Sign in to follow this  
RMeingast

David Steinberg - Guest Programmer

20 posts in this topic

I probably remember David Steinberg most (http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/inductees/2003/david-steinberg) from his old TV show waaaaaaay back in the 1970s:

Yes, I know he did lots of other stuff too, but I remember that show... And his appearances on Carson...

Sort of ironic that Canuck Steinberg's pick of "Nights of Cabiria" for Oct. 13 doesn't air in Canada.

Instead we get "Guns for San Sebastian" at 2:00 a.m.

Oh well... Other Canadian content for October is Alex Trebek on Friday nights...

I've always like David Steinberg, but I don't like the guest programmer feature. It just means that the same films will be shown, simply with some celebrity saying why he likes them. If they must have this celebrity programmer feature, they should require perhaps all the films but one to be premieres.

• Like 2

Depending on who the guest programmer is, the selections are fantastic. Unusual even. Here's hoping that David is that kind of programmer.

I remember the first time I saw David Steinberg in a movie:  I had rented the 1978 comedy 'THE END' and he played Burt Reynolds' lawyer. 

I dunno, but I'd give ANYTHING to see David, while talking to Bob in a serious tone about his movie picks, suddenly stand up, grab some invisible creature off his left shoulder with his right hand, throw it on the floor and stomp on it while exclaiming "GET OFF", and then see Bob's reaction to that!!!

LOL

(...for those less familiar with Steinberg, this became quite the famous little catchphrase of his while a regular on the old "Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour") 

I dunno, but I'd give ANYTHING to see David, while talking to Bob in a serious tone about his movie picks, suddenly stand up, grab some invisible creature off his left shoulder with his right hand, throw it on the floor and stomp on it while exclaiming "GET OFF", and then see Bob's reaction to that!!!

LOL

(...for those less familiar with Steinberg, this became quite the famous little catchphrase of his while a regular on the old "Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour") 

That amused me when I saw it; I have no desire to see it on TCM! (To use your phraseology, Dargo, I'd give anything NOT to see it!)

That amused me when I saw it; I have no desire to see it on TCM! (To use your phraseology, Dargo, I'd give anything NOT to see it!)

Eeh! Sometimes you're just no fun, Swithin! ;)

(...I mean, Bob might be 82 y/o now, but I think his heart could stand it!!!) LOL

Eeh! Sometimes you're just no fun, Swithin! ;)

(...I mean, Bob might be 82 y/o now, but I think his heart could stand it!!!) LOL

I'm often no fun!  :)

With all the agonizing chat around here about should TCM be showing this type of movie, or that type, I'm trying NOT to get into the discussion of whether TCM should begin to offer stand-up routines as part of the interviews.

My cell phone provider contacted me recently to try to get me to join some point scheme, to get stuff. I said, please, just provide efficient, reasonably priced cell phone service!

I remember the first time I saw David Steinberg in a movie:  I had rented the 1978 comedy 'THE END' and he played Burt Reynolds' lawyer. 

Saw him first, live, in ensemble at Second City in Chicago. It was 1965 or '66. Beginning of his career, nothing on TV or film as yet. Down the street (Wells Street in Old Town) Big Brother & the Holding Company was holding court at Mother Blues, and across the street in some big bohemian emporium of small record and book shops, clothing boutiques  (might have been called "The Kaleidoscope" or something) 'underground films' by Kenneth Anger, Warhol and others were being screened in a little theater. We saw "Scorpio Rising". Steinberg was purely an amazement. The audience fell immediately in love. The one thing I recall of his various performances that night was a skit in which he plays this wildly neurotic psychiatrist who is far nuttier and more comically paranoid than any of his clients. It was a scream!

Can never get enough of Groucho's reactions to Chico's hesitations in the "contract" scene!

(...thanks David...great pick!)

I've always like David Steinberg, but I don't like the guest programmer feature. It just means that the same films will be shown, simply with some celebrity saying why he likes them. If they must have this celebrity programmer feature, they should require perhaps all the films but one to be premieres.

Yes, seldom anything original is chosen.......just an excuse to trot out the usual suspects........

Yes, seldom anything original is chosen.......just an excuse to trot out the usual suspects........

So true.

But the guest hosts are limited to the films TCM already has under lease.    Also,  without guest host TCM would still show too many repeats; e.g. Bringing Up Baby.    So yea,  I would like more original (premier), films but I don't see where guest host increase non premier flims above the standard TCM programming.

So true.

But the guest hosts are limited to the films TCM already has under lease.    Also,  without guest host TCM would still show too many repeats; e.g. Bringing Up Baby.    So yea,  I would like more original (premier), films but I don't see where guest host increase non premier flims above the standard TCM programming.

It's become like The Essentials (another show I dont watch........)

Please, don't anyone tell Miss Wonderly, but I am so sick of Swing Time I could plotz.

I always check out A Night at the Opera though.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm not a big fan of Swing Time either. (except for a couple numbers)..

Please, don't anyone tell Miss Wonderly, but I am so sick of Swing Time I could plotz.

I always check out A Night at the Opera though.

Lorna, I am picturing you, in the midst of dancing "The Waltz in Swing Time," then suddenly plotzing. I assume you would just "pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again!"

LOL

It was a controversial Steinberg comedy routine that led to the end of the Smothers Brothers' show on CBS. He delivered a "sermonette" about Jonah in the spring of 1969, and it prompted CBS to pull the plug on the show. Although it seems tame today, here is a part of what Steinberg said:

“...And the Gentiles, as is their wont from time to time, threw the Jew overboard. The Old Testament scholars say that Jonah was in fact swallowed by a whale. The Gentiles (the New Testament scholars), said, ‘Hold it, Jews. No.’ They literally grabbed the Jews by the Old Testament. They said, 'Jonah could not have been swallowed by a whale…because whales have tiny gullets and cannot swallow whole prophets.' Therefore, they offered their own theory. That Jonah was in fact swallowed by a gigantic guppy…' ”