Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Half-way through this year's SUTS-- favorite days so far...?

245 posts in this topic

I think I enjoyed Faye Dunaway's day and Jane Fonda's day the most-- does this mean I like 70s cinema best? Maybe!

My least favorite day was Judy Garland's. Don't misunderstand, I love-love-love Judy but this tribute did not cover any new ground. We see these films all year round every year. I would have been a bit happier if they had aired JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG in primetime on her day. Or maybe even A CHILD IS WAITING-- or how about PIGSKIN PARADE-- something different.

Of the days coming up, I am looking forward to Claudette Colbert's day because Claudette excels in any kind of picture she does. And I also think the programmers have done a good job with Betty Grable's day, covering all the bases-- her work at RKO, Paramount and Fox. So I am looking forward to that one, too.

How about you...?

It's apparent from reading these threads, that I haven't seen nearly as many films as a lot of other people on this thread, so almost each day had different things that would appeal to me, I didn't record everything and anything and only caught snippets here and there airing live; but:

As much as I love Judy Garland, I have to agree that her day wasn't really anything new for me, although that may be my own fault, as I owned most of the films they showed.  I did watch The Clock and A Star is Born even though I already own both on DVD.  I really love The Clock even though I have it, I always end up watching it.  Anyway, I did record and watch Strike Up the Band, and all I can say is meh.  It didn't really do anything for me.  I liked Garland and Rooney's other effort, Girl Crazy, much better.  I wish they had shown They Could Go on Singing and Presenting Lily Mars

I also didn't get much out of William Powell day as they aired most of his collaborations with Myrna Loy and don't get me wrong, I love the Powell and Loy pairing; but I own all those films and was hoping to see some more of his work.  I did record Crossroads and it was my own fault, I forgot to record a movie or two that aired prior to the Powell/Loy marathon, so I missed those. 

I really liked the Barbara Stanwyck day as there were many films of hers I hadn't seen and I also liked the Carole Lombard day for the same reason.  I also caught a fun film noir, Conflict, with Humphrey Bogart on Alexis Smith day.  If I didn't already own all of Smith and Errol Flynn's films together, Alexis Smith day would have been my favorite, because it had 3 Errol movies on in a row!

I'm also looking forward to:

Claudette Colbert

Paul Newman

Joseph Cotten

Betty Grable

Alan Ladd

• Like 1

For me it was Jeanne Moreau, by a mile.  Bay of Angels and The Lovers was the best one-two punch of TCM premieres all year, let alone in August.  I'd been waiting for both of them for what seems like forever, and was thrilled that they finally arrived.

OTOH it would have been much closer a call if I hadn't seen 90% to 100%% of my other favorite actors' movies many times already.  Premieres are what make a day stand out for me, not the 10th showing of a movie I like but have seen 5 times.  Barbara Stanwyck is my favorite American actor ever, but her SUTS day didn't feature a single movie I hadn't already seen at least twice. But maybe I'm just getting jaded.

Going forward, the two highlights look like Lee Tracy and Arlene Dahl.  Seeing all three of the Alan Ladd / Veronica Lake noir films in one days is going to be great, but all three of them have also been shown on a regular basis every since I can remember, so it's not that big a deal.

• Like 1

Going forward, the two highlights look like Lee Tracy and Arlene Dahl.  Seeing all three of the Alan Ladd / Veronica Lake noir films in one days is going to be great, but all three of them have also been shown on a regular basis every since I can remember, so it's not that big a deal.

I agree about Stanwyck's day. There are some titles TCM could premiere from her film resume that have never been shown.

The Lee Tracy day should be good but I do not expect the films to have pristine prints since they are mostly MGM programmers and RKO B films. The Arlene Dahl films will be okay but most will be MGM formula fluff. Her later stuff at Columbia is much more interesting. 

TCM should try to air SAIGON, a rarely seen film that stars Ladd & Lake. Where is it hiding?

Oh, good question TopBilled.

William Powell and Cary Grant's were my favorite days, amazingly giving me a new appreciation for Powell after all these years. I already adored him, but have come to realize he was as wonderful as Grant as it related to talent.

As to the films, Hot Heiress, Hot Saturday (and boy were they were ever) and Paul Muni's Hi Nellie were eye openers. I never knew Muni was capable of humor.

Loved Fay Dunaway's day.  Walter Pidgeon.  Jeanne Moreau.  Paul Muni.   And Herbert Marshall (although I missed not seeing The Enchanted Cottage).

AND - being on the East Coast, Chinatown was on at midnight.  A LOT of the good movies they showed were after midnight.  Some of us have to get up in the morning.......

It would be nice if they put the movies they show at 12:00 midnight on their On Demand List.  That happened to me on MOST of the days I liked, ALL the movies with Mastroianni in them (GRRR!) and Judy Garland's day with A Star is Born, too.  I would have watched them over network television any time.

Some of them have been on my tablet (none with Mastroianni, of course).  The app has different movies than On Demand.  Um, what?

Snoozers?  Or SOS, at the very least?   Cary Grant.  Judy Garland.  Brando.   :P

Barbara Stanwyck is my favorite American actor ever, but her SUTS day didn't feature a single movie I hadn't already seen at least twice. But maybe I'm just getting jaded.

I'm also a big fan of Barbara Stanwyck but was disappointed that SO BIG was not aired on her day....even though I have seen this movie a few times.

And, by the way, cabbages are beautiful.

I don't have a particular favorite day.  My viewing is fairly limited to early evenings during the week and pretty much all day Sunday.  I try to make it a point to see as much of a star as I can before I go to work each morning.  I do like that TCM is giving a day to lesser-known stars and supporting players such as Walter Pidgeon, Thelma Ritter, John Hodiak, Lee Tracy, and Gladys George.  This 2014 version of SUTS is pretty good, with a nice variety of stars featured and films shown, even though there's no way I could watch all of them.

• Like 2

I think the days I have enjoyed  the most so far are the days honoring the less famous names like John Hodiak and Herbert Marshall plus my favorites Barbara Stanwyck and William Powell and discovering Hot Saturday (which, as I said on another thread, I hope to see from the beginning next time).

Loved Fay Dunaway's day.  Walter Pidgeon.  Jeanne Moreau.  Paul Muni.   And Herbert Marshall (although I missed not seeing The Enchanted Cottage).

AND - being on the East Coast, Chinatown was on at midnight.  A LOT of the good movies they showed were after midnight.  Some of us have to get up in the morning.......

It would be nice if they put the movies they show at 12:00 midnight on their On Demand List.  That happened to me on MOST of the days I liked, ALL the movies with Mastroianni in them (GRRR!) and Judy Garland's day with A Star is Born, too.  I would have watched them over network television any time.

Some of them have been on my tablet (none with Mastroianni, of course).  The app has different movies than On Demand.  Um, what?

Snoozers?  Or SOS, at the very least?   Cary Grant.  Judy Garland.  Brando.   :P

HOT SATURDAY? S/O? Snoozer? Um, okay.

I think the days I have enjoyed  the most so far are the days honoring the less famous names like John Hodiak and Herbert Marshall plus my favorites Barbara Stanwyck and William Powell and discovering Hot Saturday (which, as I said on another thread, I hope to see from the beginning next time).

Same here, ChristineHoard. I'll be curious to see if it's good when it isn't being shocking.

Barbara Stanwyck is my favorite American actor ever, but her SUTS day didn't feature a single movie I hadn't already seen at least twice. But maybe I'm just getting jaded.

I'm also a big fan of Barbara Stanwyck but was disappointed that SO BIG was not aired on her day....even though I have seen this movie a few times.

So Big is one of my all-time favorite Stanwycks, but as you note, it's been shown many times on TCM over the past few years.  What would've brought Stanwyck's day up to the level of Jeanne Moreau's would have been the inclusion of The Lady Gambles, No Man of Her Own, and The File On Thelma Jordon.  Those were three of her best movies,  released back-to-back-to back in 1949-50, but I've never seen any of them on TCM.

So Big is one of my all-time favorite Stanwycks, but as you note, it's been shown many times on TCM over the past few years.  What would've brought Stanwyck's day up to the level of Jeanne Moreau's would have been the inclusion of The Lady Gambles, No Man of Her Own, and The File On Thelma Jordon.  Those were three of her best movies,  released back-to-back-to back in 1949-50, but I've never seen any of them on TCM.

THE FILE ON THELMA JORDON last aired on TCM when Stanwyck was a SUTS honoree in 2008.

THE FILE ON THELMA JORDON last aired on TCM when Stanwyck was a SUTS honoree in 2008.

Dang. Seems like it's been on since then. I know it was (and may still be) available on youtube for free, in full.

God, Wendell Corey plays the stupidest man alive in that film. Not until Bill Pullman in Ruthless People would someone play such a perfectly dumb character in a film.

Dang. Seems like it's been on since then. I know it was (and may still be) available on youtube for free, in full.

God, Wendell Corey plays the stupidest man alive in that film. Not until Bill Pullman in Ruthless People would someone play such a perfectly dumb character in a film.

It hasn't. I recorded it on VHS in August 2008 and when I moved last year I threw all those tapes away. I remember hoping it would be included when she was Star of the Month in December 2012 so I could get a copy on DVD, but it wasn't. Another one of those Paramount classics that do not air often on TCM.

That figures, since that was the year before I started watching TCM on a saturation basis.

FYI it still is, which is some consolation.  IMO as a drama it's nearly up to Double Indemnity, with a B-movie atmosphere that fits the noir genre perfectly.  It doesn't have DI's triple star billing, but it makes up for it in other ways.

It hasn't. I recorded it on VHS in August 2008 and when I moved last year I threw all those tapes away. I remember hoping it would be included when she was Star of the Month in December 2012 so I could get a copy on DVD, but it wasn't. Another one of those Paramount classics that do not air often on TCM.

Man. Momma's gettin' old. It seems like just a year or two ago that I remember seeing The File on Thelma Jordan for the first time on TCM. That was the first time I've ever seen it. Wow, I really do feel like it was only a year or two ago....I guess maybe I've had it on youtube.

It's one of those films I have a dialogue with when it is on (ie, I shout things at the screen like "wake up, you utter simp, she is playing you like a nickel slot piano!)- it's a good movie, but again- man Wendell Corey plays a dumb guy. And he does it well- in that he just has to stand there (it's the perfect Wendell Corey role.) And that walking Frigidaire he's married to...It's just one of those movies about domesticity in the 1950's that is (naturally) fraught with tension and lava beneath the ice.

Thelma Jordan combined with Double Indemnity and Martha Ivers becomes The Barbara Stanwyck Unholy Trinity wherein she quite skillfully plays some evil, evil women who know they're going to Hell and don't care even the slightest little bit (because they know they'll be running the joint in no time.)

But I don't think Jordan or Ivers is anywhere near as good a movie as Double Indemnity- but Double Indemnity is about as perfect a film as was ever made.

Thelma Jordan combined with Double Indemnity and Martha Ivers becomes The Barbara Stanwyck Unholy Trinity wherein she quite skillfully plays some evil, evil women who know they're going to Hell and don't care even the slightest little bit (because they know they'll be running the joint in no time.)

You might add Sorry, Wrong Number and make it a Quartet, though Stanwyck's not quite on the level of Pure Evil in that one.

You might add Sorry, Wrong Number and make it a Quartet, though Stanwyck's not quite on the level of Pure Evil in that one.

I wouldn't place the teen killer Martha Ivers in the same boat as Thelma Jordan or Phyllis Dietrichson.

The killing in Ivers was a crime of passion.  It wasn't planned and it was done by a teen that was bullied.     So I'd give her 25 years but not the death penalty. 

I wouldn't place the teen killer Martha Ivers in the same boat as Thelma Jordan or Phyllis Dietrichson.

The killing in Ivers was a crime of passion.  It wasn't planned and it was done by a teen that was bullied.     So I'd give her 25 years but not the death penalty.

Fair point, and anyway,  I never cared much for that movie to begin with.  Lizabeth Scott's talents are wasted when she gets cast in sympathetic roles.  She's only truly in her element as a femme fatale in Too Late For Tears and Dead Reckoning.

Fair point, and anyway,  I never cared much for that movie to begin with.  Lizabeth Scott's talents are wasted when she gets cast in sympathetic roles.  She's only truly in her element as a femme fatale in Too Late For Tears and Dead Reckoning.

I'm a big fan of Martha Ivers and it is one of my top 3 Stanwyck movies.    I guess I just like how Douglas, Van Heflin and Stanwyck play off each other in the film.    As for Scott;  Well I agree with you that she is best used as a femme fatale.      But something about Liz in those shorts still makes this an interesting movie for me.   ;)

The Hodiak and Moreau days are my favorites so far.  I had not seen "A Bell For Adano" before and enjoyed it a lot.  I thought the ending was very good with Hodiak leaving at dawn to the sound of the new bell with nobody in town knowing he is going.  Sure like William Bendix a lot in whatever movie he is in too.  Moreau is just a great actress with a great range.  I always really liked her small vibrant role in "The Train" opposite Burt Lancaster as the world-weary hotel owner.  That role is my earliest recollection of her in a  movie I saw on the big screen decades ago.  Great actress that had a fine day on TCM.

• Like 1