Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

That's a nice car!

301 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, TheCid said:

Ford did have the Skyliner hardtop convertible in 57 and 58, but that is another story.

I remember those.  An uncle of mine had one.  It was kinda cool.  Loved watching that hard top fold into where the trunk was supposed to be. :) 

We also had a '58 Merc like discussed here.  It was all pink.  My buddy always called it "The pink mule". :D  Damned thing had to be parked in the garage with the front bumper touching the back wall just to be able to close the garage door.  Barely.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I remember those.  An uncle of mine had one.  It was kinda cool.  Loved watching that hard top fold into where the trunk was supposed to be. :) 

We also had a '58 Merc like discussed here.  It was all pink.  My buddy always called it "The pink mule". :D  Damned thing had to be parked in the garage with the front bumper touching the back wall just to be able to close the garage door.  Barely.

Sepiatone

Only learned this in the last few years, but the Buick Electra 225 from 70's was called the 225 because it was 225 inches long - a garage full.

• Like 1

I know it isn't from the movies, but, gosh, it's such a nice car!  And I've never heard of it before.  It's a-----but first, I'll tell you where I saw it.  There's a series some generous soul it good enough to upload regularly to YT which I like about as much as anything that's not a movie.  It's called Antiques Road Trip, not to be confused with the more venerable and known Roadshow.  In it, two antiques experts set off across different parts of the British countryside to find items to purchase and then sell later at auctions.  The one who gets the most money wins.  It's all cheery, energetic, and bouncy, and a lot of fun.  Different pairs of experts set off in different classic autos, usually British, Triumph, MG, Jaguar.  But for the segment that's being uploaded now, they're driving a 1968 TVR Tuscan.  And its a beauty!  Lookit:

tuscan_03.jpg

Sounds a bit like the British program "Wheeler Dealers" here, slayton.

Loved that show which was shown on the Velocity channel here in the States. Perhaps you're familiar with that one too.

And if you are, then you've probably heard that Edd China, the knowledgeable and likable mechanic who did all the grunt work on the show, has left it. Evidently the U.S.-based Velocity channel purchased the show and then claimed Edd's sequences, which were pretty much the heart of the show, "cost too much to produce" and wanted to lessen his involvement in it, and thus causing this turn of events.

(...you should see some of the comments in Edd's YouTube clip announcing his departure...many of 'em saying "Damn Americans. They always screw up everything they touch!"...and heck, in THIS case anyway, how can you argue against THAT, huh...LOL) 

Never heard of the Velocity channel or the show.

Too bad.  Sounds like a great program. :(

Sepiatone

11 hours ago, Dargo said:

Loved that show which was shown on the Velocity channel here in the States. Perhaps you're familiar with that one too.

And if you are, then you've probably heard that Edd China, the knowledgeable and likable mechanic who did all the grunt work on the show, has left it. Evidently the U.S.-based Velocity channel purchased the show and then claimed Edd's sequences, which were pretty much the heart of the show, "cost too much to produce" and wanted to lessen his involvement in it, and thus causing this turn of events.

(...you should see some of the comments in Edd's YouTube clip announcing his departure...many of 'em saying "Damn Americans. They always screw up everything they touch!"...and heck, in THIS case anyway, how can you argue against THAT, huh...LOL) 

Velocity has some interesting shows if you are into classic cars and similar.  However, they are few and far between.  Most shows are about people arguing over how to make a car more powerful or IMO trashy looking.  Not worth watching if you actually like cars.  Chasing Classic Cars, Wheeler Dealers, What's My Car Worth and a couple of more are more informative about cars.  Wheeler Dealers moved to US one season, but I think they are back in UK now.

On February 19, 2018 at 7:02 PM, Dargo said:

Hey, Dargo, seems I completely overlooked replying to you about Antiques Road Trip!  No, it's not about cars.  It's about antiques, jewelry, porcelain, furniture, etc.  They just use classic cars to get about in.  Frinstance, in one show they had:

5850304520_d39e6b22d8_z.jpg

A 1950 Standard Vanguard Pick-Up.  And:

5269605.jpg

A 1999 HMC Healey MKIV, which they changed to from the pick-up due to its breaking down.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Hey, Dargo, seems I completely overlooked replying to you about Antiques Road Trip!  No, it's not about cars.  It's about antiques, jewelry, porcelain, furniture, etc.  They just use classic cars to get about in.  Frinstance, in one show they had:

5850304520_d39e6b22d8_z.jpg

A 1950 Standard Vanguard Pick-Up.  And:

5269605.jpg

A 1999 HMC Healey MKIV, which they changed to from the pick-up due to its breaking down.

Thanks for this bit of information here, slayton!

Must admit first that I didn't know the now little remembered(especially on this side of the pond) Standard Motor Company of Coventry England ever made any sort of pickup style vehicle. And secondly, I also didn't know that the Austin-Healey 3000(one of my all-time favorite cars) had for a while been resurrected in the U.K. using a fiberglass body and with a Rover V-8 engine under the hood..err, "bonnet" I suppose.

I had known that for a while there had been an American Company, located I believe in Florida, that produced something similar to it called the "Sebring" and powered by(I believe) a small-block Chevy V-8.

(...and so once again, thanks for enlightening this Gearhead to previously unknown bits of automotive history) 

Not about cars, but might be of interest to some.  The manufacturer for one of the vehicles I own reached out to get my opinion/input (big mistake, ha) on car subscription services.  Never heard of them before, but apparently manufacturers are now offering them in selected areas.

Lots of info on internet if interested, but basically you "rent" cars for long periods of time.  Pay a flat monthly fee and company handles maintenance, insurance, etc.  You can "trade in" the car anytime for another model. Apparently limited to previously owned vehicles for the most part.

It is supposed to appeal to millennials who do want to have a car, but do not like the headaches of negotiating, financing, paying for maintenance, etc.  Apparently the car companies have discovered that contrary to popular opinion, millennials do want to "own" vehicles and not be totally dependent on Uber, public transportation, etc.

19 hours ago, Dargo said:

(...and so once again, thanks for enlightening this Gearhead to previously unknown bits of automotive history) 

Aw, you only need to be extremely grateful.

(hm.  Sebring. . . .Sebring. . . .that name. . . .)

• Haha 1

That's a nice Carl.... ???

Whoops, sorry... wrong thread. 
For a moment I thought that this was a memoriam thread to
Carl Grimes. :unsure:

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

That's a nice Carl.... ???

Whoops, sorry... wrong thread. 
For a moment I thought that this was a memoriam thread to
Carl Grimes. :unsure:

You kidder!  

• Haha 1

Jaguar Mk VII in Up To His Ears (1965):

i011028.jpg

Ah, but look what happens to it:

jaguarmkvii8jc3.9690.jpg

Why, why, do filmmakers always feel compelled to destroy nice cars in fiery plunges?

• Like 1

Too bad none of those JPG's are showing up( at least not on MY PC), I'd LOVE to see them!  ;)

Sepiatone

6 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Identify this one

DSCN7594.JPG

That be a 1941 Cadillac Series 61 Deluxe 2 Door Sedanette, there CJ.

(...and I can put you in this baby for just 20 bucks down and 20 bucks a month...IF you have good credit of course) ;)

18 hours ago, Dargo said:

That be a 1941 Cadillac Series 61 Deluxe 2 Door Sedanette, there CJ.

(...and I can put you in this baby for just 20 bucks down and 20 bucks a month...IF you have good credit of course) ;)

Thanks, Dargo.

Sort of car related and Dargo would for sure (being from Southern Cal) remember Ed "Big Daddy" Roth?  I remember the plastic models from the 5 and 10 cents stores of his figurines.

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Sort of car related and Dargo would for sure (being from Southern Cal) remember Ed "Big Daddy" Roth?  I remember the plastic models from the 5 and 10 cents stores of his figurines.

In high school I had a model of the Munster Koach from the TV series.  Designed by George Barris.  At that time slot car racing was very popular and I had a Cobra slot car.  I took the Cobra body off and mounted the Munster Koach to the chassis.  It would go around the track, but sure wouldn't beat anything.  I had one of the Roth figures in the elevated seat on the back of the Koach.

Oh, yeah!  I too, remember "Big Daddy" Roth and his "Rat Fink" and "Weirdo" drawings.  I often was able to replicate them.  But mostly on paper, as drawing them on old T-shirts was difficult due to my not having any airbrushes.  ;)

Sepiatone

9 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Oh yeah, CJ. Roth was a legend among the Hot Rod crowd of the 1960s, and especially in SoCal during that time. And yeah, I had one of his plastic Rat Fink characters sitting on my nightstand as a teenager.

I also remember putting together this very model of his "Beatnik Bandit" hot rod too...

Ed_Roth_Beatnik_Bandit_kit.jpg 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2014 at 4:28 PM, Dargo said:

Thanks, rr. Yeah, it's a good lookin' little baby, alright. Can't park it anywhere where someone who happens by doesn't whip out their cellphones and ask me if they can take a picture of it. REALLY fun up in the mountain roads around here especially. 1300lb total weight and 150bhp make for a lot of fun, ya know. ;)

You've got quite an eye for a fine car.

• Thanks 1

Whatever the uncertain worth of Le Douxième Souffle (1966), there's no doubt about the 1966 Dodge Dart in it:

i023796.jpg