Sign in to follow this  
lydecker

Pandora's Box

7 posts in this topic

I seem to remember that this has been shown on TCM.  Does anyone recall what the length was? Also, have any other Louise Brooks films been shown on TCM?  The Canary Murder Case?

Lydecker

I seem to remember that this has been shown on TCM.  Does anyone recall what the length was? Also, have any other Louise Brooks films been shown on TCM?  The Canary Murder Case?

Lydecker

Pandora's Box (running time 2 hours 14 minutes) usually shows up about once a year, and as far as I know it's the only Louise Brooks movie that gets played on TCM.   What would really be nice would be to see Diary of a Lost Girl, Beggars of Life, Prix de Beaute, and the aforementioned  The Canary Murder Case.  Brooks is one of the truly great actresses of the silent screen, and it's a shame that TCM seems only to be able to get one of her many movies, even if it's her most famous one.

• Like 1

I just saw the Canary Murder Case just the other day on youtube. The quality is very poor but, it is watchable. I didn't know Brooks' voice until then.

• Like 1

Pandora's Box (running time 2 hours 14 minutes) usually shows up about once a year, and as far as I know it's the only Louise Brooks movie that gets played on TCM.   What would really be nice would be to see Diary of a Lost Girl, Beggars of Life, Prix de Beaute, and the aforementioned  The Canary Murder Case.  Brooks is one of the truly great actresses of the silent screen, and it's a shame that TCM seems only to be able to get one of her many movies, even if it's her most famous one.

I would love to see more of her work.  I am thinking about buying "Rare Films of Louise Brooks, Vol. 1, 2, 3" by Classic Video Streams (available on Amazon) even though there have been many complaints about the quality of these film transfers.  It is a shame TCM can't obtain rights to air more of her films.

I would love to see more of her work.  I am thinking about buying "Rare Films of Louise Brooks, Vol. 1, 2, 3" by Classic Video Streams (available on Amazon) even though there have been many complaints about the quality of these film transfers.  It is a shame TCM can't obtain rights to air more of her films.

Brooks' two greatest films -- the ones she'll always be remembered for -- are available in good prints, PANDORA'S BOX on a Criterion DVD, and DIARY OF A LOST GIRL on Kino.

• Like 2

I just saw the Canary Murder Case just the other day on youtube. The quality is very poor but, it is watchable. I didn't know Brooks' voice until then.

The Canary Murder Case was pretty much the turning point for Louise Brooks' career as she refused to lend her voice to it (Margaret Livingston would up dubbing for her-she's best known for Sunrise and was also in Call Her Savage), but Louise didn't care. Anyone intersted in Louise Brooks should read Barry Paris' biography of her, one of the best film bios I've ever read.  I too would love TCM to show Diary of a Lost Girl, my favorite of hers. Her last film, a quickie with John Wayne-Overland Stage Raiders, is on You Tube as well.

The Canary Murder Case was pretty much the turning point for Louise Brooks' career as she refused to lend her voice to it (Margaret Livingston would up dubbing for her-she's best known for Sunrise and was also in Call Her Savage), but Louise didn't care. Anyone intersted in Louise Brooks should read Barry Paris' biography of her, one of the best film bios I've ever read.  I too would love TCM to show Diary of a Lost Girl, my favorite of hers. Her last film, a quickie with John Wayne-Overland Stage Raiders, is on You Tube as well.

I was just about to ask if there was a great bio of LB.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Lydecker