slaytonf

How to post a pic in easy steps, with pics!

124 posts in this topic

This grew out of exchanges on other threads.  This is how I do it:

One, copy the address of the pic:

10cotps.png

Two, click on the Image icon:

260wnra.png

Three, paste the image address in the dialog box:

zwxox4.png

And the image appears:

96091_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Hope this helps.

Right-- this is very basic, very self-explanatory. Instead of using pull-down menus-- I usually go to Google Images, find what I want, then highlight everything in the browser, and press Command-C (for copy). When I get back to this website I do the rest of what Slayton says, using Command-V (for paste).

One thing we may want to add is that if you are inserting a pic in the middle of text (like between paragraphs) you will have to press the Return (Enter) key to separate the photo from the surrounding text or else it all runs together.

And an extra tip-- sometimes when I take something from Google Images, I crop it and resave it, then add it as new media on a page on one of my blogs. That becomes the address I copy and paste into my posts here at TCM City. Why do I do that? So that I can rename the picture under something I might remember more easily. And so I know a long time from now, my images will still be here, and there will be no hot-linking problems. It is all coming from my website, not some other website. I've done that with every photo in the 'It Happened on This Day' thread, because my intention is that the contents of that thread will survive a nuclear winter.

Can you tell I'm a control freak-- even when it comes to photos? LOL :)

Hah...thanks slayton, this post is for Pasting Photos For Dummies, i.e., me. Let's see if this works.

Warren-William-Mouthpiece-130x130.jpg

Wow, color me dumb. I kept using, over and over, COPY IMAGE, instead of Copy Image Location - I don't have Copy Image Address.

warren-william-smokes-130x130.jpg

Is he beautiful, or what?

:)

Thanks again!

Yeah, and now allow ME to try a photo in a similar vein here, primos...

snidely.jpg

LOL

(...sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

Yeah, and now allow ME to try a photo in a similar vein here, primos...

snidely.jpg

LOL

(...sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

Hah!

slayton, you've created a monster!-------------sorry. Is there any way to make these pics come up horizontally? I put them in my signature horizontally, they come up vertically. If no, I will delete them. TIA.

Hah!

slayton, you've created a monster!-------------sorry. Is there any way to make these pics come up horizontally? I put them in my signature horizontally, they come up vertically. If no, I will delete them. TIA.

Why is this thread "pinned"/ I feel like I'm back at my college fraternity.

Why is this thread "pinned"/ I feel like I'm back at my college fraternity.

"Did someone say 'college fraternity'?"

animal_house-toga-party.jpg

(...TOGA...TOGA...TOGA!!!)  

Hah!

I guess no one has the answer to my question. NP, one picture of my future husband Warren William is as good as five.

Hah!

I don't know what you mean by horizontally.

Oh, do you mean side to side, going across the page?

2poaxkx.png    dhfpd1.png      szwod3.png

I posted these images side by side when I composed it.  Now they line up vertically.  Can't account for it.

Yes, that's it, slayton. I notice it happens with emoticons, and with photos as well.

... Is there any way to make these pics come up horizontally? I put them in my signature horizontally, they come up vertically. If no, I will delete them. TIA.

I use my Microsoft Paint program (everyone running Microsoft should have this). I copy or capture each one separately and save - it automatically saves to my Pictures/Screenshot/Captures folder. Then I open a Paint window and paste each one side-by-side. Then save that group as a single pic. Then post that pic here.

I sure miss the old way of just running all the URLs end-to-end in the same message line 8^<

f3w0bb.jpg

This method is termed: hotlinking. 

I prefer to copy to my computer and transfer to an on-line host because when you hotlink then the image could be changed and its replacement will appear in your post rather than what you meant to post.

Awesome. Now how do you embed a video?

Just copy the address line of your YouTube video of choice, type in left bracket "[", the word "media" and right bracket "]",  and then paste that address after it, and then end that pasted address line with those same brackets and "/media" between them...not including any of the quotation marks here, of course.

(...note, when I first posted this answer I had typed in the actual entry, but it didn't show those characters after I had entered it, and so I had to "spell it out" for you)

This is how I post a video:

Find a video somewhere, say YouTube.  Select the address:

14e17c7.png

Copy it.  then simply paste it in the body of my post:

j0v47n.png

And it comes out like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n4CKeHHbU0

I use my Microsoft Paint program (everyone running Microsoft should have this). I copy or capture each one separately and save - it automatically saves to my Pictures/Screenshot/Captures folder. Then I open a Paint window and paste each one side-by-side. Then save that group as a single pic. Then post that pic here.

I sure miss the old way of just running all the URLs end-to-end in the same message line 8^<

f3w0bb.jpg

Wow, I'll have to try that KidDabb. Thanks.

And for using my FH as an example! :wub:

Wow, I'll have to try that KidDabb. Thanks.

And for using my FH as an example! :wub:

KidDabb, I assembled the photos in Paint, as you instructed. I got as far as 'saving the group as a single pic' from Paint. However, it saved the photo in Windows Photo Viewer.

Now: I can't get the picture from there..............to here.

KidDabb, I assembled the photos in Paint, as you instructed. I got as far as 'saving the group as a single pic' from Paint. However, it saved the photo in Windows Photo Viewer.

Now: I can't get the picture from there..............to here.

The photo has actually been saved in a Folder - you are just viewing it (from that folder) with Windows Photo Viewer.

Windows Photo Viewer pulls a photo from the Folder it is stored (saved) in - default folder name is usually Pictures. Do you have any folders named Pictures, Captures, Screenshots, etc..? What folder are your other photos stored in?

The photo has actually been saved in a Folder - you are just viewing it (from that folder) with Windows Photo Viewer.

Windows Photo Viewer pulls a photo from the Folder it is stored (saved) in - default folder name is usually Pictures. Do you have any folders named Pictures, Captures, Screenshots, etc..? What folder are your other photos stored in?

I do have Pictures folders, but get photos/files in there from uploading or scanning. I just tried to take a screenshot of what I am seeing when I click on 'save as' in Paint, and of course didn't. Here are my choices when I click on 'save as' in Paint:

PNG

JPEG

BMP

GIF

Other formats

All of the above are saved in 'downloads'.

I do have Pictures folders, but get photos/files in there from uploading or scanning. I just tried to take a screenshot of what I am seeing when I click on 'save as' in Paint, and of course didn't. Here are my choices when I click on 'save as' in Paint:

PNG

JPEG

BMP

GIF

Other formats

All of the above are saved in 'downloads'.

OK.  When you move your mouse over 'save as' in Paint (without clicking), does a window open to the right with the option 'JPEG picture' ?

Anything like this..?
30lgxs7.jpg
- if so..

Select JPEG picture - you should then see something like this at the bottom of your screen:
rhj3ax.jpg
Now..  name it (or leave Untitled as default name), then Save or Return. That will drop it right into your Pictures folder.

If you skip the third step (Save or Return), everything will clear out and you will have to begin again.

This is just a test

2001_A_Space_Odyssey_40.jpg

....Had this been an actual event, you would have been instructed to consult the "Fans Of Stanley Kubrick" website in order to attempt to make sense of the ending to this movie.

;)