Sign in to follow this  
joefilmone

"Salem's Lot" (1979)

8 posts in this topic

This made for tv adaptation of Stephen King's vampire novel has aged into a true horror film classic.  Great cast,  good script and inspired direction by Tobe Hooper- it has some moments of pure horror and nail biting suspense- and that nasty Nosferatu like vampire is the stuff of nightmares.

• Like 1

I watched SALEM'S LOT just a few months ago on a 2-Tape VHS set I bought years ago on Warner Home Video.  There was a shortened version released on 1 tape (which I believe was the European theatrical version), but I bought the full-length edition.  The video box says it runs 184 minutes.  I think the shortened version runs approx. 112 minutes. 

A thought from the cynic in me:  I wonder how many stupid people watch a DVD of an old Tv movie and wonder why it's not in Widescreen. 

Salem's Lot is an outstanding film.    All the elements come together to create a true horror classic.  It has a great cast, creepy atmosphere, well paced, and characters you actually care about.  Barlow's first appearance is so chilling.  I first saw this during its original airing ( I was pretty young ) and it gave me nightmares ( as any good horror film should do :)   I recently recorded it from Encore during their September Stephen King retrospective; I am saving it to watch closer to Halloween.  I wish other King tv adaptations could have been this good.

• Like 1

Thanks Joe....always looking for a good horror recommendation. I passed this one thinking all King adaptations were weak (except THE SHINING, for Kubrick fans only)

With the success of the " It" movie I bet you we'll get another movie or mini series adapation

3 minutes ago, jaragon said:

With the success of the " It" movie I bet you we'll get another movie or mini series adapation

Maybe. I don't see a lot of general Stephen King talk due to the recent It, though, and vampires are currently on a downswing in popularity thanks to the Twilight films.

There's supposed to be a new, multi-part film of The Stand in the works.