mr6666

TCM Imports - Sept. 2014

7 posts in this topic

airs late Sun., 9-14

2:00 am ET
105 min
drama
Il Sorpasso (1961)  PREMIERE

A shy law student meets a bon vivant who takes him for a drive through the Roman and Tuscan countryside.

DirDino Risi CastVittorio Gassman , Jean-Louis Trintignant , Catherine Spaak .

"For a good part of its running time, a contemporary (and ostensibly non-Italian) viewer might not be sure of how to take the film - its comedy is mild and circumstantial, and the social-critique subtext that gives the movie bite could be missed by anyone not familiar with Italian road culture and the social stress it produces."

ARTICLE: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/73849/Il-Sorpasso/articles.html

800full.jpg

4:00 am ET
C- 118 min
comedy
Roma (1972)

A small boy in love with Rome grows up to film the city in all its charismatic chaos.

DirFederico Fellini CastFederico Fellini , Peter Gonzales , Stefano Mayore .

"...building a narrative that has a city for its protagonist instead of a single character. The only sly thing is that the city isn't Rome - it's Fellini, disguised in bricks, mortar, and ruins."

I think that the Il sorpasso article is generally good, but it contains a glaring error.  Catherine Spaak plays Gassman's daughter, not his "disillusioned ex-wife."   

Saw the first half of the movie but the wife and I had to go to sleep.   I hope TCM plays it again.    My wife is from southern Italy (Bari) and I have driven there so we understood where the movie was coming from.    

airs late Sun., 9-21

2:00 am ET   Premiere
99 min
drama

An aristocrat is too proud to curb his extravagant lifestyle even though his riches are turning into debts.

DirSatyajit Ray CastChhabi Biswas , Padma Devi , Pinaki Sengupta .

ARTICLE: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/84248/Music-Room-The/articles.html

large_9jeYEJHRHoWBx08XnlBRC9AXZHi.jpg

followed by

3:45 am ET
126 min
drama

A mother struggles to raise her family in an impoverished village in India.

DirSatyajit Ray CastKanu Banerji , Karuna Banerji , Subir Banerji .
LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Satyajit Ray. Kanu Banerji, Karuna Banerji, Subir Banerji, Runki Banerji, Uma Das Gupta, Chunibala Devi.

"Unrelenting study of a poverty-stricken Indian family in Bengal. Grippingly realistic, with Karuna and Subir Banerji outstanding as the mother and her young son Apu. Ray's feature debut, and the first of his "Apu'' trilogy. Music by Ravi Shankar."

airs Sun., 9-28

2:30 am ET
C- 106 min
drama
Claire's Knee (1970)  PREMIERE

On holiday, a conflicted man lusts after beautiful stepsisters despite his betrothal to a diplomat's daughter.

DirEric Rohmer CastJean-Claude Brialy , Aurora Cornu , Beatrice Romand .

ARTICLE: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/71022/Claire-s-Knee/articles.html

"Rohmer's depiction of a constellation of vivid, unique female characters has always been one of his strongest points, and it serves him especially well here with a film ostensibly about a man's plan to conquer a young girl but actually about so much more."

claires-knee-poster.jpg