TopBilled

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)

37 posts in this topic

This film will be airing on the Encore Suspense Channel in the near future.

It is scheduled for December 3, 8, 23, 27, and 31st.

Incidentally, the 1978 remake with Donald Sutherland and Brooke Adams is also running on the Encore Suspense Channel, for those who may like to compare the two different versions.

Incidentally, the 1978 remake with Donald Sutherland and Brooke Adams is also running on the Encore Suspense Channel, for those who may like to compare the two different versions.

It is now airing on Retroplex, for those interested in seeing it.

• Like 1

Seed pod time. 2nd version not bad just not near as good.

Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad.     (Leslie Howard from the Scarlett Pimpernel and my motto under my avatar). 

• Like 1

I believe this is FredCDobbs' favorite science fiction movie. He mentions it quite often in various threads. :)

I believe this is FredCDobbs' favorite science fiction movie. He mentions it quite often in various threads. :)

I think we should all donate $1 to get this film back on TCM

• Like 1

I think we should all donate $1 to get this film back on TCM

Yes, nice idea...but what if they put those donations towards making more wine promos...?

Yes, nice idea...but what if they put those donations towards making more wine promos...?

Red-necks like me don't drink wine. We drink Bourbon. :)

redneck%20toddler.JPG

• Like 1

My guess is that this film will not show up on TCM until they do a special monthly spotlight on classic science fiction. This genre is TCM's ill-begotten stepchild, and they usually do not show too many sci-fi offerings. But when they come around (provided they will come around), how can they continue to overlook this gem..?

My guess is that this film will not show up on TCM until they do a special monthly spotlight on classic science fiction. This genre is TCM's ill-begotten stepchild, and they usually do not show too many sci-fi offerings. But when they come around (provided they will come around), how can they continue to overlook this gem..?

I assume TCM overlooks much of the sci-fi genre because most of those films were made by independent\minor studios and as we have discussed TCM main focus is on the major studios especially MGM, WB and RKO.   e.g.  The Forbidden Planet is shown too often but that is by a major studio.   As you have mentioned there are noirs by some of these lessor known studios and I wish TCM would do more to lease these films as well as some of better \ more interesting, even if very cheesy,  low-budget Sci-Fi pictures

• Like 1

I assume TCM overlooks much of the sci-fi genre because most of those films were made by independent\minor studios and as we have discussed TCM main focus is on the major studios especially MGM, WB and RKO.   e.g.  The Forbidden Planet is shown too often but that is by a major studio.   As you have mentioned there are noirs by some of these lessor known studios and I wish TCM do more to lease these films as well as some of better \ more interesting, even if very cheesy,  low-budget Sci-Fi pictures

I think it was back in June 2010 when they did a monthly spotlight on drive-in movies...and they did show a lot of the cheesy sci-fi and horror flicks from the late 50s and 60s during that series. But if you blinked, you missed them, because most of those have never been repeated on TCM.

THE FORBIDDEN PLANET is definitely an overplayed title on TCM because of it's an MGM picture and in the TCM Library. 

screen-shot-2015-10-22-at-2-51-02-pm.png

I think TCM should do an evening of films honoring either Dana Wynter or Kevin McCarthy, and put this one on first. 

• Like 1

I agree on Dana Wynter and add my other two favorites:

"Sink the Bismarck!"

"The List of Adrian Messenger"

• Like 1

I agree on Dana Wynter and add my other two favorites:

"Sink the Bismarck!"

"The List of Adrian Messenger"

I haven't seen THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER. 

She appeared on an episode of Ironside and she was very good on that show. 

I haven't seen THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER. 

She appeared on an episode of Ironside and she was very good on that show. 

"The List of Adrian Messenger" is or was on YouTubes a few weeks ago.  There is kind of a contest of who can overact the most,Kirk or George.  But Dana is great as is the french guy and the surprise actors are fun to watch.  It's fun to watch.

• Like 1

"The List of Adrian Messenger" is or was on YouTubes a few weeks ago.  There is kind of a contest of who can overact the most,Kirk or George.  But Dana is great as is the french guy and the surprise actors are fun to watch.  It's fun to watch.

Maybe TCM will air it in December when Kirk turns 100. 

It is still on YouTubes = see if this hyperlink works:

Click here: The List of Adrian Messenger - YouTube
Edited by TCMModerator1
Link to video removed due to copyright concerns

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS is returning to the Retroplex schedule in May and June:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-04-28%2Bat%2B9.01.4

• Like 1

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS is returning to the Retroplex schedule in May and June:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-04-28%2Bat%2B9.01.4

Imagine: Whit Bissell, King Donovan and Sam Peckinpah all in the same movie!!

• Like 2

Imagine: Whit Bissell, King Donovan and Sam Peckinpah all in the same movie!!

Pretty amazing, isn't it..?!

Still can't believe TCM never airs this great classic. They teach INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS in film schools. It's considered a seminal work of 50s science fiction.

• Like 1

Pretty amazing, isn't it..?!

Still can't believe TCM never airs this great classic. They teach INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS in film schools. It's considered a seminal work of 50s science fiction.

Terrific film, it never grows old.

• Like 1

Even the remake is well done. I could stand to see a back-to-back with these two.

• Like 1