Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Which actor should be Star of the Month but never will be?

299 posts in this topic

I know there are some great ones hidden out of the Star of the Month club. Some will never be. Please list someone who should be but you think probably will not be for whatever reason.

Whit Bissell. Tons of credits, and even a few lead roles (but granted, mostly in camp like I Was a Teenage Frankenstein and/or WerewolfThis guy was so prolific, he has even started to show up in my home movies.

Anna May Wong

Spencer Williams

Ruby Dee

Ossie Davis

Theresa Harris

Juanita Moore

Rex Ingram

Sessue Hayakawa

Victor Sen Yung

Louise Beavers

Toshiro Mifune

Jean Gabin

Jeanne Moreau

Lon Chaney

Four of the greatest actors the world has ever seen will never make SOTM, partly because of the bias against foreign and silent stars, but in reality it's far more because of the lack of enough easily obtainable films to fill up a month. 

But fortunately, we've now seen all four of them receive SUTS days, and when Mifune's director Akira Kurosawa was given a special month in March of 2010, that took care of most of Mifune's best movies as well.  Those of us with recorders have learned to strike when the iron is hot, and take what we can get when we can get it.

I'd list George Sanders and Susan Hayward as well, but I don't think that their exile will prove to be permanent.

Hepclassic, I totally agree about Louise Beavers.  Over the years, she appeared in many, many wonderful movies.    And whenever she appeared in a scene, she always made it worth watching.  Just maybe she will be recognized someday by TCM.

Hepclassic, I totally agree about Louise Beavers.  Over the years, she appeared in many, many wonderful movies.    And whenever she appeared in a scene, she always made it worth watching.  Just maybe she will be recognized someday by TCM.

Yes,  Louise Beavers has a very strong film legacy so there would be enough films to feature her as SOTM.   Some others like

Juanita Moore were only in a handfull of movies.     TCM typically features at least 12 films when someone is SOTM (most of the time over 25),   so it would be difficult for an actress like Moore to be SOTM (but she was great in two performaces).

Some of the other listed like Ossie Davis and Spencer Williams directed more films than they acted in.    That can make for an interesting SOTM selection since TCM can feature them as both actor and director but access to those films could prove difficult. 

So many great silent stars, but they don't have enough extant films for a month-long salute

Gloria Swanson

Rudolph Valentino

Norma Talmadge

William Haines

Constance Talmadge

Richard Barthelmess

Colleen Moore

Lon Chaney

Mae Murray

Wallace Reid

Betty Compson

Thomas Meighan

Clara Bow

Ramon Novarro

Mabel Normand

Emil Jannings

Pola Negri

Not sure if Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford have been SOTM. They could be combined as TCM did for the Barrymores. Also not sure about Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd. They may have been honored.

I'm working on getting Marion Davies an SOTM salute.

• Like 1

I'd toss the name of WC Fields into the ring- likely because of the rights issues and the fact that most of his stuff was for Paramount and they'd- according to some- have to digitize the films in order for TCM to air them.

Have It's a Gift or The Man on the Flying Trapeze EVER played on TCM?

I'd toss the name of WC Fields into the ring- likely because of the rights issues and the fact that most of his stuff was for Paramount and they'd- according to some- have to digitize the films in order for TCM to air them.

Since September of 2009, TCM has shown It's a Gift, Never Give a Sucker an Even Break, Her Majesty Love,  If I Had a Million, David Copperfield, The Bank Dick, and just recently My Little Chickadee. If there were any others, I'm not aware of them.

Since September of 2009, TCM has shown It's a Gift, Never Give a Sucker an Even Break, Her Majesty Love,  If I Had a Million, David Copperfield, The Bank Dick, and just recently My Little Chickadee. If there were any others, I'm not aware of them.

I would say that THE BANK DICK is the most-aired W.C. Fields title on TCM, with DAVID COPPERFIELD coming in a close second. THE BANK DICK was an Essentials Jr title a few years ago.

Hmmm, I'm sorry I missed them. I knew about The Bank Dick and Chickadee (personally I have no issue with them showing The Bank Dick as often as they feel like it. S***, I just hit the underline function by mistake, and for some reason it never lets me undo it once I click the underline function, no matter how hard I try.

David Copperfield, (oh yay, I just turned it off) is on too damn much. Not a fan of the film (the book is another story.)

Jim Brown. The greatest NFL player ever didn't become the greatest film presence ever. But to paraphrase Spencer Tracy's character in "Pat and Mike" (1952), when you consider Brown's filmography, "what's there is cherce."

His first five years or so as an action hero in movies yielded "Rio Conchos" (1964), "The Dirty Dozen" (1967), "Dark of the Sun" (1968), "Ice Station Zebra" (1968), "The Split" (1968), "Riot" (1968), "100 Rifles" (1969), "...tick...tick...tick" (1970) and "El Condor" (1970). It also might be a good time for TCM to do first-time showings of "The Running Man" (1987), "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" (a 1988 blaxploitation send up by Keenen Ivory Wayans) and "Any Given Sunday" (1999).

Maybe TCM could also air Spike Lee's 2002 documentary -- "Jim Brown: All-American," which originally was televised by HBO.

1. Marlon Brando

2. Tony Curtis

3. Steve McQueen

4. Paul Newman

5. Robert Redford

This is a murderer's row of stars and the fact that TCM hasn't featured them ALREADY, gives me little comfort they ever will be featured. 20 years of doing this and 'Dennis Morgan' makes the cut but these HUGE stars don't?! Amazing... Maybe they can squeeze in Eleanor Parker a 3rd time or Doris Day a 4th? I've heard a bunch about purchasing 'rights' for movies to feature these guys but I have seen a bunch of their movies on TCM in the past. Surely, they could budget for some of these guys somehow, someway.

1. Marlon Brando

2. Tony Curtis

3. Steve McQueen

4. Paul Newman

5. Robert Redford

This is a murderer's row of stars and the fact that TCM hasn't featured them ALREADY, gives me little comfort they ever will be featured. 20 years of doing this and 'Dennis Morgan' makes the cut but these HUGE stars don't?! Amazing... Maybe they can squeeze in Eleanor Parker a 3rd time or Doris Day a 4th? I've heard a bunch about purchasing 'rights' for movies to feature these guys but I have seen a bunch of their movies on TCM in the past. Surely, they could budget for some of these guys somehow, someway.

The likely reason a secondary actor like Dennis Morgan was SOTM back in 1999 was because TCM was focused on the Turner Library and Morgan was under contract with Warners back in the late 30s early 40s.

But yea,  Morgan and not Brando;   doesn't make any sense regardless of how one feels about Brando as an actor.  He clearly was a much, much bigger star.

The other 4 are stars that got started latter in the studio era.    TCM doesn't feature that type of star as much as stars that made in big in the 30s, 40s or early 50s. 

The other 4 are stars that got started latter in the studio era.    TCM doesn't feature that type of star as much as stars that made in big in the 30s, 40s or early 50s. 

I'm looking forward very much to the time when TCM alters that habit.

The likely reason a secondary actor like Dennis Morgan was SOTM back in 1999 was because TCM was focused on the Turner Library and Morgan was under contract with Warners back in the late 30s early 40s.

But yea, Morgan and not Brando; doesn't make any sense regardless of how one feels about Brando as an actor. He clearly was a much, much bigger star.

The other 4 are stars that got started latter in the studio era. TCM doesn't feature that type of star as much as stars that made in big in the 30s, 40s or early 50s.

Tony Curtis started acting in '49 and has some great pictures like 'Sweet Smell of Success', 'Some Like It Hot', & 'The Defiant Ones', under his belt. They feature many of his contemporaries like Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, & Charlton Heston, but manage to do Paul Henreid instead? I can buy that McQueen, Newman, and Redford are 'too new' but Curtis? No way...

Tony Curtis started acting in '49 and has some great pictures like 'Sweet Smell of Success', 'Some Like It Hot', & 'The Defiant Ones', under his belt. They feature many of his contemporaries like Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, & Charlton Heston, but manage to do Hans Conried instead? I can buy that McQueen, Newman, and Redford are 'too new' but Curtis? No way...

Note that I said early 50s.   The 3 Curtis movies you mentioned were made after 1956.     Curtis didn't really 'make it' until 53 with Houdini.     Anyhow,   I'm only speculating on why TCM has passed him by.    Note that when his x-wife was named SOTM the first question I asked was why they picked Janet over Tony.  

Tony Curtis started acting in '49 and has some great pictures like 'Sweet Smell of Success', 'Some Like It Hot', & 'The Defiant Ones', under his belt. They feature many of his contemporaries like Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, & Charlton Heston, but manage to do Paul Henreid instead? I can buy that McQueen, Newman, and Redford are 'too new' but Curtis? No way...

Tony Curtis has been a SOTM within the last two years.

I recall it distinctly.

Jennifer Jones.

Has she ever been a SOTM? (Someone, somewhere has a list of all the past honorees and has posted it from time to time.) Anyhow, it's overdue, especially since they aired such a shabby tribute to her when she died (four of her worst films.)

I've been glad to see The Song of Bernadette show up a couple of times the last year, ditto Loooooove is a Many Splendoooooored Thing (even though it's not very good) and Ruby Gentry is such fun, but would like to see a tribute to her that included Cluny Brown and a Powell/Pressberger film (I think?) she made in the early fifties- is it called Down to Earth? I also hear good things about Love Letters.

Since You Went Away and Duel in the Sun they can give a rest.

She has been somewhat forgotten and it's a shame, because she was a pretty damn good actress.

Yes to W.C. Fields!

It says on the SOTM history thread that W.C. Fields was honored in June of 2001. Someone mentioned Lloyd, Chaplin and Keaton, and all of them have been chosen, as well, and in that order.

It's easy to check if someone has been chosen before by using the "find" function on your computer.

Also, I think it's entirely possible that Lon Chaney might be chosen. There is no better choice for October when it comes to quality films.

(Edit: P.S. And, there is no record of Tony Curtis having been chosen before. He was once picked for SUTS, but only once.)