slaytonf

That's a nice car!

510 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2019 at 8:33 PM, cigarjoe said:

mrs cigarjoe and her LBC

JN489sF.jpg

Wow-don't know what's prettiest-the car, the mountains or the gal! Woot!

Cinema's Best car is Harold's Jag-Hearse:

harold-and-maude-jaguar-xke-hearse.jpg?w

I realized watching this movie yet again, this car would be a super easy one to craft-you just extend the back bumper an extra foot and attach the back sheet metal "box" roof and window.

MrTiki has been looking at old Jags of this vintage. If he finds one I'll betcha we have it made into one of these.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 8:33 PM, cigarjoe said:

mrs cigarjoe and her LBC

JN489sF.jpg

h5WH5vt.jpg

76 Spitfire¬†ūüėé

What's an LBC?  I remember one of the TV ads for the Spitfire.  Had the car and a beautiful woman in front of a Spitfie fighter.  Don't remember the tag line exactly, but something to the effect that you not only get the car and the girl, but a piece of history as well.   Don Draper probably wrote it.

Anyway, both are exceptionally nice.

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Wow-don't know what's prettiest-the car, the mountains or the gal! Woot!

Cinema's Best car is Harold's Jag-Hearse:

harold-and-maude-jaguar-xke-hearse.jpg?w

I realized watching this movie yet again, this car would be a super easy one to craft-you just extend the back bumper an extra foot and attach the back sheet metal "box" roof and window.

MrTiki has been looking at old Jags of this vintage. If he finds one I'll betcha we have it made into one of these.

Seems you like "sports wagons", eh Tiki? 

Then I'll bet you also liked the Volvo P1800 ES here too, right?...

1973-volvo-p1800-es-sports-wagon.jpg

(...I always thought it one of the better done takes on the concept)

4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Then I'll bet you also liked the Volvo P1800 ES here too, right?

Oh yes yes yes! Swedish Academic Mobile. 

1 minute ago, cigarjoe said:

Little British Car

When I got my first sports car (1978?), I was looking at Alfa Romeo (very, very undependable), MGB, TR7 and Fiat 124 Spider.  Went with the Fiat and it was fairly reliable for the few years I had it.  Worked with a guy who had MG's and liked them.

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

1973-volvo-p1800-es-sports-wagon.jpg

Oooo. . . .fins. . .thas nice!

Sadly, according to IMCDB, one had never been in a movie.

20 hours ago, TheCid said:

Went with the Fiat and it was fairly reliable for the few years I had it.  Worked with a guy who had MG's and liked them.

My bf bought me a purple Fiat (to match my hair) for my first car. I never learned to drive that stick so it ended up his car anyway. I've only spoken to him ONCE in 40 years and the car was the main topic of conversation-he has a restored one now, most likely not purple.

My Dad had a teeny MG convertible for awhile, we called it "The Green Bug" I loved it but it rode like a tin can. 

I'm going to show Mr Tiki that Volvo and suggest we buy one of those, tart it up with subtle hints of hearse elements and use it as our "touring" car, for the 2 big dogs to ride in the back coffin area. Way more practical than going the authentic Jag Hearse route. (although the thought of having a 12 cyl engine Jag appeals to me)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I'm going to show Mr Tiki that Volvo and suggest we buy one of those, tart it up with subtle hints of hearse elements and use it as our "touring" car, for the 2 big dogs to ride in the back coffin area. Way more practical than going the authentic Jag Hearse route. (although the thought of having a 12 cyl engine Jag appeals to me)

My attempt to learn whether a photograph of a hearse towing a wood chipper was a simple photograph or was a still from a movie led me into the realm of used funerary automobiles. 

I found that Volvo is a very respected brand¬†for hearses in UK and Japan. I learned also that the price for a used one is considerably¬†less than it is for an unconverted model.¬†This dealer¬†has at this moment a 2007 and two¬†2008¬†for less than ‚ā¨3000 each. They are all low mileage with no apparent accident damage.

I found in my searching also that one chap purchased a similar one and modified the large windows with press-on rubber strips to make them look as if they are three normal-sized windows. He had made also custom badges identifying the vehicle as "Estate Wagon".  

7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

My bf bought me a purple Fiat (to match my hair) for my first car. I never learned to drive that stick so it ended up his car anyway. I've only spoken to him ONCE in 40 years and the car was the main topic of conversation-he has a restored one now, most likely not purple.

My Dad had a teeny MG convertible for awhile, we called it "The Green Bug" I loved it but it rode like a tin can. 

It was probably an MG Midget - very small.

• Thanks 1