TopBilled

Ultimate GEORGE SANDERS thread

597 posts in this topic

Well then let us lobby for a Character under the Stars tribute, say November, that usually is a dull enough month, or maybe March when there isn't much else going on.   Anything so I don't have to see the "usual suspects" in August.

TCM seems to have a lot of its programming patterned a certain way. I am sure they will not rock the boat too much, so to speak. I am glad they began featuring some well-deserving character actors and actresses in August the past few years...and I hope the trend continues. As I said in the previous post, Eve Arden is definitely a worthy candidate for a day-long tribute.

TCM seems to have a lot of its programming patterned a certain way. I am sure they will not rock the boat too much, so to speak. I am glad they began featuring some well-deserving character actors and actresses in August the past few years...and I hope the trend continues. As I said in the previous post, Eve Arden is definitely a worthy candidate for a day-long tribute.

Well first it just isn't true that this list of actors is overlooked by the programmers (as in TCM rarely shows movies with these actors):

James Gleason

Mary Wickes

Frank McHugh

Edward Everett Horton

Eric Blore

Monty Wooley

Roland Young

Thelma Ritter

Eve Arden

TCM shows movies all the time with these actors.    One basic reason is that many of them were Warner or MGM contract players and \ or actors that were in many films from other studios TCM tends to feature.      

What is true is that TCM rarely holds a tribute for supporting players.   Yea, it would be nice if TCM did that (e.g. SUTS featuring only supporting players would be great),  but the reality is that these actors are feature more than say,  Susan Hayward since the majority of her films were for 20th Century Fox, a  studio TCM doesn't feature. 

What is true is that TCM rarely holds a tribute for supporting players.   Yea, it would be nice if TCM did that (e.g. SUTS featuring only supporting players would be great),  but the reality is that these actors are feature more than say,  Susan Hayward since the majority of her films were for 20th Century Fox, a  studio TCM doesn't feature. 

I have a feeling you were replying more to Janet than me-- but I am wondering what you meant-- that the character actor tributes are not as important as giving Hayward her due? But they do play Susan Hayward films from time to time, so technically she is not totally neglected.

I have a feeling you were replying more to Janet than me-- but I am wondering what you meant-- that the character actor tributes are not as important as giving Hayward her due? But they do play Susan Hayward films from time to time, so technically she is not totally neglected.

I don't really see the need for any tribute to an actor,  but I understand from a marketing angle why stations do this (I favor programming that is more genre or theme based than actor based).    My point was that for leading actors it often takes a tribute for a movie station to show films associated with leading actors.   E.g. Get-TV is featuring Melvin Douglas every Thursday in April.    Without this tribute Get-TV wouldn't be showing many,  if any, films featuring Douglas during April.

But with supporting players we get to see them regardless of if there is a tribute or not.    Take any of those supporting players mentioned,  most will be in some of the films TCM shows this month.     Therefore the odds are higher that we get to see our favorite supporting players more so than leading players expect for the star that is SOTM  (this is especially true of stars that are the same gender as the star that is SOTM,  since most movies feature a male and female leading player).

I don't really see the need for any tribute to an actor,  but I understand from a marketing angle why stations do this (I favor programming that is more genre or theme based than actor based).    My point was that for leading actors it often takes a tribute for a movie station to show films associated with leading actors.   E.g. Get-TV is featuring Melvin Douglas every Thursday in April.    Without this tribute Get-TV wouldn't be showing many,  if any, films featuring Douglas during April.

But with supporting players we get to see them regardless of if there is a tribute or not.    Take any of those supporting players mentioned,  most will be in some of the films TCM shows this month.     Therefore the odds are higher that we get to see our favorite supporting players more so than leading players expect for the star that is SOTM  (this is especially true of stars that are the same gender as the star that is SOTM,  since most movies feature a male and female leading player).

I do see what you are saying. You are looking at overall exposure. 

But I think some fans (and probably relatives and friends of the deceased honorees) like the idea of an actor or director being spotlighted, since their work is being recognized as significant on some level-- marketing angles aside.

I do see what you are saying. You are looking at overall exposure. 

But I think some fans (and probably relatives and friends of the deceased honorees) like the idea of an actor or director being spotlighted, since their work is being recognized as significant on some level-- marketing angles aside.

I do understand the spotlight angle,  and there has been many cases where I have discovered an actor that I wasn't too familiar with and became a major fan of thanks to a tribute  (e.g.  Eleanor Parker).      Those that have been into studio-era movies for decades may not be as interested in a tribute for a well known star since we have seen most of the movies featured. 

This is why I like themed based programming like the second-look series with Illeana Douglas (hey got another Douglas in here!),   since it showcased movies I hadn't seen before or appreciated as much.     

Now what I like about Get-TV tributes (they tend to feature a few films for a star on their birthday or with this Douglas type special), is that the films are mostly Columbia films.    Man,  there are so many Columbia films I have yet to see.  So many!    There rarely is a so called Turner film I haven't seen after decades of watching TCM.     So even with the commercials,   I find myself watching these Columbia gems.

• Like 1

I do understand the spotlight angle,  and there has been many cases where I have discovered an actor that I wasn't too familiar with and became a major fan of thanks to a tribute  (e.g.  Eleanor Parker).      Those that have been into studio-era movies for decades may not be as interested in a tribute for a well known star since we have seen most of the movies featured. 

This is why I like themed based programming like the second-look series with Illeana Douglas (hey got another Douglas in here!),   since it showcased movies I hadn't seen before or appreciated as much.     

Now what I like about Get-TV tributes (they tend to feature a few films for a star on their birthday or with this Douglas type special), is that the films are mostly Columbia films.    Man,  there are so many Columbia films I have yet to see.  So many!    There rarely is a so called Turner film I haven't seen after decades of watching TCM.     So even with the commercials,   I find myself watching these Columbia gems.

I don't have GET-TV unfortunately, since Charter cable in my area does not carry it.

In my opinion, the Friday Night Spotlight hosted by Illeana Douglas was probably one of the best. 

I am posting on this blog just to keep it front of everyone's attention...those who are infatuated with the out and out "cad" appeal of George Sanders.  So come on TCM programmers get out of your comfort zone.

I am posting on this blog just to keep it front of everyone's attention...those who are infatuated with the out and out "cad" appeal of George Sanders.  So come on TCM programmers get out of your comfort zone.

Someone earlier in the thread said he will be a Summer Under the Stars honoree. I guess we will see...but I do feel a whole month for him would be spectacular.

Someone earlier in the thread said he will be a Summer Under the Stars honoree. I guess we will see...but I do feel a whole month for him would be spectacular.

Couldn't agree more. George Sanders deserves an entire month. And, preferably, one with five Wednesdays in it!

Considering that TCM is starting to show some Disney movies, wouldn't it be a hoot for The Jungle Book (1967) to be part of that month? He was the ideal voice for Shere Khan.

I couldn't agree with Liam Casey more...five Wednesdays of George would be fantastic and I know there are enough movies.  I read his biography and really enjoyed it...I felt sorry for him toward the end of his life when he just didn't seem to fit in.

When ever I read a Somerset Maughm book or story there is always a character in it that George would have suited to a "T".  Let's keep pushing and make these programmers understand who pays the cable bills so that TCM is available.  Especially since you cannot watch TCM streaming unless you are a cable subscriber.  

Wouldn't you say George Sanders and George C. Scott were similar to a degree?

They had the same initials. But I wouldn't say they had the same performance styles.

I think of Rex Harrison as being similar to George Sanders.  I don't think of George C. Scott being similar to George Sanders much at all.   

I think of Rex Harrison as being similar to George Sanders.  I don't think of George C. Scott being similar to George Sanders much at all.   

Yes, I think that is a more apt comparison. And of course, Sanders resembles actor Tom Conway, who was his older brother.

Personally I think there is only one George Sanders.   I cannot for the life of me remember a time when either Rex Harrison or George. C. Scott always entered into a movie and I instantly identified them as a "cad".  Rex may have been a "snobbish Etonian" but George C. Scott never had that element of "suave" required for the roles that George and Rex Harrsion inhabited. 

Keep the post up...we need George Sanders as a SOTM.  Note too, tonight he is appearing with Rex in the "Ghost and Mrs. Muir". 

Personally I think there is only one George Sanders.   I cannot for the life of me remember a time when either Rex Harrison or George. C. Scott always entered into a movie and I instantly identified them as a "cad".  Rex may have been a "snobbish Etonian" but George C. Scott never had that element of "suave" required for the roles that George and Rex Harrsion inhabited. 

Keep the post up...we need George Sanders as a SOTM.  Note too, tonight he is appearing with Rex in the "Ghost and Mrs. Muir". 

Also, THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR is scheduled as an Essential the first Saturday in August, leading some to believe Sanders will be a SUTS honoree. Not sure about that...we'll see, yes?

screen-shot-2015-02-15-at-12-13-41-pm.pn

...we need George Sanders as a SOTM.  Note too, tonight he is appearing with Rex in the "Ghost and Mrs. Muir". 

I am watching now, Emily. An interesting thing happened to me...the first moment he appeared on screen I felt this warmth. It's like you automatically know a picture's quality has been elevated 150% by his sheer presence in it.

• Like 1

OMG, so true. I loved the man, even at the end, when he looked like a heavier Errol Flynn.

I can't see anyone as dirtier and more evil than George to the drop dead gorgeous Gene Tierney in Ghost and Mrs. Muir. The stinkin' coward doesn't even face her after she finds out he had a wife and kids. Good that she saw him as a fat stupid drunk later on.

Better a dead Rex Harrison than a live George.

Hah - were it not that George went to h e double hockey sticks, imagine how Rex would have knocked his block off in the afterlife?

He was also wonderful in Foreign Correspondent, as was my other love Robert Benchley.

• Like 1

OMG, so true. I loved the man, even at the end, when he looked like a heavier Errol Flynn.

I can't see anyone as dirtier and more evil than George to the drop dead gorgeous Gene Tierney in Ghost and Mrs. Muir. The stinkin' coward doesn't even face her after she finds out he had a wife and kids. Good that she saw him as a fat stupid drunk later on.

Better a dead Rex Harrison than a live George.

Hah - were it not that George went to h e double hockey sticks, imagine how Rex would have knocked his block off in the afterlife?

He was also wonderful in Foreign Correspondent, as was my other love Robert Benchley.

I still view TGAMM as a cop out as it relates to Mrs. Muir and her never having a loving relationship with an actual human being.

I.e. there are more options in life,  especially for a woman as beautiful as Gene was in this film, than a dead Rex or live George.

I still view TGAMM as a cop out as it relates to Mrs. Muir and her never having a loving relationship with an actual human being.

I.e. there are more options in life,  especially for a woman as beautiful as Gene was in this film, than a dead Rex or live George.

Right. I think she's miscast in this film. That ending would have been more believable with someone like Dorothy McGuire, who usually played more homely but still youthful-looking women. 

I mean, Tierney is about as miscast in the role of Mrs. Muir as Mae West would be in a story about a virgin.

Gene.chose to remove herself from "polite" society, fleeing her in-laws after.her widowhood, to live.in isolation along the coast. Her one opportunity for love, that she allowed herself, turns out disastrously for her. She then chooses to forgo earthly male companionship. Years later, she tells her daughter she wasn't lonely.and didn't miss (out on) anything.

I can see that story arc as totally believable. I know quite a few women, and some men, who gave up searching for a partner after a bad relationship or experience, whether they were drop dead gorgeous or not. Tierney is perfectly cast in this; her looks have nothing to do with the believability of her choices.

• Like 1

Gene.chose to remove herself from "polite" society, fleeing her in-laws after.her widowhood, to live.in isolation along the coast. Her one opportunity for love, that she allowed herself, turns out disastrously for her. She then chooses to forgo earthly male companionship. Years later, she tells her daughter she wasn't lonely.and didn't miss (out on) anything.

I can see that story arc as totally believable. I know quite a few women, and some men, who gave up searching for a partner after a bad relationship or experience, whether they were drop dead gorgeous or not. Tierney is perfectly cast in this; her looks have nothing to do with the believability of her choices.

I didn't say the story line of deciding to 'give up' wasn't realistic but I still say it is a cop out (in film and in real life).

Instead I support the advice of Fred and Ginger (well Kern really);   pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again.  :D

I didn't say the story line of deciding to 'give up' wasn't realistic but I still say it is a cop out (in film and in real life).

Instead I support the advice of Fred and Ginger (well Kern really);   pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again.  :D

I agree james. Tierney is definitely miscast as Mrs. Muir. We know that a woman with her looks and charm would find a new man the following Monday and be married on Tuesday. The only way the movie works with her in the role is if she's already dead and she's the ghost, but we we can see by the way the story is titled, that is not so.