MovieMadness

It's time for commericals on TCM to save the channel

171 posts in this topic

More "evidence" of a changing landscape today-

"FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler has proposed a change to the rules controlling who broadcasters sell content to, and would bar them from refusing to sell to Internet-based providers. That translates to a big opportunity for Apple to add new channels to Apple TV without cutting deals with cable providers like Comcast."

This is just in the newswires.

So a la cart service may be happening soon. This will force others to follow.

Ha............ha.................ha. :lol:

I look forward to seeing how this shakes out. Anything to drive FIOS and Cablevision out of business - OR make them sit up and notice they have a CUSTOMER out there - is music to my ears.

I just turned off an embarrassing Robert Ryan movie and am enjoying the heck out of Alpha House on Amazon Prime. Yes, Robert Ryan, one of the most SAAM men in movies. I was embarrassed for him, and I imagine he was embarrassed to be in this steaming soapy stinker.

Guess I am the wave of the future. Not bad for a dinosaur. :D

My reason for a break in the middle was so I could go to the bathroom.    But as long as TCM doesn't show Doctor Zhivago I should be ok.     (but maybe that movie has an intermission like some really long movies do).

But I do have a different POV;  I wouldn't mind one break during the movie as long as it was in the right place and only for movies that are over 70 or so minutes long.     Plays have 'acts' and a well placed break could serve a similar purpose.     

I'm for a minimum of 20 minutes myself. :D

My reason for a break in the middle was so I could go to the bathroom.    But as long as TCM doesn't show Doctor Zhivago I should be ok.     (but maybe that movie has an intermission like some really long movies do).

But I do have a different POV;  I wouldn't mind one break during the movie as long as it was in the right place and only for movies that are over 70 or so minutes long.     Plays have 'acts' and a well placed break could serve a similar purpose.     

All I can say in response to that is that I guess you must never record movies.  For those of us who do, mid-movie commercials just to have a bathroom break would be  a tradeoff that isn't even worth considering.

• Like 1

All I can say in response to that is that I guess you must never record movies.  For those of us who do, mid-movie commercials just to have a bathroom break would be  a tradeoff that isn't even worth considering.

Correct,  I don't record movies.   Since so many people do and can quickly run pass commercials,  adding them even between the films wouldn't create much revenue.   So TCM should just go the HBO route.  

You're right, of course, Andy. Television shows in the 1950s used to have commercials at the 15, 30, and 45 minute break, and of course at the top of the hour, with 51 minutes of programming. Now the average hour show is 42 minutes, and the 30 minute show is 22 minutes, interrupting whenever and wherever.

Sure, go ahead and trust TCM to have just one break for commercials - I won't.

I don't watch movies or television shows with commercials. Well, save one, which sadly isn't on On Demand. Manhattan is a fantastic show, and is must see teevee for me.

It would be worth considering if you had an enlarged prostate.

Is it any dumber than people feeling they have bonded with Bob or Ben and their immediate circle on a cruise? Folks want to be connected and part of that is wondering about the personal and financial aspects of TCMLifestyle Inc.

I don't think I expressed my point fully, perhaps because I had just arrived in London and was extremely jet-lagged. My point was, organizations that do a lot of the "public good" sometimes float, or encourage discussion, of controversial issues, so that, when the time comes for them to do something, they will already have the sampling of a group whose imprimatur (albeit nose-holding) makes it easier for them. I've been involved with various presenting organizations that justified raising fees that way -- slyly "encourage" conversation from people who were afraid of a huge increase; then give them a little one.

I also have a reasonable knowledge of licensing issues as related to performance/screening.  The more you earn, the more you pay. An increasingly commercial TCM would probably have to pay more for prints, which would defeat the whole exercise. 

• Like 2

I don't think I expressed my point fully, perhaps because I had just arrived in London and was extremely jet-lagged. My point was, organizations that do a lot of the "public good" sometimes float, or encourage discussion, of controversial issues, so that, when the time comes for them to do something, they will already have the sampling of a group whose imprimatur (albeit nose-holding) makes it easier for them. I've been involved with various presenting organizations that justified raising fees that way -- slyly "encourage" conversation from people who were afraid of a huge increase; then give them a little one.

I also have a reasonable knowledge of licensing issues as related to performance/screening.  The more you earn, the more you pay. An increasingly commercial TCM would probably have to pay more for prints, which would defeat the whole exercise. 

Absolutely, Swithin. Called 'floating a balloon', organizations and corporations that don't do public good also engage in this underhanded tactic. You've seen it, you've heard it - we're raising your bridge toll X, your subway token XX, your insert the next hosing here. Then, when the public is hit with only a smaller - the actual hike already worked out, of course - increase, they stupidly breathe a sigh of relief.

Ditto on food manufacturers - we're going to take away your X, e.g., Twinkies which actually did go away. Then, when these products come back, a shadow of their former selves, i.e., more chemicals, more fillers, less product, higher prices, the stupid public again breathes a sigh of relief.

How does the old saying go? There's no underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

But no matter, TCM will do what it will do, and we either go along for the ride, or we turn to our Roku and our Amazon Prime and our Fire TVs. It no longer matters to me, I've gotten quite used to watching television on my laptop.

You're right, of course, Andy. Television shows in the 1950s used to have commercials at the 15, 30, and 45 minute break, and of course at the top of the hour, with 51 minutes of programming. Now the average hour show is 42 minutes, and the 30 minute show is 22 minutes, interrupting whenever and wherever.

Sure, go ahead and trust TCM to have just one break for commercials - I won't.

I don't watch movies or television shows with commercials. Well, save one, which sadly isn't on On Demand. Manhattan is a fantastic show, and is must see teevee for me.

I watched a show on fx about an Aussie guy Jim Jefferies, who took care of his quadriplegic brother and I timed the exact time of the actual show vs commercials and not including the 30 second refresher of the previous scene and there were episodes that only had 15-16 min. of episode vs the 14-15 min of commercials. Recorded this on dvr so I could watch a half hour show in 15 min. It's like watching a stupid 30 sec to 1 minute commercial before watching a youtube video of only a min or less. When the ads take up equal or more time than the show/movie I'm done. I hate when they come back from a commercial and show you the last 30 seconds of what they just showed you before the commercial. The show has been cancelled, frown.

from MM's orig. post:

"Think of this as TCM being a baseball team and now starting to sell hotdogs and hamburgers between innings. If TCM has to add commercials to save the channel then do it!"

Swithin, is this the kind of question you mean?

(but do the vendors really end up restricting themselves to only selling between innings?)

<_<

Yikes!  I hope TCM in North America never becomes like the TCM in England.  Commercials during the movies for starters.  The channel airs from about 8 a.m. to midnight.  The same movies repeat all week long.  B Westerns mostly with the occasional classic like Casablanca or Philadelphia Story thrown in every three weeks.  No hosts, no special TCM ads, no spots with celebrities.  It's just utter dreck.

I have a dear friend in England. I was so excited that she was getting TCM (they have a version of cable tv that's free at a lower level ). Until I found out what it was she was watching. The sad part is that it doesn't even show classic British films either. Just action films from the 80's with a good classic mixed in once in a while.

TCM could always save a few bucks by dropping fee for maintaining these message boards

:unsure:

These message boards are like free marketing. They are overall a net profit for them.

I loved AMC until the commercials.  Totally ruined a good network.

AMC creates some of the most popular programs in all of television. When Walking Dead premieres, it draws more viewers than any network program. Why wouldn't they cash in on that ??

Absolutely.  Relatively speaking, TCM is a very cheap network to run.  You would think their corporate parent would love them and not mess with success.  But, I am sure they feel, as most corporations do, that "greed is good."

I agree.

So TCM should just go the HBO route.  

I stated that before and missed a major point. TCM is owned by Turner which is part of Time Warner as in Time Warner Cable. They want you to keep cable for this channel. They know 80% of channels are watched by probably 5% of subscribers.

How many of the channels in your package could fill a cruise ? Or make crowds at a festival ? I don't see any TLC cruises lol. This channel is cheap to run, they own  a vast majority of the films already. So its not moving anywhere unfortunately.

What many here are not factoring in is, new "channels" are popping up all the time. Streaming, OTA t.v., roku, amazon etc... and many are showing classic films. Maybe not the big ones but, they are classics. Who knows what the future holds ??

If they show commercials, they are no better than Get tv except Get tv is free.

Yes but the doomsayers' comments always provoke a response, don't they? So there is probably some truth in the idea that the channel is changing (and some fear it may eventually be a drastic change). Again, if there was nothing to worry about, then wouldn't you ignore the raw hand-ringing? Unless you're a dermatologist. :)

Normally, I do ignore the doomsayers.  Occasionally, however, I raise my voice of reason in a feeble attempt to return some common sense to the world, with the faint hope that one thread of wild and baseless speculation, at least, will be robbed of its motive power.  Futile, you say?  Yes, I know.  The addictiveness of paranoid speculation surpasses that even of nicotine.  Alas.  Well, at lest I got a lot of likes for my post.

• Like 1

With the recent rejection of a takeover and new cost cutting, it is inevitable that changes will happen at TCM. The idea is what changes would be acceptable and what changes would end the channel as we know it (in other words - what would we like to have happen and what would we not like).

On this issue I did notice something very interesting a couple of days ago and that is the value of AMC. Apparently the price of ads on AMC is relatively high, higher than many other channels. The worst ad pricing I saw was The Weather Channel.

So I would not be surprised to see TCM add commercials in between movies at some point if this value is real. I would not have a problem with that if it meant more movies and less repeats.

This is the easiest way to increase revenues at TCM. It also would not detract from the ad free movie viewing they currently have.

Think of this as TCM being a baseball team and now starting to sell hotdogs and hamburgers between innings. If TCM has to add commercials to save the channel then do it!

PS Maybe TCM could make it so some of the commercials are classic commercials that would fit the format.

Or, p

Oh YEAH! And MAYBE they could even start showing all these freakin' political ads we're now constantly inundated with on all the OTHER channels TOO?!!!

(...uh-huh, 'cause apparently there's BIG bucks to be had by showin' THOSE damn things now!) ;)

I live in Iowa, it's been going on here since July.

I have a dear friend in England. I was so excited that she was getting TCM (they have a version of cable tv that's free at a lower level ). Until I found out what it was she was watching. The sad part is that it doesn't even show classic British films either. Just action films from the 80's with a good classic mixed in once in a while.

These message boards are like free marketing. They are overall a net profit for them.

AMC creates some of the most popular programs in all of television. When Walking Dead premieres, it draws more viewers than any network program. Why wouldn't they cash in on that ??

I agree.

I stated that before and missed a major point. TCM is owned by Turner which is part of Time Warner as in Time Warner Cable. They want you to keep cable for this channel. They know 80% of channels are watched by probably 5% of subscribers.

How many of the channels in your package could fill a cruise ? Or make crowds at a festival ? I don't see any TLC cruises lol. This channel is cheap to run, they own  a vast majority of the films already. So its not moving anywhere unfortunately.

What many here are not factoring in is, new "channels" are popping up all the time. Streaming, OTA t.v., roku, amazon etc... and many are showing classic films. Maybe not the big ones but, they are classics. Who knows what the future holds ??

If they show commercials, they are no better than Get tv except Get tv is free.

Don't forget Mad Men. TCM isn't stupid. No matter how pie in the sky the apologists continue to be, TCM has to be eyeing the profit shown by AMC.

After all, when RO finally retires, TCM won't be replacing him with another old man. Or.....................HEAVEN FORBID!!!!!!!!!.............an old WOMAN! :D:D:D

On to the future and commercials at TCM!

I've thought about it, darkblue, and a 'commerical' is the hood ornament on a 1964 Ford Falcon. 

Ahh! I thought it was some kind of communist periodical.

If there is any TCM "belt tightening" to be done I think you'll see it in the following areas:

1.  Less Guest Programmers/Guest Hosts

Not sure what/if they pay these folks but they definitely pay crews to come in and shoot them

so limiting or discontinuing GPs and Guest Hosts would be a cost savings to TCM.  But, as they say, there IS a silver lining to every black cloud . . . Perhaps Drew will disappear!

2.  Less licensing of "new" classic product.  You think you have the Hall of Fame of Overplayed now? You'll be seeing Lawrence of Arabia every other day if they lessen the licensing of "new" (new classics, that is) films.

3.  Increased fees for cruise and film festival events and, assuming they make significant $$ from

these events, (seems to make sense since they continue to do these things year after year) you may see more than one film festival/cruise per year coming your way.

4.  Consolidation of management; that is, the same person who runs CNN now runs TNT, TCM, etc. They may already be doing this for all I know.

Lydecker

I stated earlier that I may know something about whatever cost cutting measures TCM faces and this week the entire TCM PR department was let go. I also found out that their won't be anymore original productions, although I don't know exactly what that entails.

Yeah-- but when I read your comments I couldn't help but think you were taking a cheap shot at others instead of fostering a real dialogue. If people are clicking 'like' on that kind of stuff, you have to wonder what kind of people they are...

Well if what Helen says is correct we now see that TCM has had to make changes due to conditions placed on them by their parent company.  So the speculation wasn't paranoid speculation and to me the comment was taking a cheap shot.   Oh well,  the shot missed its target.    

Sure, but put on the commercials  before the movie starts: like what's happening at some movie theaters these days. Otherwise, forget it !  Just create your own DVD library as many have done over the years. 

I stated earlier that I may know something about whatever cost cutting measures TCM faces and this week the entire TCM PR department was let go. I also found out that their won't be anymore original productions, although I don't know exactly what that entails.

How big is TCM's PR Department?  If it's a handful of people, that's not such a big blow, but if it comprised say, more than a dozen, that seems pretty drastic.  I enjoy some of the Original Productions TCM puts out.  Normally, it's been interviews with screen legends or programs about behind-the-scenes people that make what we see on screen seem rather special.  TCM is easily among my "top 10" stations to watch on a regular basis.  I hope it doesn't go the way of AMC, which really went downhill after "Remember WENN" was dropped.  Up till then, AMC was in my Top 10.  Since then, I just skip by it, although I did sort of get into Breaking Bad.

Well if what Helen says is correct we now see that TCM has had to make changes due to conditions placed on them by their parent company.  So the speculation wasn't paranoid speculation and to me the comment was taking a cheap shot.   Oh well,  the shot missed its target.    

I think these kinds of changes are significant. It says that instead of new original productions, they can just show what they've already produced (which will mean more 'reruns' on TCM). They could actually get rid of hosting for Essentials-- and just show the 'Best of Essentials' with Osborne and the previous hosts. Also, getting rid of a PR department means there is nothing to publicize anymore. Doesn't that seem like the channel (as we know it) is starting to fade away...?

I think these kinds of changes are significant. It says that instead of new original productions, they can just show what they've already produced (which will mean more 'reruns' on TCM). They could actually get rid of hosting for Essentials-- and just show the 'Best of Essentials' with Osborne and the previous hosts. Also, getting rid of a PR department means there is nothing to publicize anymore. Doesn't that seem like the channel (as we know it) is starting to fade away...?

I don't post anymore but after reading this thread and the news in regard to the budget cuts that are occurring at TCM I'm filled with questions. None can be answered until Turner Broadcasting announces their plans for the channel but it all makes me terribly sad.

My cable company did not add Turner Classic Movies to their lineup until the fall of 2006. I was not able to view the channel in it's infancy like most of you but, nonetheless, for the past eight years it has been an oasis for me. I truly would be lost without it.

As far as fading away I hope not, TopBilled.  Hopefully some of our questions will be answered during the Classic Cruise this year.

• Like 1

Yeah-- but when I read your comments I couldn't help but think you were taking a cheap shot at others instead of fostering a real dialogue. If people are clicking 'like' on that kind of stuff, you have to wonder what kind of people they are...

My aim, specifically stated, and recognized as futile, considering the number of posts to this spurious thread, is to stifle dialog.  Dialog which is pointless.  Dialog which is distressingly too common on these message boards.  The preoccupation with it makes me think at times that the posters who are filled with dread about the future of TCM actually want what they are afraid of to happen.  Then they could be filled with a sense of justification, and fill all those who didn't share their fears with a terrible burden of guilt that they didn't do more to prevent the catastrophe.  Although what that is I couldn't say.

But maybe I shouldn't give up hope.  I contributed along with a number of other intrepid posters to the eradication, or the great reduction, of the gratuitous hand-wringing over the abandonment by TCM of it's original mission.  At least that source of noise on these boards has been eliminated.  So, ever onward.  That's a great motto, but it needs to be in Latin.  Is there anyone who can translate that?

• Like 3