Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

That's a nice car!

307 posts in this topic

So there you are, blithely watching something--a movie, or TV show, or something, all unsuspecting, and someone drives up, and gets out, and--wait a minute. . . .you can't help saying to yourself:  That's a nice car!:

ac42my.3228.jpg

or:

120262d1242002201-emma-peels-lotus-elan-

So there you are, blithely watching something--a movie, or TV show, or something, all unsuspecting, and someone drives up, and gets out, and--wait a minute. . . .you can't help saying to yourself:  That's a nice car!:

ac42my.3228.jpg

or:

that looks like Mrs. Peel in the bottom pic. :)

that looks like Mrs. Peel in the bottom pic. :)

It is 1966 Lotus Elan S3 Type 45 as used in The Avengers television series.

Are you aware of the Internet Movie Cars DataBase? You need merely type into the search box the name of a movie and it will provide a list of many of the automobiles used in the movie.

http://www.imcdb.org/search.php

I think you let us know this a long time ago, Mrs. C., and I TOTALLY forgot! Thank you, thank you.

I was driving Mr. primos, a car nut, nuts about the car in Hot Saturday. As I described it, he knew it was a dual cowl phaeton, but now I know and call tell him - 1931 Lincoln Model K Dual Cowl Phaeton! You could have had one for only $159K in 2006:

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=52168

you know, several years ago they found this bugatti sittin' in a garage completely forgotten. the only remaining type of it's kind still in existence...

well sir, years ago when I was a-gettin' scale miniatures of famous cars from the franklin mint, I doan know why but I ordered the franklin mint's precision reproduction of that selfsame bugatti so I have that car in miniature scale form. :D

can't remember the precise name and model of that bugatti...but I have 'er! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Type_57S_Atalante_%2857502%29

One of the big reasons I enjoy classic movies of the 20's through late 40's is watching the many amazing automobiles and interesting trucks of yesteryear.  So many were such beautiful works of art and style especially in the 30's.  I also love watching more recent movies set in yesteryear just to watch the incredible autos.  It's a guy thing. 

• Like 1

I think you let us know this a long time ago, Mrs. C., and I TOTALLY forgot! 

We have two bookmarks for it. One is in folder of search engines and other is in folder for movie information. We do not use it often but it is wonderful to have when we need it.

...but I like it too!

;)

Same here, Mrs. Capuchin. When I first saw this movie, I couldn't decide which I liked better, the car or the gorgeous dolman sleeved satin gown Constance Bennett was wearing.

Naturally, Cary Grant was more gorgeous than both!* ;)

*But, not as gorgeous as my Warren William. :wub:

One of the big reasons I enjoy classic movies of the 20's through late 40's is watching the many amazing automobiles and interesting trucks of yesteryear.  So many were such beautiful works of art and style especially in the 30's.  I also love watching more recent movies set in yesteryear just to watch the incredible autos.  It's a guy thing.

Not. I have had numerous "classic" cars in my lifetime. All of them Mopars. I love antique cars and have attended several car shows and even entered my 1972 Dodge Dart Custom in a show.

Today's cars? Bah! No style. No personality. No chrome.

• Like 2

Not. I have had numerous "classic" cars in my lifetime. All of them Mopars. I love antique cars and have attended several car shows and even entered my 1972 Dodge Dart Custom in a show.

Today's cars? Bah! No style. No personality. No chrome.

of course not. they all be uni-body wedge-shapen. :)

you know, several years ago they found this bugatti sittin' in a garage completely forgotten. the only remaining type of it's kind still in existence...

well sir, years ago when I was a-gettin' scale miniatures of famous cars from the franklin mint, I doan know why but I ordered the franklin mint's precision reproduction of that selfsame bugatti so I have that car in miniature scale form. :D

can't remember the precise name and model of that bugatti...but I have 'er! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Type_57S_Atalante_%2857502%29

Gasp!. . . .a B-b-b-ugatti?

1926-bugatti-type-39-35b-blue-svlmx.jpg

A beautiful car, but have I seen one in a movie?

Gasp!. . . .a B-b-b-ugatti?

1926-bugatti-type-39-35b-blue-svlmx.jpg

A beautiful car, but have I seen one in a movie?

I WANT THAT GORGEOUS GREEN MERCEDES GULLWING IN THE BACKGROUND!!!!!!!!!!!  PANT!!  PANT!!  GASP!!!!!

I WANT THAT GORGEOUS GREEN MERCEDES GULLWING IN THE BACKGROUND!!!!!!!!!!!  PANT!!  PANT!!  GASP!!!!!

I've never been all that much into the classics from the '30s era. Nope, but show me a movie filmed in the 1950s and early 60s and which presents racing/sports cars from that era such as THE RACERS(1955) with Kirk Douglas, THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS(1955) with John Ireland and Dorothy Malone, VIVA LAS VEGAS(1964) with Elvis and Ann-Margret, and THE LIVELY SET(1964) with James Darren and Pamela Tiffin, and THAT'LL get my motor revvin' alright, and probably because it was during THAT era when race/sports cars possessed such beautifully sculpted bodywork.

And thus the reason your comment about that Mercedes SL300 Gullwing inspired me to post these thoughts of mine.

(...AND thus the reason a 1955 Porsche 550 mid-engine Spyder(aka: James Dean's "death car") Beck replica sits in my garage today)

• Like 1

I've never been all that much into the classics from the '30s era. Nope, but show me a movie filmed in the 1950s and early 60s and which presents racing/sports cars from that era such as THE RACERS(1955) with Kirk Douglas, THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS(1955) with John Ireland and Dorothy Malone, VIVA LAS VEGAS(1964) with Elvis and Ann-Margret, and THE LIVELY SET(1964) with James Darren and Pamela Tiffin, and THAT'LL get my motor revvin' alright, and probably because it was during THAT era when race/sports cars possessed such beautifully sculpted bodywork.

And thus the reason your comment about that Mercedes SL300 Gullwing inspired me to post these thoughts of mine.

(...AND thus the reason a 1955 Porsche 550 mid-engine Spyder(aka: James Dean's "death car") Beck replica sits in my garage today)

OH! MY! GOD!!!  I worship your garage!!  So so so cool to own that replica!!

OH! MY! GOD!!!  I worship your garage!!  So so so cool to own that replica!!

Thanks, rr. Yeah, it's a good lookin' little baby, alright. Can't park it anywhere where someone who happens by doesn't whip out their cellphones and ask me if they can take a picture of it. REALLY fun up in the mountain roads around here especially. 1300lb total weight and 150bhp make for a lot of fun, ya know. ;)

Are you aware of the Internet Movie Cars DataBase? You need merely type into the search box the name of a movie and it will provide a list of many of the automobiles used in the movie.

Thanks for the information.  I have always been curious as to why Chrysler had so many cars in movies and TV shows of the 50's and 60's.  One of my favorite movies is Bob Hope's Bachelor in Paradise.  Not only is it a good movie, but also features a lot of Chrylser Corp. vehicles.

Beautiful car, but terribly impractical.  A real pain in the butt to get in and out of if you could find a parking space.

Some people could pick that thing up and run away with it.  :lol:

Thanks, rr. Yeah, it's a good lookin' little baby, alright. Can't park it anywhere where someone who happens by doesn't whip out their cellphones and ask me if they can take a picture of it. REALLY fun up in the mountain roads around here especially. 1300lb total weight and 150bhp make for a lot of fun, ya know. ;)

So. . . .post a picture of it.

So. . . .post a picture of it.

I'll be out of town(a British motorcycle rally in L.A.) all this weekend, but when I get back next week I'll do this for ya. slayton. 

I'll be out of town(a British motorcycle rally in L.A.) all this weekend, but when I get back next week I'll do this for ya. slayton. 

tx.