TopBilled

The Overplayed and the Underplayed

481 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

I'd like tcm to show the 1977 ABC-TV miniseries WASHINGTON: BEHIND CLOSED DOORS...

if that's too long I'll settle for WILL: G GORDON LIDDY with a helluva performance by Robert Conrad.

:D

Personally Nip ol' boy, I'd rather just watch Conrad in those old Eveready battery commercials...

hqdefault.jpg

(...'cause THEN "Mr. Macho" here would only be on TV screen for a minute or two)

Hal Holbrook's Deep Throat references that Liddy candle thing in All the President's Men, but didn't Liddy just steal that line from Lawrence of Arabia? Did anyone ever call him out on his plagiarism, even if he was brave (or stupid) enough to stick his hand into the flame? There were no VCRs or TCM yet, but certainly someone Liddy knew was old enough to have seen the movie.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:30 PM, ChristineHoard said:

If TCM isn't going to run classic movies that don't have racism or racial stereotypes, we're going to see fewer movies and we'll really see some overplayed films.  We can learn from our film history and how it reflects our real history.

So true....but with the removal of statues, I fear it's only going to be a matter of time before they start doing it with films as well.

I hope not, but with the political sensitive culture we live in nowadays, anything is possible.

On 1/11/2018 at 11:30 PM, ChristineHoard said:

If TCM isn't going to run classic movies that don't have racism or racial stereotypes, we're going to see fewer movies and we'll really see some overplayed films.  We can learn from our film history and how it reflects our real history.

I second and third this opinion. These films were made (usually) prior to 1960, not last week. And you can't understand where you are going if you don't understand where you have been. You've also got films like "The Best of Everything", made in 1959, where female college graduates of the ivy league start out...in the typing pool??? As a woman that just shows me how far we've come. I'd never want to not show these films just because they are anti-feminist. That's a sentiment that didn't even exist until the 1960s and really didn't catch on in American society at large until the 1980s.

On 1/11/2018 at 9:30 PM, ChristineHoard said:

I think you have a double negative there, but I'd agree about learning from past history - warts and all.

3 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

So true....but with the removal of statues, I fear it's only going to be a matter of time before they start doing it with films as well.

I hope not, but with the political sensitive culture we live in nowadays, anything is possible.

They?????     Uh,  statues can be removed by city or county officials since they are owned by them or because they are on public property.  

Films are not owned by government officials so they can't be 'removed' by them.   Of course the party that owns the copyright could decide to withhold them but this is very rare.