Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Which actor should be Star of the Month but never will be?

299 posts in this topic

It's a sad true story of Ira Hayes and the dangers of what happens when war memories and the bottle meet. I think Tony Curtis has been great in a bunch of roles. He had some clunkers like that stupid race movie but overall, a good body of work...

The Great Race (1965). NOTHING about that movie is "Great" and I swear to God, if TCM shows it one more time this year (especially on a weekend) I am going to go all Wendy Williams on my TV.

They also need to store Sex and the Single Girl in a warm, wet, salty place where it can deteriorate fast.

• Like 1

Did anyone mention Herbert Marshall?  He worked for almost every studio, in leads (during the 30s) to supporting/character roles (40s and beyond), and his screen career stretches from the late 20s to the mid 60s-- so there is plenty to choose from!

Marshall is a great choice for someone that should be SOTM,  but hopefully not a good choice for someone that TCM will never have as SOTM.

Marshall is a great choice for someone that should be SOTM,  but hopefully not a good choice for someone that TCM will never have as SOTM.

He would be perfect for a January SOTM tribute, because there are plenty of great films for him from the 30s & 40s to offset the more recent classics that are typically shown in February during the 31 Days of Oscar.

I think my favorite performance of his is the supporting role he plays as the blind pianist in THE ENCHANTED COTTAGE. And that voice of his!!

The Great Race (1965). NOTHING about that movie is "Great" and I swear to God, if TCM shows it one more time this year (especially on a weekend) I am going to go all Wendy Williams on my TV.

Ya gotta love Ross Martin's line as Baron Von Stuppe: "As a very wise English gentleman once said, 'He who fights and runs away may live to fight another day'. So, until another day, Mr. Leslie, please excuse me, I have a boat waiting." It, of course, sets up the funniest scene in the movie. And it IS funny!

He would be perfect for a January SOTM tribute, because there are plenty of great films for him from the 30s & 40s to offset the more recent classics that are typically shown in February during the 31 Days of Oscar.

I think my favorite performance of his is the supporting role he plays as the blind pianist in THE ENCHANTED COTTAGE. And that voice of his!!

First,  you confirmed that my post can be seen and read.   For some reason my 'handle' is gone and when I went to My Profile it said I'm no longer a member.    

As for Marshall;  I can see why some may feel he is too low key but most of the time his screen persona fits the role.  Some parts just don't call for a high energy actor like, say,  James Cagney.      Marshall clearly has starred in many high quality productions with most of the greatest actresses.   So his SOTM films would contain a lot of variety. 

• Like 1

I think over the last couple of years there has been a real movement to include people who are still alive (or were at the time) in the SOTM  "club" as it were: Maureen O'Hara, Mickey Rooney, Kirk Douglas, Angela Lansbury (which was one tribute I found a little unnecessary as most of her films are in heavy rotation and she was a supporting performer, but whatever), Mickey Rooney, Kim Novak, Eleanor Parker, Bacall etc. While I admit some of those names did not pique my interest, I totally get why they're making the effort to include folks who can still be honored and touched by the attention and I'm fine with it.

The only SOTM selections that have bugged me were June Allyson (her SECOND inclusion as a SOTM?! Once was enough) and Burt Lancaster- many of whose films are on TCM too, too much already ( Trapeze, From Here to Eternity, Elmer Gantry.) and who has been saluted with entire line-ups of his films as much as three times in a year.

I admit that while I am never going to complain about a line up of CRAWFORD films, her tribute in January did seem a little unimaginative- especially since it didn't include any new titles like Sudden Fear! or the long lost Letty Lynton.

In looking over the past SOTM selections, I have to say that I noticed a few months where they paid tribute to "character actors" and also had a "gone too soon" month. I love both those ideas and think an encore of either concept would be wonderful, especially the "character actor" theme, which could be shown on multiple nights of the week instead of just one.

(Do have to add that I thought the "Battle of the Blondes" that they tried out one time a while back in lieu of saluting a single star was a big bust- no pun intended.)

I think over the last couple of years there has been a real movement to include people who are still alive (or were at the time) in the SOTM  "club" as it were: Maureen O'Hara, Mickey Rooney, Kirk Douglas, Angela Lansbury (which was one tribute I found a little unnecessary as most of her films are in heavy rotation and she was a supporting performer, but whatever), Mickey Rooney, Kim Novak, Eleanor Parker, Bacall etc. While I admit some of those names did not pique my interest, I totally get why they're making the effort to include folks who can still be honored and touched by the attention and I'm fine with it.

The only SOTM selections that have bugged me were June Allyson (her SECOND inclusion as a SOTM?! Once was enough) and Burt Lancaster- many of whose films are on TCM too, too much already ( Trapeze, From Here to Eternity, Elmer Gantry.) and who has been saluted with entire line-ups of his films as much as three times in a year.

I admit that while I am never going to complain about a line up of CRAWFORD films, her tribute in January did seem a little unimaginative- especially since it didn't include any new titles like Sudden Fear! or the long lost Letty Lynton.

In looking over the past SOTM selections, I have to say that I noticed a few months where they paid tribute to "character actors" and also had a "gone too soon" month. I love both those ideas and think an encore of either concept would be wonderful, especially the "character actor" theme, which could be shown on multiple nights of the week instead of just one.

(Do have to add that I thought the "Battle of the Blondes" that they tried out one time a while back in lieu of saluting a single star was a big bust- no pun intended.)

Why do you think Letty Lynton is lost? It's been tied up for decades in copyright issues, but a copy of the film is around and it's quite a good film.

They also need to store Sex and the Single Girl in a warm, wet, salty place where it can deteriorate fast.

Never said this was a great movie... I said it was a 'clunker'. Try reading it again and see if you get the same interpretation.

Yes indeed. I posted a while back. Here it is again, (Edit: I beg your pardon, I posted it on a different thread, not this one.)

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/48413-star-of-the-month-summer-under-the-stars-honorees/

And it's very easy to check if someone has been chosen before by using the "find" function on your computer, I might add.

Thanks very much, Kay.

Love your Wendy O (?) Wllliams comment.  She was really something, wasn't she?

Isn't Wendy Williams the talk show host?     I only ask because you said 'she was really something'.    That Wendy Williams is still with us.   So did you mean someone else?

She gave a pretty noteworthy performance in 'Candy Goes to Hollywood' (1979).

The following year (or maybe it was '81) she was featured (with the Plasmatics) on an episode of SCTV. One of my favorites (and one that has been withdrawn from syndication).

Why do you think Letty Lynton is lost? It's been tied up for decades in copyright issues, but a copy of the film is around and it's quite a good film.

You've seen it? I hate you!

(kidding, but really jealous)

ps- yes, I know all about the legal issues. it's "lost" in the sense that it apparently can't be aired.

Yes she was, I didn't discover her until she died some time ago...I think her middle initial was indeed "O" but I also was unsure so I just left it out.

Never said [The Great Race] was a great movie... I said it was a 'clunker'. Try reading it again and see if you get the same interpretation.

And I never said you said it was great...I was referring to the word "Great" being in the title, a misnomer if ever there was.

The following year (or maybe it was '81) she was featured (with the Plasmatics) on an episode of SCTV. One of my favorites (and one that has been withdrawn from syndication).

Every time I see black electrician's tape, I think of her!  I remember seeing her on SCTV...she was pretty rough looking then.  She struck me as the head of a motorcycle gang, sort of like "The Mini-Skirt Mob", which BTW, would be a great TCM Underground pic!

• Like 1

Oh, I missed that SCTV episode. One of the best TV shows ever!  Such a remarkable cast.

There was also a memorable appearance on Tom Snyder's late night show.  She was one kick **** girl.

And I never said you said it was great...I was referring to the word "Great" being in the title, a misnomer if ever there was.

Ah, my mistake... Yes, a shame 'great' is in that title. I'm ashamed Jack Lemmon was in that dog of a movie. He must of owed some studio some picture because no one in their right mind would do it after seeing a script. He had to be forced... ;-)

It would be great to see these actors and actresses honored:

Eve Arden

George Sanders

George C. Scott

Franklin Pangborn

Linda Darnell

Mischa Auer

Jane Russell

Oscar Levant

Julie Christie

Victor Mature

Marcello Mastrianni (sp)

Many surely won't be SOTM, but even a small salute would be nice.

You've seen it? I hate you!

(kidding, but really jealous)

ps- yes, I know all about the legal issues. it's "lost" in the sense that it apparently can't be aired.

Seen it? I have it!

If we were playing the word asssociation game, and you said "Wendy O. Williams", I would say "t**s hanging out". ,,,But that's just me.

• Like 1