Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Which actor should be Star of the Month but never will be?

299 posts in this topic

Didn't Segal start around '65? I believe Pacino began in PANIC IN NEEDLE PARK ('71).

1960. His first feature film was '61 (The Young Doctors).

All right, now I know fo' sho' Grace Kelly has been SOTM within the last 5 years. And you say she ain't, we gone step outside. She only made, like 11 films. It was ridiculous.

James Dean could not be a full SOTM because he only made three features, all of which show up pretty regularly on TCM. He did some TV stuff that I think is still around, but nowhere near enough to fill out a month.

They did do a rare Theme SOTM a long time ago on TCM where they profiled stars who died young (or in their prime), and I'm sure he had a night then. Personally, I'd like to see that idea explored again.

They could also feature Jeanne Eagels (sp?); Grace Moore, Lombard, Conrad Veidt, Harlow, Laird Craegar Rags Ragland, Edna May Oliver, Linda Darnell, Gail Russell, John Hodiak, Jeff Chandler, Susan Peters, Tyrone Power, Marie Dressler...

(feel free to add.)

Grace Kelly was SOTM in November 2009.

A lot of us seem to agree that TCM should pick more silent stars, foreign stars and character actors. So how about Conrad Veidt? He's all three.

But Veidt also had a SUTS day only three years ago.  Much as I'd like to see silent and foreign stars given SOTM honors, I think the closest we'll ever get to that would be a "foreign" star whose movies don't require subtitles and who made lots and lots of movies in Hollywood.  I think those of us who'd like to see more silent and foreign stars honored would probably be better off concentrating our energies on expanding the number of silent and foreign stars in SUTS to maybe 2 or 3 each a year until the major players have all gotten a shot.  And when we get one of those dual country stars, let's not go loading the day up with Hollywood blockbusters.

I think those of us who'd like to see more silent and foreign stars honored would probably be better off concentrating our energies on expanding the number of silent and foreign stars in SUTS to maybe 2 or 3 each a year until the major players have all gotten a shot.

Yes, I agree, and many more of the stars that have been mentioned on this thread would be far, far more likely to be featured on SUTS. This thread doesn't deal with SUTS, though, or the likelihood of anything. I just mentioned Conrad Veidt because I think he would have a good variety of films to choose from, and he has played a variety of roles. If TCM doesn't want to do something daring, such as choosing an almost exclusively silent star as SOTM (like Lon Chaney), then they could at least choose someone who has a lot of variety. Silent, sound; foreign, domestic; leading, supporting; hero, villain; Veidt did it all. Though I'm sure there are many just as worthy and far more likely (and, as you said, have not yet gotten honors), I just don't know their names, hah.

I think Anne Francis should be a Star of the Month, and since she was under contract with MGM-- it could possibly happen. 

What a career she had!

• Like 2

Max von Sydow.

He also deserves an Academy Lifetime Achievement Oscar

• Like 1

I would like TCM to consider a "Character of the Month" in addition to a Star of the Month.   When you think of all the movies or stars that you really like to see on TCM there is usually a solid supporting character actor who adds to their performance.  Some come readily to mind like Alan Hale and Errol Flynn, Harry Carey and John Wayne but what about Cagney and McHugh, Doris Day and Jack Carson, etc.  So I would like the following Characters for the Month, even if only one or two of their movies are featured on a special day.  I met a TCM programmer at a TCM Festival and asked about an Eve Arden Day and hope sprang eternal that I would see that come to past, but not yet.  So how about:

Eve Arden
James Gleason
Frank McHugh
Eric Blore
Edward Everett Horton
Franklin Pangburn
Mary Hicks
Harry Carrey
Jack Carson
Hattie Mc Daniel
Eddie Anderson
Thomas Mitchell

Character actors add dimension to some movies that would otherwise be flat...So think about Character of the Month TCM from a loyal viewer. 

• Like 3

Character actors add dimension to some movies that would otherwise be flat...So think about Character of the Month TCM from a loyal viewer. 

Jack Elam.

and to repeat an earlier suggestion, Strother Martin.

Jerry Lewis should have been a Star of the month already-- he is certainly more of a legend than some of the honorees that have been showcased (quite a few whose talent was a fraction of Jerry's). But because he was a Paramount contract player, it will never happen on TCM.

Jerry Lewis should have been a Star of the month already-- he is certainly more of a legend than some of the honorees that have been showcased (quite a few whose talent was a fraction of Jerry's). But because he was a Paramount contract player, it will never happen on TCM.

....but a lot of his legendary status is for negative reasons.

Not in my eyes. Only positive things to say about him from these quarters.

A lot???    Can you provide support for that statement?   ;)

Maggie Smith

Joan Bennett

Judith Anderson

Gladys Cooper

Merle Oberon

Glynis Johns

That's a good list. On RetroPlex yesterday, CINDERFELLA aired-- and boy, was Judith Anderson great as Jerry Lewis' wicked stepmother. I don't think she ever turned in a bad performance.

I read all these lists and the discussions, however it doesn't seem that TCM responds to any of our discussions.  I really believe if all the bloggers on this theme of overlooked actors and the desire to see them recognized by TCM such as character actors and others were avidly speaking out in such a way (# of posts etc.) maybe the programmers at TCM would respond.  I have watched two movies in the last days where character actors were intensly important....James Gleason in The Clock and Meet John Doe and then the plethora of character actors who supported Ball of Fire...how much of that movies would have resonated with viewers without the likes of 7 Dwarfs...S.Z.Sakal for example. 

Let us unite and move characters to the forefront at least once or twice a year....

I read all these lists and the discussions, however it doesn't seem that TCM responds to any of our discussions.  I really believe if all the bloggers on this theme of overlooked actors and the desire to see them recognized by TCM such as character actors and others were avidly speaking out in such a way (# of posts etc.) maybe the programmers at TCM would respond.  I have watched two movies in the last days where character actors were intensly important....James Gleason in The Clock and Meet John Doe and then the plethora of character actors who supported Ball of Fire...how much of that movies would have resonated with viewers without the likes of 7 Dwarfs...S.Z.Sakal for example. 

Let us unite and move characters to the forefront at least once or twice a year....

Many at this forum have asked for a Support Stars of the Month type of tribute.  We don't expect TCM staff to join in these discussions (they have actual jobs),  but we write to them and make recommendations.   Hopefully it will occur.

The good thing is that TCM features supporting players each and every day.   While they don't get a special tribute,  many of these supporting players are featured more so then stars since they were in a lot more films.    e.g.  with actors like Ward Bond, who were in over 100 movies,  it would be rare for a week to go by where he isn't in at least one movie.   

In regards to character actors appearing everyweek, that goes without saying.  However my desire is to have a more focused approach to some of the leading character actors and what their contributions meant overall to the movies they appeared in as well as the added value they gave in a particular role.  For example I realized while watching A Guy Named Joe that without James Gleason playing Joe's agent the movie would have been much less sparkly. 

There are two great books on the character actors, both of which I found on "you know who" dot com and throroughly enjoyed and appreciate how the book's information enhanced my viewing of classic movies.  Additionally Casablanca, my #1 all time classic, would be nothing without the characters in the background including the added personal knowledge that most of the actors were European refugees...it just adds to the pleasure. 

If TCM is smart, they had better be reviewing and monitoring the posts...they keep telling me they wouldn't be where they were without their viewers (true since I have to pay xtra $ to keep them on my cable listing) as well as providing attendees to the TCM Film Fest and Cruise...so come on TCM put a little "character" into the viewing schedule and programming.

In regards to character actors appearing everyweek, that goes without saying.  However my desire is to have a more focused approach to some of the leading character actors and what their contributions meant overall to the movies they appeared in as well as the added value they gave in a particular role.  For example I realized while watching A Guy Named Joe that without James Gleason playing Joe's agent the movie would have been much less sparkly. 

There are two great books on the character actors, both of which I found on "you know who" dot com and throroughly enjoyed and appreciate how the book's information enhanced my viewing of classic movies.  Additionally Casablanca, my #1 all time classic, would be nothing without the characters in the background including the added personal knowledge that most of the actors were European refugees...it just adds to the pleasure. 

If TCM is smart, they had better be reviewing and monitoring the posts...they keep telling me they wouldn't be where they were without their viewers (true since I have to pay xtra $ to keep them on my cable listing) as well as providing attendees to the TCM Film Fest and Cruise...so come on TCM put a little "character" into the viewing schedule and programming.

As I said,  TMC shows character actors \ supporting players each and every day in each and every film.   Ok a tribute now and than would be nice,  but to imply that TCM doesn't show films that highlight character actors \ supporting players is just not true.

I would like TCM to consider a "Character of the Month" in addition to a Star of the Month.

Character Actor of the Month is a good idea, except it would be taking up more weekly space in general. I'm thinking more of a single monthly tribute (SOTM) that would extend to character actors, and even directors and other behind-the-scenes people. I'm sorry to say that extended tributes don't hold my interest forever, and I'm becoming more of a believer in the basic day-to-day scheduling. (Months like SUTS helped to convince me.) I'm even starting to get tired of Friday Night Spotlight because the theme is often not even very good for a single night, much less four nights a month. So, when TCM makes a questionable choice for this we have to put up with it for four times as long.

To Advanced Member:  Excellent observation and comment...I did grow rather depressed by the WWI tribute...maybe two movies a night and something we don't see regularly, I think I know Sergeant York backward and forward.  And to be truthful...they did have a George Coburn Day...as he won an Oscar I believe for More the Merrier. 

A simultaneous "Character of the Month"  with just one or two of their oustanding roles would make for a good topic with discussion by Robert or Ben with a screen writer or director on what the character actor's role and actions/inactions did to enhance the move...like was it the relationship, the antagonism, the social or other strata represented etc. that truly provided the movie with a little more zing. 

I just know TCM staff have to read these posts so maybe if enough TCM Fans as in "True Classic Movie" fans get on board they might think about recongizing character actors for the 2015 film year.  Another thing...they could expand the "What a Character" to include more than what they have and show them more frequently...that would pacify me somewhat. 

Character Actor of the Month is a good idea, except it would be taking up more weekly space in general. I'm thinking more of a single monthly tribute (SOTM) that would extend to character actors, and even directors and other behind-the-scenes people. I'm sorry to say that extended tributes don't hold my interest forever, and I'm becoming more of a believer in the basic day-to-day scheduling. (Months like SUTS helped to convince me.) I'm even starting to get tired of Friday Night Spotlight because the theme is often not even very good for a single night, much less four nights a month. So, when TCM makes a questionable choice for this we have to put up with it for four times as long.

It would not be difficult for TCM to have Character Actor of the Month, running alongside SOTM and even a D(irector)OTM. There is already a shortage of months for all the stars people here want to see honored, , so a separate,.concurrent designation would work well imo. It doesn't seem unfeasible, and may give those not happy with a given SOTM another reason to tune in, as the charcter actor will have various stars topbilled in his/her films.

Btw, TCM already does mini tributes to many of these characters, with birthday tributes, etc., usually in the morning and daytime hours.

It would not be difficult for TCM to have Character Actor of the Month, running alongside SOTM and even a D(irector)OTM. There is already a shortage of months for all the stars people here want to see honored, , so a separate,.concurrent designation would work well imo. It doesn't seem unfeasible, and may give those not happy with a given SOTM another reason to tune in, as the charcter actor will have various stars topbilled in his/her films.

Btw, TCM already does mini tributes to many of these characters, with birthday tributes, etc., usually in the morning and daytime hours.

I agree that the concept of a Character Actor of the Month doesn't make sense to me for the reasons you state.   This is why my recommendation was Supporting Stars of the Month;  Stars.     Just like SOTM take a day of the week,  (say Tuesday),  and feature ONE character actor \ supporting actor that day.   This allows for 4 - 5 different actors per month.