Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Which actor should be Star of the Month but never will be?

299 posts in this topic

If we were playing the word asssociation game, and you said "Wendy O. Williams", I would say "t**s hanging out". ,,,But that's just me.

It's not just you.

Granted, you're probably the one one here who'd say it out loud, but it's not just you.

If we were playing the word asssociation game, and you said "Wendy O. Williams", I would say "t**s hanging out". ,,,But that's just me.

That's three words.

I don't think Bela Lugosi has ever gotten the SOTM feature. I know Vincent Price did this past October and- aside from their scheduling his best films and roles in the graveyard hours (no pun intended)- it was great. I've also enjoyed the SUTS days dedicated to Peter Lorre and KARLOFF: THE UNCANNY.

I guess maybe Bela's resume- which included a handful of good films and a sh*tpile of baaaaaaad ones would be too lowbrow or maybe tragic, but it would be a very cheap month since so much of his stuff is in the public domain.

either way, I keep hoping that the gloriously restored 1931 version of Dracula will show up soon on TCM- as so many other Universal horrors have (and the print they've shown of The Mummy has been pristine.)

Here is a preview of the AMAZING job they've done cleaning it up- that hiss is gone and the picture is clear. There are details of the set clear to the eye now that I have never noticed before:

• Like 2

And a fine reply that is, finance. :)

I'd also like to see supporting actors and actresses recognized:

Billie Burke

S.Z.Sakall

Eric Blore

Erik Rhodes

Edward Everett Horton

Alice Brady

• Like 1

Arnold Stang  :lol:

dmxvo2.jpg

He did a mean Phil Silvers impression to great effect as the voice of Hanna-Barbera's Top Cat.

2q3zodf.jpg

Here's my list, but I'm still optimistic, so here are the people whom I hope will get an eventual turn at SOTM:

Richard Egan

Rod Taylor

Harry Belafonte

Edmund Gwenn

Dorothy Dandridge

Efrem Zimbalist Jr. 

Sessue Hayakawa

J. Carrol Naish

John Derek

Brock Peters

Louise Beavers

Lizabeth Scott

Mel Ferrer

Lew Ayres

• Like 2

Good picks, posters!  I, too, would love to see some supporting actors in there like the always-excellent Eve Arden.  I think Bela Lugosi made enough decent movies there wouldn't be too much dreck.  Besides DRACULA, TCM could show THE BODY SNATCHERS, INVISIBLE RAY, THE BLACK CAT, SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, NINOTCHKA. THE RAVEN, WHITE ZOMBIE, MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE and MARK OF THE VAMPIRE.  Then you could leave the dreck for the wee hours.

• Like 1

Good picks, posters!  I, too, would love to see some supporting actors in there like the always-excellent Eve Arden.  I think Bela Lugosi made enough decent movies there wouldn't be too much dreck.  Besides DRACULA, TCM could show THE BODY SNATCHERS, INVISIBLE RAY, THE BLACK CAT, SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, NINOTCHKA. THE RAVEN, WHITE ZOMBIE, MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE and MARK OF THE VAMPIRE.  Then you could leave the dreck for the wee hours.

Nice. There is also The Return of the Vampire, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, The Devil Bat (not perfect, but fun) and- most notably- The Thirteenth Chair (1929?)- an early Tod Browning murder mystery set during a seance in India- maybe his first talking picture (?). Lugosi has a prominent role as a police inspector that I think dispels the myth he spoke no English and had to learn his lines for Dracula phonetically. Margaret Wycherly costars and is excellent.

And the Ed Wood trio of films he made with Bela are quite watchable and fascinating. I really don't think Glen or Glenda is bad at all.

They can't even tribute his birthday.  Heaven forbid we should all want to watch a full day of this....let alone a month....

• Like 1

Claire Trevor is one who should be Star of the Month-- so many interesting phases of her film career, especially the westerns and the noir cycle.

But since she was not under contract to MGM or Warners and some of her films fall outside the Turner Library, I doubt she will be honored. She at least deserves a full day in August.

Segal is worthy, but most of his films are too recent. Almost like making Al Pacino SOTM.

Segal was a decade ahead of Pacino. George began during the so-called "golden age of Hollywood", Al did not.

Not that it matters - TCM will begin to pay a lot more attention to the 70's eventually.

A lot of us seem to agree that TCM should pick more silent stars, foreign stars and character actors. So how about Conrad Veidt? He's all three.

James Dean, for obvious reasons. Perhaps Grace Kelly, who has never even had a Summer Under the Stars tribute.

Segal was a decade ahead of Pacino. George began during the so-called "golden age of Hollywood", Al did not.

Not that it matters - TCM will begin to pay a lot more attention to the 70's eventually.

Didn't Segal start around '65? I believe Pacino began in PANIC IN NEEDLE PARK ('71).

James Dean, for obvious reasons. Perhaps Grace Kelly, who has never even had a Summer Under the Stars tribute.

All right, now I know fo' sho' Grace Kelly has been SOTM within the last 5 years. And you say she ain't, we gone step outside. She only made, like 11 films. It was ridiculous.

James Dean could not be a full SOTM because he only made three features, all of which show up pretty regularly on TCM. He did some TV stuff that I think is still around, but nowhere near enough to fill out a month.

They did do a rare Theme SOTM a long time ago on TCM where they profiled stars who died young (or in their prime), and I'm sure he had a night then. Personally, I'd like to see that idea explored again.

They could also feature Jeanne Eagels (sp?); Grace Moore, Lombard, Conrad Veidt, Harlow, Laird Craegar Rags Ragland, Edna May Oliver, Linda Darnell, Gail Russell, John Hodiak, Jeff Chandler, Susan Peters, Tyrone Power, Marie Dressler...

(feel free to add.)