lydecker

TCM Programming Challenge #27 -- What A Character! (Challenges)

87 posts in this topic

LP’s NOTES:

This was a very fun challenge for me, but as you know, quite hard to narrow down. But these are the kind of problems you want to have.

NATIONAL BROTHERHOOD WEEK

These are movies about brothers (starting with Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, my namesake) or made by brothers (i.e. The Marx Brothers), or both (Brother Rat made by legendary Warner Brothers animation). I can’t tell you how excited I was when I was looking up the filmography of the screenwriting Epstein brothers and saw the perfect movie: The Brothers Karamazov. The Programming Saints smiled down on me that day.

WAIT A MINUTE, MR. POSTMAN!

I like to accept the challenge to make all of Sunday night fit one theme, so in this case it was all an excuse to match one of my favorite foreign films of all time, Il Postino. Therefore here are movies about Postmen. Plus there’s some good Keaton films in here.

ACTORS AS DIRECTORS ONLY/DIRECTORS AS ACTORS ONLY

It’s one thing for a director to act in their own movie or for an actor to direct themselves (that’s a completely different muscle—take it from a director), but these films are a different matter: the two switching roles completely without doing their original job. It’s worth noting that the great Peter Ustinov also wrote Vice Versa, a hilarious British Freaky Friday. It’s fun who made the switch practically permanently, like John Huston who did lots more acting than directing later in life, and Ida Lupino, who became a full-fledged director despite being a successful actress.

CASABLANCA AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES

There are so many parodies of and tributes to Casablanca I thought it would be fun to schedule them all at once. The hilarious What’s Up, Doc?, for example, is a tribute to all things Classic, and includes a whole segment with Streisand singing “As Time Goes By”. The Cheap Detective is a combination of noirs with Peter Falk as Bogie and hilariously doesn’t bother to condense the women in them. In the end he has accumulated many comedic girlfriends including Madeleine Kahn, Marsha Mason, and Eileen Brennan. There are many more besides these, so maybe this should be a Friday Night Spotlight…

HAPPY 100th BIRTHDAY TO SCREENWRITER ERNEST LEHMAN

When I found out about the dates for the challenge, it gave me an opportunity to celebrate the 100th birthday of one of my favorite screenwriters of all time: Ernest Lehman. His original script for North By Northwest is enough to put him on the map, but I am most blown away by his adaptations of Broadway musicals. If you’re at all familiar with their ordinal scripts, you’ll know his version of every single one is better in terms of structure and dialogue. The screenplay of West Side Story for instance is far superior to the play libretto: twas Ernest who put “Cool” in act 2 and “Krupke” in act 1 (in the play they sing “Krupke” after the rumble—makes no sense!) This man is a dang genius. By the by, another of his superior screenplays, The King and I, is shown later in the week for a very good reason.

LINCOLN’S LASTING INFLUENCE

Good old Abe was a one president whose profound impact is still felt today (hence the success of Spielberg’s Lincoln). These movies, then, are movies about Lincoln’s influence, both directly (biopics) and indirectly. A case of the indirect is The Fortune Cookie in which the message inside the titular cookie is a quote from Lincoln that turns the story of the whole film: “You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you can’t fool all of the people all of the time.” This is another subject that could have gone on and on all month with more biopics, Civil War movies featuring Honest Abe (and, in some cases, Shirley Temple), and even animated shorts.

CRAZY COMEDY CHARACTERS OF THE 1960s (CHALLENGE #2)

These are all zany comedy movies I love with hilariously memorable characters and an array of my favorite character actors. In The Russians Are Coming we have Alan Arkin, Paul Ford, Brian Keith, Carl Reiner, and Theodore Bikel as Russians and paranoid New Englanders; What’s So Bad About Feeling Good features Mary Tyler Moore and George Pappard as beatniks with Dom Deluise as a government agent trying to stop them being happy; Blackbeard’s Ghost has a brilliant Peter Ustinov in the title role with Elsa Lanchester as his biggest fan; Debbie Reynolds convincingly portrays a womanizer who’s come back to life as a woman in Goodbye Charlie; and Shirley MacLaine goes through 5 memorable husbands in What a Way to Go. Then of course there’s Mary Poppins, Disney’s magnum opus, with some of cinema’s most memorable characters. One movie I haven’t ever seen is Viva Max, but I’ve always wanted to—anything with Peter Ustinov and Jonathan Winters sounds hilarious!

CHARACTER ACTOR SOTM: HENRY TRAVERS (CHALLENGE #1)

As previously mentioned, this was a tough choice, but Clarence finally won out. Just look at all the great movies he was in—and movies I love to pieces. I know TCM would probably never get the rights to Wonderful Life but I’m taking advantage of this fantasy world and scheduling it anyway. One they could conceivably show is the Abbot/Costello romp The Naughty Nineties, which features the famous “Who’s On First” routine. I’d love to see this one!

AMNESIA: REAL & IMPLIED

As Ben Mankiewicz pointed out recently during SUTS, amnesia is incredibly rare in real life but incredibly common in movies. These aren’t just movies about people who have amnesia (Random Harvest), but include characters who are pretending to have it (Meet Me After The Show) as well as those who, more interestingly, are being tricked into thinking they have it (36 Hours). This is another one that could have gone on forever, so these are just the ones I like best. (Had to include a Muppet movie somewhere!)

ANIMATED GUEST PROGRAMMER: CHARLIE BROWN (Challenge #3)

I have always adored the Peanuts comics, specials, movies, stage shows, and books like crazy. The first show I ever directed, in fact, was You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown, so Charlie Brown was a natural choice for me as our Animated Guest Programmer. I’m sure you’re all wondering why Good Old Charlie Brown chose these films. First, I thought, wishy-washy Charlie Brown wouldn’t get to choose anything for himself—his pals would take the whole thing over. Most of the gang wanted a baseball movie, being little leaguers, so they chose Damn Yankees (which Chuck is hilariously uncomfortable saying the title of during his interview). Snoopy wanted a WWI Flying Ace movie, so Robert Osbourne chose Dawn Patrol for him (he didn’t really care which one). Schroeder wanted some Beethoven music and Lucy, of course, wanted anything she was the star of, so A Boy Named Charlie Brown (their first feature film) covered both of those easily (with a whole segment devoted to Schroeder playing the second movement of Beethoven’s Sonata Pathetique). Finally Linus needed some validation, so he chose The Producers as proof that successful adults really do use security blankets all the time!

DÉJÀ VU -MY TONY AND OSCAR WINNING ROLE

These movies show the only 8 people who ever won both the Tony and Oscar for the same role. It’s a feat to win one or the other—in fact, it’s a feat just to reprise your role in the movie version (for example, Rex Harrison almost didn’t get to play Higgins on screen)—so it’s worth looking at these amazing performances: Broadway-tested, Hollywood-approved!

FRIDAY NIGHT SPOTLIGHT: GREAT CINEMATIC DETECTIVES

I adore mysteries and have recently been enjoying PBS’s Miss Marple and Poirot adaptations. There are so many great detectives of the big and small screen I decided to feature them for our Friday Night Spotlight. Tonight we see literary detectives such as Philo Vance, Sam Spade, and, of course, the great Sherlock Holmes. In real life I’d separate the British and American detectives, maybe have comedic ones as well, etc. Mysteries every week sure sounds great.

HAPPY 100th BIRTHDAY, OLD BLUE EYES!

This week also happened to be Sinatra’s 100th birthday, so here are a few of his films, from the prohibition musical Robin and the Seven Hoods (which gave us “Style” and “My Kind of Town”) to my favorite of his performances in The Manchurian Candidate. Gotta love that man (shoo-be-do-be-do)!

OLYMPIANS

The final theme of the week involves Olympians. Some are real and inspirational, like Jim Thorpe and the British Track Team in this week’s Essential, Chariots of Fire. Some are fictional and hilarious, such as Olympic Swimmer Sandy Duncan who comes at odds with two hippies in Star Spangled Girl, a hilarious but little-known Neil Simon movie whose obscurity qualifies it IMHO for TCM Underground.

That’s all folks!

--LP  

• Like 1

As always, an incredible schedule, LP.  Love Charlie Brown, Henry Travers, postmen, Great Detectives (I love all of those films!) your 100th BD Salute to Sinatra, comedy characters of the 1960's and so much more.  Great effort!

Lydecker

As you know, Lonesome Polecat was kind enough to post his "almost made the cut" SOTM character actors.  If anyone else wants to do so, that would make some fascinating reading.  I thought it was great that Lonesome Polecat thought enough of Charles Lane to include him in the list.  That guy was in countless films.  His conversation with Mr. Potter in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE is a riot:  "I'm just your rent collector but . . . "

Lydecker

Great schedule LonesomePolecat! I loved the choices for your SOTM and the Charlie Brown GP; I also am a sucker for the detective films, so those were awesome.  I also enjoyed the amnesia and Ernest Lehman themes.  Honestly, while I recognize Henry Travers I would never in a million years be able to pick him out in anything.  He'd just be "the guy who played..."

In regard to Lydecker's question about who our backup SOTM character actors were... My first and only choice was Agnes Moorehead.  I've long thought she was underrated and deserved at least one of those Oscars she was nominated for.  I thought of her immediately when I read the rules of the challenge and went with it. 

I loved that Charles Lane was one of LonesomePolecat's finalists.  He is hilarious.  He plays many parts on I Love Lucy.  He's an expectant father with 6 girls (soon to be 9) in the hospital; he works in the Passport office; He's briefly Lucy and Ricky's business manager and gives Lucy $5 for the week to spend on groceries and miscellaneous purchases; and appears as a casting director in an episode where she lies about knowing Italian.  Lucy later gave him the role of Mr. Barnstahl for the first season of The Lucy Show before Mr. Mooney showed up.  He was a very prolific character actor and seemed to show up in everything and he always looked the same and always seemed to play the same cantankerous character.  Lol.  He lived to be 102 and died a few years ago I think.

Interesting schedule LonesomePolecat.  I thought the listing of Tony/Oscar winners for the same role was particularly clever.  I had forgotten how many movies there are about amnesia.  And I would be nice to see Jour de Fete again.

I've been busy reading for the past few days, but at last...

Sunday February 14, 2016: 

The Greatest Love Stories Ever

06:00 AM Peter Ibbetson (1935) Paramount BW-88 min, Gary Cooper, Ann Harding, D: Henry Hathaway Premiere#1
07:30 AM The Thin Man (1934) MGM BW-93 min William Powell, Myrna Loy D: W.S. Van Dyke P/S
09:15 AM  Jules et Jim (1961) SEDIF BW-104 min Jeanne Moreau, Oskar Werner, Henri Serre D; Francois Truffaut P/S
11:00 PM  Two for the Road (1967), Fox C-111m, Albert Finney, Audrey Hepburn, D: Stanley Donen P/S
01:00 PM  Journey to Italy (1953) Titanus BW-85 min George Sanders, Ingrid Bergman D: Roberto Rossellini P/S
02:30 PM  Tess (1979) Columbia C-186 min Natassja Kinski, Peter Firth D: Roman Polanski P/S
05:45 PM  Vertigo (1958) Paramount C-128 min James Stewart, Kim Novak, Barbara Bel Geddes D: Alfred Hitchcock P/S
08:00 PM A Woman Under the Influence (1974) Cine-Source C-155 min Gena Rowlands, Peter Falk D: John Cassavettes P/S
10:45 PM Manhattan (1979) United Artists BW-96 min Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Mariel Hemingway D:  Woody Allen P/S
12:30 AM (Silent) Lonesome (1928) Universal BW-75 min Barbara Kent, Glenn Tryon, D: Paul Fejos
01:45 AM (TCM Imports) Lovers of the Arctic Circle (1998) Canal+ C-112 min Fele Martinez, Najwa Nimri D: Julio Medem EXEMPT
03:45 AM (TCM Imports) A Very Long Engagement (2004) Warner Independent Pictures C-133 min Audrey Tautou, Gaspard Ulliel, Marion Cotillard, Jodie Foster D: Jean-Pierre Jeunet EXEMPT

Monday February 15, 2016

How to honor "Birth of a Nation" without actually showing it

06:00 AM Drums Along the Mohawk (1939) 20th Century Fox C-103 min Henry Fonda, Claudette Colbert, Edna May Oliver D: John Ford P/S
07:45 AM Camelot (1967) Warner Bros C-179 min Richard Harris, Vanessa Redgrave, Franco Nero D: Joshua Logan P/S
10:45 AM Hearts and Minds (1974) Rialto Pictures C-112 min D: Peter Davis P/S
12:45 PM Gandhi (1982) Columbia C-188 min Ben Kingsley, Candice Bergen D: Richard Attenborough P/S
04:00 PM The Battle of Algiers (1966) Igor films BW-121 min Jean Martin D: Gillo Pontecorvo P/S
06:15 PM Young Mr. Lincoln (1939) Fox BW-100 min, Henry Fonda, Alice Brady, D: John Ford
08:00 PM The Wind that Shakes the Barley (2006) Pathe Distribution C-127 min Cillian Murphy, Liam Cunningham D: Ken Loach PREMIERE#2
10:15 PM Exodus (1960) United Artists C-208 min Paul Newman, Eva Marie Saint, Sal Mineo D: Otto Preminger P/S
02:00 AM Lion in the Desert (1981) Anchor Bay Entertainment C-206 min Anthony Quinn, Oliver Reed, Rod Steiger, D: Moustapha Akkad P/S

Tuesday February 16, 2016

Oscar Anti-Tribute 1:  The greatest performances Oscar never cared about

05:30 AM The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) Societie Generales des Film BW-77 min Maria Falconetti, Eugene Silvain,  D: Carl Theodor Dreyer P/S
07:00 AM M (1931) Vereinigte Star-Film GmbH BW-111 min Peter Lorre, Otto Wernicke D: Fritz Lang P/S
09:00 AM Modern Times (1936) United Artists BW-87 min Charles Chaplin, Paulette Goddard D: Charles Chaplin P/S
10:30 AM Casablanca (1942) Warner Bros BW-102 min Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid, Claude Rains D: Michael Curtiz P/S
12:15 PM Late Spring (1949) Shochiku BW-108 min Setsuko Hara, Chishu Ryu  D: Yasujiro Ozu P/S
02:15 PM All About Eve (1950) 20th Century Fox BW-138 min Bette Davis, George Sanders, Anne Baxter. D: Joseph L. Mankiewicz P/S 
04:45 PM Children of Paradise (1945) Societe Nouvelle Pathe Cinema BW-190 min Arletty, Jean-Louis Barrault, Pierre Brasseur D: Marcel Carne P/S

Greatest performances Oscar never cared about with fantastic characters seventies division

08:00 PM (Hercule Poirot) Murder on the Orient Express Paramount C-128 min Albert Finney, Richard Widwark, Lauren Bacall D: Roman Polanski P/S
10:15 PM (Ana) The Spirit of the Beehive (1973) Elias Querejita Producciones C-98 min Ana Torent, Isabela Telleria D; Victor Erice P/S
12:00 AM (Julie and Celine) Celine and Julie go Boating (1974) Action Films C-193 min Dominique Labourier, Juliet Berto, Barbet Schroeder D: Jacques Rivette EXEMPT
03:30 AM (Claude Langham) Providence (1977) Action Films C-110 min Dirk Bogarde, John Gielguld, Ellen Burstyn, David Warner D: Alain Resnais EXEMPT

Wednesday February 16, 2016

Oscar Anti-Tribute 2: Spotlight on Oscar winning directors and their less respected work

05:30 AM My son John (1952) Rainbow Production C-122 min Helen Hayes, Robert Walker D: Leo McCarey P/S
07:45 AM Bombshell (1933) MGM BW-96 min Lee Tracy, Jean Harlow, Frank Morgan D: Victor Fleming P/S
09:30 AM Yolanda and the Thief (1945) MGM C-108 min Fred Astaire, Lucille Bremer, Frank Morgan D: Vincente Minnelli P/S
11:30 AM The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970) United Artists C-125 min Robert Stephens, Genevieve Page, Colin Blakely P/S
01:45 AM Cleopatra (1963) 20th Century Fox C-248 min Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Rex Harrison, Roddy McDowall D: Joseph Mankiewicz P/S
06:00 PM One from the Heart (1982) Columbia C-107 min Frederic Forrest, Teri Garr, Raul Julia, Nastassja Kinski D: Francis Ford Coppola PREMIERE#3

Guest Programmer Chernabog the High Demon from Fantasia

08:00 PM Cavalcade (1933) Fox Film Production BW-110 min Diana Wynard, Clive Brook, Una O'Connor D: Frank Lloyd P/S
10:00 PM Cimarron (1931) RKO Radio Productions BW-124 min Richard Dix, Irene Dunne D: Wesley Ruggles
12:15 AM A Man and a Woman (1966) Allied Artists C-102 min Anouk Aimee, Jean-Louis Tritrignant D: Claude Lelouch P/S
02:15 AM Meshes of the Afternoon (1943) Mystic Fire Video BW-15 min Maya Deren, Alexander Hammid D; Maya Deren P/S
02:45 AM Kitty Foyle (1940) RKO Radio Pictures BW-108 min Ginger Rogers, Dennis Morgan, James Craig D: Sam Wood P/S
04:45 AM The Seventh Victim (1943) RKO Radio Pictures BW-71 min Tom Conway, Jean Brooks D: Mark Robson P/S

Thursday February 18, 2016

Oscar Anti-Tribute 3: Great foreign film directors specifically ignored by the Academy

06:00 AM Cairo Station (1958) Gabriel Talhamy BW-95 min Youssef Chahrine, Hind Rostum, Farid Shawqi D: Yussef Chahine P/S
07:45 AM Ivan's Childhood (1962), Mosfilm, BW-95 min, Nikolai Burlyaev, Valentin Zubkov, Evgeny Zharikov D: Andrei Tarkovsky
09:30 AM Late Autumn (1960) Shochiku C-128 min Setsuko Hara, Yoko Tsukasa D: Yasujiro Ozu P/S
11:45 AM Last Year in Marienbad (1961) Cocinor BW-94 min Delphin Seyrig, Giorgio Albertazzi, Sacha Pitoeff D:Alain Resnais P/S
01:30 PM Gertrud (1964) Palladium BW-116 min Nina Pens Rode, Bendt Rothe, Ebbe Rode D: Carl Theodor Dreyer P/s
03:30 PM Fitzcarraldo (1982) Werner Herzog Filmproduktion C-157 min Klaus Kinski, Claudia Cardinale, Jose Lewgoy D: Werner Herzog PREMIERE#4
06:15 PM Burden of Dreams (1982) Flower Films C-95 min D: Les Blank P/S

Star of the Month Adolphe Menjou

08:00 PM You were Never Lovelier (1942) Columbia BW-97 min Fred Astaire, Rita Hayworth, Adolphe Menjou D: William A. Seiter P/S
09:45 PM A Farewell to Arms (1932) Paramount BW-89 min Helen Hayes, Gary Cooper, Adolphe Menjou D: Frank Borzage P/S
11:30 PM Pollyanna (1960) Walt Disney Productions, C-134 min Hayley Mills, Jane Wyman, Adolphe Menjou D: David Swift P/S
02:00 AM A Woman of Paris (1923) United Artists BW-93 min Edna Purviance, Carl Miller, Adolphe Menjou D: Charles Chaplin P/S
03:45 AM Stage Door (1937) RKO BW-91 min Katharine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, Adolphe Menjou D: Gregory La Cava P/S

Friday February 19, 2015:

Oscar Anti-Tribute 4:  Art-Direction

05:30 AM Alien (1979) 20th Century Fox c-117 min Sigourney Weaver, Yaphet Kotto, Ian Holm D: Ridley Scott P/S
07:30 AM Top Hat (1935) RKO BW-101 min Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Edward Everett Horton D: Mark Sandrich P/S
09:15 AM The Dark Angel (1935) United Artists BW-110 min Fredric March, Merle Oberon, Herbert Marshall D: Sidney A. Franklin P/S
11:15 AM Blade Runner (1982) Warner Bros C-117 min Harrison Ford, Sean Young, Rutger Hauer, D: Ridley Scott PREMIERE#5
01:15 PM This Above All (1942) 20th Century Fox BW-110 min Joan Fontaine, Tyrone Power, Thomas Mitchell D: Anatole Litvak P/S
03:15 PM The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) RKO BW-88 min Joseph Cotton, Agnes Moorhead, Tim Holt D: Orson Welles P/S
04:45 PM Barry Lyndon (1975) Warner C-184 min Ryan O'Neal, Marisa Berenson D: Stanley Kubrick Premiere #6

Friday Night Spotlight:  the Palme D'Or

08:00 PM Miracle in Milan (1951) Joseph Burstyn Inc. BW-100 min Francesco Golisano, Emma Grammatica D:  Vittorio De Sica PREMIERE#7
09:45 PM The Knack...and how to Get it (1965) United Artists BW-85 min Rita Tushingham, Ray Brooks, Michael Crawford D: Richard Lester P/S
11:15 PM The Chronicle of the Years of Fire (1975) Arab Film Distribution C-177 min Yorgo Voyagis, Mohammed Lakhdar-Hamina D: Mohammed Lakhdar-Hamina PREMIERE#8
02:30 AM Missing (1982) Universal Pictures C-122 min Jack Lemmon, Sissy Spacek D: Constantin Costa-Gavras P/S
04:45 AM M*A*S*H (1970) 20th Century Fox  C-116 min Donald Sutherland,  Elliott Gould, Sally Kellerman D: Robert Altman P/S

Saturday February 20, 2016

Oscar Anti-Tribute 5:  Games we play with Screenplays

(A) Not good enough for the thirties Academy

06:45 AM The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) Paramount BW-89 min Maurice Chevalier, Claudette Colbert, Miriam Hopkins D:Ernst Lubitsch Paramount P/S
08:15 AM It's a Gift (1934) Paramount  BW-73 min W.C. Fields, Kathleen Howard, Jean Rouverol D: Norman Z. McLeod P/S
09:30 AM Horsefeathers (1932) Parmaount BW-68 min Groucho Marx, Chico Marx, Harpo Marx, Zeppo Marx, Thelma Todd D: Norman Z. McLeod P/S
10:45 AM The Crime of Monsieu Lange (1936) Films Oberon BW-80 min Rene Lefevre, Florelle, Jules Berry D: Jean Renoir P/S

(B!) Silence is golden, but not oscar Gold

12:15 PM Monsieur Verdoux (1947) United Artists BW-124 min Charles Chaplin, Martha Raye, Marilyn Nash D: Charles Chaplin P/S
02:30 PM Mr. Hulot's Holiday (1953) Discina Films BW-114 min Jacques Tati, Nathalie Pascaud D: Jacques Tati P/S

(C) A New Yorker state of mind

04:30 PM Claire's Knee (1970) Les Films du Losange C-105 min Jean-Claude Brialy, Aurora Cornu. Beatrice Raymond D: Eric Rohmer P/S
06:15 PM Sans Soleil (1983) Argos Films C-100 min Alexandra Stewart, D: Chris Marker P/S
08:00 PM (Essentials) Two or Three Things I Know About Her... Argos Films C-87 min Marina Vlady, Juliet Berto D: Jean-Luc Godard PREMIERE#10

(D) Oscar's most literate murder mysteries

09:45 PM Chinatown (1974) Paramount C-131 min Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway, John Huston D: Roman Polanski P/S
12:00 AM The Conversation (1974) Paramount C-113 min Gene Hackman, John Cazale. Dir: Francis Ford Coppola P/S
02:00 AM (Underground) The Usual Suspects (1995) Polygram C-106 min Gabriel Byrne, Kevin Spacey, Kevin Pollak D; Bryan Singer EXEMPT

(E) And now for a screenplay winner that is something almost completely different.

04:00 AM (Underground) The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) Focus Features C-109 min Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Tom Wilkinson D: Michel Gondry EXEMPT

• Like 1

SKIMPOLE'S PROGRAMMING NOTES

Schedule for February 14, 2016-February 20, 2016

Star of the Month:  Adolphe Menjou

Friday Night Spotlight:  Honoring the Palme D'Or

TCM Silent Sunday:  Lonesome (1928)

TCM Imports Double Feature:  Lovers of the Arctic Circle (1998), A Very Long Engagement (2004)

The Essentials:  Two or Three Things I Know About Her...(1967)

Underground Double Feature:  The Usual Suspects (1995) The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

Guest Programmer:  Chernabog, the High Demon from Fantasia

Character Feature:  Prime-time Tuesday from the Seventies

1920s     3
1930s    17
1940s    11
1950s      6
1960s    13
1970s    17
1980s      7
1990s      2
2000s      3

Premieres:

Peter Ibbetson (1934)
When the wind Shakes the Barley (2006)
One from the Heart (1982)
Fitzcarraldo(1982)
Blade Runner (1982)
Barry Lyndon (1975)
Miracle in Milan (1951)
The Chronicle of the Years of Fire (1975)
The Crime of Monsieur Lange (1936)
Two or Three Things I Know About Her...(1967)

Exempt Premieres:

Lonesome (1928) (Silent)
Lovers of the Arctic Circle (1998) (TCM Imports)
A Very Long Engagement(2004)  (TCM Imports)
Celine and Julie go Boating (1974) (Character Challenge)
Providence (1977) (Character Challenge)
The Usual Suspects (1995) (Underground)
The Eternal Sunshine of the the Spotless Mind (2004) (Underground)

We start Sunday off with  the reason why I decided to do a February 14 schedule in the first place, so that I could schedule a whole day of my favorite love stories.   It includes loving marriages, turbulent marriages, failed love affairs, obsessive desire, and tragically thwarted love.  Monday happens to be President's Day.  And nothing says Washington and Lincoln then the birth of the American nation.  So how we can discuss "the Birth of a Nation," without actually showing The Birth of Nation?  We start off with Henry Fonda in a John Ford movie that is one of the few decent films about the actual birth of the United States.  Later on, Fonda and Ford return with the better of the two classic Hollywood films about Lincoln.  For the rest of the day, we have films that touch on the Birth of a Nation theme, starting off with Britain's myth of King Arthur, and then moving on to Vietnam, India, Algeria, Ireland, Israel, and, in a nice contrast, Libya. 

Ordinarily Februarys on TCM are spent honoring the Oscars.  And while this does let us see movies that might otherwise be ignored, it also means that we're stuck with the Academy's questionable taste.   So this week we have an Oscar anti-tribute.  First we spend Tuesdays looking at some of the greatest performances that the Academy ignored:  five actors and seven actresses.  (The first cast member mentioned is the great performer being ignored).  Our special character spotlight focuses on four movies from the Seventies and the five unforgettable characters involved.  ("I hate violence.  It reeks of spontaneity.") Then on Wednesday, our Oscar anti-tribute looks at works by six Academy honored directors--McCarey, Fleming, Minnelli, Wilder, Mankewicz and Coppola that were considerably less successful, respected or remembered, but which arguably is more interesting than some of the work they were honored.   

Our cartoon character guest host is Chernabog the high demon from Fantasia.   Rather happily, we have exclusive access to his guest appearance beemed live from Bald Mountain.  First off, Chernabog dismisses the idea that his film choices would emphasize lust ("Leaving aside the fact that human beings have far too high an opinion of their own attractiveness, physical beauty only lasts for a decade or two.  And I've lived billions of years") or brutal violence ("the problem with cruelty is that it's basically wasted on human beings.  You're such limited creatures.  Often it's like taunting ants by banning Shakespeare.  It just doesn't work, and God knows I've tried.")  He also denies any attempt to use TCM to engage in dark satanic brainwashing.  ("First off, that's what Fox News is for.  Also, AMC.  Second, where I would watch decent films if I used TCM to destroy civilization?  Those Max Ophuls movies aren't going to show themselves.")  So what is theme of the movies he's chosen?  It's gross Oscar injustice.  He starts off with two of the least respected best picture winners.  He also includes Kitty Foyle ("Not only did Rogers beat Hepburn and Davis, but Rosalind Russell and Margaret Sullavan didn't even get nominated!)  He is especially gleeful over the success of A Man and A Woman ("Seriously, I cannot go on enough at how completely undeserved the success of this movie was.  Renoir, Clouzot, Godard, Bresson, Melville, Resnais, Rivette Denis, Demy, Varda, Pialat, Becker, Marker, Malle all go completely unnoticed by the Academy, and this piece of meretricious treacle wins everything.  It beat Masculin/Feminin, Au Hazard Balthazar and Second Breath as the official French nominee for 1966.  It beat out The Battle of Algiers and Loves of a Blonde on the oscar ballot, while Persona, The Round-Up and Come Drink with Me didn't even make the ballot.  It even beat Chimes at Midnight, Doctor Zhivago and The Hawks and the Sparrows at Cannes.  As a fallen angel I may yet face a future of infinite and eternal torment, but the fact that at one of the great periods of international cinema, millions of Americans thought this twaddle was the height of foreign films will always warm my heart.")  In between these movies is Meshes of the Afternoon, which it turns out films a visit he had to the Derens ("I don't see why people find it sinister.  I personally had a delightful time.")  And while The Seventh Victim is too late for Chernabog to actually guest host, we do have some of his thoughts on the movie.  ("Do you know what I like about these people?  They're so polite.")

On Thursday our Oscar anti-tribute starts off the day looking at foreign language films.  (Interestingly, the 18th is Toni Morrison's birthday, and if you wanted to fill the 14 hours with movies based on works by American Nobel laureates, it turns out Dodsworth, The Grapes of Wrath, To Have and Have Not, Long Days Journey into Night, Yentl and Beloved will fit exactly into it.)  As you probably know the Foreign Film Oscar involves three steps.  (1) Each country officially nominates a movie for the honor.  (2) The Academy chooses five nominees, and (3) the voters choose an actual winner.  This offers three hurdles for winners to meet.  What the six movies shown on Thursday morning and afternoon have in common is that they all met the first step, being the official nominee of their country.  They were not chosen to be a nominee, and indeed this is the closest that Chahine, Ozu, Tarkovsky, Resnais, Dreyer and Herzog ever got to winning a competitive oscar.  (That's not actually completely true.  Resnais won an oscar for a short film at the beginning of his career, Herzog was nominated for a documentary in 2008, and Chahine, Tarkovsky and Herzog were all nominated by their countries for another film.  The Academy didn't nominate those films either.)  Thursday evening, we have five films by star of the month Adolphe Menjou.  He was not only born in February, but on the 18th as well. 

Our Oscar anti-tribute continues on Friday by looking at Art Direction.  We have two deserving movies that didn't win (Alien and Blade Runner), two movies that did win (The Dark Angel and This Above All) as well as the two more well-regarded movies that they ended up beating (Top Hat and The Magnificent Ambersons) along with one indisputably deserved winner, Barry Lyndon, continuing with my promise to keep including the movie on my schedule until TCM actually shows it.  Our Oscar anti-tribute continues with our Friday spotlight on the Palme D'Or.  The last film M*A*S*H is a convenient transition since the 20th is the birthday of director Robert Altman, and the movie won an oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay.  Our final Oscar anti-tribute looks at screenplays.  We start with four movies from the thirties.  The Smiling Lieutenant stands for the many Lubitsch movies--all of them, in fact--that never won a Screenplay oscar.  The Marx Brothers and W.C. Fields also didn't get the oscar nod, and neither did Jean Renoir.  The next category of screenplays comes from two masters of silent comedy, with Monsieur Verdoux and M. Hulot's Holiday actually getting a nomination.  (Though both lost, to The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer and Interrupted Melody respectively).  "A New Yorker state of Mind" looks at three films by Rohmer, Marker and Godard, whose style is either close to the magazine (whose anniversary is actually the 21st) or New Yorker film production.  We then close out the evening with four movies, including three oscar screenplay winners.  In our trio of literate murder mysteries, Chinatown and The Usual Suspects won oscars and the only reason The Conversation didn't is that it was competing against Chinatown.  Finally we have The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which in a way turns back to the 14th, when originally it was supposed to be the last film of the romantic films of February 14, 2015.

Love it, Skimpole! Love the idea of an anti-Oscar theme, since I disagree with many of their choices. Adolphe Menjou rocks and so does your excellent choice for guest programmer. Of course Chernabog would love the two worst Best Picture Winners ever!

WDCCS102.jpg

Amazing schedule Skimpole. I am all over the Anti Oscars for February and love the SOTM, Adolphe Menjou.  Chernabog as your GP is an inspiration  -- I particularly love his comments in your programming notes.

Lydecker

Amazing schedule Skimpole. I am all over the Anti Oscars for February and love the SOTM, Adolphe Menjou.  Chernabog as your GP is an inspiration  -- I particularly love his comments in your programming notes.

Lydecker

Yes,  Adolphe Menjou would make a great SOTM.    This is the type of unique choice I welcome.    He had a very long career.  Early in this career he was the leading male star in many films typically with a first rate female star,  be he was also the secondary male star in many first rate films.    As he got older he was often featured more in a supporting role while the leads where the up and coming stars of the era.   Often he was a grounding force in these movies since the 'kids' were still learning the trade.

So many fine movies and so much variety that each of the STOM days would be different.

Great schedule Skimpole! I liked the anti-Oscars and the love stories.  I also loved the showing Birth of a Nation without actually showing that film.  Re: Birth of a Nation, there's 100 years of my life I won't get back! I also loved the Chernabog (who doesn't love Fantasia?) and Adolphe Menjou. 

Skimpole, your inclusion of my favorite French movie, Celine and Julie Go Boating, makes me smile. There is no movie that I know of that leaves one with such a sense of exhilaration!  :)

• Like 1

Great schedules, everyone! Polecat, I love the Tony/Oscar combos and hope TCM will steal this. Skimpole always includes films I'd like to see, and I'm pleased to see the anti-Oscar theme devoted to art direction.

Thanks for the kind words! Looking forward to everyone else's schedules!

Speaking of TCM stealing from us, I am proud to say at the beginning of November they're stealing one of my themes: "Titles from Hamlet", which are these films:

To Be Or Not To Be

Murder Most Foul

North by Northwest

Get it? The titles are all Hamlet quotes! The only one I included that they didn't is Leave Her to Heaven, so they probably couldn't get the rights to it or something. But anyway, proud moment for myself, and proof they do listen to us! :)

• Like 1

With every new schedule that goes up, I find more and more to like!  Not going to call out any one schedule, but I just wanted to say what fun it is to follow this!  Someday I take a crack at it, but for now, I'll just enjoy the ride!

We've got some great schedules and I'm hoping we get a few more before the end of Challenge #27. Calling all fans of character actors (and "characters" and animated characters!)  8 days left to get your schedule in.

Lydecker

Just bumping up this thread.  Challenge #27  --  What a Character! ends Tuesday, October 28

at 11:59 PM.  Hope to see a few more schedules coming our way before then.

Lydecker

SansFin's schedule for the week of September 6, 2015 to September 12, 2015.

Star of the Month

Trevor Howard.

Friday Night Spotlight

Comedy Styles.

Challenge Requirement: Memorable Characters of a Decade

Tuesday Evening: 1930s' characters which we will not forget.

Challenge Requirement: Character Actor

Wednesday Evening: Judith Anderson in 1940s.

Week's Theme: Decade by Decade

Daily Themes: A topic as seen in each decade from 1920s to 1990s.

Evening Themes on Tuesday through Saturday: A topic or genre as seen in one decade.

Sunday Evening Theme: Film-makers as seen in each decade from 1940s to 1990s.

Monday Evening Theme: Trevor Howard as seen in each decade from 1940s to 1980s.

Sunday, September 6

Those in Front of the Camera

6:00 AM The Actress (1928) Norma Shearer, Gwen Lee, Roy D'Arcy. Dir: Sidney Franklin, MGM, 70 mins.

7:15 AM Bombshell (1933) Jean Harlow, Lee Tracy, Frank Morgan. Dir: Victor Fleming, MGM, 96 mins.

9:00 AM Broadway Limited (1941) Victor McLaglen, Marjorie Woodworth, Dennis O'Keefe. Dir: Gordon Douglas, Hal Roach, 75 mins., P/S

10:15 AM Man Of A Thousand Faces (1957) James Cagney, Dorothy Malone, Jane Greer. Dir: Joseph Pevney, Universal, 122 mins., P/S

12:30 PM Inside Daisy Clover (1965) Natalie Wood, Christopher Plummer, Robert Redford. Dir: Robert Mulligan, WB, 128 mins., P/S

2:45 PM A Slave of Love (1976) Elena Solovey, Rodion Nahapetov, Aleksandr Kalyagin. Dir: Nikita Mikhalkov, Mosfilm, 94 mins., Premiere # 1

4:30 PM My Favorite Year (1982) Peter O'Toole, Mark Linn-Baker, Jessica Harper. Dir: Richard Benjamin, MGM, 92 mins.

6:15 PM Irma Vep (1996) Maggie Cheung, Jean-Pierre Léaud, Nathalie Richard. Dir: Olivier Assayas, Canal, 99 mins., Premiere # 2

Those Behind the Camera

8:00 PM Sullivan's Travels (1941) Joel McCrea, Veronica Lake, William Demarest. Dir: Preston Sturges, Paramount, 90 mins., P/S

9:30 PM Watch the Birdie (1950) Red Skelton, Arlene Dahl, Ann Miller. Dir: Jack Donohue, MGM, 71 mins.

10:45 PM Contempt (1963) Brigitte Bardot, Michel Piccoli, Jack Palance. Dir: Jean-Luc Godard, Les Films Concordia, 102 mins., P/S

Silent Sunday Night

12:30 AM Silent Movie (1976) Mel Brooks, Marty Feldman, Dom DeLuise . Dir: Mel Brooks, Crossbow, 87 mins., Exempt Premiere

TCM Import

2:00 AM Identification of a Woman (1982) Tomas Milian, Daniela Silverio, Christine Boisson. Dir: Michelangelo Antonioni, Gaumont, 128 mins., Exempt Premiere

4:15 AM Close-Up (1990) Hossain Sabzian, Mohsen Makhmalbaf, Abolfazl Ahankhah. Dir: Abbas Kiarostami, Kanoon, 98 mins., P/S

Monday, September 7

Romance Through the Ages

6:00 AM The Cigarette Girl from Moscow (1924) Yuliya Solntseva, Igor Ilyinsky, Anna Dmokhovskaya. Dir: Yuri Zhelyabuzhsky, Mezhrabpom-Rus, 78 mins., Premiere # 3

7:30 AM Lovin' The Ladies (1930) Richard Dix, Lois Wilson, Allen Kearns. Dir: Melville Brown, RKO, 65 mins.

8:45 AM The Lady Eve (1941) Barbara Stanwyck, Henry Fonda, Charles Coburn. Dir: Preston Sturges, Paramount, 94 mins., P/S

10:30 AM Desk Set (1957) Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, Gig Young. Dir: Walter Lang, Fox, 103 mins., P/S

12:15 PM A Breath Of Scandal (1960) Sophia Loren, Maurice Chevalier, John Gavin. Dir: Michael Curtiz, Paramount, 97 mins., P/S

2:00 PM A New Leaf (1971) Walter Matthau, Elaine May, Jack Weston. Dir: Elaine May, Aries Prods., 102 mins., P/S

3:45 PM The Pirates of Penzance (1983) Kevin Kline, Angela Lansbury, Linda Ronstadt. Dir: Wilford Leach, Universal, 112 mins., Premiere # 4

5:45 PM Eat Drink Man Woman (1994) Sihung Lung, Yu-Wen W.ang, Chien-lien Wu. Dir: Ang Lee, Ang Lee Prods., 123 mins., P/S

SOTM: Trevor Howard

This Night's Installment: Uniforms in Different Decades

8:00 PM I See A Dark Stranger (1945) Deborah Kerr, Trevor Howard, Raymond Huntley. Dir: Frank Launder, Individual Pictures, 112 mins., P/S

10:00 PM Odette (1950) Anna Neagle, Trevor Howard, Peter Ustinov. Dir: Herbert Wilcox, Wilcox Prods., 124 mins., P/S

12:15 AM Father Goose (1964) Cary Grant, Leslie Caron, Trevor Howard. Dir: Ralph Nelson, Granox, 115 mins., P/S

2:15 AM Hennessy (1975) Rod Steiger, Lee Remick, Richard Johnson. Dir: Don Sharp, AIP, 103 mins., P/S

4:00 AM The Sea Wolves (1980) Gregory Peck, Roger Moore, David Niven. Dir: Andrew V. McLaglen, Lorimar, 120 mins., Premiere # 5

Tuesday, September 8

Seventy Years of Marriage

6:00 AM The Marriage Circle (1924) Florence Vidor, Monte Blue, Marie Prevost. Dir: Ernst Lubitsch, WB, 85 mins.

7:30 AM The Moon's Our Home (1936) Margaret Sullavan, Henry Fonda, Charles Butterworth. Dir: William A. Seiter, Paramount, 80 mins., Premiere # 6

9:00 AM Mr. and Mrs. Smith (1941) Carole Lombard, Robert Montgomery, Gene Raymond. Dir: Alfred Hitchcock, RKO, 95 mins.

10:45 AM Designing Woman (1957) Gregory Peck, Lauren Bacall, Dolores Gray. Dir: Vincente Minnelli, MGM, 118 mins.

12:45 PM How To Murder Your Wife (1965) Jack Lemmon, Virna Lisi, Terry-Thomas. Dir: Richard Quine, Murder Inc, 118 mins., P/S

2:45 PM A Severed Head (1971) Lee Remick, Richard Attenborough, Claire Bloom. Dir: Dick Clement, Winkast Film Prods., 98 mins., P/S

4:30 PM Big Trouble (1986) Peter Falk, Alan Akin, Beverly D'Angelo. Dir: John Cassavetes, Columbia, 93 mins., P/S

6:15 PM Three Colors: White (1994) Zbigniew Zamachowski, Julie Delpy, Janusz Gajos. Dir: Krzysztof Kieslowski, MK2 Prods., 91 mins., P/S

Memorable Characters of the 1930s

8:00 PM Svengali (1931) John Barrymore, Marian Marsh, Donald Crisp. Dir: Archie Mayo, WB, 81 mins.

9:30 PM Dracula (1931) Bela Lugosi, Dwight Frye, Helen Chandler. Dir: Tod Browning, Universal, 75 mins., P/S

10:45 PM Frankenstein (1931) Boris Karloff, Colin Clive, Mae Clarke. Dir: James Whale, Universal, 70 mins., P/S

12:00 AM King Kong (1933) Fay Wray, Robert Armstrong, Bruce Cabot. Dir: Merian C Cooper & Ernest B Schoedsack, RKO, 100 mins.

1:45 AM Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde (1931) Fredric March, Miriam Hopkins, Rose Hobart. Dir: Rouben Mamoulian, Paramount, 98 mins., P/S

3:30 AM The Mummy (1932) Boris Karloff, Zita Johann, David Manners. Dir: Karl Freund, Universal, 73 mins., P/S

4:45 AM The Invisible Man (1933) Claude Rains, Gloria Stuart, William Harrigan. Dir: James Whale, Universal, 71 mins., P/S

Wednesday, September 9

Decades of Divorce

6:00 AM The Singing Fool (1928) Al Jolson, Betty Bronson, Josephine Dunn. Dir: Lloyd Bacon, WB, 105 mins.

7:45 AM The Divorce Of Lady X (1938) Merle Oberon, Laurence Olivier, Binnie Barnes. Dir: Tim Whelan, London Film, 91 mins., P/S

9:30 AM Never Say Goodbye (1946) Errol Flynn, Eleanor Parker, Lucile Watson. Dir: James V Kern, WB, 94 mins.

11:15 AM Let's Do It Again (1953) Jane Wyman, Ray Milland, Aldo Ray. Dir: Alexander Hall, Columbia, 94 mins., P/S

1:00 PM Marriage on the Rocks (1965) Frank Sinatra, Deborah Kerr, Dean Martin. Dir: Jack Donohue, WB, 109 mins., P/S

3:00 PM Scenes From A Marriage (1973) Liv Ullmann, Erland Josephson, Bibi Andersson. Dir: Ingmar Bergman, Cinematograph AB, 168 mins., P/S

6:00 PM Murphy's Romance (1985) Sally Field, James Garner, Brian Kerwin. Dir: Martin Ritt, Columbia, 107 mins., P/S

Character Actor Judith Anderson in the 1940s

8:00 PM Laura (1944) Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews, Clifton Webb. Dir: Otto Preminger, Fox, 88 mins., P/S

9:30 PM Rebecca (1940) Laurence Olivier, Joan Fontaine, Judith Anderson. Dir: Alfred Hitchcock, Selznick, 130 mins., P/S

11:45 PM Edge Of Darkness (1943) Errol Flynn, Ann Sheridan, Walter Huston. Dir: Lewis Milestone, WB, 119 mins.

1:45 AM Tycoon (1947) John Wayne, Laraine Day, Cedric Hardwicke. Dir: Richard Wallace, RKO, 128 mins.

4:00 AM The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers (1946) Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin, Lizabeth Scott. Dir: Lewis Milestone, Hal Wallis, 116 mins., P/S

Thursday, September 10

Fantasy

6:00 AM Phantom Carriage (1921) Victor Sjostrom, Hilda Borgstrom, Tore Svennberg. Dir: Victor Sjoestrom, Svensk Filmindustri, 93 mins., P/S

7:45 AM Alice In Wonderland (1933) Leon Errol, Louise Fazenda, Ford Sterling. Dir: Norman McLeod, Paramount, 76 mins., P/S

9:15 AM The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1943) Hans Albers, Wilhelm Bendow, Brigitte Horney. Dir: Josef von Báky, UFA, 110 mins., P/S

11:15 AM Bell, Book and Candle (1959) James Stewart, Kim Novak, Jack Lemmon. Dir: Richard Quine, Columbia, 102 mins., P/S

1:15 PM Ghosts - Italian Style (1969) Sophia Loren, Vittorio Gassman, Francesco Tensi. Dir: Renato Castellani, La Champion, 92 mins., P/S

2:45 PM The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad (1973) John Phillip Law, Tom Baker, Caroline Munro. Dir: Gordon Hessler, Columbia, 105 mins., P/S

4:30 PM Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind (1984) Alison Lohman, Edward James Olmos, Mark Hamill. Dir: Hayao Miyazaki, Tokuma Shoten, 117 mins., P/S

6:30 PM My Neighbor Totoro (1993) Dakota Fanning, Timothy Daly, Lea Salonga. Dir: Hayao Miyazaki, Tokuma Shoten, 88 mins., P/S

1950s Noir

8:00 PM Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye (1957) James Cagney, Barbara Payton, Helena Carter. Dir: Gordon Douglas, Cagney Prods., 102 mins., Premiere # 7

9:45 PM The Clouded Yellow (1950) Jean Simmons, Trevor Howard, Sonia Dresdel. Dir: Ralph Thomas, Carillon, 95 mins., Premiere # 8

11:30 PM Nightfall (1956) Aldo Ray, Brian Keith, Anne Bancroft. Dir: Jacques Tourneur, Copa, 78 mins., P/S

1:00 AM Chase a Crooked Shadow (1958) Richard Todd, Anne Baxter, Herbert Lom. Dir: Michael Anderson, Associated Dragon, 87 mins., P/S

2:30 AM The Steel Trap (1952) Joseph Cotten, Teresa Wright, Jonathan Hale. Dir: Andrew Stone, Thor Prods., 85 mins., P/S

4:00 AM The Big Knife (1955) Jack Palance, Ida Lupino, Rod Steiger. Dir: Robert Aldrich, Associates & Aldrich Company, 111 mins., P/S

Friday, September 11

Murder

6:00 AM The Cat and the Canary (1927) Laura La Plante, Creighton Hale, Forrest Stanley. Dir: Paul Leni, Universal, 80 mins., P/S

7:30 AM Midnight Mystery (1930) Betty Compson, Lowell Sherman, Raymond Hatton. Dir: George B. Seitz, RKO, 69 mins.

8:45 AM The Spiral Staircase (1945) Dorothy McGuire, George Brent, Ethel Barrymore. Dir: Robert Siodmak, RKO, 83 mins.

10:30 AM Tension (1950) Richard Basehart, Audrey Totter, Cyd Charisse. Dir: John Berry, Loew's, 95 mins., P/S

12:15 PM The Bride Wore Black (1968) Jeanne Moreau, Jean-Claude Brialy, Michel Bouquet. Dir: FrancoisTruffaut, Les Films du Carrosse, 107 mins., P/S

2:15 PM Suspiria (1977) Jessica Harper, Joan Bennett, Alida Valli. Dir: Dario Argento, Seda Spettacoli, 93 mins., P/S

4:00 PM Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) Bob Hoskins, Joanna Cassidy, Charles Fleischer. Dir: Robert Zemeckis, Amblin, 103 mins., P/S

5:45 PM Se7en (1995) Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Spacey. Dir: David Fincher, New Line, 127 mins., P/S

Friday Night Spotlight: Comedy Styles

Frantic Comedies of the 1960s

6:00 PM Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies (1969) Bourvil, Peter Cook, Tony Curtis. Dir: Ken Annakin, Champion, 120 mins., Premiere # 9

10:15 PM Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines (1965) Stuart Whitman, Sarah Miles, Terry-Thomas. Dir: Ken Annakin, Fox, 138 mins., P/S

12:45 AM The Great Race (1965) Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, Natalie Wood. Dir: Blake Edwards, WBP, 160 mins., P/S

3:30 AM Daisies (1966) Jitka Cerhová, Ivana Karbanová, Marie Cesková . Dir: Vera Chytilová, Filmové, 76 mins., P/S

4:45 AM The Firemen's Ball (1967) Jan Vostrcil, Josef Sebánek, Josef Valnoha. Dir: Milos Forman, Filmové, 71 mins., P/S

Saturday, September 12

Stealing Time

6:00 AM The Blackbird (1926) Lon Chaney, Renée Adorée, Doris Lloyd. Dir: Tod Browning, MGM, 86 mins.

7:30 AM Jewel Robbery (1932) William Powell, Kay Francis, Helen Vinson. Dir: William Dieterle, WB, 68 mins.

8:45 AM Larceny, Inc. (1942) Edward G Robinson, Jane Wyman, Broderick Crawford. Dir: Lloyd Bacon, WB, 95 mins.

10:30 AM Rififi (1954) Jean Servais, Carl Mohner, Robert Manuel. Dir: Jules Dassin, Indusfilms, 118 mins., P/S

12:45 PM The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) Steve McQueen, Faye Dunaway, Paul Burke. Dir: Norman Jewison, Mirisch, 102 mins., P/S

2:30 PM The Anderson Tapes (1971) Sean Connery, Dyan Cannon, Martin Balsam. Dir: Sidney Lumet, Columbia, 99 mins., P/S

4:15 PM A Fish Called Wanda (1988) John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis, Kevin Kline. Dir: Charles Crichton, MGM, 108 mins., P/S

6:15 PM Reservoir Dogs (1992) Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen. Dir: Quentin Tarantino, Live Ent., 99 mins., P/S

The Future is Not What it Was in the 1970s

Essentials

8:00 PM Silent Running (1972) Bruce Dern, Huey, Dewey, Louie. Dir: Douglas Trumbull, Universal, 89 mins., P/S

9:30 PM Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970) Eric Braeden, Susan Clark, Gordon Pinsent. Dir: Joseph Sargent, Universal, 100 mins., Premiere # 10

11:15 PM The Omega Man (1971) Charlton Heston, Anthony Zerbe, Rosalind Cash. Dir: Boris Sagal, Seltzer Prods., 98 mins., P/S

1:00 AM A Boy and His Dog (1974) Don Johnson, Susanne Benton, Tiger. Dir: L. Q. Jones, LQ/JAF, 91 mins., P/S

TCM Underground

2:30 AM THX 1138 (1971) Robert Duvall, Donald Pleasence, Don Pedro Colley. Dir: George Lucas, American Zoetrope, 88 mins., P/S

4:00 AM Zardoz (1974) Sean Connery, Charlotte Rampling, Sara Kestelman. Dir: John Boorman, Boorman Prods., 106 mins., P/S

Premieres:

A Slave of Love (1976)

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)

Irma Vep (1996)

The Cigarette Girl from Moscow (1924)

The Pirates of Penzance (1983)

The Sea Wolves (1980)

The Moon's Our Home (1936)

Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye (1957)

The Clouded Yellow (1950)

Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies (1969)

Exempt Premieres:

Silent Sunday Night

Silent Movie (1976)

TCM Import

Identification of a Woman (1982)

Range:

1920s: 7

1930s: 14

1940s: 14

1950s: 14

1960s: 14

1970s: 15

1980s: 9

1990s: 7

I am very sorry to come to this in such a hurried state. I have not considered the submitted schedules except to scan them to ensure that my schedule did not duplicate some other entry's theme(s). I am quite sure from seeing the names of other entrants that they must all be quite wonderful. I hope to have sufficient time to consider them fully before the closing of the voting thread and to post appropriate comments.

I am sorry to say that it is doubtful that I will be able to post Programming Notes. I believe that it is obvious that the theme for the week came from the Challenge Requirement of: Memorable Characters Of A Decade. The date of the week is arbitrary because I lacked time to perform proper research to have anniversary or birthday tributes.

I apologize for any formatting and typographical errors. The schedule was composed on a tablet and transferred to our home computer for posting. It is common that texts which are error-free acquire errors in transfer and transmission. 

:)

Capuchin, what a great schedule! I love how you maintained the "through the decades" thing for all those themes and with all great movies. Judith Anderson rocks and Trevor Howard never gets any attention, and who's more memorable than the monsters of the 1930s? Love your movie choices overall, but you had me when you scheduled A NEW LEAF back to back with PIRATES OF PENZANCE. :)

I love how you maintained the "through the decades" thing for all those themes and with all great movies. Judith Anderson rocks and Trevor Howard never gets any attention, and who's more memorable than the monsters of the 1930s? Love your movie choices overall, but you had me when you scheduled A NEW LEAF back to back with PIRATES OF PENZANCE. :)

I thank you for your kind words.

I knew I would have to make schedule in bits and pieces and then arrange days and match to evenings. it was by this that theme could not be one which needed certain cadence or rising tension and one for which I need not maintain a particular flavor of movies. The Challenge Requirement of Decades gave me that theme to adapt to all evenings. It was easy to adapt as successive decades for daytime. 

I do hope that I made few mistakes in it. :)

I am very sorry to come to this in such a hurried state. I have not considered the submitted schedules except to scan them to ensure that my schedule did not duplicate some other entry's theme(s). I am quite sure from seeing the names of other entrants that they must all be quite wonderful. I hope to have sufficient time to consider them fully before the closing of the voting thread and to post appropriate comments.

I am sorry to say that it is doubtful that I will be able to post Programming Notes. I believe that it is obvious that the theme for the week came from the Challenge Requirement of: Memorable Characters Of A Decade. The date of the week is arbitrary because I lacked time to perform proper research to have anniversary or birthday tributes.

I apologize for any formatting and typographical errors. The schedule was composed on a tablet and transferred to our home computer for posting. It is common that texts which are error-free acquire errors in transfer and transmission. 
:)

Love, love, love how you have taken your themes through the decades along with Judith Anderson, "The Future Is Not What It Was in the 1970's" (Colossus:  The Forbin Project is such a guilty pleasure) and Memorable Characters of the 1930's.  Great job, as always.

Lydecker

Well Mrs. Capuchin, although the themes are kind of broad, and My Neighbor Totoro is really a 1988 film, moving through the decades is a nice idea.  I'm a Slave of Love fan myself, and as a Canadian, I would also like the chance to see Close-Up.

5:45 PM Eat Drink Man Woman (1994) Sihung Lung, Yu-Wen ****, Chien-lien Wu. Dir: Ang Lee, Ang Lee Prods., 123 mins., P/S

I always enjoyed Yu-Wen ****'s performance myself. :)

I think I've got 2-1/2 days left to time out, and think I've got enough themes to put into those days. (Thankfully those days include Sunday night, and picking a silent and an import is relatively trivial.) So barring a computer issue, I should have a schedule by Tuesday.

• Like 1

Love, love, love how you have taken your themes through the decades along with Judith Anderson, "The Future Is Not What It Was in the 1970's" (Colossus:  The Forbin Project is such a guilty pleasure) and Memorable Characters of the 1930's.  Great job, as always.

I thank you for your kind words.

I do fear that you might take exception because my choice of: "Memorable Characters of 1930s" is not the type of thing which you had in mind when setting the Challenge. That no other schedule which I saw used those movies supports my fear that I did not meet your expectations.

I very much like also: Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970). I am sorry to say that I did not feel that it is so very powerful a movie that it deserves to be an Essentials. That is why I placed it in the number-two spot for the evening.