slaytonf

How to post a pic in easy steps, with pics!

124 posts in this topic

Hey everybody, Slaytonf was kind enough to point out to me in a private message that linking to your LinkedIn photo can have security issues. So think twice about following my instructions for uploading your pic.

What ever photo you choose for your profile pic/avatar what ever your statement will be heard in my mind of the star your picked.

Hey everybody, Slaytonf was kind enough to point out to me in a private message that linking to your LinkedIn photo can have security issues. So think twice about following my instructions for uploading your pic.

Yes,  clearly if people find someone on LinkedIn a lot of personal info is disclosed that one may NOT wish disclosed at this forum.

Oh,  and that sound advise was perfect coming for your avatar,  John Garfield;   Sadly that man's right to privacy was invaded and many believe the associated stress lead to his early death.    Garfield was unique and a fine actor.

James, I sure wan't to, but need coaching all the way pal

I have (3) avatars &  for months all set   Tracy in it all of them (not fond of 2 of them, but the one from A Gudy Named Joe is settled on

with Bomber Jacket, BUT

My A #! world though be of"Black RocK

(RUNERS-UP: Sinatra, but only in the mid 1955 p[ost Ava Years, when he & Capitol , produced some of the all-time greatest number! 165 or so)

WHEN YOU GET ANOTHER MINUTE, PLEASE ASSIST
US TCM-ITES Must stick together, with what I seen on it's horizon

THANK

I've still not done it, but haven't really tried again, Been busy, plus don't want to get frustrated again

My runner-up AVATAR would be of an image of SINATRA

Why is posting a picture as an avatar so difficult?  I have followed instructions/suggestions from TopBilled, Sansfin and others and it just isn't happening for me.  I'm not a computer genius but it seems like it should be easier.  I tried the URL thing and it wouldn't recognize it.  I downloaded into my computer a picture from a "free photo" website and it wouldn't come over even though I have the photo in My Documents and My Downloads in my Windows 10.  I give up; I can't believe it's so complicated and I feel like an idiot. (John Gilbert is the photo I want.)

There's no reason to feel like an idiot if there's something wrong with the Web site.  I prefer not to have an avatar, but following your report of the trouble you have, I tried to download a photo.  I was able to install an avatar (of John Gilbert) from a Website by copying the image address and pasting it into the 'Import a photo from a URL'.  That is, you copy the address of the photo, not the website address--pardon me if I am falsely accusing you of copying the wrong address:

2192qti.png

I live in the Mac universe, so you will have to translate to Window speak.  I also tried using a picture from my computer, and as with you, I couldn't make it work.  I made sure the photo had the right extension (png), the right size (49 KB), and the right dimensions (210 x 220 px).  This is the pic I was trying to use as an avatar:

mhggma.png

Here's the info on that pic:

3038psh.png

Maybe someone can discover what I'm doing wrong.

I use Windows and trying to upload a picture from my computer did not work despite the fact that all the pictures I tried were the "right" size.  I tried multiple times.

The only method that worked for me was the URL one.  I uploaded a picture and then changed it as well.  I don't think the other method works - at least with Windows.  At least it didn't work for me!

slaytonf, Thanks so much for your response and help.  I was able to get an avatar with help from Azure who provided pix and their corresponding URLs.  Thanks to everyone for their efforts and I am most grateful.  Apparently, when you find a pix you want to use, the URL has to be complete in that you have to type in http://  and then all the other numbers/letters (some of which are in caps) perfectly.  For example, for the three John Gilbert pix Azure sent, the URL was:  http://i.imgur.com/ followed by various letters & numbers.  Whew!

But I still & after 17yrs on the net cannot simply edited an AVATAR? :angry:

Several have always tried to tell me & I very much want to do it, but still messed it up?

My top 3 would be of "The Great: Tracy"-(either "Black Rock" which is easily my A #1 choice. Or the shot from 1944's "A Guy Named Joe" with Bomber Jacket & no hat)

My distant # is SINATRA, but after he changed from the 1940's "Voice"   1950's or evn mid '60's would be super)

PLEASE DROP THIS LOST TCM-ITE A LINE

THANK YOU

How do you upload a picture from your computer onto a regular post without it just being a thumbnail? I tried it recently with this one and couldn't just get it to work

How do you upload a picture from your computer onto a regular post without it just being a thumbnail? I tried it recently with this one and couldn't just get it to work

You have to upload the picture to a photo-sharing site, and then copy it into your post. I use Photobucket; it's free, and I've never had an issue copying pictures from it.

You have to upload the picture to a photo-sharing site, and then copy it into your post. I use Photobucket; it's free, and I've never had an issue copying pictures from it.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh---thanks!

To let you all know that ANY thumbnail/avatar photo you use to identify yourself the actor you chose is the voice I hear for your postings in my head.

I got everything right and the youtube video showed up in my post preview, but when I when I posted it it said "this image extension is not allowed by this community" What does that mean? and it wouldn't allow me to post the youtube video I wanted.

I see youtube videos posted by everybody all over the forums what am I doing wrong?

I got everything right and the youtube video showed up in my post preview, but when I when I posted it it said "this image extension is not allowed by this community" What does that mean? and it wouldn't allow me to post the youtube video I wanted.

I see youtube videos posted by everybody all over the forums what am I doing wrong?

Find the video you want on YouTube. Copy the URL in the address bar. Paste that onto your post here. That's all there is to it.

Find the video you want on YouTube. Copy the URL in the address bar. Paste that onto your post here. That's all there is to it.

I used the media button and posted the URL there. Is that wrong. Do I just put the URL in the body of the post

Thank you so much I just skipped the media button and just pasted the URL to the body of the post and it worked. Thank you so much....I have been slaving over this all day and you just made my day. My husband is ready to kill me because I've been b----ching for hours about this 

THANK YOU!!!!

When I'm posting a comment or reply, I prefer to use Internet Explorer because MS Edge makes it a little bit harder to do so.

But if I want to post a video, I have to use MS Edge because with IE I can post only the link, I have no idea why.