BruceA4

DISH Network vs TCM - where are we?

27 posts in this topic

Good morning.

Am I the only one that would like this resolved NOW?

It's a "he said, she said" discussion that just needs to be negotiated so that everybody wins.

• Like 2

Good morning.

It's a "he said, she said" discussion that just needs to be negotiated so that everybody wins.

TCM is just one of the Turner networks sold as a bundled package.   e.g. with CNN and TBS.   These other networks are really at the heart of the issue as it relates to pricing (especially TBS since they have sports).

I'm glad DISH is not giving in since if they give in my cable company will be asked to pay more and that will increase what I have to pay per month.

I don't relish paying moire for the other offerings from Turner, but we really do use TCM frequently.

DISH still has TNT and TBS, but they don't seem to be part of the negotiations.

No, you're not the only one who wants this resolved now. I posted something the other day and somehow the topic is "locked" in another discussion thread.

Both companies seem to be pointing the finger at the other and we, as the paying customers, are not hearing anything.

I've been a DISH subscriber since the mid 90's and a TCM just about since the first day it was offered on DISH. I am an old movie fan (20's, 30's, 40s to the present but more so in the past) and there is nothing out there that compares to older cinema.

My 87 year old mom and I talk by phone every Tuesday night and a usual topic of conversation is what's been on TCM. For the last two weeks now we've had no old movies to talk about.

Please resolve this thing soon. Of the 1000 channels I get on DISH, TCM is at the top of the list. I do not wish to view TCM on my computer or have it streaming to my TV.

Is there ANY progress?

• Like 1

Good morning.

No your are not the only one.  It is the main channel I watch.  I have dish network and now I have nothing much to watch.  I watched it every night !!!  I need my 132 !

No, you're not the only one who wants this resolved now. I posted something the other day and somehow the topic is "locked" in another discussion thread.

Both companies seem to be pointing the finger at the other and we, as the paying customers, are not hearing anything.

I've been a DISH subscriber since the mid 90's and a TCM just about since the first day it was offered on DISH. I am an old movie fan (20's, 30's, 40s to the present but more so in the past) and there is nothing out there that compares to older cinema.

My 87 year old mom and I talk by phone every Tuesday night and a usual topic of conversation is what's been on TCM. For the last two weeks now we've had no old movies to talk about.

Please resolve this thing soon. Of the 1000 channels I get on DISH, TCM is at the top of the list. I do not wish to view TCM on my computer or have it streaming to my TV.

Is there ANY progress?

I am so glad to here that I am not the only one.  Without TCM, I don't even want to watch television.

I'm glad DISH is not giving in since if they give in my cable company will be asked to pay more and that will increase what I have to pay per month.

I'd be wiling to pay a buck more a month if it meant getting TCM back.

Which One Will Blink First...

I've been spending this time without TCM going through my DVR and cleaning it up. I had over 80 movies from TCM on it and now I'm down to 50. TBS and TNT are in a package to themselves so they are not included in this bidding war.

It seems to me that Dish wants to use Turner Networks as an example to others like NBC Universal and AMC Networks that Dish is willing to hold down costs by any means necessary so don't you try this. We (Dish will drop you too). No channel is a must have so and you can be replaced. 

I'd be wiling to pay a buck more a month if it meant getting TCM back.

I would also be willing to pay a buck more (or two),  for my cable company Cox to retain TCM if Cox gets into a similar contract dispute like we are seeing with DISH.    But I wasn't willing to pay 4 - 5 dollars more for a Dodgers network so I supported Cox, Direct-TV etc.. in that battle.    The Dodgers go a whole season with only 30% of the So Cal market having access to their games and I don't see a deal being made prior to next season.   I only point that out as an indication that these type of disputes are like trying to get peace in the middle east.

unfortunately, customers can put pressure on Dish by changing providers or demanding rebates, but how does one pressure a corp. like TimeWarner, unless you own a HUGE amount of shares???

:(:angry:

unfortunately, customers can put pressure on Dish by changing providers or demanding rebates, but how does one pressure a corp. like TimeWarner, unless you own a HUGE amount of shares???

:(:angry:

Your correct and this is why I continue to mention the Dodgers and the contract dispute between TimeWarner and the content carriers (Cox (my carrier),  DISH, Direct TV,  etc...),  where for the entire season 70% of the So Cal market didn't have access to the games.     Many said the dispute would be over before the start of the season.  NOT.   There are no talks at this time and therefore it is likely the dispute will continue next season.  

As you noted IF a consumer wants specific content typically there is at least ONE source available to them and they have to switch carriers.  This is the strategy TW is banking on (that consumers will switch to TW) with the Dodgers.     

The only way to change this would be for the FCC to NOT allow content providers to also be carriers (which I believe use to be the law before deregulation).   Something similar to what happened with movies studios and theaters.  

• Like 1

I would also be willing to pay a buck more (or two),  for my cable company Cox to retain TCM if Cox gets into a similar contract dispute like we are seeing with DISH.    But I wasn't willing to pay 4 - 5 dollars more for a Dodgers network so I supported Cox, Direct-TV etc.. in that battle.    The Dodgers go a whole season with only 30% of the So Cal market having access to their games and I don't see a deal being made prior to next season.   I only point that out as an indication that these type of disputes are like trying to get peace in the middle east.

This is a long term situation. Nothing anyone can do overnight. Time Warner planned this all along as did Turner. Force the customer to choose one over the other. Notice there is no carrier that has every channel you want. Its a game they are playing thinking people are addicted to their cable box and will comply to anything they do.

Can't depend on politicians to solve it either. These politicians are in bed with many of them so that won't change. The only thing that you can do is make your own personal decision on what you wish to do. People are voting with their wallets and cutting cords by the hundreds of thousands every quarter. Many reports on this all over the net. Those customer won't be back either.

The best way to resolve this is competition and its already happening.   Make cable obsolete. This puts the customer back into the driver's seat. I haven't spent one dime on anything Laker or Dodger. I can't change a multinational congolmerate. But, I can control my own experience 

This is a long term situation. Nothing anyone can do overnight.

Call and email Dish and tell them that you were thinking of subscribing to Dish, but because of this and because of increasing cable and sat fees, you have decided to cut the cable and go only with on-line internet downloads and services like Netflix for movies, news, other video and audio, etc.

Tell them you are a member of a group, club, association, etc. dedicated to boycotting cable and satellite services because of the absurd increasing fees and the junk that the companies pad their channels with, such as all the worthless channels such as the sales and infomercial channels.

Your correct and this is why I continue to mention the Dodgers and the contract dispute between TimeWarner and the content carriers (Cox (my carrier),  DISH, Direct TV,  etc...),  where for the entire season 70% of the So Cal market didn't have access to the games.     Many said the dispute would be over before the start of the season.  NOT.  

Back in the Good ol' Days, major companies would at least pretend that they cared about their customers.

Today they don't bother with such attitudes and "public relations" is a thing of the past.

Back in the Good ol' Days, major companies would at least pretend that they cared about their customers.

Today they don't bother with such attitudes and "public relations" is a thing of the past.

I'm not so sure major companies were any better at customer relations back in those good ol' days.   But it was easier to deal with an upset customer before the Internet.    With Twitter,  Facebook,  Angie's List,  etc...  the goal of public relations is to keep anything negative about the company out of the limelight.

• Like 1

Who owns Direct TV? 

AT&T to Buy DirecTV for $48.5 Billion in Move to Expand Clout

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/att-to-buy-directv-for-48-5-billion/?_r=0

You can now bundle your TV and your AT&T phone service just like Comcast is doing... to quote "Alice in Wonderland," Things get curiouser and curiouser all the time.

This is a very good thread! This was my experience with DISH today...

I went right through "customer service", when "Cris" told me that there was nothing that he could do to help me. Spoke with the Philippine "accounts director" to voice displeasure with the "ongoing negotiations" with Turner. After 10 minutes on the phone, I believe this is going to take a lot longer to reach an agreement than anyone ever thought.

I spoke with a neighbor who told me that she went to "customer service" and got a $40 credit on her bill, to "compensate" her for the inconvenience and the absence of the quality programming she was initially paying good money for.

In Q3 {July-Sept], Dish lost 12,000 subscribers. It's less than 1% of total subscribers.

The stock, "DISH" [on the NASDAQ] has current earnings, annual earnings, sales AND margins in the single digits. That's really poor performance. Paying more to Turner would exascerbate the problem. DISH's CEO owns 80+% of DISH stock and his yearly compensations is $2.2 million.

I am a care-giver for my mom and dad...89 and 91 respectively. TCM is one of the very few shows they really enjoy, now its been taken away. I've been a loyal DISH customer since 2004. I'm told that they [DISH] are doing everything possible to deal with Turner. The MGM channel, chosen by DISH as a replacement, is abysmal.

From the DISH website:

“In the past year, DISH has successfully renewed agreements with many large content providers,” said Warren Schlichting, DISH senior vice president of Programming. “As a result, we are confident that we have offered a deal to Turner that reflects an appropriate value for our customers. DISH has had a productive relationship with Turner Networks for many years,” said Schlichting. “We regret the service disruption to our customers, and remain committed to reaching an agreement that promptly returns this content to DISH’s programming lineup.”

This sounds like "the line in the sand" and digging in their heels rhetoric to me. I don't know how this is going to wash out.  I personally watch so few channels as it is. :wacko:

TCM is [or maybe soon to be "was"] my favorite channel.

If you haven't already done so, call DISH and tell them how you feel, as I did today. It may not do much good, but it may make you feel better getting "it" off your chest.

• Like 1

DISH still has TNT and TBS, but they don't seem to be part of the negotiations.

Bad news from Dish, it appears that the contract for those will be up soon. I sure do miss TCM.

Quote from Dish's CEO:

For now, Dish is still carrying TBS and TNT but “we have to be prepared that those channels will come down as well,” Ergen said, noting that programming deals typically are bundled together. That may result in a loss of subscribers, but “we have a responsibility to our shareholders not to do stupid deals.”

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/dish-prepared-to-take-tnt-tbs-off-lineup-leave-cnn-dark-for-good-ergen-1201347310/

I read that DISH CEO Charlie does not care about TCM or any other Turner broadcasts.  He is using that money to negiotiate with Disney for somekind of online streaming he can market to college students for about $25.00/mo.  He has said that there are other news channels to watch and if people want old movies rent Nexflix (?).  That is the reason why it has not been resolved, because it wont be.

As far as price increase goes...the price of wheat goes up, but we still buy bread and that goes for gas, clothing etc. 

What CEO Charlie likes is not the question.

If he wishes to remain to be successful with DISH, he has to be responsive to his customer base.

What CEO Charlie likes is not the question.

If he wishes to remain to be successful with DISH, he has to be responsive to his customer base.

(from what I read it IS the future 'streaming' profits he really cares about. Ergen owns 52 per cent of Dish and Echostar shares and holds 88 percent of its total voting power.)

I guess what galls me is Egren's arrogant attitude towards his customer base.

He figures 'they' have other outlets for getting news & cartoons, stick the crappy MGM (or worse, the Hallmark channel) to the old-timers and since many are glued into contracts anyway, what're they gonna do??

BTW let's now threaten to drop CBS also. That oughta put a fire under ALL the networks, right? They'll be the ones losing ad revenue, and Customers??.....

"-----'em if they can't take a joke!"

173700.jpg

• Like 1

I am so excited for the return of TCM and Cartoon Network! Too bad there isn't anything on tonight on TCM that I want to watch; but I'm watching a DVR'd recording of "The Stranger" and pretending that it is live on TCM tonight.  Lol.

This never had anything to do with Charlie's likes or dislikes, other than the fact that he doesn't like to pay one dime more than he has to for programming.

DISH has been successful by keeping prices down compared to cable and, to a lesser extent, DIRECTV. This is how he does it. Negotiating to the brink.

The only failure I've seen is his long running battle with YES network. They won't give him his price, so they aren't on DISH. My sport network, MASN, wasn't on DISH for all of the first and half of the second year. And HD didn't come for a couple of years after that.

This week, my local radio has been running constant ads about losing CBS on DISH. Tonight, it's Comcast Sportsnet. Charlie is doing his thing with everyone this month.

Well I for one am glad Turner is back on Dish...all our neighbors already went to Direct. Glad you all reached an agreement!  :)