Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

Actors you associate with one another (for no particular reason)

97 posts in this topic

Audrey Hepburn and Jean Simmons

Is this another Lookalike thread? Lol.

Every time I hear the name Jean Simmons, I think about the actress and Kiss at the same time.

Gene%20Simmons.jpg

Is this another Lookalike thread? Lol.

Every time I hear the name Jean Simmons, I think about the actress and Kiss at the same time.

Gene%20Simmons.jpg

Okay then. In THAT case it's now MY turn to say, "The horror...the horror" to THAT statement.

'Cause even withOUT all that makeup on there, Gene is STILL one ugly dude...

Gene+Simmons+Premiere+Lionsgate+Films+La

(...and thus the VERY reason I would NEVER think of HIM at the same time I hear the name "Simmons" being talked about...nope, MY first thought is ALWAYS about that foxy little brunette British actress)

• Like 1

Of course, Brian Donlevy and Brian Aherne

Mr Roberts offered what I believe the OP said this topic really is about (therefore there IS a particular reason): 

"I'm taking this to mean actors who can sometimes get mistaken for one another, or  better put,  easily could have been  substituted for one another in roles.  Like Lionel Atwill and George Zucco".

If one agrees with Mr Roberts then those two Brians don't fit the particular reason stated above.

Mr Roberts offered what I believe the OP said this topic really is about (therefore there IS a particular reason): 

"I'm taking this to mean actors who can sometimes get mistaken for one another, or  better put,  easily could have been  substituted for one another in roles.  Like Lionel Atwill and George Zucco".

Well, then one of the greatest pairings ever would be Sir C. Aubrey Smith and Henry Stephenson. Each appeared in a Tarzan movie starring Johnny Weismuller and Maureen O'Sullivan.

Well, then one of the greatest pairings ever would be Sir C. Aubrey Smith and Henry Stephenson. Each appeared in a Tarzan movie starring Johnny Weismuller and Maureen O'Sullivan.

Aubrey Smith and Henry Stephenson are very good choices (assuming we understand the topic here).

Assume one was in charge of casting:   They want one of these gentlemen for a role but he isn't available for the part (often a high class father or uncle type).   One would just brings in the other guy. 

Maybe a little less vague thread title next time?

Oh, thread title has nothing to do with the tangents they take.  In this case, I'm fine with posters taking the intent of the title however they want.

Ack!  Yes! One of my favorite associations.  How could I have overlooked them?  Imagine the queerness of seeing them both in the same movie!

Ack!  Yes! One of my favorite associations.  How could I have overlooked them?  Imagine the queerness of seeing them both in the same movie!

Yes. I should have mentioned they both were in "Little Lord Fauntleroy" (1936).

You know, I associate Jean Simmons and Jennifer Jones

I always get Jean Simmons and Jean Peters mixed up.

You know, I associate Jean Simmons and Jennifer Jones

I've always believed that Simmons and Vivien Leigh resembled each other. They were in the same movie once -- "Caesar and Cleopatra" (1945) -- and the very young Simmons played one of Cleopatra's handmaidens. The young Joan Collins also seemed to have been created from the same mold.

I always get Jean Simmons and Jean Peters mixed up.

Apparently Jean Simmons reminds people of just about every actress. Does she have the universal face?

John Hodiak and Stephen McNally, and probably because they were both great at playing intelligent but less than honorable types.

John Hodiak and Stephen McNally, and probably because they were both great at playing intelligent but less than honorable types.

I don't associated McNally with intelligent characters.  But maybe I have seen Johhny Belinda too many times.

I don't associated McNally with intelligent characters.  But maybe I have seen Johhny Belinda too many times.

Could be, however I recall McNally often playing the leader of some outlaw gang, and which usually requires such a character to be the brightest of that kind of bunch.

Could be, however I recall McNally often playing the leader of some outlaw gang, and which usually requires such a character to be the brightest of that kind of bunch.

The brightest of that kind of bunch reminds me of my favorite saying about 'not so bad'.   i.e. how bright one actually is depends on how bright the rest of that bunch is!

But really if you asked me for my first impression of McNally's screen persona it would be as a brute and a bully. 

The brightest of that kind of bunch reminds me of my favorite saying about 'not so bad'.   i.e. how bright one actually is depends on how bright the rest of that bunch is!

But really if you asked me for my first impression of McNally's screen persona it would be as a brute and a bully. 

So, no props for McNally's portrayal as the kindly hospital administrator and mentor to Sidney Poitier's young intern character in "No Way Out"? 

(...see?!...he could play "intelligent" characters too, ya know) ;)

So, no props for McNally's portrayal as the kindly hospital administrator and mentor to Sidney Poitier's young intern character in "No Way Out"? 

(...see?!...he could play "intelligent" characters too, ya know) ;)

McNally was a lawyer before becoming an actor so I assume he was an intelligent guy.   (of course maybe that also makes him a snake!).

Funny you mention No Way Out since that was the film he made after Winchester '73.  (a performances were he is really a brute since he killed his own father and was out to kill his brother).

So while he is a brute in many of this roles clearly producers didn't type cast him as only a brute since his screen persona in No Way Out is much different than in Winchester '73.

• Like 1

the actor thurston hall.

i always immediately think of jim backus.

i'm quite certain that sherwood schwartz 'jacked' hall's name to create his thurston howell character in gilligan's island.