Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Matchmaker, Matchmaker...!

11 posts in this topic

Don't you love movies about matchmakers?  I sure do! It's certainly not romance in the most conventional sense, is it?

imgres49.jpg

I think it would be great if TCM had an evening spotlight about this subject.  I would include:

THE MODEL AND THE MARRIAGE BROKER...with Thelma Ritter & Jeanne Crain

THE MATCHMAKER...with Shirley Booth & Shirley MacLaine

HELLO, DOLLY!...the musical remake of The Matchmaker, starring Barbra Streisand

FIDDLER ON THE ROOF

• Like 1

Another Jane Austen , "Emma", would be perfect, as would the modern twist on "Emma", "Clueless". Emma trips all over herself trying to make a match for the aquaintance who has become her latest "project". Another good one would be "For Love or Money" (1963), which TCM finally showed not too long ago. Thelma Ritter does the matchmaking, playing a San Francisco socialite with three young adult daughters who hires an attorney (Kirk Douglas) to match them up with her handpicked suitors. It's very cute in a 60's sex comedy kind of way. The kicker is that Thelma has planned to have the attorney fall in love with one of the daughters himself.

• Like 2

Another good one would be "For Love or Money" (1963), which TCM finally showed not too long ago. Thelma Ritter does the matchmaking, playing a San Francisco socialite with three young adult daughters who hires an attorney (Kirk Douglas) to match them up with her handpicked suitors. It's very cute in a 60's sex comedy kind of way. The kicker is that Thelma has planned to have the attorney fall in love with one of the daughters himself.

I was glad to see FOR LOVE OR MONEY on TCM last August for Thelma Ritter's day. Hope it turns up again!

• Like 1

Another Jane Austen , "Emma", would be perfect, as would the modern twist on "Emma", "Clueless". Emma trips all over herself trying to make a match for the aquaintance who has become her latest "project". Another good one would be "For Love or Money" (1963), which TCM finally showed not too long ago. Thelma Ritter does the matchmaking, playing a San Francisco socialite with three young adult daughters who hires an attorney (Kirk Douglas) to match them up with her handpicked suitors. It's very cute in a 60's sex comedy kind of way. The kicker is that Thelma has planned to have the attorney fall in love with one of the daughters himself.

I am not sure if EMMA has aired on TCM. There is another EMMA, starring Marie Dressler, which is quite different.

• Like 1

THE MATCHMAKER with Shirley Booth is returning to Retroplex in January. I was happy to see it back on the schedule. What a great, fun piece of entertainment.

• Like 1

Reminder--

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-11-17%2Bat%2B1.08.1

THE MATCHMAKER will be airing on Retroplex this month. 

January 11th

January 21st

Don't miss it!

• Like 1

Reminder--

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-11-17%2Bat%2B1.08.1

THE MATCHMAKER will be airing on Retroplex this month. 

January 21st

Don't miss it!

Airing tomorrow. 

• Like 1

THE MATCHMAKER with Shirley Booth is returning to Retroplex in January. I was happy to see it back on the schedule. What a great, fun piece of entertainment.

And wholesome. Wholesomeness in and of itself isn't anything to recommend a movie, but when combined with a script and performances like these, it's bliss to watch. Tony Perkins, Shirley MacLaine and Robert Morse were fairly new faces at the time and all had charm to spare. Shirley Booth was incomparable and I'll take Paul Ford over Walter Matthau any day.

• Like 2

And wholesome. Wholesomeness in and of itself isn't anything to recommend a movie, but when combined with a script and performances like these, it's bliss to watch. Tony Perkins, Shirley MacLaine and Robert Morse were fairly new faces at the time and all had charm to spare. Shirley Booth was incomparable and I'll take Paul Ford over Walter Matthau any day.

As much as I like Walter Matthau, I agree that Paul Ford has the edge over him in this role. I think Matthau tends to go off into parody too much while Ford manages to keep the character human.

• Like 1