Sign in to follow this  
jakeem

Robin Quivers

13 posts in this topic

Howard Stern's longtime radio sidekick Robin Quivers is TCM's Guest Programmer for March 2015, and her selections are very mainstream, including "A Place in the Sun" (1951) and "A Raisin in the Sun" (1961). Can you imagine the movies that Howard would have asked for?

Did Howard talk about Robin's stint on TCM this morning on Sirius Radio?

Not sure-- but I am unimpressed with the selection of films airing tonight. I wish TCM would encourage the guest programmers to think outside the box a bit more. I can't imagine that TCM's longtime, faithful viewers would be much interested in tonight's schedule of overplayed titles. And what is Quivers going to add during the commentary to make folks look at the films in a fresh, new way...? I hate to say it, but this is probably a skip-TCM night for a lot of people.

Not sure-- but I am unimpressed with the selection of films airing tonight. I wish TCM would encourage the guest programmers to think outside the box a bit more. I can't imagine that TCM's longtime, faithful viewers would be much interested in tonight's schedule of overplayed titles. And what is Quivers going to add during the commentary to make folks look at the films in a fresh, new way...? I hate to say it, but this is probably a skip-TCM night for a lot of people.

Why should the guest programmers have to think outside the box when TCM itself is showing the same ol' Essentials every weekend? If Robin Quivers loves "A Place in the Sun," "A Raisin in the Sun" and "Born Yesterday," then more power to her. They're all great films, but I'm more interested in hearing why they're important to her. And, of course, I'm curious to see if Howard Stern's name comes up in her conversations with Robert Osborne!

Why should the guest programmers have to think outside the box when TCM itself is showing the same ol' Essentials every weekend? If Robin Quivers loves "A Place in the Sun," "A Raisin in the Sun" and "Born Yesterday," then more power to her. They're all great films, but I'm more interested in hearing why they're important to her. And, of course, I'm curious to see if Howard Stern's name comes up in her conversations with Robert Osborne!

Not sure if name dropping in the wraparounds is a real reason to watch a classic film on TCM...obviously, the evening is for fans of the guest programmer and fans of the movies that the guest programmer has selected. How's that for a diplomatic answer...? :)

Not sure if name dropping in the wraparounds is a real reason to watch a classic film on TCM...obviously, the evening is for fans of the guest programmer and fans of the movies that the guest programmer has selected. How's that for a diplomatic answer...? :)

It's a real reason if one would like to see Stern become a guest programmer someday! Talk about must-see TV! And if you want thinking out of the box, you'd likely get that with "The King of All Media"!

It's a real reason if one would like to see Stern become a guest programmer someday! Talk about must-see TV! And if you want thinking out of the box, you'd likely get that with "The King of All Media"!

I've never listened to Stern's radio program. From what I've read about him, I don't think I would want to! But yes, he does seem like someone who might make a provocative choice or two as a guest programmer. However, there are plenty of other people, with real connections to classic Hollywood, that many would like to see sitting across from Robert before it's too late.

Well, if we're going down Stern Boulevard.. I'd like to recommend Doug "The Greaseman" Tracht as guest host. I much prefer his routine to Howard's.

Another reason the Guest Programmer slot (along with The Essentials) is old hat. The same retreads over and over again. Not really interested in what someone will say in 2 minutes to make me watch something I've seen umpteen times again......

• Like 1

While I agree with pretty much all that has been said in this thread, I just want to say I always thought Robin possesses one of the most mellifluous voices heard over any media source.

(...jus' sayin')

While I agree with pretty much all that has been said in this thread, I just want to say I always thought Robin possesses one of the most mellifluous voices heard over any media source.

(...jus' sayin')

Agreed. That voice helps make her the perfect, down-to-Earth counterpoint to Stern's no-holds-barred, on-air personality. After her recent battle with cancer, it was nice to see her in fine form during her disussions with Robert Osborne on TCM.

I don't want to seem like a wise guy, but should being second banana to Howard Stern sufficient to merit guest programmer status?

I don't want to seem like a wise guy, but should being second banana to Howard Stern sufficient to merit guest programmer status?

Larry King used to say that his favorite interview subjects were people who could explain what they do very well. Robin did that -- and her explanations for her movie choices were entertaining and informative. I'm sure next month's guest programmer -- Mo Rocca, not exactly a househould name if you don't watch "CBS Sunday Morning" -- will be as entertaining and informative as Robin was.