Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

That's a nice car!

311 posts in this topic

Dargo wrote: 

(...AND thus the reason a 1955 Porsche 550 mid-engine Spyder(aka: James Dean's "death car") Beck replica sits in my garage today)

So. . . .post a picture of it.

Here's those pics of my 550 Spyder I promised ya, slayton...and roverrocks...

utfEY0b.jpg

JBmNA8Y.jpg

• Like 3

Now, that's a nice car!

In my opinion, this thread has the most boring, uncreative, uninspiring title of all time and now you just repeated it. 

In my opinion, this thread has the most boring, uncreative, uninspiring title of all time and now you just repeated it. 

Here just for you.  A less complicated mode of transportation and one which should be much much less complicated for your bored uncreative mind.  Enjoy in good health and inspiration!!!!

K_2015_023_Cmb.jpg

• Like 2

So, in other words, kind'a like half the voluminous number of threads YOU start around here, TB?!

Geeeee, SO sorry if you found what I just said either "rude" or a "harassment" in any manner at all, knowing as we all pretty much do how you always like to keep most of the threads around here within your own personal little "comfort zone".

(...but let us consider here, IF YOU WOULD, that while YOU might find the subject of automobiles and/or the title of this thread "boring and uncreative", let us REMEMBER here that SOME of the talk in this thread HAS BEEN about cars featured in movies and television, and so I'll bet I'M not the only one here thinks slaytonf's thread just MIGHT have "deserved" being posted at THIS website regardless its title OR subject matter, OKAY?!)

• Like 1

So, in other words, kind'a like half the voluminous number of threads YOU start around here, TB?!

My threads are always creative and thought-provoking. I really do dislike the title of this thread. It's like saying 'nice movie' or 'nice cable channel.' It lacks pizzazz.

We have to keep these message boards hopping with content that invites people back. The initial lure is the thread title. It shouldn't make people sleepy...it should make them sit up at their screen and say what is TopBilled up to today? Did he find his thumbs-down clip art yet...? That sort of thing. :)

My threads are always creative and thought-provoking. I really do dislike the title of this thread. It's like saying 'nice movie' or 'nice cable channel.' It lacks pizzazz.

We have to keep these message boards hopping with content that invites people back. The initial lure is the thread title. It shouldn't make people sleepy...it should make them sit up at their screen and say what is TopBilled up to today? Did he find his thumbs-down clip art yet...? That sort of thing. :)

Well, okay then! NOW I see what you're..ahem.."drivin' at" here!

And so, I'm thinkin' slaytonf should've titled this baby somethin' more like...

"It Happened On This Day In the Motoring World"

...or maybe...

"ME-TV Is Taking Viewers Away From The Velocity Channel"

...RIGHT?!

(...ya know, maybe you were right here AFTER ALL!!!) LOL

;)

• Like 1

Well, okay then! NOW I see what you're..ahem.."drivin' at" here!

And so, I'm thinkin' slaytonf should've titled this baby somethin' more like...

"It Happened On This Day In the Motoring World"

...or maybe...

"ME-TV Is Taking Viewers Away From The Velocity Channel"

...RIGHT?!

(...ya know, maybe you were right here AFTER ALL!!!) LOL

;)

You know Me-TV should do a special about cars on CHiPs, now that would be fun! 

You know Me-TV should do a special about cars on CHiPs, now that would be fun! 

Once again I must admit (though of course my previous post to you was meant more in a sardonic fashion than in signifying total "approval") you might be right here. This isn't a bad idea at all.

(...or maybe the cars featured in "Adam-12" or on "Route 66" too, eh?!)

I came back to this thread especially to see Dargo's hot car. It's a good topic and I must say the Spider driver is no slouch either.

I came back to this thread especially to see Dargo's hot car. It's a good topic and I must say the Spider driver is no slouch either.

Thanks, Janet!

(...though I gotta admit I DO have a tendency to "slouch" just a bit when I get that baby at higher speeds) ;)

Once again I must admit (though of course my previous post to you was meant more in a sardonic fashion than in signifying total "approval") you might be right here. 

Well, I don't think I need your approval (total or otherwise) on anything, you know what I mean, good buddy? :)

I was surprised at your remark...usually you're not condescending but rather fun-loving. Perhaps you and I are changing roles today? LOL

• Like 1

Sooo. . . . .Anybody see a nice car in a movie?:

1948 Packard Super Eight, from the very wonderful Impact. I surely hope that was a toy car they threw off the cliff when it hit the fuel truck!

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1948-PACKARD-SUPER-8-VICTORIA-2-DOOR-CONVERTIBLE-96091

This and many others, including the Bekin truck, can be seen on this great site:

http://www.imcdb.org/movie_41503-Impact.html

Any idea why I keep getting this stupid message, since the photos are VERY small?

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

Here's those pics of my 550 Spyder I promised ya, slayton...and roverrocks...

utfEY0b.jpg

JBmNA8Y.jpg

The closest I'VE come to owning a car like that was the AMT kit I had when I was 12

But if we're talking about nice cars in movies, there's too many for me to settle on just ONE.  And I don't even know what MAKES many of them are, so I'll just mention the movies....

That hot mover and shaker Barry Newman drives to death in VANISHING POINT

And that BIG number Cary Grant crashes up in TOPPER! (What WAS that car, anyway?)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

The closest I'VE come to owning a car like that was the AMT kit I had when I was 12

But if we're talking about nice cars in movies, there's too many for me to settle on just ONE.  And I don't even know what MAKES many of them are, so I'll just mention the movies....

That hot mover and shaker Barry Newman drives to death in VANISHING POINT

And that BIG number Cary Grant crashes up in TOPPER! (What WAS that car, anyway?)

Sepiatone

Re the Topper car, according to the IMDb website:

The fancy finned-back car driven by the Kerbys was custom built by the Bohman & Schwartz Co. using a 1936 Buick Roadmaster chassis. Originally the producers had in mind to use a coffin-nosed Cord, but it wasn't large enough. In the custom-made Buick there were special compartments for camera equipment, etc. The Buick resembles a Cord, but the supercharger pipes on the side were just decorations (a Cord comes with an actual supercharger). After filming the Buick was bought by the Gilmore Oil Co. and was used for promotional purposes for many years. It was updated in 1954 with a Chrysler Imperial chassis and drive train. The car driven by Cosmo Topper is a 1936 Lincoln Model K.

And yeah Sepia, Barry Newman's 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T is also a very memorable piece of movie automotive history. And here's a little trivia about that in the IMDb website:

Director Richard Sarafian states on the commentary, that eight '70 Dodge Challenger R/T's were actually utilized during production and when filming had wrapped, only one Challenger R/T remained.

(...bulldozers, I would guess, being the primary "culprit" in the demise of most of them) 

• Like 1

And yeah Sepia, Barry Newman's 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T is also a very memorable piece of movie automotive history. And here's a little trivia about that in the IMDb website:

Director Richard Sarafian states on the commentary, that eight '70 Dodge Challenger R/T's were actually utilized during production and when filming had wrapped, only one Challenger R/T remained.

(...bulldozers, I would guess, being the primary "culprit" in the demise of most of them) 

I had a 1971 Dodge Challenger, second worst car I ever owned.  Beautiful to look at, but engineering and quality control were terrible.  Friend had a '70 Baracuda, which was also pretty bad.  We both ended up dumping them for GM products.

Worst was an '84 Saab 900 Turbo for those that might wonder.

Dargo, as any MoPar fan is pleased to say the car that is crashed into the bulldozer at the end of Vanishing Point was actually a first gen 67-69 Camaro. Its true and you can plainly see by slow mo freeze framing the scene.

• Like 1

Cid, you would definitely like the car used in the last Martin and Lewis film, HOLLYWOOD OR BUST.  A brand new red 56 Chrysler New Yorker conv.

• Like 1

1948 Packard Super Eight, from the very wonderful Impact. I surely hope that was a toy car they threw off the cliff when it hit the fuel truck!

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1948-PACKARD-SUPER-8-VICTORIA-2-DOOR-CONVERTIBLE-96091

This and many others, including the Bekin truck, can be seen on this great site:

http://www.imcdb.org/movie_41503-Impact.html

Any idea why I keep getting this stupid message, since the photos are VERY small?

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

Is this what you were trying for?:

96091_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Yeah, that's a nice car.

Dargo, as any MoPar fan is pleased to say the car that is crashed into the bulldozer at the end of Vanishing Point was actually a first gen 67-69 Camaro. Its true and you can plainly see by slow mo freeze framing the scene.

Mr.R, to see if you or all these MoPar fans are correct about this, I've just done what you advised via YouTube and watched the ending scene of this film and freeze-framed it at the 1:53 mark of this video and just as the car is about to collide into those bulldozer blades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re8U_on4Gn4

And sorry, but  I have to say that the car depicted is definitely NOT a Camaro of any vintage, and actually looks to be one of those nine white 1970 Dodge Challengers which were reported by the director to have been used during the filming.

(...another urban legend, perhaps?!)

Wasn't there a movie starring Glenn Ford in which he played some sort of military officer that won a car in some sweepstakes, and the producers used the BOBBY DARIN DREAM CAR, the one featured on the cans of GLASS WAX for years?

Sepiatone