Sign in to follow this  
Hibi

Sunday, Bloody Sunday

10 posts in this topic

What??? No mention of this film shown last night??? I know it's been shown before, but rarely. And always in the early morning hours. A trailblazing film from the early 70s and Peter Finch should've won an Oscar for it. (over Gene Hackman) Havent seen it in a long time, but recorded it for future viewing. Glenda Jackson is great too.

Where is everybody down here??? (LOL)

• Like 1

I hope I got all the film. I forgot to check this morning........

• Like 1

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this already, but the 12:15 AM PST airing of Sunday Bloody Sunday was severely edited. I realize people are always claiming that a film has been cut or altered on TCM, when in fact it is not so, but trust me, this version was butchered for at least the first 20 minutes (I quit watching because of the changes.)

Examples of cuts: 1) The nudity is modest, but it disappeared completely in the first of Glenda Jackson's bedroom scenes with Murray Head. 2) Glenda's comment about smelling "pot" while the kids are visiting her and Murray in bed the next morning was cut. 3) The most shocking cut was that of Peter Finch and Head kissing upon greeting each other at Peter's flat/office. Unbelievable. And last (before I said no more), the cut of Finch shouting the word, "Christ," after having a hard day at the office.

Has TCM changed its policy of showing only unedited films?

• Like 1

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this already, but the 12:15 AM PST airing of Sunday Bloody Sunday was severely edited. I realize people are always claiming that a film has been cut or altered on TCM, when in fact it is not so, but trust me, this version was butchered for at least the first 20 minutes (I quit watching because of the changes.)

Examples of cuts: 1) The nudity is modest, but it disappeared completely in the first of Glenda Jackson's bedroom scenes with Murray Head. 2) Glenda's comment about smelling "pot" while the kids are visiting her and Murray in bed the next morning was cut. 3) The most shocking cut was that of Peter Finch and Head kissing upon greeting each other at Peter's flat/office. Unbelievable. And last (before I said no more), the cut of Finch shouting the word, "Christ," after having a hard day at the office.

WHAT BULL SH-T! Sorry to hear this. Must have been an edited version for tv. I'm not sure I even want to watch it now (I recorded it) They may as well have shown it in primetime then! :(

• Like 1

This was my first time seeing it, so I wasn't aware of the cuts.  Not good.

I liked that Peter Finch's character didn't seem to have any angst about being gay, he seemed accepting of it.  It was nice to see Bessie Love in a small part, but choice part.  I hadn't realized she had such a long film career.

• Like 1

Was the release (version), you're referring to the original (first time),  version release to theaters or a later type of version (e.g. a directors cut,  or secondary studio release)? 

Also,  there could have been an American version and a European version and TCM was showing the American version.    I don't view different versions made for different markets as being edited versions, per se.    They are just different versions.  e.g. the two different versions of The Big Sleep.

Either way, TCM should aways specify what version they are showing.   (sadly it appears sometimes the programmer don't know and that is unaccecptable).

• Like 1

Was the release (version), you're referring to the original (first time),  version release to theaters or a later type of version (e.g. a directors cut,  or secondary studio release)? 

Also,  there could have been an American version and a European version and TCM was showing the American version.    I don't view different versions made for different markets as being edited versions, per se.    They are just different versions.  e.g. the two different versions of The Big Sleep.

Either way, TCM should aways specify what version they are showing.   (sadly it appears sometimes the programmer don't know and that is unaccecptable).

I saw the "American" version when it was released. It was NOT edited. Whatever version TCM showed was a cleaned up for tv version (must be from the 70s. They say worse than CHRIST! on tv now). Ridiculous. I deleted my recording rather than watch it with all the cuts. Guess I'll buy the DVD if I want to watch the original version........

• Like 1

This was my first time seeing it, so I wasn't aware of the cuts.  Not good.

I liked that Peter Finch's character didn't seem to have any angst about being gay, he seemed accepting of it.  It was nice to see Bessie Love in a small part, but choice part.  I hadn't realized she had such a long film career.

Yes, Bessie played the telephone operator. There were a lot of great English actors in the film (Peggy Ashcroft and others....)

• Like 1

"Sunday, Bloody Sunday" was a groundbreaking film in that it explored a young man's bisexuality - he was sexually involved with an older woman and an older man.

Glenda Jackson, Peter Finch and Murray Head will always be memorable in their roles.

The screenwriter and the director - and, of course, the actors - made it all seem so natural.

No moaning and groaning, no carrying-on.

IT WAS WHAT IS WAS.

Below, from left to right, Daniel, Bob and Alex.

168793642.jpg