Sign in to follow this  
msladysoul

What do today movie stars lack?

43 posts in this topic

Okay, all these threads about today's actors what they lack, how stupid they are, etc.

I think we are doing a disservice to those actors of this generation who are good and are trying to hone their craft.

Actors such as Leonardo DiCaprio (whatever you think of him, he takes risks with his choices), Cate Blanchett, Vigo Mortenson, Kate Winslet, Toby McGuire, Jude Law (he's not the first to get caught with the nanny and he won't be the last), Nicole Kidman (she may not be a legend but at least she, too, takes chances with the scripts she selects). Yeah, she did 'Bewitched' but she if look at her resume you'll find a number of smaller, independent films that probably never would have been made without her. You may not like them but give her credit for not just taking the easy road and resting on her laurels. And many more.

I think there needs to be some distinction in these types of threads between "celebrities" and actors.

Not all actors in the 30s and 40s were great actors and that applies to today's generation as well. There are good character actors today just as there were sixty years ago.

I love old movies but there are movies in the last thirty years that I love just as much as the classics, and movies in the last few years that I love as much as the classics.

Same goes for actors and actresses.

What a fascinating topic! (I'm new here btw, hope I can just join in.) I must agree with lzcutter to some extent. After all, Warner Brothers in the old days was famous for cranking out a couple of movies each week, so the actors then couldn't go out and spend months researching a role. Spencer Tracy said "you say your lines and go home" and yet he's one of my favorite actors. THAT may be part of the key in itself, if I may quote from one of my favorite movies:

"I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star!" (Peter O'Toole in "My Favorite Year"). We had actors who remembered that they were indeed actors, and they weren't hung up on being movie stars. We still have some of them today, but not as many as there used to be.

Part of it is definitely the way people were protected: remember Frank Sinatra's fall from grace when he left his wife for Ava Gardner. We're so used to it now that each week those magazines at the checkout counter pairs up some movie star with some OTHER movie star and we can't even keep up with it; it's like they're square dancing the way they change partners.

A lot of it has to do with things being left to the imagination. People have imaginations far more vivid than they usually realize, and a kiss-clinch-fadeout is usually far more effective than a sweaty-naked rolling around scene. Imagine Bogart and Bergman in Casablanca! We never saw either of them undressed and yet there was no doubt as to what they felt for each other.

I think older movies are better than most of the present-day ones, but I can't QUITE agree with the poster who said "if it isn't in B&W I won't watch it." After all, Gone with the Wind, the Garden of Allah, and 5 of Jose Iturbi's 7 movies were in color, so I can't discount movies on that basis!

What a great discussion, I say again...thanks for letting me join in.

Trout

1.) They don't work hard.

2.) Most of them get into hollywood through nepotism (family has connections and gets them in).

3.) Just wanna be famous...aren't really passionate about acting.

Today's movie star's lack one big thing: persona. Persona is the main thing. One star is interchangeable as another.

I can name on one hand the outstanding films I have seen this year. Then, when I look at the trailers (previews), I see more junk on the way. Stupid stars appearing in stupid movies is all you get.

And, the movie studios still can't figure out why the box office is in a slump for the whatever week it is. One producer was blaming his stars for the failure of his movie in the US, when it was probably the so-called stars who got people into the theater in the first. Then, when they found out what a disgusting topic the movie was about, they left, early in the film.

Perhaps they could make better movies, with better scripts. And, when they do an adaptation of a classic novel, they update it to give the character sensibilities the author never intended the characters to have. They keep the old settings, but turn the characters into 21st century people.

Deborah

Deborah

I couldn't agree with you more. Ninety percent of the movies made today are a complete waste of time and effort. What sort of an audience are the studios catering to? With endless car chases, bigger and larger explosions, everyone gunning each other down with the latest in ammunitions and disgusting language to boot, no one with common sensibilities could find these movies entertaining. Where is the audience for this crap the studios keep dishing out, in homes for the criminally insane!

You made a very strong point about the actors. Yes, they are interchangeable. It doesn't matter who plays in these movies because they don't require any acting ability whatsoever. Maybe just good looks and limited talent. As for the movies, they are mercifully and quickly forgotten.

Tom Cruise is a man out of control. If he is really in love for the very first time, he could have tempered that...like pretended he was a man of good taste and discretion. After all, he has 2 children, I believe they're boys, what kind of example is he setting for them...what does it say about his previous wives.

He's disrespectful and controlling...he suffers from that little man thing. That poor young woman should run not walk to the nearest exit! Maybe he can control her completely and that's what he really wants.

Sad, he's just another older man looking for a younger woman he can transform. It's all kind of creepy...a little like watching someone self-destruct right in front of you. Nicole Kidman is a classy lady...he acted like a cad! Poor thing...little Katie Holmes hasn't even heard the doors of freedom slamming shut behind her.

Movie Stars today think that their opinions will impact us little people. We have Sean Penn going to the middle east to solve the worlds problems. But you certainly don't see him over their now supporting our troops. You have Tom Cruise now a doctor/cult leader trying to rule people who are trying to make their lifes better just because he has his religion. These are just two examples that come to mind. I do understand that many of the classic stars had their strong opinions but I also understand that many of them enlisted in the armed services to protect our country. Look at what the classic stars did to support the troops by having the stagedoor canteen. Stars today have their opinion but have no substance to support it!

Stars today are selfish and lack integrity, morals and class. What is it clothing optional these days? I am far from a prude but the way some of these women dress is appauling. Whatever happened to the gorgeous costumes like the classics. The acting is also a joke. Many of the movies today consist of blood or sex and these actors are paid enormous amounts of money for junk. Thats really entertaining NOT! There is only a handful of stars I like today and most of them are comedians but I miss the good movies like the classics.

WHEW! I guess I have my opinions tooooo sorry that I rambled!

Actually a number of stars and singers go "Over There" as part of the USO to entertain the troops.

And while we all wish that glamour was still apart of Hollywood the fact of the matter is that glamour is no longer a part of the American culture. We stopped dressing up back in the 1960s and have been dressing down ever since.

Before then, it was unheard of to go out to dinner in anything less than a dress and jacket. Women and men wore hats, women wore gloves, men wore jackets and ties to work, to shop, to eat.

That no longer really exists here. I agree that the celebrities of today could certainly use some fashion sense but until we all stop buying People Magazine and the tabloids to see what they are wearing and stop watching all the "Entertainment Now" shows to see what they are wearing and stop turning mediocre talent into names by celebrating celebrity instead of acting, then we are part of the problem.

On a different note, how many of us get dressed up for dinner every time we go out?

I have to agree with lz. There's a whole different world out there now. Everbody wants the good, easy life and mainly don't care how they get it. And the glamour and fashion that once was-is no more. I tend to think that today's people would be really put out if they had to dress UP for something. It just isn't done anymore except for special occassions and even then the men can't wait to get their ties off and the women to get their shoes off. I, myself, love to watch the classics for their glamour and fashion and elegance as much as I do for the story. It must have been a grand era-I would have loved dressing up and going to balls, formal dinners, theater, opera and all the rest. Part of me is rather sad that I was born too late to be an actual part of that time. Maybe that's why I watch TCM over all the other channels--at least I can visualize myself as being a part of the goings on and that makes me happy. On the other hand, today's world simply doesn't have much to offer me to keep my interest and enthusiasm going and that's sad. But one can always wish and dream....:) Sue

p.s. You are right bggalaxy so three lashes with a wet noodle for me.

Interesting thread. I've always thought that today's movies should be better than the old ones because of how much time goes into them. Studios used to crank out movies like an assembly line. With the time and money that is lavished on films today, a greater percentage of them SHOULD be good or great - but they're not.

There probably is less talent out there. The making of Casablanca was a mess, but everyone who touched it was brilliant.

I never realized how glamourous old movies/stars were compared to now. It's so true. At first I wondered whether it's a good thing or a bad thing. I saw an interview in which an actress (it might have been Bette Davis) denounces the loss of glamour, saying that movies should be larger than life. But why shouldn't they be real and down-to-earth? I guess it's like iz and elinor said; it's a sign of the times. Neither good nor bad.

I do think stars should be more discreet, and the public less interested, in their sordid love lives.

All this wonderful technology has shifted the focus of some movies to their special effects. It's great to have awesome images in a movie, but they should not supercede the script and acting. See Lawrence of Arabia for a good balance.

Finally, thanks to everyone who defended a few current stars and films. We don't want to over-generalize.

Oops - I wanted to mention that some of the silver screen actors HATED the controlling studio system. Cagney complained about it in his autobiography.

What do movie stars of today lack? The question should be: what do women of today lack? All the things that made the women of the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 80s hot.

I know that to many on this board that the stars of today can not hold a candle to the stars of Classic Hollywood. Lord knows there are topics in all the forums about everything from Today's Stupidest Stars to the topic at hand.

I did, however, want to share this info:

John Travolta and Kelly Preston flew 5 tons of supplies into Louisana and the Gulf Coast today and did it with very little fanfare.

George Clooney, Steven Spielberg, Oprah Winfrey and others have each donated $1 million to the Red Cross, the United Way and other Relief Organizations.

Leo DiCaprio used his private jet to bring evacuees to Los Angeles.

Harry Connick, Jr has been in his hometown of New Orleans since last Thursday helping rescue people out of attics and get them to relief shelters and hospitals.

It's really easy to make fun of today's Hollywood but when the chips are down, many of those stars are rising to the occasion and doing what they can to help and doing it without shining the spotlight on themselves.

Something to keep in mind when talking about what they lack and how stupid they are.

Yes--and I saw on Al Franken last night that Sean Penn took a boat out and was rescuing people trapped in their homes. I'm with you Liz. There is a litte too much bashing of some of the current stars around here. Maybe they don't go out of their houses dressed to the nines like in the old days. And maybe only 1 out of 20 really have any talent whatsoever. But I don't want to dismiss some of their contributions to art & society. They are not all of them bad.

Julia Roberts, Matthew McCongahey (sp??), Matt Damon,Sandra Bullock, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, Amy Grant are just some more of the stars and singers devoting time, resources and money to the Crisis.

I am truly glad to see that some of the people of Hollywood are showing their best sides. It makes me hope that when they mature a little, they will turn out to be the great moviestars we are all looking for. And I agree, less on their personal sides-more on their professional sides. This would calm things down a lot. :) Sue