TopBilled

The Overplayed and the Underplayed

487 posts in this topic

These titles are premiering on TCM in October 2016:

ALIAS JOHN PRESTON                                                           

BLOOD AND BLACK LACE                                                           

THE BRIDES OF FU MANCHU                                                           

THE CHALK GARDEN                                                                       

THE CREEPING FLESH                                                                       

THE DEVIL SHIP PIRATES                                                           

DOLEMITE                                                                                   

EPIDEMIC                                                                                   

FIRST FAMILY                                                                       

FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN                                   

GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN                                                           

HARRIGAN’S KID                                                                       

HONEYSUCKLE ROSE                                                           

HORROR HOTEL                                                                       

HOUSE                                                                                   

HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN                                                           

IS MY FACE RED?                                                                       

JAWS 2                                                                                   

JAWS 3                                                                                   

JINNAH                                                                                   

JOE                                                                                               

LADY SNOWBLOOD                                                                       

THE LAST MILE (1932)                                                                                  

LILAC TIME                                                                                   

MOTHERS OF MEN                                                                       

NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT                                                           

THE OBLONG BOX                                                                                   

ROAR                                                                                               

SCARS OF DRACULA                                                                       

SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN                                               

SNOW JOB                                                                                   

TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA                                               

TERROR OF THE TONGS                                                           

THE VENGEANCE OF FU MANCHU                                               

WE GO TO MONTE CARLO                                                           

THE WOMAN WHO WOULDN’T DIE                                               

THE ZODIAC KILLER                                                                       

I am defining any underplayed title as one that has not aired on TCM since 2011 (five years or more).

Underplayed titles that are airing in November 2016:

Not aired since 1997:

ZABRISKIE POINT

Not aired since 2005:

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA

Not aired since 2006:

SINS OF THE CHILDREN

Not aired since 2008:

YOUNG AND INNOCENT

Not aired since 2009:

ALWAYS TOGETHER

RAIN MAN

Not aired since 2010:

A LIKELY STORY

LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER

Not aired since 2011:

NO SAD SONGS FOR ME

• Like 1

These titles are premiering on TCM in November 2016:

ALONE IN THE DARK (1982)

BLITHE SPIRIT (1945)

THE EAR (1970)

FANTASTIC VOYAGE (1966)

FUNERAL IN BERLIN (1966)

HE KNOWS YOU'RE ALONE (1980)

I'LL BE YOURS (1947)

KILLER PARTY (1986)

THE LIFE OF RILEY (1949)

LOVE ME FOREVER (1935)

MELINDA (1972)

THE MUTHERS (1976)

NICE GIRL? (1941)

PUNK VACATION (1990)

THE SAINTED SISTERS (1948)

WHEN YOU'RE IN LOVE (1937)

WINGS (1966)

• Like 1

FUNERAL IN BERLIN (1966)

I enjoyed all the Harry Palmer films. I remember once TCM played 4 or 5 Michael Caine films in a row from about this time in his career. All had action and were good. I didn't know that Caine played action characters so often.

That was one more time TCM turned me on to a new actor. Or a side of an actor I didn't know existed.

• Like 2

These titles are premiering on TCM in November 2016:

ALONE IN THE DARK (1982)

HE KNOWS YOU'RE ALONE (1980)

KILLER PARTY (1986)

I suspect an "80's slasher" theme is in the works at some point...

I suspect an "80's slasher" theme is in the works at some point...

Do you think that's why they're acquiring all these films? Of course, it would make more sense if they waited to do that next October.

I am defining any underplayed title as one that has not aired on TCM since 2011 (five years or more).

Underplayed titles that are airing in November 2016:

Not aired since 1997:

ZABRISKIE POINT

Not aired since 2005:

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA

Not aired since 2006:

SINS OF THE CHILDREN

Not aired since 2008:

YOUNG AND INNOCENT

Not aired since 2009:

ALWAYS TOGETHER

RAIN MAN

Not aired since 2010:

A LIKELY STORY

LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER

Not aired since 2011:

NO SAD SONGS FOR ME

I always enjoy the chance to re "re-evaluate" Antonioni's intriguing "Zabriskie Point".

• Like 1

Do you think that's why they're acquiring all these films? Of course, it would make more sense if they waited to do that next October.

But October is when they also acquired the flood of Hammer films (and the Jaws sequels to go with Universal's Monsters...Farewell, AMC).

As for "acquiring" the three, they're New Line and MGM titles, already in Warner's Archive.

Speaking of October, may we assume that "Roar" is the infamous Tippi Hendren production that only recently resurfaced on video this year?

• Like 2

But October is when they also acquired the flood of Hammer films (and the Jaws sequels to go with Universal's Monsters...Farewell, AMC).

As for "acquiring" the three, they're New Line and MGM titles, already in Warner's Archive.

I think you misunderstood. Since this year's schedule is already in place, by "next October" I meant 2017. But as you say, if these 80s slasher films are in the TCM/Turner library, they can turn up at any time. 

We are seeing more 80s films on the schedule lately. Perhaps it's because as we approach the 2020s, people are starting to look at the 80s as more of a "classic" decade.

I just love these kind of obscure movies - definitely not the 4 star movies.  But I fall in love with some aspect of them and watch them again and again.  Like, "Shadow on the wall."  And I wonder when I'm going to see another one like it - that I never heard of before and is going to grab me. TCM sometimes shows them, sometimes a few times in a year or two, and then there's the longggg wait.  One of them was "Scream in the dark" (I think that's the title).  I wish I was knowledgeable enough to explain why I like them so much, but it's a combination of the quality of that wonderful black and white, a script I enjoy, and actors who are  believable.   As a diagnosed insomniac, I use some of these films to go to sleep by (and I don't mean they're boring to me!) (because I know every moment of them) and they aren't too musical.  I love....aggg!  The name just went out of my head - Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman as doctors at the mental health hospital!  I love that movie, but the music overwhelms some of the scenes, over and over.  It's beautiful music, though, just too loud compared to the vocal levels (there's probably an industry explanatory name for that very thing).  I wish I could see it without some of the background music.  (Even Gigi Perreau doesn't wake me up screaming anymore, as long as I have medication :^)

What's your favorite obscure film that you absolutely love (and maybe nobody else quite gets it like you do)?

• Like 2

I just love these kind of obscure movies - definitely not the 4 star movies.  But I fall in love with some aspect of them and watch them again and again.  Like, "Shadow on the wall."  And I wonder when I'm going to see another one like it - that I never heard of before and is going to grab me. TCM sometimes shows them, sometimes a few times in a year or two, and then there's the longggg wait.  One of them was "Scream in the dark" (I think that's the title).  I wish I was knowledgeable enough to explain why I like them so much, but it's a combination of the quality of that wonderful black and white, a script I enjoy, and actors who are  believable.   As a diagnosed insomniac, I use some of these films to go to sleep by (and I don't mean they're boring to me!) (because I know every moment of them) and they aren't too musical.  I love....aggg!  The name just went out of my head - Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman as doctors at the mental health hospital!  I love that movie, but the music overwhelms some of the scenes, over and over.  It's beautiful music, though, just too loud compared to the vocal levels (there's probably an industry explanatory name for that very thing).  I wish I could see it without some of the background music.  (Even Gigi Perreau doesn't wake me up screaming anymore, as long as I have medication :^)

What's your favorite obscure film that you absolutely love (and maybe nobody else quite gets it like you do)?

Welcome to the boards. I think you are referring to the Bergman-Peck film SPELLBOUND.

I'm always finding great studio era classics that don't air on TCM. Last night and this morning I watched a Universal gem from 1950 called LOUISA. Spring Byington plays Ronald Reagan's mother, and he blows a gasket when she takes up with a grocer played by Edmund Gwenn. Since a grocer is beneath their social standing, he encourages his mother to slow down. Then, when his boss (played by the great Charles Coburn) shows up at the house to go over a business deal, the boss meets Byington and is instantly smitten. So of course, Reagan doesn't object, since it means his mother will drop Gwenn like a hot potato and this better arrangement will ensure Reagan becomes Vice President of the company. The scenes are very well played, and the senior love triangle is charming from start to finish. I see a film like this and think, gosh TCM should play this one. Everyone will love it!

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-09-07%2Bat%2B7.10.3

• Like 1

An American film - "Obsession" - with Cliff Robinson and Genevieve Bujold.

The script - a salute to "Vertigo" - is fascinating - and the music by Bernard Hermann is spellbinding.

The ending - in which the true identity of the heroine is revealed - is one-of-a-kind.

I love films that are strongly tainted with - madness.

• Like 2

Welcome to the boards. I think you are referring to the Bergman-Peck film SPELLBOUND.

I'm always finding great studio era classics that don't air on TCM. Last night and this morning I watched a Universal gem from 1950 called LOUISA. Spring Byington plays Ronald Reagan's mother, and he blows a gasket when she takes up with a grocer played by Edmund Gwenn. Since a grocer is beneath their social standing, he encourages his mother to slow down. Then, when his boss (played by the great Charles Coburn) shows up at the house to go over a business deal, the boss meets Byington and is instantly smitten. So of course, Reagan doesn't object, since it means his mother will drop Gwenn like a hot potato and this better arrangement will ensure Reagan becomes Vice President of the company. The scenes are very well played, and the senior love triangle is charming from start to finish. I see a film like this and think, gosh TCM should play this one. Everyone will love it!

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-09-07%2Bat%2B7.10.3

I would automatically watch this because I watch anything with Spring Byington and Edmund Gwynn.  They're both jewels and I've liked them in just about everything they've been in.  Gwynn was wonderful in "The Devil and Miss Jones."  He played that wonderfully unlikable  character so perfectly I actually felt sorry for him in the movie.  Byington is always good.  She was a charming actress, so homey and comfortable (but never in a predictable way exactly).

I've never heard of Louisa!  Thanks!

• Like 1

An American film - "Obsession" - with Cliff Robinson and Genevieve Bujold.

The script - a salute to "Vertigo" - is fascinating - and the music by Bernard Hermann is spellbinding.

The ending - in which the true identity of the heroine is revealed - is one-of-a-kind.

I love films that are strongly tainted with - madness.

I like this film a lot.  I have always been a Genevieve Bujold fan and the reveal at the end is unique!

• Like 3

I would automatically watch this because I watch anything with Spring Byington and Edmund Gwynn.  They're both jewels and I've liked them in just about everything they've been in.  Gwynn was wonderful in "The Devil and Miss Jones."  He played that wonderfully unlikable  character so perfectly I actually felt sorry for him in the movie.  Byington is always good.  She was a charming actress, so homey and comfortable (but never in a predictable way exactly).

I've never heard of Louisa!  Thanks!

You're welcome. LOUISA is currently on YouTube. 

Hopefully TCM will air it at some point.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2016 at 1:47 PM, TopBilled said:

Titles in bold are ones that are being rebroadcast in August 2016.

Films most often broadcast on TCM (since 2002):

80 or more broadcasts:

THE PHILADELPHIA STORY…80

70 or more broadcasts:

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS…78

NORTH BY NORTHWEST…77

CASABLANCA…77

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD…75

60 or more broadcasts:

CITIZEN KANE…67

MILDRED PIERCE…64

MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON…64

THE MALTESE FALCON (1941)…64

GIGI…62

MEET JOHN DOE…62

FATHER OF THE BRIDE (1950)…62

GASLIGHT (1944)…62

WUTHERING HEIGHTS…61

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT…60

SERGEANT YORK…60

KEY LARGO…60

50 or more broadcasts:

BRINGING UP BABY...59

THE WOMEN…58

ADAM’S RIB…57

GUESS WHO’S COMING TO DINNER…57

LITTLE WOMEN (1933)…57

FORBIDDEN PLANET…57

TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT…57

THE THIN MAN…57

THE BIG SLEEP…57

ON THE TOWN…57

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE…56

A FACE IN THE CROWD…56

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS…56

STAGECOACH…56

NINOTCHKA…55

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF...55

THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL…55

NOW, VOYAGER…55

GUYS AND DOLLS…55

LITTLE WOMEN (1949)…55

THE YEARLING…54

SUSPICION…54

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE…54

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES…53

ON THE WATERFRONT...53

THE BISHOP’S WIFE…53

THE TIME MACHINE…53

SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS…53

THE BLACKBOARD JUNGLE…52

THE THIRD MAN…52

EXECUTIVE SUITE…52

THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE...52

YOU CAN’T TAKE IT WITH YOU…52

LOVE AFFAIR…52

THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER…52

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE…52

THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI…51

GUNGA DIN…50           

BEN-HUR…50

Has it really been over a year since this was updated? For some reason I thought this was kept up-to-date each month. We were discussing most overplayed titles in another thread.

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Has it really been over a year since this was updated? For some reason I thought this was kept up-to-date each month. We were discussing most overplayed titles in another thread.

Yes, I stopped doing it. I felt like I was over-emphasizing something most people already knew. But yes all the overplayed titles were probably shown just as often in 2017 and that will continue in 2018 and 2019 and...and...LOL

• Thanks 1

From MovieCollectorOH:   

Okay I am only going to do this once. (This is just based on the raw numbers I have from 1994-2018, which only excludes about a year and a half worth of info - mostly from 1998 and 1999 I think, and may not be indicative of current trends)

Casablanca ~ 125x
Meet Me In St. Louis (1944) ~ 121x
The Adventures Of Robin Hood (1938) ~ 120x
The Philadelphia Story (1940) ~ 118x
Citizen Kane (1941) ~ 113x
Gaslight (1944) ~ 112x
Singin' In The Rain (1952) ~ 110x
Meet John Doe (1941), On The Town (1949), North By Northwest ~ 108x [tie]
The Maltese Falcon (1941) ~ 105x
Mildred Pierce (1945) - 102x
Father Of The Bride (1950), An American In Paris (1951) ~ 98x [tie]
Adam’s Rib (1949) ~ 97x

P.S. Nothing you didn't already know

• Thanks 1

Thanks James. And we can be sure those titles will continue to receive heavy airplay, even a hundred years from now.

Hate to say it, but I have a feeling GONE WITH THE WIND (which curiously is not on your list) will join SONG OF THE SOUTH as a politically incorrect portrayal of slavery and it will be played less and less. Ironically, that title is the reason Ted Turner acquired the whole MGM/UA library, because he wanted to own GWTW.

Most of the movies on this list are worth overplaying because they're great films.  If TCM is going to overplay something, at least they make it something that stands up to repeated viewings.  I imagine with all the hours in the day, every day, to be filled with programming, there are bound to be overplayed movies.

1 hour ago, ChristineHoard said:

Most of the movies on this list are worth overplaying because they're great films.  If TCM is going to overplay something, at least they make it something that stands up to repeated viewings.  I imagine with all the hours in the day, every day, to be filled with programming, there are bound to be overplayed movies.

Yes, despite how this thread may have begun and continued for awhile, I've realized that overplaying a classic is not really a problem if it keeps finding an audience. However, I still do think it's a problem when some titles are underplayed or never played. It's far worse to have something good slip into obscurity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, despite how this this thread may have begun and continued for awhile, I've realized that overplaying a classic is not really a problem if it keeps finding an audience. However, I still do think it's a problem when some titles are underplayed or never played. It's far worse to have something good slip into obscurity.

Good point,  I wouldn't want something good to slip into obscurity, especially at the expense of something well known played over and over, either.  Maybe TCM can strike the right balance by expanding their liibrary/film rental arrangements.  I imagine this is a goal of TCM.

• Like 1

'The Searchers' can go.

In fact, I'd like to see every John Wayne movie (except maybe 'The Cowboys' - I like that one) dropped forever.

1 hour ago, darkblue said:

'The Searchers' can go.

In fact, I'd like to see every John Wayne movie (except maybe 'The Cowboys' - I like that one) dropped forever.

No way....I love all of the Duke's movies (especially THE SEARCHERS). 

Well, except THE CONQUERER.... now that is one John Wayne movie I would like to forget.