Sign in to follow this  
Guest TCMhost-Joy

Pre-Code Films

458 posts in this topic

Guest Cindy

Now, here is another movie I consider a pre-coded one! A great little movie which star's Warren William, Loretta Young and Alice White.

Guest Librarygranni

Baby Face is one of my fav. too. I also love all the precodes Constance Bennett was in. I collect these movies and have tons of them. I am sure you have heard of Mick LaSalle's book Complicated Women. It's about pre code Hollywood and has a great list of precode movies at the end for people who want to start a collection.

Guest Librarygranni

I loved this movie too, especially the ending. Marie Dressler is one of my fav. actresses.

Guest Eve

weren't i'm no angel and she done him wrong precodes? i can understand why no one has said anything about mae west if they weren't but i will except no other excuse.

Guest couchpotato

Wasn't that the film that has the famous Mae West quote, ""Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?"

Guest Librarygranni

I love this actress too. I even named my daugher after her. I did a research paper on her in my film class filled with kids who never even heard of her!

Guest Librarygranni

Trouble in Paradise is another pre code goodie. When Kay Francis says she is going to spank Mr. Marshall oh boy!!

Guest Eve

Mae West didn't officially say the gun in your pocket quote until one of her later films. She did say, however, "Why don't you come up sometime and see me. I'm home every evening." And then Cary Grant says, "I'm busy every evening." I think that Cary Grant was very homosexual. I don't like him. And I don't like Audrey Hepburn. Kinda strange, huh?

Guest Cindy

I have never seen that one? Is it a WB movie? Who else is in it?

Guest js097

Trouble in Paradise was a Paramount release (that may be why we haven't seen it on TCM). It's a sophisticated Ernst Lubitsch comedy with Miriam Hopkins and Kay Francis. I saw it on the big screen in San Fran last December and it holds up nicely. Check it out if you get a chance!

Guest Alix

Glad you brought up EMPLOYEES ENTRANCE. It stars one of my favorite leading men...Warren William. He's so good playing the "seducer." I try to watch every movie of his that comes on. Anyone else like him? He was great in THE MATCH KING, UNDER EIGHTEEN, THREE ON A MATCH...

Guest Cindy

Thanks for the review! If it's a paramount movie I guess we won't get to see it on TCM! I will definitely check it out - if someone shows it!

Guest Cindy

All those movies you mentioned are goodies! Warren is one of my many, many fave stars! He was also great in Goldiggers of 1933! Another movie he played a seducer role was in Bedside. TCM rarely shows this one! I am lucky though too have it on tape.

Guest Alix

Wouldn't it be GREAT if he was the star of the month? I just think he personifies the "man on the make." He is one of my top, all time favorites from the pre-Code era. And I did forget the GOLDDIGGERS OF 1933 role. Not quite the seducer, but very good as the man who tries to resist Joan Blondell.

Guest Cindy

I agree Warren should be star of the month! Lord, only knows I don't think he got the recognition he deserved while he was an actor. So, it would be nice if TCM did make him star of the month!

Guest Librarygranni

Cindy Trouble is very rare and can't get it on video and it's rarely on TV. AMC showed it yrs. ago and it was on the Oxygen network recently with commericals tho. I also love Warren William and think TCM should think about him for star of the month don't you?

Guest spiderbaby

I love this forum! I just bought the DVD of 42nd street, and my jaw was hanging open during the Shuffle Off to Buffalo sequence. The entire movie is a hoot!My current favorite pre-code is CB DeMille's Madame Satan. Anyone else seen this one? It's insane! It begins with two drunk men taking a shower together, and ends with a gigantic party on a docked Zeppelin. There's also a musical tribute to Electricty thrown in (it's like something out of Thomas Pynchon--) and a whole lot of wink-wink, nudge nudge. Makes me want to see some of Mr. DeMille's silents.

Guest Cindy

I agree Warren should be star of the month most definitely!Yes, I have seen Madame Satan and is without a doubt one wild party!

Guest Alix

Yes, what a wild one. I think it's cool that the big wild party is held on a Zeppelin. Ah, the idle rich during the depression!

Guest Alix

I know Jean Harlow's mentioned in another folder somewhere else, but I just wanted to toss this movie out on to the table for discussion. Don't you just love it? It's so naughty that I am amazed that it was ever shown back in 1932. Poor Bill Legendre (Chester Morris) never had a chance once Lil got her hooks into him. I love the scene at the nightclub where he "encounters" Lil in a phone booth, and emerges with lipstick on his neck. I laugh every time I see the waiter patiently point it out to him, and exchange handkerchiefs with him. I also love the line where Lil says in a baby voice , "Bill, am I prettier than she is, huh?" Jean is wonderful as "Lil" and her sidekick, Una Merkel, is a perfect wisecracking friend. Nobody could have played that one like Jean Harlow. What a pre-Code gem!

Guest brooksie

There's nothing more engrossing than a WWilliam film. THE MATCH KING is WW at his best. But he is also so great in LADY FOR A DAY.He was prolific during the pre-Code era. I'm adding my vote for a birthday tribute! What great films could be shown all day!

Guest brooksie

My teenage son thinks that Pacino"s SCARFACE is the greatest. Ha! I say. Muni's SCARFACE blows it away (pun intended).Every time I watch PUBLIC ENEMY, I am amazed by the nihilism in Cagney's character. And that ending! Has always given me the creeps.

Guest brooksie

While I'm on a roll, I have to mention my all time preCode favorite of that genre: I WAS A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG. The newspaper story films of that era, too, were hard hitting. I should know titles but they all just flew out of my head.

Guest Cindy

No way can you compare the Scarface with Paul Muni with today's!Also, Chain Gang is definitely another goody!

Guest Alix

Muni was great in Scarface. I also liked Ann Dvorak as Cesca, his sister. I purchased the video and then 2 weeks later noticed TCM was broadcasting it. Talk about bad timing!