Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

That's a nice car!

301 posts in this topic

LOL

Great story.

Yep, that's sort of the same phenomenon as how a large number of Harley riders now days will trailer their bike to that big Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota. 

Now that's just sad. In the future, they'll probably just tweet pictures of their favorite bikes (gathered from old, online Harley brochures) to a server in Sturgis. Of course, ther'll be an online store for T-shirts emblazened with custom graphics to suit. The phrase "Take a trip and never leave the farm" will be resurrected in an enormous, billion dollar ad campaign.

Now, what's to become of all those superfluous SUVs and pick-ups...?

I wouldn't say the 1950s - 1960s were great decades for autos and trucks, style-wise, in GB. I prefer the 1930s and 1940s. This delivery truck from Jigsaw (1962)  -  shown here on TCM last evening  - caught my eye with its vertical grille, which is similar to those of earlier American vehicles.

1951 Thames 5cwt Van [E494C]

EtMeiDp.jpg

• Like 1

Thought this was a Cord, but IMCDB sez it's a Lincoln Zephyr Continental (56):

2r4smqt.png

Yep slayton, definitely a Lincoln Continental.

No Cord 810/812 model, aka "Coffin Nose" model(and the model I believe you might have confused this Lincoln with) ever sported those rear fender skirts like that...

36_Cord_810-DV-09_GC_a02.jpg

Speaking of the Cord 810/812 models, as you may know slayton, many believe the Cord design greatly influenced that of the 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado, as both shared front-wheel drive, combined with the front end featuring hidden headlights and the big slotted wheels...

1966-Oldsmobile-Toronado-Jay-Leno-FA-102

(...I remember well in the summer of 1965 when this then 13 y/o caught sight of the cover of the latest edition of Motor Trend magazine on the news racks and which on its cover featured the soon to come new Olds Toronado, and remember thinking how different and advanced this car looked)

• Like 1

I don't have a deep knowledge of automobiles, Dargo.  There are just some designs I see that are elegant, or sleek, or stunning, and I try to find out what they are.  That's why I periodically resurrect this thread.  You know, now that I look at my post, I didn't identify the movie the car is from.  It's The Dark Corner (1946).  It's the car Stouffer uses to make Cathcart think he was trying to run him over.  It's no Cord, but it's still a nice car!

I just saw this sweet ride at the end of Naked Lunch (1991). 

i394110.jpg

The IMCDb site says it's a Bombardier B-12. It would be great for taking the kids to soccer practice.

Sorry slayton. I guess my Gearhead-ism and the enthusiasm it creates within me for all things automotive and motorcycle related is sometimes a little difficult for me to contain.

;)

I just saw this sweet ride at the end of Naked Lunch (1991). 

i394110.jpg

The IMCDb site says it's a Bombardier B-12. It would be great for taking the kids to soccer practice.

Hmmm...ya know Lawrence, I just saw something recently on TCM I think(maybe on one of those Fitzpatrick "Travel Talks" shorts) showing a fleet of these very vehicles being used to transport tourists visiting one of Canada's National Parks during the winter months and what seemed like the immediate port-WWII era.

Hmmm...ya know Lawrence, I just saw something recently on TCM I think(maybe on one of those Fitzpatrick "Travel Talks" shorts) showing a fleet of these very vehicles being used to transport tourists visiting one of Canada's National Parks during the winter months and what seemed like the immediate port-WWII era.

It think that's in Canada's Jasper National Park, on the famous former ice fields.  I say former because they're largely melted now.  Here's a pic of the tractors they used in the past:

30315749-alberta-canada-july-27-historic

• Like 1

Rich and poor people's cars

Rich..

"Gone in 60 Seconds" (2000)

1964 Bentley Continental...

28kkk8h.jpg

..and a 1999 Bentley Azure

otdufo.jpg

The poor..

"Madeline" (1998)

1958 Citroen 2CV A2L 

i582405.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-03-22-09h47m17s130.jpg

• Like 1

It think that's in Canada's Jasper National Park, on the famous former ice fields.  I say former because they're largely melted now.  Here's a pic of the tractors they used in the past:

30315749-alberta-canada-july-27-historic

Yeah, THAT'S the one I watched alright, slayton...Jasper N.P.

(...thanks)

Not. I have had numerous "classic" cars in my lifetime. All of them Mopars. I love antique cars and have attended several car shows and even entered my 1972 Dodge Dart Custom in a show.

Today's cars? Bah! No style. No personality. No chrome.

Good for you Janet ... I'm another lifelong Mopar lover.  I've had many and still have my first car - 70 Road Runner.  It's in dire need of attention though ... one day it will get it!

Mr.R, to see if you or all these MoPar fans are correct about this, I've just done what you advised via YouTube and watched the ending scene of this film and freeze-framed it at the 1:53 mark of this video and just as the car is about to collide into those bulldozer blades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re8U_on4Gn4

And sorry, but  I have to say that the car depicted is definitely NOT a Camaro of any vintage, and actually looks to be one of those nine white 1970 Dodge Challengers which were reported by the director to have been used during the filming.

(...another urban legend, perhaps?!)

It's definitively a camaro as stated previously

Speaking of the Cord 810/812 models, as you may know slayton, many believe the Cord design greatly influenced that of the 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado, as both shared front-wheel drive, combined with the front end featuring hidden headlights and the big slotted wheels...

1966-Oldsmobile-Toronado-Jay-Leno-FA-102

(...I remember well in the summer of 1965 when this then 13 y/o caught sight of the cover of the latest edition of Motor Trend magazine on the news racks and which on its cover featured the soon to come new Olds Toronado, and remember thinking how different and advanced this car looked)

Do you recall the old "underground" comic WONDER WARTHOG?  In HOT ROD CARTOONS, cartoonist Robert Shelton had WW get hold of one of those, and he put "slicks" on the front and tooled around and raced it in REVERSE? 

Sepiatone

Sorry slayton. I guess my Gearhead-ism and the enthusiasm it creates within me for all things automotive and motorcycle related is sometimes a little difficult for me to contain.

;)

I can just picture you living in Manhattan without, as most residents manage, a car.

Good for you Janet ... I'm another lifelong Mopar lover.  I've had many and still have my first car - 70 Road Runner.  It's in dire need of attention though ... one day it will get it!

First new car and second car I ever bought was a 1971 Dodge Challenger.  Real POS.  Kept it 18 months, got married and wife had a 71 Buick Skylark.  Kept the Buick and dumped the Dodge.  Close friend had a 70 Baracuda - another POS and he traded it in on a Buick.

For styling though, the Challenger really beat the other makes.  Just that workmanship and reliability were in the toilet.

On the other hand, my father had a 65 Dodge Dart and my sister had a 67 Dart.  Great cars. My sister's lasted over 10 years and over 100,000 miles with no more than routine maintenance.

I can just picture you living in Manhattan without, as most residents manage, a car.

Yeah DGF, this "Gearhead-ism" of mine DID probably form early on in my life because of growing up in sunny and warm car crazy L.A., and IF instead had been raised in that locale where Randy Newman once observed "it's cold and it's damp, and all the people dress like monkeys"(sorry Swithin, if you're out there reading this) and where a great public transportation system exits(or as Gene, Frank and Jules once observed, "the people ride in a hole in the ground"), then yeah, this affinity for cars and motorcycles most likely wouldn't have developed within me. ;)

(...and although I must admit NYC is a great city, but as they say, "it's a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there"...and in fact at this stage of my life, I wouldn't want to in ANY large city anymore, and that's why I don't)

It's definitively a camaro as stated previously

I just pulled my DVD and slow motioned and zoomed it.  I would say the car that Newman is driving toward the dozers is a Challenger, but the hood that is shown flying off during the explosion is not from a Challenger - too flat.

Not an expert on the pillars of Camaro vs. Challenger, but can't disagree that it was a Camaro in the explosion.

Never know, but they probably got a white junk car and set it on top of the dozer blades and then blew it up for the scenic effect.

After all, a car crashing into the two blades might just as well have gone sideways as over the top.

Maybe somebody can locate the special effects guys who rigged the scene?

For now, I go with probably a Camaro in the explosion.

• Like 1

First new car and second car I ever bought was a 1971 Dodge Challenger.  Real POS.  Kept it 18 months, got married and wife had a 71 Buick Skylark.  Kept the Buick and dumped the Dodge.  Close friend had a 70 Baracuda - another POS and he traded it in on a Buick.

For styling though, the Challenger really beat the other makes.  Just that workmanship and reliability were in the toilet.

On the other hand, my father had a 65 Dodge Dart and my sister had a 67 Dart.  Great cars. My sister's lasted over 10 years and over 100,000 miles with no more than routine maintenance.

Whatever makes you happy, there were many POS produced then, not just E body Mopars and btw that opinion varies by the person.  So your opinion is your opinion, but I don't fault or mind you for having it.  I'm sure some Skylark or other Buick owners thought these cars were a POS.  Its just down to individual preferences and desires and maybe luck sometimes.  It also would depend/vary based on the drive train.  

Some like one brand/style of car, others like other brands or styles.  I appreciate most cars of the muscle generation personally but have always had Mopar and like them above others.  Most of my cars from that era are/were B or C bodies, not pony cars and they are/were all big blocks.

I just pulled my DVD and slow motioned and zoomed it.  I would say the car that Newman is driving toward the dozers is a Challenger, but the hood that is shown flying off during the explosion is not from a Challenger - too flat.

Not an expert on the pillars of Camaro vs. Challenger, but can't disagree that it was a Camaro in the explosion.

Never know, but they probably got a white junk car and set it on top of the dozer blades and then blew it up for the scenic effect.

After all, a car crashing into the two blades might just as well have gone sideways as over the top.

In the clip I posted that you replied to it's definitely a camaro crashing into the bull dozers.  Notice you only see one bull dozer as the challenger is approaching (the other wasn't there most likely and he drove past it), then you see from inside the car (could have been going any speed - very brief shot, and then from behind the car approaching.  From behind at the moment of impact the car is a camaro.  You can tell easily by the tail lights and shape of the body if you are familiar with these cars

67Camaro_Vanishing_Point_zpsfe989c2c.jpg

getting the scene/shot set up - looks like Barry in the back ground but vest is different than the movie.

See camaro badge on front fender and steel wheels painted silver

5516mil.jpg

67/68 camaro body lines on car

vp021_zpsa140ea7f.jpg

70 Challenger body lines visible

in this image

VanishingPoint1R_zps1276725c.jpg

Behind the scenes setup of ramp to get the car do what they needed ..

5416mil.jpg

And this is exactly how I viewed this, Cid, and probably how the F/X guys did it in that movie.

Freeze-framing the head-on scene just before the crash, that IS still definitely a Challenger, BUT as you mentioned it's a good bet they took a white Camaro, which of course were two car that resembled each other quite a bit and with the main difference being that the beltline of the Challengers kicked up just forward of the rear wheel well, placed it in front of the blades of those bulldozers and then set off explosive chargers within it to simulate a crash into those blades.

'Cause yeah, also free-framing the later shot, the taillights of the car which explodes are DEFINITELY those of a Camaro and not of a Challenger.

(...bottom line...it appears the car they "crashed" in the film was NOT a Camaro, but the car they "destroyed" looks to be one)

And this is exactly how I viewed this, Cid, and probably how the F/X guys did it in that movie.

Freeze-framing the head-on scene just before the crash, that IS still definitely a Challenger, BUT as you mentioned it's a good bet they took a white Camaro, which of course were two car that resembled each other quite a bit and with the main difference being that the beltline of the Challengers kicked up just forward of the rear wheel well, placed it in front of the blades of those bulldozers and then set off explosive chargers within it to simulate a crash into those blades.

'Cause yeah, also free-framing the later shot, the taillights of the car which explodes are DEFINITELY those of a Camaro and not of a Challenger.

(...bottom line...it appears the car they "crashed" in the film was NOT a Camaro, but the car they "destroyed" looks to be one)

It's a Camaro that crashes into the bulldozer.  It's done by editing

Look at pics I added below