Sign in to follow this  
slappy3500

STERLING HAYDEN

9 posts in this topic

After watching "Johnny Guitar" for the first time recently, I am reminded how much I have enjoyed the quirky acting and career of Sterling Hayden. He was great in the Kubrick films "THe Killing" and "Dr Strangelove". His General Jack D. Ripper is supremely scary and frightening at the same time. The only comparable performances are Mitchum in "Cape Fear" and Joe Peschi in "Goodfellas". (" Funny? Funny how? I'm here to amuse you?")And he was unforgetable as he corrupt NYC police captain in "Godfather". Even his military career was quirky. He won the silver star as a Marine commando running weapons to Tito's partisans in WWII. His brief flirtation with Tito's brand of communism, created ramifications which haunted him after he recanted and testified before the HUAC during the red scare. A hugely underated actor.

I just recently watched an episode of one of my favorite shows from the 1970's BANACEK starring George Peppard. The episode co-starred Hayden and was from I think around 1975 (a few year's after The Godfather) and it was sad to see how old Hayden had gotten. He was a shell of the man he had once been, and if I didn't recognize his voice I wouldn't of known it was him. He didn't ultimately die until 1986.

I always liked Sterling Hayden too. He was also excellent in THE ASPHALT JUNGLE, one of my favorite film noirs.

He also had a great comment on working with Joan Crawford in JOHNNY GUITAR that always makes me laugh: "There isn't money enough in the world to make me ever make another picture with Joan Crawford...and I like money."

Always liked watching Sterling Hayden perform, especially in "The Killing", "The Asphalt Jungle" and "Suddenly!" with Frank Sinatra.

Mr. Hayden, an early rebel liked bucking the Hollywood system and thought more about his love for the sea. He would take off on his schooner for weeks at a time.

He also wrote a novel about the sea.

He quit Hollywood in 1958 and would act on occasion for financial necessity. He was also once married to the lovely Madeleine Carroll.

I have a few old movie magazines that feature him as Stirling Hayden, before he changed it to Sterling.

Mongo