Sign in to follow this  
Guest TCMhost-Joy

Pre-Code Films

458 posts in this topic

Really liked Ramon Novarro in The Night Is Young (buried in the wee hours). This is one of his best talkie efforts and too bad it was his last starring film. First time I had seen Evelyn Laye. She was ok but kept reminding me of Joan Fontaine. Solid cast was fun: Edward Everett Horton, Herman Bing, Henry Stephenson, Una Merkel, Charles Butterworth & Donald Cook. Might have been a career-saver for Novarro with a stronger leading lady. This would have been a swell role for Marion Davies....Ed

Hmmm...I guess I missed this one. It does sound like an excellent supporting cast: Charles Butterworth, Una Merkel, and Edward Everett Horton. None of them ever give a bad performance--in my opinion.

Novarro is one that I always wished had had a longer career in talkies. I don't think his accent was all that bad (hey, look at Garbo! Dietrich!) and he was a gorgeous honey of a man. Do you think the fact that he was gay, and that LB Mayer disliked gays contributed to his decline? I don't mean that Mayer sabotagued his career or anything, but someone in the front office looking out for your welfare can't hurt now, can it? Or do you think that he just didn't fit into the talkies as well as he did in the silent pictures?

The beautiful maid was Mildred Washington...among others she also appeared in Marlene Dietrich's "Blonde Venus"...

Sorry... the reply beneath is for Alix, asking for the maid in 1933 "Torch Singer" with Claudette Colbert

Hi! I was searching Google, and one of your letters from last year came up as mentioning Valentino's audio recording. You wrote: "Sometimes I listen to Rudolph Valentino's recording of "Pale Hands" he made in l922. This is on a compilation of silent stars and early "talkers"..." This is just what I've been trying to find out-- whether there's some album of early film stars that includes this! So... by 'compilation', what format do you mean? Vinyl LP? CD? Cassette? I'd dearly love to know the title so that I can search for one... or could I possibly pay you to run off a cassette copy for me (if you have a cassette recorder, that is)? As you can tell, I'm very interested in hearing that recording. Can you advise me? Thanks!

Hi! I was searching Google, and one of your letters from last year came up as mentioning Valentino's audio recording. You wrote: "Sometimes I listen to Rudolph Valentino's recording of "Pale Hands" he made in l922. This is on a compilation of silent stars and early "talkers"..." This is just what I've been trying to find out-- whether there's some album of early film stars that includes this! So... by 'compilation', what format do you mean? Vinyl LP? CD? Cassette? I'd dearly love to know the title so that I can search for one... or could I possibly pay you to run off a cassette copy for me (if you have a cassette recorder, that is)? As you can tell, I'm very interested in hearing that recording. Can you advise me? Thanks!

I believe that the official title for this song is The Kashmiri Song. It's on a CD called "Hollywood Sings: Stars of The Silver Screen" on the label ASV Living Era.