing?) are funny, he was generous enough as a comedian to let this be Duggan's scene. He didn't feel the need to try to steal her shining moment in the film from her. Maybe W. C. wasn't such a bad guy, after all.

Wish I could have found a better looking image. Then again, Cleopatra Pepperday in perfect focus might be a bit much for anyone to handle. "Woman looks like a well kept grave," Fields says at one moment about her.

The whole scene with the song is on YouTube, but it comes at the end of a much longer scene, so I didn't post it. I like that movie in general, and the mini-performance of The Drunkard. But I hate the scene with the baby which precedes the "Seashells" scene.

Being intentionally annoying was one the main components of Fields' comic schtick.

I did not know that Lady Elaine Fairchilde had a HOLLYWOOD career before she went on to do Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. How terribly intresting.

Being intentionally annoying was one the main components of Fields' comic schtick.

Uh-huh...kinda like MY intentionally annoying shtick about pointing out 'superfluous letters' in certain words like that 'c' you just used in the word 'shtick' here, finance!

(...though of course in MY case, it's usually about that superfluous letter 'u' the Brits and Canadians use in certain OTHER words!) ;) 

Andy Devine is a good example of this (for me). Someone who is essentially likeable, but who can be annoying at the same time, I think for obvious reasons, the speech patterns, the voice, the stabs at comedy that sometimes don't work ... a large dose of Andy can be quite withering ...IMO .

I did not know that Lady Elaine Fairchilde had a HOLLYWOOD career before she went on to do Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. How terribly intresting.

I didn't know that about Lady Elaine either.

I wonder if her catch phrase "Boomerang-Toomerang-Zoomerang" predates her work on MISTER ROGERS' NEIGHBORHOOD.

It seems like I have seen Cornflake S. Pecially in at least one movie as well although the title eludes me.

Andy Devine is a good example of this (for me). Someone who is essentially likeable, but who can be annoying at the same time, I think for obvious reasons, the speech patterns, the voice, the stabs at comedy that sometimes don't work ... a large dose of Andy can be quite withering ...IMO .

I think that my annoyance with those one note "comic" character actors is almost directly proportional to the number of movies I've seen them in.  Hence, Andy Devine, whom I've seen only a few times, is mildly irritating.  Hugh Herbert, whom I've seen probably 8 or 10 times, is much more so.  And Frank McHugh, who kept playing the same drunken and / or pious idiot for over 20 years and God knows how many movies,  is off the charts annoying.  24 hours of Frank McHugh movies would be almost as bad as an entire season's worth of Friends, though that may be taking it a bit too far.

• Like 1

Yes, Frank McHugh!  A little goes a very long way.  I read somewhere (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that he and James Cagney were pals and Cagney was upset because McHugh wasn't cast in WHITE HEAT - I think in the Edmond O'Brien part - can you imagine?!?  I find McHugh almost as annoying as Hugh Herbert.

Hugh Herbert is extremely annoying to me.

I agree that Hugh Herbert's very limited "woo woo" shtick wears thin on me very quickly.

(Like about ten seconds after I see him in any film).

hugh-herbert-1936-r95.jpg

"Woo woo" means "Oh, NOOO!!!" for me

• Like 1