Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

TCMFF & other profits?

6 posts in this topic

always wondered,

do whatever profits generated from FF, Cruises, Tours, Special Screenings & now Auctions, go back directly to TCM for movie leasing, orig. programming & other expenses?

Or do they go back to parent company TimeWrner, Inc. ?

Mr. Sixes, I'm not sure how the funds are dispersed. That's a good question for the Meet the TCM panel that officially kicks off the TCM Film Festival events, though. Will you be able to attend this year?

Thanks, Sue, for response

would love to attend someday, when finances allow.

wanted to take a look at the auction though & just wondered where the $$ went.

:)

• Like 1

Mr. Sixes,

Right now with the Time Warner cutbacks and layoffs, I think there might be serious scrutiny by the beancounters as in every corporate restructuring, and I am still not privy to any financial disclosures, but I've heard rumors that the festival at least has a small profit margin. I do know that passes for this year's TCMFF 2015 are selling very quickly and that the Spotlight and Essential passes are no longer being offered in the Citibank presale.

2ea261a3-c115-401e-b783-bf54b885e109_zps

TCM sponsors many endeavors, and they have partnered with Bonnhams before on entertainment memorabilia auctions, and TCM has also sponsored the fabulous "Making of Gone With The Wing" exhibit at the Harry Ransom Center in Austin Texas.

Here's an article I wrote about some of the special exhibits at the Harry Ransom Center on display in Austin until January 4, 2014: http://www.examiner.com/list/ten-popular-exhibit-item-at-harry-ransom-center-s-making-of-gone-with-the-wind?cid=db_articles

I don't know about the film festival but I always assumed that the price paid for the cruise paid for the talent and film rental. But it's a smaller crowd and I'm not sure that there's any profit from the cruise.

ETA: not only do Robert, Ben and the stars go on the cruise, but there's usually a band like Hot Sardines and groups who play for the silent films they show like Alloy Orchestra (they're wonderful.) There's also TCM staff, special lecturers and people like Alex Trebek and Illiana Douglas. So basically the cruisers are paying for at least 30 people to come on these cruises.

Thanks for the great info on the TCM Cruise, HelenBaby2. I always want to attend, but I can't leave work when it's been scheduled.

I have many friends who enjoy it, and know that it's a fabulous trip!

Here's a short article I just wrote about TCMFF 2015 passes and industry updates: http://www.examiner.com/article/popular-turner-classic-film-festival-2015-passes-on-sale-today