Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

Actors you associate with one another (for no particular reason)

97 posts in this topic

Or maybe there is one.  Perhaps they seem similar, or appeared in a number of movies together.  Here are some I associate:

Aileen McMahon, Helen Broderick

Dub Taylor, Strother Martin

Slim Pickens, Chill Wills, Andy Devine

Brian Aherne, Michael Wilding, Ian Hunter

Christopher Plummer, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing

The last three maybe because they were in so many Hammer horror movies together.

Or maybe there is one.  Perhaps they seem similar, or appeared in a number of movies together.  Here are some I associate:

Aileen McMahon, Helen Broderick

Dub Taylor, Strother Martin

Slim Pickens, Chill Wills, Andy Devine

Brian Aherne, Michael Wilding, Ian Hunter

Christopher Plummer, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing

The last three maybe because they were in so many Hammer horror movies together.

Eugene Pallette and Walter Connolly

• Like 1

At least half of today's modern young actors who have come from a television background.  I can't tell one from another.  

No characters like E.G. Robinson, Bette Davis of Humphrey Bogart.  How would they have faired in today's bland world I wonder?

• Like 2

Are we discussing actors whom if we see them in a movie, we expect to see another actor in the same film?

If so:

Humphrey Bogart, Peter Lorre, Sydney Greenstreet

John Huston (not an actor persay, but if I see his name on the credits...) & Humphrey Bogart

Errol Flynn and Alan Hale

Or are we discussing actors who we confuse for one another?

For some reason, I get David Niven and Peter Sellers mixed up.  I have no idea why and am well aware that they look different than one another, it just happens...

• Like 2

Errol Flynn & Alan Hale

Alan Ladd & William Bendix

Barbara Stanwyck & Fred MacMurray

John Wayne, Victor McLaglen, Maureen O'Hara, & Ward Bond

Greer Garson & Walter Pidgeon

James Mason and Gregory Peck. I don't associate them together, nor do I get them mixed up, but somehow they tend to remind me of one another.

• Like 1

Or are we discussing actors who we confuse for one another?

For some reason, I get David Niven and Peter Sellers mixed up.  I have no idea why and am well aware that they look different than one another, it just happens...

That's what I meant, but as you may have observed elsewhere, posters never feel constrained by the OP's intention.

James Mason and Gregory Peck. I don't associate them together, nor do I get them mixed up, but somehow they tend to remind me of one another.

Bingo.

A pattern is developing here.

Cheerio, Ol' Boy!

(...though I still say Herbert and Alan are a more logical duo here than Herbie and Georgie...THAT I just don't see)

Eugene Pallette and Walter Connolly

I get Eugene Pallette and Walter Connolly mixed up too! When I see one of them in a film, I'm wondering, "oh, is that Friar Tuck? oh wait, no it's Olivia de Havilland's grandfather in Four's a Crowd."

Thelma Ritter and Una Merkel.  When I first saw All About Eve, I thought it was Verbena from The Parent Trap, until I looked them up on imdb and realized they were two different people.

I associate KEVIN McCARTHY (1914-2010) and ROBERT WEBBER (1924-1989) with one another.  They should have played brothers in a 1970s Tv movie! 

I can't help but associate ALEC GUINNESS with PETER SELLERS whenever I watch "A Passage To India".  The first time I saw the movie when Guinness appears my first thought was:  "My God, Peter Sellers has been resurrected!"  Birdie Num Nums!  :P

I'm taking this to mean actors who can sometimes get mistaken for one another, or  better put,  easily could have been  substituted for one another in roles.  Like Lionel Atwill and George Zucco.

I'm taking this to mean actors who can sometimes get mistaken for one another, or  better put,  easily could have been  substituted for one another in roles.  Like Lionel Atwill and George Zucco.

Google supports your association. A search for George Zucco, clicking on images, yields you Lionel Atwill as an alternate suggestion.  Also Henry Daniel.

I associate KEVIN McCARTHY (1914-2010) and ROBERT WEBBER (1924-1989) with one another.  They should have played brothers in a 1970s Tv movie! 

I can't help but associate ALEC GUINNESS with PETER SELLERS whenever I watch "A Passage To India".  The first time I saw the movie when Guinness appears my first thought was:  "My God, Peter Sellers has been resurrected!"  Birdie Num Nums!  :P

Funny, I always associated Kevin McCarthy with Arthur Kennedy. I always thought that they could have been brothers they reminded me so much of each other. 

8829954_130095251421.jpg

Michael Wilding

0000agrnger_zps557692bc.jpg

Stewart Granger

Then there's name confusion -- Dermot Mulroney and Dylan McDermott. Jack Warden and Jack Weston. Emily Watson and Emma Watson.

And ever since Nicolas Cage and John Travolta appeared in "Face/Off" (1997), I've always tended to wonder how one would have fared in the other's films.

And ever since Nicolas Cage and John Travolta appeared in "Face/Off" (1997), I've always tended to wonder how one would have fared in the other's films.

The horror!  The horror!