TopBilled

Ultimate GEORGE SANDERS thread

597 posts in this topic

George Sanders "Knocks My Socks Off" as well. We only wish that TCM would see the light!!!. I watched "The Picture of Dorian Gray" the other day, and even though I've seen it numerous times I still watch for

George's scenes....don't get me started on all his other movies.

I read a lot of Somerset Maugham and if ever there was a Somerset Maugham character, it is George Sanders.

• Like 2

Frankly, I'd be surprised if George ever was picked. I dont think TPTB consider him a big enough star...

The heresy of not considering George Sanders a big enough star to warrant a SOTM. If I have to put up with Jerry Lewis TCM can b#%^#y well feature George Sanders as a SOTM.

Where would All About Eve, Rebecca, Dorian Gray , Foreign Correspondent , Forever Amber and Confession of a Nazi Spy as well as Saturday morning favs The Falcon be without George. Even David Thomson gives George his due in his Biography of Films. And don't forget that wonderful "Village of the Dammed" with George giving the film some stature beyond the usual Sci Fi fare

• Like 1

The heresy of not considering George Sanders a big enough star to warrant a SOTM. If I have to put up with Jerry Lewis TCM can b#%^#y well feature George Sanders as a SOTM.

Where would All About Eve, Rebecca, Dorian Gray , Foreign Correspondent , Forever Amber and Confession of a Nazi Spy as well as Saturday morning favs The Falcon be without George. Even David Thomson gives George his due in his Biography of Films. And don't forget that wonderful "Village of the Dammed" with George giving the film some stature beyond the usual Sci Fi fare

You dont have to convince me, you have to convince TCM. I'm just sayin..........There are plenty of deserving bigger stars yet to get the honor for one reason or another. Not saying he wasnt a good actor or anything.

Sanders is definitely worthy of the tribute. He appeared in many high quality films.

screen-shot-2015-02-09-at-2-50-49-pm.png

I would also mention as part of the must-see George Sanders list-- THE HOUSE OF SEVEN GABLES, where he is top-billed over Margaret Lindsay, Dick Foran and Vincent Price. It's a Universal thriller from 1940 that has aired before on TCM.

screen-shot-2015-02-09-at-2-50-10-pm.png

You dont have to convince me, you have to convince TCM. I'm just sayin..........There are plenty of deserving bigger stars yet to get the honor for one reason or another. Not saying he wasnt a good actor or anything.

Well I believe Emily created a straw man;  I don't recall anyone at this forum saying Sander wasn't a big enough or deserving star to be honored for SOTM.    

What was stated and is a fact,  is that Sanders wasn't the leading man in the highest quality movies in his film legacy (e.g. All About Eve,  Dorian Gray,  Rebecca,   Foreign Correspondent, etc... ).     

The movies where he was the leading man are not, per se,  'great' movies.      

BUT the above is why I believe TCM should honor him as SOTM since there are so many ways TCM could feature him.    e.g. one night of Sanders as the cad,   Sanders as the leading man,   Sanders in period films,   Sander in Noir and mystery films etc....  

There are not a lot of actors with a film legacy like Sanders and that makes for an interesting SOTM.   

• Like 1

Well I believe Emily created a straw man;  I don't recall anyone at this forum saying Sander wasn't a big enough or deserving star to be honored for SOTM.    

What was stated and is a fact,  is that Sanders wasn't the leading man in the highest quality movies in his film legacy (e.g. All About Eve,  Dorian Gray,  Rebecca,   Foreign Correspondent, etc... ).     

The movies where he was the leading man are not, per se,  'great' movies.      

BUT the above is why I believe TCM should honor him as SOTM since there are so many ways TCM could feature him.    e.g. one night of Sanders as the cad,   Sanders as the leading man,   Sanders in period films,   Sander in Noir and mystery films etc....  

There are not a lot of actors with a film legacy like Sanders and that makes for an interesting SOTM.   

We'll see if they ever come around..........I doubt it. SUTS, yes.

I've been thinking about this topic, because we have not yet found out who will be honored in July.

Also, it occurred to me that with several of the selections so far this year (Ann Sothern, Sterling Hayden and Anthony Quinn), we have people who played leads but became more known for their work as character actors. So George Sanders would definitely fit in with that, if the trend continues...fingers crossed.

I've been thinking about this topic, because we have not yet found out who will be honored in July.

Also, it occurred to me that with several of the selections so far this year (Ann Sothern, Sterling Hayden and Anthony Quinn), we have people who played leads but became more known for their work as character actors. So George Sanders would definitely fit in with that, if the trend continues...fingers crossed.

I think we'll more likely see Sanders honored on August 1, kicking off Summer Under the Stars with that week's Essential THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR.

I think we'll more likely see Sanders honored on August 1, kicking off Summer Under the Stars with that week's Essential THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR.

A strong possibility. Unless they are honoring Gene Tierney again.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if George ever was picked. I dont think TPTB consider him a big enough star...

But they think Sterling Hayden is????

Lydecker

But they think Sterling Hayden is????

Lydecker

Sterling Hayden's a perfectly legit choice, but Sanders is the most blatantly overlooked star of them all.  Long career, great actor, splendid in a variety of roles.  So he wasn't ever a romantic lead, so what?

• Like 2

Sterling Hayden's a perfectly legit choice, but Sanders is the most blatantly overlooked star of them all.  Long career, great actor, splendid in a variety of roles.  So he wasn't ever a romantic lead, so what?

Of course Sanders is a legit choice as was Hayden.    To me it is folly to assume TBTB have made an actual choice to reject Sanders as SOTM.    Instead what is far more likely is they just haven't gotten around to it.    But clearly it is long overdue.

• Like 1

I don't think there is any contest between George Sanders and Sterling Hayden.  Sanders should have been SOTM years before they got around to the likes of Sterling Hayden.  Of course, I am constantly amazed that they keep repeating SOTMs, sometimes as often as 3-4 times, when there are many worthy candidates they haven't even gotten around to yet  --  like George Sanders, like Joan Blondell.

Lydecker

• Like 1

If George Sanders is selected as July's SOTM perhaps TCM will find some of his more obscure films to air.  There's no shortage of movies where George had a substantive part. 

I believe his last released film was PSYCHOMANIA (1973-British), but I don't know if it was the last movie he filmed.  ENDLESS NIGHT and DOOMWATCH were both released in 1972 so it could have been one of those two. 

I've seen DOOMWATCH one time but it's been so long I can't remember very much about it; I've never seen ENDLESS NIGHT. 

PSYCHOMANIA is so weird it's hard to tell how good or bad it is.  I watched it less than a year ago and I need to watch it again cos I know I missed some of the weird stuff; there were so many offbeat scenes it was hard to keep track.  Hell, maybe the movie even makes sense.  It could have!  There's a frog that figures prominently in the plot.  I think it would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall when the makers of this film were discussing the script.  If anyone reading this has not seen "Psychomania" you owe it to yourself to watch this movie once!  Yow.   

As for George Sanders 'tis a pity he got bored and killed himself.  I'd hate to think sometime in the future if I reach 65 I'd be so numb to life I'd want to take myself out. 

• Like 1

I don't think there is any contest between George Sanders and Sterling Hayden.  Sanders should have been SOTM years before they got around to the likes of Sterling Hayden.  Of course, I am constantly amazed that they keep repeating SOTMs, sometimes as often as 3-4 times, when there are many worthy candidates they haven't even gotten around to yet  --  like George Sanders, like Joan Blondell.

Lydecker

I'm not questioning that Sanders would be the better choice.  In fact I've always said Sanders and Susan Hayward are the two most glaring omissions in the SOTM roster, unless you include foreign stars like Mifune or Gabin, who are in an entirely different category and would cost TCM a lot more dough* to honor. 

All I'm saying is that there've been worse choices than Hayden.  Anthony Quinn, for one, although I understand that 100th birthday babies will always get an extra noodge.

*As in "dough, and lots of it"

All I'm saying is that there've been worse choices than Hayden.  Anthony Quinn, for one, although I understand that 100th birthday babies will always get an extra noodge.

I hear you.  And what is worse is that Quinn is also a SOTM repeater.  

I hear you.  And what is worse is that Quinn is also a SOTM repeater.  

It didn't hurt that Quinn's widow was able to help present the first evening of films. I don't have a problem with them choosing Quinn, but I think they could have used a few more of his pictures from outside studios. Especially THE BUCCANEER which he directed at Paramount under the supervision of his father-in-law Cecil DeMille. I don't understand how a major 100th birthday tribute can occur without that, because it was a milestone, a big turning point in Quinn's Hollywood career.

Please, Please OH TCM programmers make this be true.  I have waited so long for a George Sanders month to recognize the actor who is able to epitomize the term "Cad" just by walking into a room.  Here's hoping with fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

Please, Please OH TCM programmers make this be true.  I have waited so long for a George Sanders month to recognize the actor who is able to epitomize the term "Cad" just by walking into a room.  Here's hoping with fingers crossed. 

Like this item. :)

I am again commenting on this post to keep it in the front of the numerous bloggers and TCM followers so that it will not be buried.  I sincerely hope the TCM staff charged with maintaining this pile of information stay tuned to our various topics and take the front runners to the "deciders" at TCM.

So keep on kvetching for George and those other unsung stars so sorely overlooked by the programmers:

James Gleason

Mary Wickes

Frank McHugh

Edward Everett Horton

Eric Blore

Monty Wooley

Roland Young

Thelma Ritter

and my all time favourite:  EVE ARDEN

If we are ever sucessful in getting George as a SOTM then I am going to begin to lobby for an EVE ARDEN SOTM.

I may even be so bold as to start a topic...Character Actor of the Month (COTM).

• Like 2

I am again commenting on this post to keep it in the front of the numerous bloggers and TCM followers so that it will not be buried.  I sincerely hope the TCM staff charged with maintaining this pile of information stay tuned to our various topics and take the front runners to the "deciders" at TCM.

So keep on kvetching for George and those other unsung stars so sorely overlooked by the programmers:

James Gleason

Mary Wickes

Frank McHugh

Edward Everett Horton

Eric Blore

Monty Wooley

Roland Young

Thelma Ritter

and my all time favourite:  EVE ARDEN

If we are ever sucessful in getting George as a SOTM then I am going to begin to lobby for an EVE ARDEN SOTM.

I may even be so bold as to start a topic...Character Actor of the Month (COTM).

Eve Arden would be a perfect choice for a Summer Under the Stars tribute. Thelma Ritter was honored last August.

• Like 1

Eve Arden would be a perfect choice for a Summer Under the Stars tribute. Thelma Ritter was honored last August.

Well then let us lobby for a Character under the Stars tribute, say November, that usually is a dull enough month, or maybe March when there isn't much else going on.   Anything so I don't have to see the "usual suspects" in August.