Sign in to follow this  
Film Fan 50s 60s 70s

What's the Weather Like where you are ?

562 posts in this topic

The weather here has not been as chaotic as anything seen in the Buffalo area or Oregon and California.  But, it has been depressing, nonetheless.  We haven't had any appreciable sunshine since November 30th.  There has been a little rain since then, but nothing freezing by way of precipitation.  There were some breaks in the clouds Thursday afternoon, but it didn't last into Friday.  Today is another drab, gray day (points to a possible Army upset?), but we could see warmer temperatures and SUNSHINE on Sunday!  Then, back to normal it seems, with rain in the forecast for Monday and Tuesday.  Hope it changes in time for Christmas, because the weather is NOT putting me in a festive mood at the moment.  

The weather here has not been as chaotic as anything seen in the Buffalo area or Oregon and California.  But, it has been depressing, nonetheless.  We haven't had any appreciable sunshine since November 30th.  There has been a little rain since then, but nothing freezing by way of precipitation.  There were some breaks in the clouds Thursday afternoon, but it didn't last into Friday.  Today is another drab, gray day (points to a possible Army upset?), but we could see warmer temperatures and SUNSHINE on Sunday!  Then, back to normal it seems, with rain in the forecast for Monday and Tuesday.  Hope it changes in time for Christmas, because the weather is NOT putting me in a festive mood at the moment.  

It has been odd in California--there was even a tornado in Los Angeles!  Sorry about your gray, drab, dullness.  May the sun shine soon!  

Just saw the highrise story on the news.  I'm glad no one was hurt in any of it.  Yesterday was really wild, between the wind and the endless downpour.  I saw a few trees down while driving Mr. Gay D to work today, but the neighborhood seems to have survived, though there was flooding in surrounding areas, and other damage.   Lots of footage on TV of people kayaking through the streets!  Hope you stay snug and safe with Robin Hood.

Thanks.  After the craziness of Thursday, today we had fog which lifted and turned into blue skies and sunshine.  So random, but any day in Oregon when it's not raining, I'll take it!  Unfortunately, I have heard of one fatality related to the windstorm.  In SW Portland, a woman and her 11-year old son were driving when a tree fell on their car.  The tree falling on the car caused the woman to swerve and hit another tree.  Her son was killed and she's in serious condition at the hospital. 

It always seems like the winter is dominated by one type of weather.  This winter seems to be a wind winter.  Last year was snow winter.  The year before was rain winter.  I'm hoping next year is sun winter. 

It always seems like the winter is dominated by one type of weather.  This winter seems to be a wind winter.  Last year was snow winter.  The year before was rain winter.  I'm hoping next year is sun winter. 

I'm with you for a sun winter!   Cold, crisp, sunny winter days are the best.   

• Like 1

It has been odd in California--there was even a tornado in Los Angeles!  Sorry about your gray, drab, dullness.  May the sun shine soon!  

Yeah, I saw the footage of that on the news---crazy stuff!  Our local forecasters must have messed up.  Saturday started out dreary, then got better as the day went on.  Intermittent sunshine was visible in the afternoon.  Today was supposed to be the one with sunny skies, but so far...nada!  Only thing good about today is that the temperature is running about 15 degrees above normal.  So....I wait, and wait, and wait......seriously, I wish I were in Casablanca!   :lol:

• Like 1

This past week has been mostly overcast, on the cool side, and drizzly. The next few days will be better..

34zk7f7.jpg

Relatively cold, bone-chillingly humid, and dismally gray. It rained this morning, and it's now in the low 30s, with ice on the trees and lines.

Relatively cold, bone-chillingly humid, and dismally gray. It rained this morning, and it's now in the low 30s, with ice on the trees and lines.

Just saw this on my local news.  Snow in Oracle, Arizona (Global warming..yeah, right)

article-0-0C9C907B000005DC-140_634x458.j

Just saw this on my local news.  Snow in Oracle, Arizona (Global warming..yeah, right)

Global warming is so 2000.   The correct term now is climate change.    

Just so you know, Ham, the Daily Mail is notoriously wrong about many things. I don't know what their politics are, but science and health-wise, they tend to be bonkers.

Just so you know, Ham, the Daily Mail is notoriously wrong about many things. I don't know what their politics are, but science and health-wise, they tend to be bonkers.

Well this should satisfy everyone (I hope).  Ever wondered where Greenland got its name?  The Vikings when it was much warmer than today.

http://www.livescience.com/14381-ice-age-viking-departure-greenland.html

http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/mandias/lia/vikings_during_mwp.html

My point is that the Earth has always under went warm to cold (and back again) cycles. 

"Little Ice Age - Big Chill" best documentary made. Narrated by the late Edward Herrmann

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO7m-3Et-bc

Well this should satisfy everyone (I hope).  Ever wondered where Greenland got its name?  The Vikings when it was much warmer than today.

My point is that the Earth has always under went warm to cold (and back again) cycles. 

Tell that to the vast majority of climate scientist that disagree with your POV.

I really don't have an opinion one way or the other since climate science isn't my field of study,  but I have more faith in the opinion of the vast majority of climate scientist than the opinion of the lay people with a political agenda. 

And ham, most historians believe there is truth to the Norse oral history that Eric the Red named the place "Greenland" NOT because it was "green and lush" at that time or at ANYTIME during the era of Viking exploration, but because it was a "sales gimmick", as he wanted his fellow Norsemen enticed by that name enough to move there and colonize it. 

11 degrees F. in NYC -- cold!

Swithin, you will appreciate this. On January 21, 1985 I left Staten Island and went looking for a job despite the fact that it was -2 (not including the chill factor). I was later to find out that the low temperature that day was the coldest in NYC in 43 years. I wasn't wearing anything on the top of my head (unbelievable I know) and suffered what I believe might have been a mild attack of hypothermia. All I know is that I had an uncontrollable shiver attack which lasted probably only a few minutes. After buying a beanie type thing I scrapped the idea of job hunting and instead waited in line at the Metropolitan Opera to see whether I could get a cancellation. After all, what idiot would be out in this cold? (heh heh) I got the seat and saw Domingo, Milnes, and Price (Margaret) sing Otello. I even got my favorite section, the Grand Tier. I don't remember what I paid that day but normally the Grand Tier was $80 back then. I wonder what it is today, probably four times that much.

• Like 1

Swithin, you will appreciate this. On January 21, 1985 I left Staten Island and went looking for a job despite the fact that it was -2 (not including the chill factor). I was later to find out that the low temperature that day was the coldest in NYC in 43 years. I wasn't wearing anything on the top of my head (unbelievable I know) and suffered what I believe might have been a mild attack of hypothermia. All I know is that I had an uncontrollable shiver attack which lasted probably only a few minutes. After buying a beanie type thing I scrapped the idea of job hunting and instead waited in line at the Metropolitan Opera to see whether I could get a cancellation. After all, what idiot would be out in this cold? (heh heh) I got the seat and saw Domingo, Milnes, and Price (Margaret) sing Otello. I even got my favorite section, the Grand Tier. I don't remember what I paid that day but normally the Grand Tier was $80 back then. I wonder what it is today, probably four times that much.

It's 13 now (9:40am) -- "feels like -3."  You gave me an idea -- the Met now has an online rush ticket lottery. Rather than queueing up, you register online from noon on the day. They have Orchestra and Grand Tier tickets for $25.  It's Hansel and Gretel tonight and might be easier to get a ticket due to the weather.

It's 13 now (9:40am) -- "feels like -3."  You gave me an idea -- the Met now has an online rush ticket lottery. Rather than queueing up, you register online from noon on the day. They have Orchestra and Grand Tier tickets for $25.  It's Hansel and Gretel tonight and might be easier to get a ticket due to the weather.

It's 10 here in Philly. The good news is that right now I am dressed like I'm in the stands at a Packers' game in January, and I'm perfectly warm.