TomJH

Who Is The MOST ANNOYING ACTOR In The Movies?

325 posts in this topic

I agree that Hugh Herbert's very limited "woo woo" shtick wears thin on me very quickly.

(Like about ten seconds after I see him in any film).

hugh-herbert-1936-r95.jpg

"Woo woo" means "Oh, NOOO!!!" for me

Now there's another guy I can't see in 21st century films.

Now there's another guy I can't see in 21st century films.

My chief regret was that he was in 20th Century films.

Tom,

Do I win the award for the Hugh Herbert suggestion? : )

You win the award for reminding me about Hugh Herbert and just how much he annoys the hell out of me.

If you asked a Londoner he might say Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins.  But personally I liked him in that film and enjoy mentioning to all of my English friends what a dandy accent he had.

Uh-huh...kinda like MY intentionally annoying shtick about pointing out 'superfluous letters' in certain words like that 'c' you just used in the word 'shtick' here, finance!

(...though of course in MY case, it's usually about that superfluous letter 'u' the Brits and Canadians use in certain OTHER words!) ;)

The spellcheck warned me about that, but I figured I know more than the spellcheck.

Bill James rates baseball players in two separate ways, first by what he calls "Peak Value", and then by what he calls "Career Value". Thus, a pitcher like Pedro Martinez, who was utterly dominant for a relatively short period, would rate very high in the former category.  While a very good but not great pitcher like Don Sutton, with a long and distinguished career but with no "signature" seasons, would rate much higher from the career perspective.

If we divided "Most Annoying Actors" into these categories, we might put our annoyance into clearer focus.

IMO for "peak value" the most annoying actor is Bing Crosby.  With his "Voice By Sominex" combined with his "Piety by Breen", nobody makes me reach for the remote faster than he does.

But for "career value", Frank McHugh is like a 25 year drip-drip-drip of Chinese water torture.  It's not any one drop that's lethal, it's their sheer number and their haunting inevitability.  Just the thought of him playing the Edmond O' Brien role in White Heat is enough to make me wake up screaming.

Anyone else want to divide their choices in this way? :)

Just the thought of him playing the Edmond O' Brien role in White Heat is enough to make me wake up screaming.

This isn't going to change your mind about McHugh, Andy, but, just for the record, he was NOT considered for the Edmond O'Brien role in White Heat.

Cagney wanted him to play the role of Tommy Riley, a hood in the prison cell with him whom he would later shoot in the back at the oil refinery when surrounded by the police. Yes, I know, now you wish he had been in the film so you could have seen him take that bullet in the back.

Shelley Winters, Jerry Lewis and James Dean send me running away screaming.

Lydecker

• Like 1

Shelley Winters, Jerry Lewis and James Dean send me running away screaming.

Lydecker

You'd think Shelley Winters would be the sure winner of the title, wouldn't you?

You'd think Shelley Winters would be the sure winner of the title, wouldn't you?

As she should be.

This isn't going to change your mind about McHugh, Andy, but, just for the record, he was NOT considered for the Edmond O'Brien role in White Heat.

Sorry, I thought I'd read that on one of these threads just a few days ago.  Obviously it was a misreading.

Cagney wanted him to play the role of Tommy Riley, a hood in the prison cell with him whom he would later shoot in the back at the oil refinery when surrounded by the police. Yes, I know, now you wish he had been in the film so you could have seen him take that bullet in the back.

Not really.  I would've wanted him to be the one in the air conditioned trunk of Cagney's car. :)

Sorry, I thought I'd read that on one of these threads just a few days ago.  Obviously it was a misreading.

Not really.  I would've wanted him to be the one in the air conditioned trunk of Cagney's car. :)

Now THAT's consideration. You've a kind heart, Andy. :)

McHugh is in one of the great final scenes: the last scene in One Way Passage, when the two glasses break. I think he's fine in that film.

• Like 1

Winters reached her peak of annoyance in NEXT STOP, GREENWICH VILLAGE. In any case, Sinatra would have agreed on this choice. His two least favorite females were Winters and Dorothy Kilgallen. 

Could Jerry Lewis, "the total filmmaker" do the double?  (See the "Which actor deserves to be star of the month" thread)

Can we forgive him the chopsticks up the nostrils gag for his turn in "The King of Comedy."

And he probably should be commended for his endurance after having a heart attack about 60 years ago.

Years ago the Globe and Mail in Toronto carried a story of a fan who asked Mr. Lewis for an autograph.  When he brushed her off she angrily stated that 'we fans made you.'

This was his quoted response ....

"I made me.  My talent, my tenacity, my courage.  My no fear of risk and my natural inclination to stay alive.  You have nothing to do with any of it.  You're just a timid little soul that's a parasite on life.  Now get out of my face." 

Could Jerry Lewis, "the total filmmaker" do the double?  (See the "Which actor deserves to be star of the month" thread)

Can we forgive him the chopsticks up the nostrils gag for his turn in "The King of Comedy."

And he probably should be commended for his endurance after having a heart attack about 60 years ago.

Years ago the Globe and Mail in Toronto carried a story of a fan who asked Mr. Lewis for an autograph.  When he brushed her off she angrily stated that 'we fans made you.'

This was his quoted response ....

"I made me.  My talent, my tenacity, my courage.  My no fear of risk and my natural inclination to stay alive.  You have nothing to do with any of it.  You're just a timid little soul that's a parasite on life.  Now get out of my face." 

I'll go along with the tenacity.  One of the stories I've always admired about Lewis was how, when he and Dean Martin started making movies, Lewis would use the time between shoots and takes unlike Dean would, which was to retire to his trailer and relax or nap.  Lewis would be all over the place, asking sound guys, light guys and cameramen how everything worked, how and why and asking the editors how all their stuff worked and learning every aspect of the art of making movies, which served him well over the years.

Sepiatone

Holy moly, I just realized that I'd completely forgotten about Jerry Lewis, which is kind of like overlooking a twelve inch goiter on a person's neck.  But then are we allowed to consider an actor as the "most annoying" if we've only seen him in clips and previews?

3383489_1749-7922-7-9-7.png

The medical equivalent of Jerry Lewis.

Thank you Andy for that wonderful image.

Sorry, I haven't mastered the Quote thing for your post.

post-35686-0-73572000-1407340844_thumb.jpg

post-35686-0-73572000-1407340844_thumb.jpg

in re: Jerry Lewis

subject: Dear Lord, yes.

Wikipedia, youtube, and google search The Day the Clown Cried.  It's one of those things that you don't believe actually exist until you read about it or see it somewhere. Right up there with The Conqueror when it comes to bad ideas in film making. You could probably make a brilliant film about the making of The Day the Clown Cried.

Some footage of it was recently discovered as part of a making of show done for German TV and may still be on youtube (Jerry- I think, still owns the master and all other footage.)

It's.... (finds no words, shakes head)

ps- it would make a great double bill with Life is Beautiful.

• Like 1

This is definitely a minority opinion, but I find Jack Lemmon -- who is so good in dramatic roles -- to be very irritating in his comedies. I feel as though he's always saying, "Look at me, folks -- look how cute I am!"

This is definitely a minority opinion, but I find Jack Lemmon -- who is so good in dramatic roles -- to be very irritating in his comedies. I feel as though he's always saying, "Look at me, folks -- look how cute I am!"

Yes, that WILL probably be a minority opinion here, face. However, while I know what you're driving at here, consider the issue that Jack's characters are often supposed to be "irritating". Take for instance one his more notable roles as the "irritating" Felix Ungar in THE ODD COUPLE, or maybe his role as the irritating landlord and would-be Cananova in UNDER THE YUM YUM TREE, just to name a few.

You WILL have to admit(or I at least hope you will anyway) that his turn as C.C.Baxter in THE APARTMENT is perfectly played and that he portrays this character in a much more toned-down fashion and thus is far less "irritating", and basically because we're supposed to root for his character in this one.

(...though yeah, THE APARTMENT is more a seriocomedy than a "wacky" comedy, and thus would require him to tone it down a notch)