Sign in to follow this  
Film Fan 50s 60s 70s

What's the Weather Like where you are ?

562 posts in this topic

Well Autumn is officially here in Oregon.  That means that for the next 6-8 months (until at least May), our weather reports will consist of reports of "showers," "rain," "heavy rain," "light rain," "light showers," "heavy showers," "drizzle," "trace amounts of rain," "sprinkles," etc. basically all these things say is that it is going to rain in Oregon.

Right now, the leaves are on their way to turning red and yellow and there is the smell of rain in the air.  It is a beautiful sight and an amazing smell.  I love Fall in Oregon.  Apples, Pumpkin, Thanksgiving, Football, it is all amazing.

Winter on the other hand... bleh... I hate winter.

• Like 1

I wish we would get a rain like that here in So Cal.    I still go hiking on most days but the area is really, really dry.   I wonder what the litter critters I love so much are living off of.

Do you ever go hiking in the Santa Monica Mountains? I used to do a lot of running there.

Do you ever go hiking in the Santa Monica Mountains? I used to do a lot of running there.

Yes,  I have gone hiking in the Santa Monica Mountains,  but that is around 45 miles north of where I live.  Since I hike many days a week (unless it is too hot),  I go to the local areas around the OC.

I wish we would get a rain like that here in So Cal.    I still go hiking on most days but the area is really, really dry.   I wonder what the litter critters I love so much are living off of.

I worry about the critters, too.  This summer I put a bowl of water out for the squirrels as they looked pretty ragged.  That's in addition to their daily peanuts, of course.  :)

I turned on the heater for the first time since last winter, last Thursday night.

This is the most coolest weather stations ever conceived.  Built mine in 1990 and been going strong ever since.  Had to replace rain guage though. One won't find this at Wal Mart.

I worry about the critters, too.  This summer I put a bowl of water out for the squirrels as they looked pretty ragged.  That's in addition to their daily peanuts, of course.  :)

Well we got our first rain here in So Cal in something like 7 months.   But it was only a little.    Those critters need more.

Well we got our first rain here in So Cal in something like 7 months.   But it was only a little.    Those critters need more.

I haven't heard the forecast for tomorrow, but I was just in Whole Foods, and it was jammed. That must mean a forecast of some snow. People get scared to death.

We had a pretty good rain on Halloween into Saturday morning.  It's a start.

Had to scrape the frost off my wife's car windows this morning.  Wasn't our first freeze but this the first morning of heavy car window frost.  The golden leaves of our Silver Maple tree are snowing all over the yard and need raking.  The high San Juan Mountains 30 miles to the south and southeast are quite white after heavy snow up in the high country over the weekend. Mt. Sneffels  is due south and is over 14,000 feet.  Only a little bit of rain and stiff winds down low in Montrose (elevation 5,800 ft.).   Saw a pair of Golden Eagles soaring hundreds of feet above town a bit ago this morning.  Wish I had the freedom to soar like that for a day.  Autumn is a very nice season here in western Colorado.  Lots of deer and elk hunters out and about in town and in the mountains.  If somebody around here I know wants to give me some elk or deer meat I would not complain.  Very lean and very tasty.

Here's what the weather was at the Oregon coast this past weekend.  If you go to the coast, and it's not raining, it's considered a successful trip!  This was the view from the back patio at the place my husband and I were staying at.

1479522_10100267432096151_71107930554503

• Like 1

First measurable snowfall occurred Saturday into Sunday where I'm at, which is unusually early for us.  On top of that, the temperatures are running about 15 degrees below what they should normally be.  As the air temps have moderated a bit today, much of the snow (about 1-2 inches) is already melting.

First measurable snowfall occurred Saturday into Sunday where I'm at, which is unusually early for us.  On top of that, the temperatures are running about 15 degrees below what they should normally be.  As the air temps have moderated a bit today, much of the snow (about 1-2 inches) is already melting.

Another mini Ice Age may be on the way.  I knew Al Gore was full of it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/24/solar-lull-little-ice-age-sun-scientists_n_4645248.html

Bit of historical trivia...we were in the last mini Ice Age (1350-1850) when George Washington crossed the Delaware.  When was the last time anyone knows when it completely froze over all winter long?  Not referring to occasional thin broad sheets of surface ice.

4621__450x450_20140622-img_5225-natekat.

A Pineapple Express storm is on its way to California.  Apparently it will dump more rainfall in two days than we had all of last year.  Lots of schools will be closed, and people are being told not to go to work if it can be avoided.  I can hear the wind outside now, and bits of redwood trees hitting the roof.  We've stocked up on the essentials:  cat food, wine, and chocolate. 

• Like 1

A Pineapple Express storm is on its way to California.  Apparently it will dump more rainfall in two days than we had all of last year.  Lots of schools will be closed, and people are being told not to go to work if it can be avoided.  I can hear the wind outside now, and bits of redwood trees hitting the roof.  We've stocked up on the essentials:  cat food, wine, and chocolate. 

Hope all with be fine for you and those in your area with this much needed rain.     Here is So Cal we are only expecting around 2 inches but yea, in the northern part of CA,  they are predicting around 6 in some areas.    That is a lot of water in 2 days!

Here the hills are just starting to turn green.   This rain (and the rain expected 10 or so days after that),  will help.    I have seen only one deer the last 7 months on my hikes and no bobcats.    I'm hoping with this rain nature will recover and I'll start to see more life all around me.

Keep safe! 

I am sure that it will be necessary to twist many people's arms to keep them from going to work!

I hope that you have also proper stores of Kitty Litter! That item has been named number seventy-three in Business Week's ranking of: The 85 Most Disruptive Ideas in Our History.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-12-04/kitty-litters-invention-spawned-pet-cat-industry

It was prior to invention of Kitty Litter than vast majority of cats were indoor-outdoor cats because sand in boxes was convenient but generated unappealing odor. Kitty Litter allowed for many more indoor-only cats to the point that cats outnumber dogs now.

I truly hope that you are safe and secure. I must advise that you remain indoor during rain as you are so very sweet that I fear you might melt in rain. :)

• Like 1

I am sure that it will be necessary to twist many people's arms to keep them from going to work!

I hope that you have also proper stores of Kitty Litter! That item has been named number seventy-three in Business Week's ranking of: The 85 Most Disruptive Ideas in Our History.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-12-04/kitty-litters-invention-spawned-pet-cat-industry

It was prior to invention of Kitty Litter than vast majority of cats were indoor-outdoor cats because sand in boxes was convenient but generated unappealing odor. Kitty Litter allowed for many more indoor-only cats to the point that cats outnumber dogs now.

I truly hope that you are safe and secure. I must advise that you remain indoor during rain as you are so very sweet that I fear you might melt in rain. :)

Thank you very much for your good wishes, SansFin, not to mention the scoop (sorry!) on kitty litter .  That should have topped my list of essentials!

It's a mess up here.  (I realize it's all relative and other parts of the country suffer far worse acts of Mother Nature.)  My main worry is the pool overflowing, as the water is almost to the top.  I asked Mr. Gay D what we should do if that happens--and water pours into the house--and he said "Open a bottle of wine."  Not Boy Scout material, alas, but his blasé attitude is calming, especially after my nerve pill kicked in.   Many areas are without power, so we're lucky in that regard.  

I look forward to a long night of TCM, assuming the satellite dish stays put.  :)  

Thank you very much for your good wishes, SansFin, not to mention the scoop (sorry!) on kitty litter .  That should have topped my list of essentials!

It's a mess up here.  (I realize it's all relative and other parts of the country suffer far worse acts of Mother Nature.)  My main worry is the pool overflowing, as the water is almost to the top.  I asked Mr. Gay D what we should do if that happens--and water pours into the house--and he said "Open a bottle of wine."  Not Boy Scout material, alas, but his blasé attitude is calming, especially after my nerve pill kicked in.   Many areas are without power, so we're lucky in that regard.  

I look forward to a long night of TCM, assuming the satellite dish stays put.  :)  

GayD, I hope you are weathering the storm without discomfort and damage, and with power, supplies, and lots of TCM! 

We've had some miserable days here in NYC, but today was pleasantly cold and clear, and the coming week looks bright. Do you remember when NYC suffered Super Storm Sandy? I was out of the country and missed it, but it was pretty bad. However it had a rather odd bright side. TMI:  I had an MRI several years ago, which showed a little something that needed to be followed.  I had a follow up MRI a few months ago -- it showed what they thought might be a problem was not of consequence. The reason they could see that: my medical center's MRI machines were all destroyed by Sandy; they had to get new ones, which are much more powerful and perceptive!

Every cloud has a silver lining...

GayDivorcee, your storm has moved (or maybe expanded) to the Western half of Oregon.  Today we had 50-70 mph wind gusts in the valley.  I understand that the coast had closer to 80-90.  Power went out in an entire region of the Portland Metro area and clogged up traffic pretty bad.  Power lines fell across two major thoroughfares.  A parapet fell off a building in NW Portland and crushed parked cars.  Fortunately, there wasn't anyone walking on the sidewalk past the building at the time.  In Downtown Portland, a big piece of metal flew off a highrise and flew through the window of an office building across the street.  Again, fortunately, there wasn't anyone hurt.  The storm is supposed to die down in about an hour.  We had a massive windstorm last month on the 11th as well.  I hope this isn't going to become a regular occurrence.  Prior to the wind, we'd been experiencing unseasonably warm weather (50s-60s), which I'm all for.  Snow and ice belong in the mountains.   I'm just happy I have power and I'm relaxing with a homebrew and The Adventures of Robin Hood (I missed it when it was on the other day).

GayDivorcee, your storm has moved (or maybe expanded) to the Western half of Oregon.  Today we had 50-70 mph wind gusts in the valley.  I understand that the coast had closer to 80-90.  Power went out in an entire region of the Portland Metro area and clogged up traffic pretty bad.  Power lines fell across two major thoroughfares.  A parapet fell off a building in NW Portland and crushed parked cars.  Fortunately, there wasn't anyone walking on the sidewalk past the building at the time.  In Downtown Portland, a big piece of metal flew off a highrise and flew through the window of an office building across the street.  Again, fortunately, there wasn't anyone hurt.  The storm is supposed to die down in about an hour.  We had a massive windstorm last month on the 11th as well.  I hope this isn't going to become a regular occurrence.  Prior to the wind, we'd been experiencing unseasonably warm weather (50s-60s), which I'm all for.  Snow and ice belong in the mountains.   I'm just happy I have power and I'm relaxing with a homebrew and The Adventures of Robin Hood (I missed it when it was on the other day).

Just saw the highrise story on the news.  I'm glad no one was hurt in any of it.  Yesterday was really wild, between the wind and the endless downpour.  I saw a few trees down while driving Mr. Gay D to work today, but the neighborhood seems to have survived, though there was flooding in surrounding areas, and other damage.   Lots of footage on TV of people kayaking through the streets!  Hope you stay snug and safe with Robin Hood.

My husband called the weather we are having this evening: "Indian Weather." I am familiar with term: "Indian Summer" but we are not having that. I asked him to explain. He said this is: "Apache Fog."

It is sad to say that it is many years since I have operated back-hoe and I feel it would be inappropriate at my age to dig grave by hand and so I suppose I have no choice but to let him live. This time.

• Like 1

My husband called the weather we are having this evening: "Indian Weather." I am familiar with term: "Indian Summer" but we are not having that. I asked him to explain. He said this is: "Apache Fog."

It is sad to say that it is many years since I have operated back-hoe and I feel it would be inappropriate at my age to dig grave by hand and so I suppose I have no choice but to let him live. This time.

You must have terminal, painful and violent episodes of the insidious brain cancer known as extremus politicalus correctnessmania.  My condolences.

You must have terminal, painful and violent episodes of the insidious brain cancer known as extremus politicalus correctnessmania.  My condolences.

It is case that he becomes insufferably smug when he is able to draw me in to what I believe is serious discussion so that he can zing me with pun. 

I believe very firmly that there must be division of responsibilities and privileges in relationship and that if there is any zinging to be done then it is my sole province to do it.

It is case that he becomes insufferably smug when he is able to draw me in to what I believe is serious discussion so that he can zing me with pun. 

I believe very firmly that there must be division of responsibilities and privileges in relationship and that if there is any zinging to be done then it is my sole province to do it.

I bow to your wit and zinging.  Great answer.

3901494881_d893d92cf4_z.jpg

I'll be fishing for Largemouth Bass tomorrow. High 75 low 58. They will hit spinner baits. 

Jake in the Heartland