Sign in to follow this  
alix1929

Warren William

63 posts in this topic

Yep! He really does say it, and you can tell from his playboy demeanor that he means exactly what he says! Nobody in the 30's could pull off a line like that, except for William!

Marsh does decide to stay (on the pretext of taking a swim and asking for a loan), and his butler shows her to a guest room where there are swim suits of every size & color for her to choose from. He plies her with drink, thinking she's come up to his penthouse for that, but when he realizes she's an innocent, "under 18," as the title implies, he just loans her the money without the hanky-panky!

A true classic pre-Code! Everybody should request this one!

That's terrific. I've always read about this film but never seen it. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed it turns up sooner rather than later. And wouldn't a day of Warren William in Summer Under the Star be superb?!

another good Warren William performance is in the comedy 'Goodbye Again'. i love the scene where he gets tired of arguing with a group of people, so he steps into a closet and just hides in there while the scene keeps going without him for several minutes.

It is a national shame that Warren William is not well-known and fondly remembered. He was a singular talent, and always a pleasure to watch. And that hair! No one has hair like that - except possibly Christopher Walken!

Alix,

Finally TCM is showing Under Eighteen on December 4th. It's been years since this has been on and we both know what a classic pre-code treasure it is!

Big fan of Warren William and I am pleased that Skyscraper Souls and Beauty and the Boss are scheduled in October. I think Bedside is slotted for November and as previously mentioned Under Eighteen in December.

I would welcome a Warren William month.

Will keep an eye out for Under Eighteen! Have you all heard that Warren William was quite the inventor??? I remember seeing on AMC(You know, back when they ran American Movies that were Classic) a color short with him showing many of his ingenious devices. Don't think I taped it, but someone out there must have it.....

EDIT, well, after turning the thread order around(Hard for me to read end to beginning) I see you mention he was an inventor in the very first post! I think the short might have even showed his "RV" I seem to recall a short vehicle with lots of gadgets inside.

Message was edited by:

ziggyelman

Message was edited by:

ziggyelman

I've just been watching a delightful romantic comedy with Warren William and Marian Marsh. "Beauty and the Boss", 1932. The two are perfect together. It was on TCM early this morning.

I prefer Warren William over William Powell anyday. Warren and William have similarities in presence, appearance, and acting approach but I like Warren better. I actually can picture Warren doing The Thin Man series with Myrna Loy over William Powell. Don't hate me but I can't stand William Powell much because at times it seems he think he's acting or thinking he can get over with his suave personality. Warren really be acting. Warren could play charming romantic parts and low-down dirty scoundrels perfectly with charm.

I hope TCM show the pre-code rare classic The Mind Reader again with Warren and Constance Cummings. That was a good movie!

Oh by the way, Marian Marsh was a wonderful actress. I like her work. Marian was great in Five Star Final. Marian is still alive. TCM should give us more details on the few classic stars remaining.

I am so looking forward to seeing Under Eighteen tonight/tomorrow. I'll be sure to record also since it doesn't seem to be shown that often.

warren william rules! i think his best picture (or one of his finest) is THE MATCH KING, The film is loosely based on the Swedish industrialist Ivar Kreuger, who killed himself 9 months before this movie was released.

Yes, I agree. The Match King was excellent and based on a true story. The guy made a fortune monopolizing the sale of matches throughout Europe. What he was best at was making big money deals, getting loans, opening factories, getting monopolies inside various countries, giving kickbacks to government officials. Finally his empire came crashing down because he got too much in debt and couldn't pay his loans and faced prison time for fraud.