Sign in to follow this  
acraven

December Schedule Is Up

40 posts in this topic

A bunch of Ingmar Bergman movies are slotted for the night of December 3.  Haven't checked to see whether they are the same ones previously scheduled but not shown, but I was glad to see Through a Glass Darkly listed.

A bunch of Ingmar Bergman movies are slotted for the night of December 3.  Haven't checked to see whether they are the same ones previously scheduled but not shown, but I was glad to see Through a Glass Darkly listed.

I think that was one of those preempted......

This link does bring up a schedule template for December 2014 (but doesn't show any films), but when I click on US,  it gives me the September schedule.

Cary Grant is SOTM.

Other than Grant as SOTM and I assume some holiday movies,  do you know if there are any other themes in December?

Also,  why do you feel viewers might be disapointed?  (e.g. because TCM is showing mostly 'repeats'?).

This link does bring up a schedule template for December 2014 (but doesn't show any films), but when I click on US,  it gives me the September schedule.

I was just told by another member that the schedule has appeared and disappeared all day. I guess I was lucky to hit it at the right time.

Other than Grant as SOTM and I assume some holiday movies, do you know if there are any other themes in December?

Also, why do you feel viewers might be disapointed? (e.g. because TCM is showing mostly 'repeats'?).

The Friday night spotlight is focusing on director Charles Walters. Yes, quite a few repeats but I do see some early Paramount classics with Cary Grant. And SEPARATE TABLES is on the schedule during an evening of films featuring Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr.

Here's what we have--

Mondays: SOTM Cary Grant

Thursdays: Christmas Classics

Fridays: Spotlight on Charles Walters

Saturdays: Essentials

The highlight for me is The Pearls of the Crown, a crazy French film, directed by Sacha Guitry (1937). I saw it at MOMA years ago and particularly remember Arletty as the Queen of Abyssinia.

Three Carry On movies will be shown, but they're the same ones that were shown a year or so ago, minus one. I love them, but where are the others?

The Ingmar Bergman series looks good, and there are a couple of interesting looking Turkish films. And I'll enjoy seeing Zelig again, and there are some early Edward G. Robinson oldies as well.

I'm glad they're showing Doubt on the 30th. I saw it at the movies one New Year's Eve and think it's one of Meryl Streep's best performances, very interesting film.

Yes, I'd like to second the Guitry films.  Have we shown Paris, Texas before or was that something promised but cancelled, or something promised by not allowed for Canadians?  I hope we get to see Brighton Rock this time.  I'm not clear what the Friday night spotlight is.

Musicals are the spotlight, and not particularly good or rare ones... (Edit: 'Cept for Lili (1953), I don't have anything against that. Actually they're not all musicals, just all directed by Charles Walters, as TB said.)

I was looking over the Silent Sunday/ TCM Imports, and found one primetime on Dec. 21st that is still yet to be programmed. Hey, TCM, how about Oliver Twist (1922), which you took down last December and I'm still waiting patiently for?

Musicals are the spotlight, and not particularly good or rare ones... (Edit: 'Cept for Lili (1953), I don't have anything against that. Actually they're not all musicals, just all directed by Charles Walters, as TB said.)

Glad you corrected that. :)  

Occasionally, MGM had Walters direct comedy programmers, like THREE GUYS NAMED MIKE which is airing on Friday the 5th.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/december2014.html

Here is another link if the others provided aren't working-- they weren't for me.

I love Cary Grant so I am happy with the SOTM selection.  

Looks like Dec 1 daytime is a Joan Crawford marathon.  Because apparently honoring her back January (I think it was January?) was not enough.  Though, I'd like to see The Last of Mrs. Cheyney, but more for William Powell.  There are quite a few Cary Grant movies scheduled for the evening that I haven't seen.  

Dec 2 features a film, Don't Bet on Blondes, which features a young, pre-Captain Blood, Errol Flynn.  I'll have to check that out for sure.

Dec 3. In a Lonely Place, with Humphrey Bogart, I've always wanted to see.  So I'm excited about this.

Dec 4. Remember the Night with Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray.  I haven't seen this collaboration of theirs, so I'm interested in this.

Dec 6. The annual holiday viewing of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.  Every time this film is on, I always intend to DVR it; but I never do for whatever reason.  I will try this next time around.  Apparently if I miss it on this day, it's airing again Dec 10.

Dec 7. Separate Tables.  The cast sounds intriguing enough: David Niven, Rita Hayworth, Deborah Kerr.

Dec 8. More Cary Grant, most of the films scheduled this evening, I've seen/own; but I'd like to see The Bishop's Wife which I haven't seen yet.

Dec 9. The left over Cary Grant: Every Girl Should Be Married, Room For One More, Mr. Lucky, I haven't seen.  I also love that there's an Errol Flynn marathon that evening-- even though I own each film featured.  I just may have to watch anyway ;-)

Dec 11. There seems to be a theme of women from ancient times?  I am interested in seeing Bachelor Mother and Susan Slept Here.

Dec 12. Edward G. Robinson daytime theme.  I really like EGR and gangster films; so this looks like it'll be a good day.

Dec 13. Gaslight and Marnie.  The Underground film looks like The Beast With Five Fingers.  I'm sold on this film based on the title and movie poster.

Dec 15. Love Affair. Cary Grant evening-- Penny Serenade, Kiss Them For Me. (I didn't realize there were so many Cary Grant films I haven't seen!

Dec 16. Left over Cary Grant: Once Upon a Honeymoon and Crisis. The original Posedion Adventure. It seems this evening's theme may be shipwrecks.

Dec 19. Daytime theme Jack Lemmon.  I like Lemmon.  I'd like to see Days of Wine and Roses and The Wackiest Ship in the Army (Jack Lemmon and Ricky Nelson?). 

Dec 21. Christmas in Connecticut-- a Barbara Stanwyck film I haven't seen.

Dec 25. Mel Brooks is the evening theme.  I'm all over that. I missed the films the first time around.

Dec 26. Henry Fonda is the day time theme.  I'm interested in I Dream Too Much, I think that one also has a young Lucille Ball in it.  Later The Wrong Man is on, which is one of the Hitchcocks I haven't seen yet.

Dec 29. Flamingo Road is back again.  I'll watch it this time around.  Cary Grant evening: Father Goose, Walk Don't Run.

Dec 30. Leftover Cary Grant-- Dream Wife, None But the Lonely Heart

Dec 31.  An evening of Rock films.  Tommy, A Hard Day's Night, Gimme Shelter, The Song Remains the Same, sounds like the great way to say good bye to 2014.

Friday Night Spotlight-- seems a lot are musicals.  I didn't notice the director connection until after I'd already posted this and read the rest of the posts. 

Dec 5 The Barkleys of Broadway

Dec 5 The Belle of New York

Dec 12- Torch Song (I just love Torch Songs; I will hope that this film features lots of them)

While I enjoy musicals, most of the ones scheduled are ones I've already seen and/or own; and many others that I'm not interested in.  I'm particular with my musicals.  I like ones that are more dancing oriented and less singing oriented.  The actors and/or the songs have to be particularly interesting for me to be interested in all-singing, no dancing musicals.

It seems that the reactions to December's schedule are mixed.  Overall, there are a ton of things that I'm interested in watching; although, it seems that the schedule started out strong and then they petered out toward the end.  A lot duplicate films... or perhaps overlapping themes?  I dunno.  Overall though, I'm satisfied.  It looks like some themes that were dropped earlier this year have been rescheduled.  It also kind of seems like December is featuring highlights from the entire year's programming with the Mel Brooks marathon, Joan Crawford, and other themes that I seem to remember from earlier this year.  But there are enough films scheduled that I haven't seen yet, that I'll be busy yet again watching movies in December.

Edited by speedracer5

I'm too lazy to check out what all the Cary Grant films are right now, but I hope there will be a healthy dose of his early career Paramounts, as they're the one phase of his career with which I'm almost completely unfamiliar. Besides SHE DONE HIM WRONG and BLONDE VENUS, I don't think I've seen any of them. If you gotta make Grant the SOTM for the umpteenth time (I know there's an oft-posted quote on here from a TCM exec saying the network doesn't pay any attention to ratings, but the programmers are no fools - they know how popular Mr. Grant still is), at least give us some variety!

Glad to hear SEPARATE TABLES is airing. I've seen it once before on TCM, but it feels like it was a very long time ago. I was stunned it wasn't part of David Niven's SUTS Day, as it is the film for which he won as Oscar.

I'm always up for REMEMBER THE NIGHT and SUSAN SLEPT HERE, though I've seen them multiple times. The former is scripted but not directed by the great Preston Sturges. The latter is pretty ridiculous, but I fall in love with Debbie Reynolds every time I watch it. Is IT HAPPENED ON FIFTH AVENUE airing this year? That has become my favorite TCM Christmas film. I don't know if I can watch anything with a Scrooge in it. I feel like I've watched every Scrooge film that's ever been made every December the last 10 years in a row. Bah humbug!

And forget Ryan Seacrest's Rockin' New Year's Eve! Looks like TCM is the place to be for some REAL rock.

I was excited to see: Dreams on the schedule. I must admit a bit of disappointment when I saw that it is the 1955 movie of that name and not the 1993 movie of that name but it is hard to be truly disappointed to see an Ingmar Bergman movie starring Harriet Andersson on the schedule.

I will add my chime to the chorus for the Sacha Guitry movies! The Story of a Cheat (1936) and The Pearls of the Crown (1937) are rare treats!

Dec 12- Torch Song (I just love Torch Songs; I will hope that this film features lots of them)

Torch Song is awful. However, it's delightfully awful, the sort of movie you'll probably be laughing at for how unbelievably screwed-up it is. I don't know if it counts as a torch song, but there's a musical number that has Joan Crawford in blackface and ends with her doffing her wig to reveal her ultra-bright red-orange hair.

I wrote a post about it here, but be warned that there are spoilers.

• Like 1

Torch Song is awful. However, it's delightfully awful, the sort of movie you'll probably be laughing at for how unbelievably screwed-up it is. I don't know if it counts as a torch song, but there's a musical number that has Joan Crawford in blackface and ends with her doffing her wig to reveal her ultra-bright red-orange hair.

I wrote a post about it here, but be warned that there are spoilers.

Ah man.  That sounds horrible; but amazing at the same time.  I'll definitely have to check it out now!