Sign in to follow this  
Film Fan 50s 60s 70s

What's the Weather Like where you are ?

560 posts in this topic

If one owns a place with a HOA,  I really recommend they attend the meetings.    I didn't at first but I did when I could see that the HOA was spending money to improve the landscape in some areas under the HOA and not others.   It just so happened that section getting all the nice trees etc... was where the HOA board members lived!    The landscape company was owned by the brother-in-law of one of the board members.

So I went to the meeting and asked if I could audit where the budget dollars were going.   As soon as I mentioned AUDIT,  at the meeting,  the board said they would meet with me after the meeting.    Long story short;  My section got improved and within 3 months another landscape company was hired.

Apparently, you're not a C.P.A., but you play one at the Homeowner's Association meetings.

After a brief hot spell here, it's much cooler than usual around here.  And since one of my doctors has me on the blood thinner COUMADIN, I feel the COLD more intensly than ever before.  I'm actually SHIVERING while I'm typing this!  And it's supposedly 73 degrees outside!

Sepiatone

The Farmer's Almanac is predicting another brutal winter coming up for southern Ontario. Since the almanac has an 80 percent accuracy rate, I am not at all happy with the news.

Today they are having snow (!!!) in Calgary, Alberta.

After a brief hot spell here, it's much cooler than usual around here.  And since one of my doctors has me on the blood thinner COUMADIN, I feel the COLD more intensly than ever before.  I'm actually SHIVERING while I'm typing this!  And it's supposedly 73 degrees outside!

Sepiatone

If it were 73 degrees here in Central Florida, I'd be shivering too. Around here, 70 is darn cold.. uh, darn-it.

If it were 73 degrees here in Central Florida, I'd be shivering too. Around here, 70 is darn cold.. uh, darn-it.

Yesterday and today was like Florida.   In the high 80s with a lot of humidity.    

I'm going to sing and play the song Sunny Afternoon.   Yea, the song was written about Endland but today it applies to So Cal.

I' don't think doing this will help,  in fact, with my singing I might be hit by lighting!  

Yesterday and today was like Florida.   In the high 80s with a lot of humidity.    

I'm going to sing and play the song Sunny Afternoon.   Yea, the song was written about Endland but today it applies to So Cal.

I' don't think doing this will help,  in fact, with my singing I might be hit by lighting!  

Maybe.. hopefully, you can scare up some water.

:)

I hear more people are now beginning to drill for water in California and this is scaring some who believe removing the water will further unsettle the underground which, in turn (they believe), will cause more movement in the underground as dried up pockets collapse.. possibly affecting the faults.

There was no scientific basis to explain this, they were just extrapolating based on their fears.

more heavy storms expected over tonight (just what we don't need) :(

(wish we could ship some of this to the drought folks in CA)

It's raining lightly as I type this.  Whichis GOOD because the forecast called for more strong storms.  NOW, I can't mow the lawn.  Which I NEVER complain about!  :D

I  mean, I NEVER complain about not being able to do it because of the weather.

Sepiatone

more heavy storms expected over tonight (just what we don't need) :(

(wish we could ship some of this to the drought folks in CA)

Thousands of years ago, viaduct systems were constructed to route water from mountain tops wayyyyy down to the inner cities - where it was further routed to individual end points. Why aren't these types of solutions utilized in our time? I'm sure there are many reasons; but why wouldn't we even think of trying to begin with? Has our society just plain given up on solutions which do not come in little clam-shell packages from China?

It's really like the movie WALL-E.. where the current "ark" of human populace do nothing but lounge about in cushy recliners doing nothing but eat and use up oxygen while the master computer takes care of everything.

..or something like that

:P

• Like 1

Thousands of years ago, viaduct systems were constructed to route water from mountain tops wayyyyy down to the inner cities - where it was further routed to individual end points. Why aren't these types of solutions utilized in our time? I'm sure there are many reasons; but why wouldn't we even think of trying to begin with? Has our society just plain given up on solutions which do not come in little clam-shell packages from China?

It's really like the movie WALL-E.. where the current "ark" of human populace do nothing but lounge about in cushy recliners doing nothing but eat and use up oxygen while the master computer takes care of everything.

..or something like that

I checked with the Weather Girls, and tonight it's going to be raining men...........Halleluyah..

• Like 1

I checked with the Weather Girls, and tonight it's going to be raining men...........Halleluyah..

In Chick-a-go?

Ten minutes to Wahpner

..or something like that

Most of the water used in So Cal comes from mountain tops via aqueducts.    In the state capitial they are planning on voting for yet another major project to bring water from the the north to the south (since the snow pack in the Sierras isn't keeping up with demand).

It's pretty hot today. They've declared a "Spare the Air" day to keep driving at a minimum. Because of the drought hills and lawns are getting brown. We desperately need rain, but I doubt any will come until October or so. I suppose it could be worse.

Most of the water used in So Cal comes from mountain tops via aqueducts.    In the state capitial they are planning on voting for yet another major project to bring water from the the north to the south (since the snow pack in the Sierras isn't keeping up with demand).

Thank you. I made my comments off the top of my head without being aware of this. I think I'll dig into that a bit - just for my own education.

Since everyone's crying "global warming" these days, it's probably not a good idea to suggest more bergs be harvested from the ice shelf, eh..? 

Thank you. I made my comments off the top of my head without being aware of this. I think I'll dig into that a bit - just for my own education.

Since everyone's crying "global warming" these days, it's probably not a good idea to suggest more bergs be harvested from the ice shelf, eh..? 

Related to movies, and one that wasn't discussed not too long ago at this forum;  have you seen Chinatown?   The plot of that movie relates to getting water from the Sierra mountains to So Cal.

Related to movies, and one that wasn't discussed not too long ago at this forum;  have you seen Chinatown?   The plot of that movies relates to getting water from the Sierra mountains to So Cal.

I have seen Chinatown - about 15 years ago. Interesting.

If one owns a place with a HOA,  I really recommend they attend the meetings.    I didn't at first but I did when I could see that the HOA was spending money to improve the landscape in some areas under the HOA and not others.   It just so happened that section getting all the nice trees etc... was where the HOA board members lived!    The landscape company was owned by the brother-in-law of one of the board members.

So I went to the meeting and asked if I could audit where the budget dollars were going.   As soon as I mentioned AUDIT,  at the meeting,  the board said they would meet with me after the meeting.    Long story short;  My section got improved and within 3 months another landscape company was hired.

Which is why, what we really need in America, more than Universal Health Care, is Universal Legal Care. In fact, many health problems arise from issues that could have been solved through legal means, but weren't, if only the money to pursue it could have been had.

71º and overcast here in Central Florida and I've got my heat cranked up to 86º to keep me from freezing. 103fz8o_th.gif

Rain!  We finally had a nice steady rain for several hours.  Heaven.  And we desperately need it here in California.

I wish we would get a rain like that here in So Cal.    I still go hiking on most days but the area is really, really dry.   I wonder what the litter critters I love so much are living off of.