Sign in to follow this  
OBJ

Turner to lay off 1500 from all areas including CNN, TCM, TBS, etc.

44 posts in this topic

That's why TCM should break off into two stations.

One that is classic.

If Turner is laying off employees they certainly can't afford to operate another station.

If Turner is laying off employees they certainly can't afford to operate another station.

But just think of how many MORE people they'd have watching if they'd have a channel that showed ONLY pre-60's black and white movies!

The mind wobbles!

• Like 1

But just think of how many MORE people they'd have watching if they'd have a channel that showed ONLY pre-60's black and white movies!

The mind wobbles!

Yes dark, but I don't think you're taking into account the much higher "attrition rate" of the demographic that would be involved here!!! ;)

(...I mean, not to be maudlin here, but let's face FACTS...there ARE some demographics that are just a LITTLE closer to "Death's Door" than OTHERS, ya know!!!)  LOL

• Like 1

Don't confuse him with logic.

The mind wobbles!

That is a very solid point.    The odds are high that TCM would have LESS people watching if they ONLY featured pre-60s movies (forget about just B&W which just makes your joke all the more funnier).

Yea,  how many fans of pre-60s movies are out there saying 'yea,  I would watch TCM but only if they ONLY show pre-60s movies'.

NONE I assume.   The only people like that are at this forum!

• Like 1

Don't confuse him with logic.

Guess you never heard of buckets - as in, the bucket that personnel is paid out of is different than the bucket for operating costs.

So fire away the old f-olk, less people can do more work, haven't you heard? Doesn't mean a case can't be made for two TCM stations.

Think of it, more hours on more stations to hawk those dvds and cruises, wedged in between 24 hours of non-stop classically classic movies. Ben can take over the new and improved station.

Meanwhile, you all can have your dvds and cruise hawking wedged in between 24 hours of non-stop junk. You can keep RO.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, the sheer loveliness of a station devoted to those who truly love the classics.

Hey Dargo! TCM Facebook can be assigned specifically to those who love the classically classics, and this message board can be for the others. :D:lol::P:rolleyes:

Yes dark, but I don't think you're taking into account the much higher "attrition rate" of the demographic that would be involved here!!!

(...I mean, not to be maudlin here, but let's face FACTS...there ARE some demographics that are just a LITTLE closer to "Death's Door" than OTHERS, ya know!!!)  LOL

Last time I mentioned that there was an older demographic like that I was accused of wanting it dead. One member who no longer posts under the name got so incensed about it that they got themselves put on administrative something or other.

That's why TCM should break off into two stations.

One that is classic.

The other to show all the junk that it now does. Except when it shows the classically classic stuff.

the so called junk is inevitabe

the so called junk is inevitabe

Of course, no disputing that. And not having a DVR, I would be hard pressed to watch the TCM that I used to love 24 hours a day, every day.

But I'd like to try.

No danger of it, I'm afraid, so my set gets much rest.

The mind wobbles!

..and the more obscure the better. Showing EMPLOYEES' ENTRANCE twice within 6 months really **** me off.

That is a very solid point.    The odds are high that TCM would have LESS people watching if they ONLY featured pre-60s movies (forget about just B&W which just makes your joke all the more funnier).

Yea,  how many fans of pre-60s movies are out there saying 'yea,  I would watch TCM but only if they ONLY show pre-60s movies'.

NONE I assume.   The only people like that are at this forum!

I agree.  One factor is that most people have already purchased the DVD or saved the movies they like in some fashion.  Showing only old B&W movies would really decrease the number of people watching.  TCM is already showing the same movies over and over and over and over.  I like old B&W movies, but also like others as well.  What about the pre-60 color movies?  GWTW never again?  Many of my favorite TCM movies come from the 60's-great comedies and dramas during that period.

Last time I mentioned that there was an older demographic like that I was accused of wanting it dead. One member who no longer posts under the name got so incensed about it that they got themselves put on administrative something or other.

Oh, yeah. I think I remember that guy.

(...wasn't his permanent tagline on all his posts somethin' like: "Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!" ???)

I agree.  One factor is that most people have already purchased the DVD or saved the movies they like in some fashion.  Showing only old B&W movies would really decrease the number of people watching.  TCM is already showing the same movies over and over and over and over.  I like old B&W movies, but also like others as well.  What about the pre-60 color movies?  GWTW never again?  Many of my favorite TCM movies come from the 60's-great comedies and dramas during that period.

So many words from so many people - why are you all getting your knickers in a twist? It's never going to happen, so just enjoy your junk.

You may be the leader in drawing people into getting warning points......A born provocateur.

Elise Crane Derby is attempting to raise a schitstorm about any potential layoffs/negative changes at TCM. She wants y'all to send letters supporting TCM. Read about it here:

http://elisesramblings.blogspot.ca/2014/10/tcm-letter-writing-campaign.html

And here for the Twitter campaign "#DontTouchTCM":

https://twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q=%23DontTouchTCM&src=typd

Apparently about 15% of Atlanta-based staff will be cut:
https://willmckinley.wordpress.com/2014/10/07/as-turner-layoffs-loom-one-fan-says-donttouchtcm/

TCM programming boss Michael Wright is gone too:
http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2014/08/29/tbs-tnt-tcm-programming-chief-michael-wright-out/

TCM bigwig Scott McGee was interviewed on radio September 27 about the layoffs and said:

“Everybody at TCM is very optimistic; our parent company recognizes that TCM is a very valuable jewel in the portfolio, if you will. So we’re all optimistic that things will stay relatively okay,” he said. “But to coin a phrase from William Goldman, nobody really knows anything.”

The radio interview starts at about the 40 minute mark of the radio show (Show #3):
http://www.aliciamayershow.com/show-archive/

• Like 1

You may be the leader in drawing people into getting warning points......A born provocateur.

Only to those who are a little bit nuts to begin with.

Only to those who are a little bit nuts to begin with.

LOL

(...in the words of all those related souls who rally behind their own on TV's "Family Feud": "GOOD ANSWER!", dark!!!) ;)

Just a very slight push drives them over the edge.

I'm not really the pushy type. It's more like the force it takes to blow out a lit match.