TopBilled

Today's topic

1,575 posts in this topic

So, here we go again!

Is this thread about EARNST LUBITSCH,?

or.....HEAVEN CAN WAIT?

And....HOW many came in here expecting a discussion of the director?

Sepiatone

Sepiatone, the world is but a stage and some of us are mere players just...............playing...................a ................. part!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Speaking of a part, new to me was Anne of Green Gables today. Have to say I agree with Maltin for once, the beginning was charming, but the latter part of the movie was rushed.

Wonder what happened to Anne's final exams - did she skip them and not get her degree and become just a house wife and not pursue a career, you know, one of those who are grateful to have a husband and their higher education and independence be darned and in the event they get divorced THEN what do they do?

Yeah, I bet that's what happened.

Oh, and O.P. Heggie was new to me and Helen Westley I've seen before, but both were excellent. Sadly, they both died very young. I wonder how many excellent actors of the 1930s and 1940s died young, depriving us of many years of wonderful movies.

Well TB, gotta say here I have to agree a little bit with the sourpuss here, as I too find the idea that you're somehow "playing a part as TopBilled" just a LITTLE weird, dude!

HOWEVER, what say get off of THIS topic, as I now gotta question for ya here:

WHAT the hell is with this whole "Today's Topic: Index Only" thing? I THOUGHT we were going to discuss EITHER the movie "Heaven Can Wait" AND/OR director Ernst Lubitsch here today, HUH?!

(...I've always hated when the "regularly scheduled programming" is preempted for some reason, ya know!) LOL

;)

Apparently, Darg, it seems if you question top as to the WHAT or WHY, he says you're being negative!

Sepiatone

Apparently, Darg, it seems if you question top as to the WHAT or WHY, he says you're being negative!

Sepiatone

Yeah, but how is THAT any different than when his used-to-be good close friend the Sourpuss reacts when SHE reads somethin' SHE doesn't like, HUH?!!! LOL

(...btw...you don't have to answer this question...it was mostly offered up in a rhetorical manner, as I THINK most around these here parts know what I'm sayin' here!) ;)

Dargo,

I did post the HEAVEN CAN WAIT essay but then I removed it and put it on my blog. I realized it was the right decision when Sepia came on and bitched about it, without seeing that the whole point was to discuss Lubitsch's work on that film. 

Well, THAT'S a freakin' shame! "Cause I don't go to ANYBODY'S freakin' "blog", dude! Nope, as I'm sorry to see you took Sepia's thought to heart here and did what ya did. 'CAUSE, I'd have rather discussed Ernst and his flick HERE, dude!

And regarding the following and the rest of your previous post here:

I am tired of the rude posting on these threads. I don't feel I have to put up with it. And even your behavior goes back and forth-- now you are ticked at primos and me, finding opportunities to slam us both. I am sure in two days you will be friends with her again and you will still be going after me. You are making a conscious decision to attack, probably due to some residual bad feelings you have about our postings in the past. I don't want to figure it out really but that is my guess. 

It's always surprised me that as intelligent a gent as you are, you've never seemed to grasp the idea that I ALWAYS "calls 'em like I sees 'em", and REGARDLESS if the person OR persons who I might disagree with are a so-called "friend" or not!

Nope dude, AND, the idea that you've ALSO never picked up on the idea that while I MAY tweak a lot of noses of people who I THINK might deserve it, I NEVER EVER place that person on some kind'a freakin' list of people I won't continue to converse with IF I think they might later on have something of value to say OR have possibly made an intelligently observed point in passing! Nope, some kind of freakin' "Friend or Foe List"!

And something I feel is sometimes a position both you AND the Sourpuss have taken in the past AND often STILL do to this very freakin' DAY. 'cause I feel you're BOTH hyper-sensitive individuals...and given enough time, I KNOW I could find MANY examples of this prove to my point here. and with the ONLY difference being that YOU resort to this whole "oh, I've been SO hurt by what you've just said" thing, and with HER resorting to some kind'a "back against the wall" mentality!!!!

(...and I'm SO sorry if you think by my "tellin' it like I sees it" thing I do, you think it's being "negative"...saaaaay, MAYBE if you'd just think of "Dargo" as  "playing a character" around here, this MIGHT help you reconcile this whole thing in your head, EH?!)  

Dargo,

When you prefaced yesterday in a post of yours that you were about to say something I may not like, that told me you have your own auto-censor and you knew you were about to say something unpleasant but your persisted anyway. You were more interested in negative feelings and stirring up trouble instead of just letting bygones be bygones. I also did not like how you were advertising that we were now getting along. That's an immediate recipe for disaster as far as I'm concerned-- because it is drawing attention to problems we must have had in the past.

Well TB, regarding THIS, ya MIGHT wanna consider the wise words of one George Santayana(1863-1952) who once famously said:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it!"

And I believe this might also apply to people who not only "can not remember" but ALSO for those who choose to overlook the past too! Though, as I also pretty much stated earlier here, one CAN remember the past and even bring it up, but they shouldn't then expect another to go all APE-S**T when somebody else DOES brings up the past(and by "ape-s**t" I mean by NOT "cryin' about it being negative" and/or "all the hurt feelings" it might bring up) BUT by taking it in stride and perhaps accepting it as the FACT that it IS, and then MOVE the hell ON to the subject at hand and WITHOUT then taking it PERSONALLY!!! 

(...and so in THIS case, to talk about "HEAVEN CAN WAIT", dude!!!)

LOL

LOVED your "Life is a Lubitsch, and then you die" title there, TB! Did you think that up or see it someplace before? Either way, clever, dude!

And yeah, I don't recall ever seeing in any other movie where Satan was played as "benevolently" as the well cast Cregar played him here, and which of course helps keep this light romantic-comedy..well..."light on its feet", and which was always Lubitsch's forte.

In some kind of counter-intuitive and ironic manner, because of the way in which Satan is portrayed and Henry's(Ameche) ultimate fate, I always thought this film's ending might supply more "hope" for the audience and what they might think THEIR fate might be in some imagined "afterlife", than all the movies combined which press the point of a "fire and brimstone" waiting for us at the end of life.

(...though of course I'm sure many of the "Moralists" out there probably think this sends a "wrong message" to audiences...but to THAT I say, "Oh, LIGHTEN the f*** UP, people! This is ONLY a little story and just like YOUR little story is!") LOL

;)

• Like 1

LOL

LOVED your "Life is a Lubitsch, and then you die" title there, TB! Did you think that up or see it someplace before? Either way, clever, dude!

And yeah, I don't recall ever seeing in any other movie where Satan was played as "benevolently" as the well cast Cregar played him here, and which of course helps keeps this light romantic comedy..well..."light on its feet", and which was always Lubitsch's forte.

In some kind of counter-intuitive and ironic manner, because of the way in which Satan is portrayed and Henry's(Ameche) ultimate fate, I always thought this film's ending might supply more "hope" for the audience and what they might think THEIR fate might be in some imagined "afterlife", than all the movies combined which press the point of a "fire and brimstone" waiting for us at the end of life.

(...though of course I'm sure many of the "Moralists" out there probably think this sends a "wrong message" to audiences...but to THAT I say, "Oh, LIGHTEN the f*** UP, people! This is ONLY a little story and just like YOUR little story is!") LOL

;)

Thanks Dargo. I did think up the title, because I thought maybe I had been mispronouncing his name-- so a title was born. LOL 

I am going to do one in July, on the 4th, about Oliver Stone movies and it will be called American History Carved in Oliver Stone. So yeah, sometimes a clever catchy title helps! :)

I am not sure, but there may be other movies (though in all likelihood not horror movies) where Satan is not so evil. I believe there was an alternate ending for HEAVEN CAN WAIT, shot but certainly not used by the studio (Fox), where Ameche does not go all the way up to be with his wife. You're probably right that the ending had to be a little more comforting and hopeful, especially since this was made and released in the middle of the war. But it's safe to say that Lubitsch does explore it from both angles. And even the word purgatory is mentioned in the movie, which suggests a slightly Catholic take on the afterlife.

On another note, I read a review that said Charles Coburn who plays the irascible grandfather might have won an Oscar for his work here if he hadn't also done THE MORE THE MERRIER the same year.

• Like 1

Movie star autographs

Would you be able to figure out whose handwriting this might be?

1anna.png

Believe it or not, it belongs to Anna Magnani.

This guy liked to make curly C's and large K's:

1sigclark.png

Yes, it's ClarGable.

Here we have an actress who occasionally used her married name:

1siglucy.jpg

This actress also used her married named when writing her signature:

imgres-11.jpg

Without using her married name, she also scrawled it in cement:

images2.jpg

Some autographs evolve over time. See how the capital A, H and the lowercase n have changed:

1sigaudrey2.jpg

1sigaudrey.jpg

I like autographs that are written at an angle:

1sigkirk.png

1sigvirginia.png

And isn't this a great autograph...I don't know about you but I'm all shook up just looking at it!

1sigelvis.jpg

Bela Lugosi never gave autographs. :(

Is that true, Nipkow? You're not pulling our leg here, are you? I had never heard that before...

Is that true, Nipkow? You're not pulling our leg here, are you? I had never heard that before...

my barber has wall to wall golden age film star photos hanging everywhere in his shop and he told me Lugosi never signed autographs. :)

my barber has wall to wall golden age film star photos hanging everywhere in his shop and he told me Lugosi never signed autographs. :)

been to google and apparently my barber is wrong. heck, I just assumed he was right. :)

28k0ghj.jpg

• Like 1

I wish tcm would show The Great Morgan which I understand contains John Nesbitt's Passing Parade "our old car" :)

They aired it last year. Usually pops up on TCM every year or so. It also includes a musical number with Eleanor Powell that was cut out of one of her earlier pictures.