MovieMadness

It's time for commericals on TCM to save the channel

171 posts in this topic

I think not. Osborne said drawing from other catalogs. when was the last time tcm drew anything from the K. Gordon Murray mexican import "catalog"? not recently I can tell you that. when was the last time tcm aired El Vampiro starring German Robles which was released before Hammer's Dracula in 1958. Has Osborne and tcm programmers even heard of Chubasco-Azteca Studios? ain't my idea of drawing from other catalogs. No sir, it is not. :)

tell me, just why is it so unthinkable that tcm should expand it's rotation with films they haven't shown before? wouldn't new additions re-attract disenchanted viewers? :D

or does that idea make too much sense?

I love tcm.

I would love 'em even more if they would break out some new stuff. :)

I think not. Osborne said drawing from other catalogs. when was the last time tcm drew anything from the K. Gordon Murray mexican import "catalog"? not recently I can tell you that. when was the last time tcm aired El Vampiro starring German Robles which was released before Hammer's Dracula in 1958. Have Osborne and tcm programmers even heard of Chubasco-Azteca Studios? ain't my idea of drawing from other catalogs. No sir, it is not. :)

Those are foreign films.   This is America.  We don't want no foreign films.   Right!   Oh wait I guess that means only euro films. 

Well how about no obscure films.  Yea, that's the ticket.

I think not. Osborne said drawing from other catalogs. when was the last time tcm drew anything from the K. Gordon Murray mexican import "catalog"? not recently I can tell you that. when was the last time tcm aired El Vampiro starring German Robles which was released before Hammer's Dracula in 1958. Have Osborne and tcm programmers even heard of Chubasco-Azteca Studios? ain't my idea of drawing from other catalogs. No sir, it is not. :)

He said "outstanding" catalogs!!!

Can you be specific and define this "niche market"?  (and please don't say 'classic movies' because that isn't specific).

The niche is constant variety of movies. 

I believe the range of eras and genres on TCM is unmatched by any other channel.

I believe the sheer number of movies which TCM airs in unmatched by any other channel. 

I believe the number of repeats on TCM is far lower than any other channel. There is much bemoaning of repeats on TCM but the simple truth is that most movies on premium channels are repeated more in each month than any movie has been ever repeated on TCM within a year. Non-premium channels suffer from greater number of repeats than TCM and have commercial interruptions. 

• Like 1

The niche is constant variety of movies. 

I believe the range of eras and genres on TCM is unmatched by any other channel.

I believe the sheer number of movies which TCM airs in unmatched by any other channel. 

I believe the number of repeats on TCM is far lower than any other channel. There is much bemoaning of repeats on TCM but the simple truth is that most movies on premium channels are repeated more in each month than any movie has been ever repeated on TCM within a year. Non-premium channels suffer from greater number of repeats than TCM and have commercial interruptions. 

Thanks.   What you say about TCM being unmatched rings true to me.   One issue is this 'range of eras';   As time moves forward more films from the prior and current decade does mean less films from the older decades.    But that being said,  no other station still comes close to featuring movies from the studio-era, uncut, without commercials.    Not even close.

So I guess that makes me a TCM apologist.  :D

Thanks.   What you say about TCM being unmatched rings true to me.   One issue is this 'range of eras';   As time moves forward more films from the prior and current decade does mean less films from the older decades.    But that being said,  no other station still comes close to featuring movies from the studio-era, uncut, without commercials.    Not even close.

So I guess that makes me a TCM apologist.  :D

Don't call yourself that. Viewers who enjoy TCM have nothing to apologize for - and neither does TCM.

"Apologist" is nothing more than the more recently and greatly-used troll word being thrown at the board for the purpose of provoking a defensive reaction. That's the entire purpose of trolling - to provoke bad feeling just for the entertainment of a small, mean mind. Or two. As always.

• Like 2

Estudios Churubusco Azteca S.A.

Dicen que soy comunista

1951 Directed by Alejandro Galindo

Synopsis

A worker overwhelmed by the economic crisis and the cost of living is accidentally propaganda of a political party, apparently from left, who convinces him to join their ranks and defending the working class. After entering through a ritual as mysterious as typical, you will realize demagoguery and arrangements existing between union leaders to maintain the status quo unchanged and profit from mafia practices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMtYAMyppkE

Don't call yourself that. Viewers who enjoy TCM have nothing to apologize for - and neither does TCM.

"Apologist" is nothing more than the more recently and greatly-used troll word being thrown at the board for the purpose of provoking a defensive reaction. That's the entire purpose of trolling - to provoke bad feeling just for the entertainment of a small, mean mind. Or two. As always.

I agree with you which is which is why I used that happy face emoticon. 

I think not. Osborne said drawing from other catalogs. when was the last time tcm drew anything from the K. Gordon Murray mexican import "catalog"? not recently I

Phew. I guess you think not.

:D:D:D

It is my understanding that several Turner channels share facilities and staff for activities for which it is impractical for each channel to have their own dedicated operation. It is my guess that TCM losing its dedicated PR staff indicates that all PR duties are being consolidated into a department which will serve several channels simultaneously.

Bingo! That's the reason. I'm afraid if I say more my source may be outed. I also found out that the Festival & Cruise will still be happening.

• Like 1

fxreyman, Mrs. Capuchin

Thank you for your posts.  You have made me feel optimistic as to the outcome of the budget cuts.  Management has to know how much TCM means to all of its fans.  I am now of the hope that whatever cuts Turner Broadcasting chooses to make will help to preserve the channel and not speed up its demise. 

I do not mind the end of original programming if it helps keep the classics on the air commercial free, uncut with Robert Osborne and Ben Mankiewicz as hosts.

What I asked is the concern by the anti-apologist of more and more movies from recent years.    Not SOME moves from recent years but a lot higher percentage of movies from recent years.     

Ok, for the umpteenth time.  Someone, some great soul, I forget who, went to the considerable trouble of cataloguing how many films from what decade were shown on TCM over time, and found that there had be no change in the makeup of the schedule, with the exception of the inclusion of newer movies as time passed.  This has been discussed many times before.  And it has been ignored many times before, just as it is being ignored now.  I am beginning to think that the ones who complain about TCM disgracefully falling away from its pristine, pure, ur-form, into its present adulterated, polluted form, are actually not upset about that, since TCM was never what they say it was.  Their goal is to make TCM into their vision for it--presumably imagining that carping and complaining on these boards will somehow affect programing--showing movies restricted to their narrow interests, moves exclusively of the studio era from the United States.  A vision easily recognizable, if people would take only a few moments to consider, as not workable economically, else why would TCM start out with its cosmopolitan formula?  There are lots of studio-era movies on TCM.  In fact they dominate the schedule.  And they are not all repeats.  And many of the ones that are repeats are not shown often.  So it's nice to see them once in a while.

• Like 3

There are lots of studio-era movies on TCM...And many of the ones that are repeats are not shown often.  So it's nice to see them once in a while.

The station is starting to fall apart and this is the best defense that someone can come up with...?

Oy to the vey.

The station is starting to fall apart and this is the best defense that someone can come up with...?

Oy to the vey.

LOL, the whole world has been falling apart for years.

I still manage to find two or three films a week on TCM that I haven't seen or haven't seen recently.

Sometimes more than that.

:)

LOL, the whole world has been falling apart for years.

I still manage to find two or three films a week on TCM that I haven't seen or haven't seen recently.

Sometimes more than that.

:)

Good Fred. I am glad you are maintaining a positive outlook even though the station is starting to fall apart. :)

Ok, for the umpteenth time.  Someone, some great soul, I forget who, went to the considerable trouble of cataloguing how many films from what decade were shown on TCM over time, and found that there had be no change in the makeup of the schedule, with the exception of the inclusion of newer movies as time passed.

Originally:

Mostly these decades:

1920s

1930s

1940s

1950s

-----------------------------------------

Now:

Some of the above, plus a lot of:

1960s

1970s

1980s

1990s

2000s

2010s

Originally:

Mostly these decades:

1920s

1930s

1940s

1950s

Now:

Some of the above, plus a lot of:

1960s

1970s

1980s

1990s

2000s

2010s

Thanks Fred. Thanks for telling them how it is. Of course, they are going to argue with you about it, defend TCM's latest programming and say you're wrong. 

Ok, for the umpteenth time.  Someone, some great soul, I forget who, went to the considerable trouble of cataloguing how many films from what decade were shown on TCM over time, and found that there had be no change in the makeup of the schedule, with the exception of the inclusion of newer movies as time passed.  This has been discussed many times before.  And it has been ignored many times before, just as it is being ignored now.  I am beginning to think that the ones who complain about TCM disgracefully falling away from its pristine, pure, ur-form, into its present adulterated, polluted form, are actually not upset about that, since TCM was never what they say it was.  Their goal is to make TCM into their vision for it--presumably imagining that carping and complaining on these boards will somehow affect programing--showing movies restricted to their narrow interests, moves exclusively of the studio era from the United States.  A vision easily recognizable, if people would take only a few moments to consider, as not workable economically, else why would TCM start out with its cosmopolitan formula?  There are lots of studio-era movies on TCM.  In fact they dominate the schedule.  And they are not all repeats.  And many of the ones that are repeats are not shown often.  So it's nice to see them once in a while.

So you're saying that TCM isn't showing a higher percentage of post production movies than they were,  say,  5 years ago.   Your correct that the last time someone posted the 'stats' that compared two different time periods,  there was little to no change.   I also assume that there hasn't been much change but of course I could be wrong.    Clearly during Oscar month there are more post production code movies but that has always been the case (but there does appear to be more post 2000 year movies than in prior years).

As for repeats;  I wish I had actual data on that as well.   While I do notice a lot of repeats TCM has a lot less repeat then stations like MOVIES.   A lot less.   But does TCM show MORE repeats now than they did, say 5 years ago.  Again, I don't know.

In the last year or so TCM has shown Fox films, like Laura, that they hadn't shown before.    I hope they keep that up as well as showing more Columbia films (I really wish they would show more Jean Arthur 30s films from that studio). 

My bottom line on this is I'm fine with TCM.  Oh, I have wants but I'm not unhappy with their programming.   But clearly some on this forum are.    Either way,  we can't all get what we want.  

In the last year or so TCM has shown Fox films, like Laura, that they hadn't shown before.    I really wish they would show more Jean Arthur 30s films from (Columbia).

Yes-- but they are showing endless repeats of LAURA. And endless repeats of THE YOUNG LIONS, another Fox picture. We have discussed this problem elsewhere. They are running some of these films into the ground.

Again, and I have said this before, every time they show a post-code film it is one less chance to see a silent, a pre-code or a code film.  If you want Jean Arthur, you now have less chance of seeing her on TCM because she does not appear in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  

• Like 1

I'm fine with TCM for the most part. But I would like to see this guy on the channel. It can't be too pricey to get some of those Mexican films:

thr_brainiac.jpg

Yes-- but they are showing endless repeats of LAURA. And endless repeats of THE YOUNG LIONS, another Fox picture. We have discussed this problem elsewhere. They are running some of these films into the ground.

Again, and I have said this before, every time they show a post-code film it is one less chance to see a silent, a pre-code or a code film.  If you want Jean Arthur, you now have less chance of seeing her on TCM because she does not appear in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  

If you want Jean Arthur, you now have less chance of seeing her on TCM because she does not appear in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Which, like Fame, are outstanding classically classic films. :wacko:

Fame.

...............Fame.

If I may paraphrase you - oy to the gevalt.

If you want Jean Arthur, you now have less chance of seeing her on TCM because she does not appear in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Which, like Fame, are outstanding classically classic films. :wacko:

Fame.

...............Fame.

If I may paraphrase you - oy to the gevalt.

I like it when TCM programs occasional "newer" films, but I think LOTR may be going too far.  It has been on other channels regularly; I've often watched it down in the gym, whilst on the treadmill. And it's also that rare film series -- well-placed commercials are welcome, due to the length, so I haven't minded seeing the films on "commercial" stations.  On the other hand, regarding "newer" films, I was thrilled to see the Whit Stillman films and interview on TCM. Those don't show up elsewhere and are kind of special.

One might think TCM is showing LOTR to bring in that most elusive of commodities, a young audience, in the hopes that they will stay and watch the "classic" films. But in my long professional experience struggling with that mission, I found that the youth who are interested will find you; you don't have to "sell your soul" to recruit them.

• Like 1

I like it when TCM programs occasional "newer" films, but I think LOTR may be going too far.  It has been on other channels regularly; I've often watched it down in the gym, whilst on the treadmill. And it's also that rare film series -- well-placed commercials are welcome, due to the length, so I haven't minded seeing the films on "commercial" stations.  On the other hand, regarding "newer" films, I was thrilled to see the Whit Stillman films and interview on TCM. Those don't show up elsewhere and are kind of special.

One might think TCM is showing LOTR to bring in that most elusive of commodities, a young audience, in the hopes that they will stay and watch the "classic" films. But in my long professional experience struggling with that mission, I found that the youth who are interested will find you; you don't have to "sell your soul" to recruit them.

I found that the youth who are interested will find you; you don't have to "sell your soul" to recruit them.

Amen, Swithin. Well said.

Those are foreign films.   This is America.  We don't want no foreign films.   Right!   Oh wait I guess that means only euro films. 

Well how about no obscure films.  Yea, that's the ticket.

Has not tcm aired the spanish version of Dracula shot at the same time and on the same sets as the Tod Browning classic?...

that's a foreign film. :lol:

and there is this...

the mexican K. Gordon Murray horror fodder are interesting with their papier-mache monsters, gaudy fanged vampires and atmospheric gothic sets while euro relationship films are not. :)

Thanks Fred. Thanks for telling them how it is. Of course, they are going to argue with you about it, defend TCM's latest programming and say you're wrong. 

You know what? You are correct in one aspect to your response to Fred.....

I AM going to write that he is wrong with his logic here. He is right about the years listed, but he should have written this:

Originally:

Mostly these decades:

1920s

1930s

1940s

1950s

Now:

MOST of the above, plus SOME of the following:

1960s

1970s

1980s

1990s

2000s

2010s

When someone like Fred writes that the channel is showing a lot of post 1960 films and some pre-1960 films, then someone has to point out the error in his logic. And I don't have to be an apologist here to write that his logic is incorrect. And this is simply born out of looking at the monthly schedules and seeing just how many post-1960 films ARE on the schedule as opposed to pre-1960 films.

And as James has pointed out many times, he and several others who post on the boards would like to see more pre-1968 films on the schedule and less post-1968 films. As you would too I am assuming.

Nothing wrong with that.

But then here is the ultimate issue. TCM considers movies from ALL eras to be worthy of inclusion on the schedules each month. The ONLY reason this debate continues is that we have the same posters who come on the message boards on similar threads discussing the "end of TCM" as we know it, simply due to the fact that there are supposedly more repeats, or more recent films being shown.

I just don't get it. Is the purpose to write this stuff simply to offer a counter argument as opposed to actually performing some basic research and really devling into what you think the problem really is or is it simply "for the purpose of provoking a defensive reaction."? As DarkBlue wrote earlier in this thread?

Because as always I have to say that unless you are willing to actually go back and perform BASIC research about these topics and then present the results of your work in a reasonable, logical conclusion, then writing what Fred wrote is utterly without merit.