Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Which actor should be Star of the Month but never will be?

299 posts in this topic

Tony Curtis has been a SOTM within the last two years.

I recall it distinctly.

Well not according to what is posted at this forum for SOTM.    Maybe it was SUTS?  

Well not according to what is posted at this forum for SOTM.    Maybe it was SUTS?  

Nope. He was definitely a SOTM.  And I want to say it was in May or June.

i quite distinctly recall watching a little film he did where he played the Native American who was among the Marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima it was the first time I heard of or saw it.

Yeah, that is the list I've been using. If that isn't correct, then forgive me....

I went back and looked at when careers started among those I've listed and Charlton Heston is a fine example. His first big role didn't come till 1952 and 'Greatest Show on Earth' so early 50s for stardom seems OK for some, but not others... There seems to be a lot if double standards, not cool...

i quite distinctly recall watching a little film he did where he played the Native American who was among the Marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima it was the first time I heard of or saw it.

Well here is what the link from this forum says for May\June the last 3 years:

May 2011: Esther Williams

June 2011: Jean Simmons

May 2012: Joel McCrea

June 2012: Teen Idols

May 2013: Tough Guys

June 2013: Eleanor Parker

But of course the source I'm getting this from could be mistaken.   

'The Outsider' 1961

'The Outsider' 1961

He is so good in that movie- almost unrecognizable he so "becomes" the character. I knew he was a good actor before I saw it, but afterwards I realized that he was a great one.

And that's why I remember him being SOTM.

Jennifer Jones.

Has she ever been a SOTM? (Someone, somewhere has a list of all the past honorees and has posted it from time to time.) Anyhow, it's overdue, especially since they aired such a shabby tribute to her when she died (four of her worst films.)

I've been glad to see The Song of Bernadette show up a couple of times the last year, ditto Loooooove is a Many Splendoooooored Thing (even though it's not very good) and Ruby Gentry is such fun, but would like to see a tribute to her that included Cluny Brown and a Powell/Pressberger film (I think?) she made in the early fifties- is it called Down to Earth? I also hear good things about Love Letters.

Since You Went Away and Duel in the Sun they can give a rest.

She has been somewhat forgotten and it's a shame, because she was a pretty damn good actress.

It's Gone to Earth. I just watched it this week.....

He is so good in that movie- almost unrecognizable he so "becomes" the character. I knew he was a good actor before I saw it, but afterwards I realized that he was a great one.

And that's why I remember him being SOTM.

It's a sad true story of Ira Hayes and the dangers of what happens when war memories and the bottle meet. I think Tony Curtis has been great in a bunch of roles. He had some clunkers like that stupid race movie but overall, a good body of work...

Now, Marlon Brando... Why has TCM forsaken you? I know I've seen countless of your films on TCM. We don't have to see 'Apocalypse Now' or 'Last Tango in Paris' but 'Streetcar Named Desire', 'On the Waterfront', 'The Wild One', & 'Sayonara' get regular rotation on TCM along with a bunch of others.

hepclassic, great list you have.  There should be month dedicated to all minority actors. No particular pattern like say, all African American, all Asian, etc. Just a jumble with maybe showing a progression of the types of roles  given to these actors. 

Would love to see some Juano Hernandez, Jose Ferrer, Ricardo Montalban, James Edwards and James Shigeta.

• Like 1

I checked the list and Curtis was honored in August SUTS but is not listed under SOTM. Weird since he was a big friend of TCM. He died in Sept. 2010 so I'm sure he got a memorial tribute. He even got a Private Screenings interview many years ago. If I'm not mistaken, he was under contract to Universal, so that might be why it might be a problem to get some of his films, especially early ones.

He does show up often on the channel. It seems like there was a time Sweet Smell of Success was shown frequently, and Some Like It Hot is on a lot of "give this film a rest" lists around here.

• Like 1

Jennifer Jones.

PORTRAIT OF JENNIE is one of my favorite movies of all time.

The first time I saw it (on some cable TV channel when I was in elementary school)  I had not heard of Jennifer Jones and didn't know that she played Jennie as a girl as well as as an adult in that movie.

I would love for TCM to air TENDER IS THE NIGHT which stars Jennifer Jones as Nicole Diver, the character from the F.Scott Fitzgerald novel from which the movie was adapted. The movie also features a great performance by Joan Fontaine as Nicole's sister Baby Warren.

Tony Curtis has been a SOTM within the last two years.

I recall it distinctly.

Tony Curtis had a SUTS day on Wednesday, August 27, 2008, but he's never been a SOTM. Let him get in line behind George Sanders, Susan Hayward, Warren William, Toshiro Mifune, Jean Gabin, Jeanne Moreau, Lon Chaney, etc., etc., etc.

Tony Curtis had a SUTS day on Wednesday, August 27, 2008, but he's never been a SOTM. Let him get in line behind George Sanders, Susan Hayward, Warren William, Toshiro Mifune, Jean Gabin, Jeanne Moreau, Lon Chaney, etc., etc., etc.

'Behind' such notable 'stars' like George Sanders, Susan...., blah blah blah... Really?! Because all those actors had such more memorable careers than Curtis?! I think Tony Curtis was one of the biggest box office stars (like Brando) year after year, do you think those other 'stars' are bigger than Tony Curtis? Please, go work for TCM... you'll have a lot of delusional company...

PS. I said in previous posts that Sanders deserves a shot but before Curtis OR Brando?! Wow...

So many great silent stars, but they don't have enough extant films for a month-long salute

Gloria Swanson

Rudolph Valentino

Norma Talmadge

William Haines

Constance Talmadge

Richard Barthelmess

Colleen Moore

Lon Chaney

Mae Murray

Wallace Reid

Betty Compson

Thomas Meighan

Clara Bow

Ramon Novarro

Mabel Normand

Emil Jannings

Pola Negri

Not sure if Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford have been SOTM. They could be combined as TCM did for the Barrymores. Also not sure about Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd. They may have been honored.

I'm working on getting Marion Davies an SOTM salute.

Has Lillian Gish been recognized? She, of course, had many movies after the silents.  I'd love to see her honored.

'Behind' such notable 'stars' like George Sanders, Susan...., blah blah blah... Really?! Because all those actors had such more memorable careers than Curtis?! I think Tony Curtis was one of the biggest box office stars (like Brando) year after year, do you think those other 'stars' are bigger than Tony Curtis? Please, go work for TCM... you'll have a lot of delusional company...

PS. I said in previous posts that Sanders deserves a shot but before Curtis OR Brando?! Wow...

Tony Curtis and Marlon Brando seem to me like the more probable, but less interesting stars that might be chosen. If I saw either of of those stars get selected I wouldn't be especially pleased or surprised. Brando particularly was a big star, but did not make a lot of very good films, and his career remains more iconic than prolific.

Besides, this thread is for wishful suggestions of less likely choices, not who's-the-biggest-star.

Is there a list somewhere of the actors who have been Stars of the Month?

Yes indeed. I posted a while back. Here it is again, (Edit: I beg your pardon, I posted it on a different thread, not this one.)

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/48413-star-of-the-month-summer-under-the-stars-honorees/

And it's very easy to check if someone has been chosen before by using the "find" function on your computer, I might add.

How about Robert Donat? He has a small filmography, about 20 films only, and probably all of them would air if he were picked. A solid half of them don't have any indication of ever being shown before. He's a wonderfully charismatic actor and I would defy anyone to tire of this month.

I'd like to see Agnes Moorehead.  She was nominated for four Oscars and no matter the size of her part or the type of character she portrays, she always gives an interesting performance.  One of my favorite roles of hers is as Madge in Dark Passage.  She had a fairly prolific film career prior to portraying Endora on Bewitched.  

Did anyone mention Herbert Marshall?  He worked for almost every studio, in leads (during the 30s) to supporting/character roles (40s and beyond), and his screen career stretches from the late 20s to the mid 60s-- so there is plenty to choose from!

• Like 1

I'm not interested in who the biggest "star" was, since that limits the possible choices to too small a field, and favors box office receipts from past decades over timeless acting ability.*  I'm interested in who's been underrepresented.  Brando's had four SUTS days and his signature movies play here with nearly oversaturated regularity, with the major exception of the unattainable Godfather series.**  In addition, other than The Godfather and its sequels, most of those signature movies span little more than a decade.

Curtis has a better claim than Brando, since he's had but one SUTS day, but like Brando, most of the memorable films where he had prominent parts were within a relatively short time frame.  Sanders' career lasted longer, his films don't show up as often, and he's never had even a single  SUTS day.  At this point, I'd settle to give him one of those August days and then talk about who most deserves a SOTM.

*This isn't directed against either Brando or Curtis, both of whom were fine actors.  And obviously  both of them were bigger "stars" than Sanders, but that's irrelevant to my point.

**If TCM could ever get the rights for the three Godfather movies, that would put my thoughts on a Brando SOTM tribute in an entirely different light.  But until then, Brando doesn't need to be SOTM for TCM to show On The Waterfront and Streetcar and Guys and Dolls (etc.) about every other week.  As it is, TCM is already way too weighted towards AFI Top 100 movies, and IMO we don't need any more of that.