TopBilled

Ultimate GEORGE SANDERS thread

597 posts in this topic

I agree james. Tierney is definitely miscast as Mrs. Muir. We know that a woman with her looks and charm would find a new man the following Monday and be married on Tuesday. The only way the movie works with her in the role is if she's already dead and she's the ghost, but we we can see by the way the story is titled, that is not so.

Quite true. But miscast? I don't think so. She is transplendent in the part, at least for me. That last shot? Gets me every time.

But as to her not having men fall all over her? Of course. Same for the 'alternate' universe of Bedford Falls. No George Bailey and Donna Reed is suddenly ugly? Come on. What happened to hee haw what's his name?

But are there women who think there is only one man out there for them, and give up on life if he dumps them or dies? You betcha.

Oh, almost forgot - is there a SUTS tribute to George?

Quite true. But miscast? I don't think so. She is transplendent in the part, at least for me. That last shot? Gets me every time.

But as to her not having men fall all over her? Of course. Same for the 'alternate' universe of Bedford Falls. No George Bailey and Donna Reed is suddenly ugly? Come on. What happened to hee haw what's his name?

But are there women who think there is only one man out there for them, and give up on life if he dumps them or dies? You betcha.

Oh, almost forgot - is there a SUTS tribute to George?

Good point(s). Just something about the way it's presented in MRS. MUIR doesn't ring true, in my opinion.

As for Sanders--

Recently, in another thread, a TCM Programmer responded to a few questions. I saw an opportunity and quickly private messaged him/her. I sent an impassioned plea for making George Sanders Star of the Month, gave what I felt were strong reasons, and then provided a few suggestions for films featuring Sanders that are in the TCM Library.

Let's hope I was able to make some headway... LOL

Good point(s). Just something about the way it's presented in MRS. MUIR doesn't ring true, in my opinion.

As for Sanders--

Recently, in another thread, a TCM Programmer responded to a few questions. I saw an opportunity and quickly private messaged him/her. I sent an impassioned plea for making George Sanders Star of the Month, gave what I felt were strong reasons, and then provided a few suggestions for films featuring Sanders that are in the TCM Library.

Let's hope I was able to make some headway... LOL

Hope so. He can do slimy soooo well (Ghost and...) and hail fellow well met equally well (Foreign Correspondent). 

Wish he knew just how good he was before he exited this world.

Hope so. He can do slimy soooo well (Ghost and...) and hail fellow well met equally well (Foreign Correspondent). 

Wish he knew just how good he was before he exited this world.

The other day TCM aired THE MAN WHO COULD WORK MIRACLES, a late 30s British production based on an H.G. Wells story. There are three gods who discuss Roland Young's fate in the movie. One of them is a very young George Sanders, right before he came to Hollywood. The voice was unmistakable and you couldn't miss him. I had never seen him so young on film, and it was exciting to watch-- knowing what great stuff was just around the corner for him.

I've updated the title of the thread, to reflect our wishes for September's schedule...

:)

The other day TCM aired THE MAN WHO COULD WORK MIRACLES, a late 30s British production based on an H.G. Wells story. There are three gods who discuss Roland Young's fate in the movie. One of them is a very young George Sanders, right before he came to Hollywood. The voice was unmistakable and you couldn't miss him. I had never seen him so young on film, and it was exciting to watch-- knowing what great stuff was just around the corner for him.

Yes. I too was surprised to see him in this movie, his name was 'Indifference'. I didn't catch the names of the other gods (Gods?), but it was nice to see him. 

Loved the movie, with one quibble - if I were Roland, I would have asked for a gazillion dollars before I wished away the power.

• Like 1

Yes. I too was surprised to see him in this movie, his name was 'Indifference'. I didn't catch the names of the other gods (Gods?), but it was nice to see him. 

Loved the movie, with one quibble - if I were Roland, I would have asked for a gazillion dollars before I wished away the power.

Smart. Yes, I would have done that too! Except maybe I'd up it to two gazillion. LOL

A 'Star of the Month' selection for GEORGE SANDERS would be like like Anthony Quinn and John Wayne in that there's oodles of movies to pick from.  TCM should have no trouble finding enough movies where George had a prominent part to air. 

Hopefully George will snag September.  :) 

A 'Star of the Month' selection for GEORGE SANDERS would be like like Anthony Quinn and John Wayne in that there's oodles of movies to pick from.  TCM should have no trouble finding enough movies where George had a prominent part to air. 

Hopefully George will snag September.  :) 

We should find out the September schedule within a week. Personally, I think George's body of films would work better for October-- titles like REBECCA and PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY. And DEATH OF A SCOUNDREL too.

If George Sanders gets a 'SOTM' tribute in October I think a nice choice of movie to air on Oct. 31 would be 'PSYCHOMANIA'.  Dead bikers, resurrected bikers, a frog demon (or something like it), lots of weird violence around the English countryside and George as the family butler . . . or is he?   GAWD is "Psychomania" weird!  But watchable!   

• Like 1

If George Sanders gets a 'SOTM' tribute in October I think a nice choice of movie to air on Oct. 31 would be 'PSYCHOMANIA'.  Dead bikers, resurrected bikers, a frog demon (or something like it), lots of weird violence around the English countryside and George as the family butler . . . or is he?   GAWD is "Psychomania" weird!  But watchable!   

Was it his last film? One of the last ones, at least.

I think PSYCHOMANIA was the last movie George Sanders filmed.  I don't know if it was the last movie of his that was released.  I'm guessing Psychomania was released in the UK before it's release in the U.S. as it was a British-made movie, but it's not guaranteed.  "DOOMWATCH" and "ENDLESS NIGHT" were a couple other late-career movies. 

• Like 1

I think PSYCHOMANIA was the last movie George Sanders filmed.  I don't know if it was the last movie of his that was released.  I'm guessing Psychomania was released in the UK before it's release in the U.S. as it was a British-made movie, but it's not guaranteed.  "DOOMWATCH" and "ENDLESS NIGHT" were a couple other late-career movies. 

I haven't heard of those others-- thanks for mentioning them.

I sincerely hope we find out what the September schedule will be, during the upcoming week.

imgres11.jpg

I hope even more that our man in Hollywood, one infinitely great George Sanders, has been selected as TCM's Star of the Month.

• Like 1

I sincerely hope we find out what the September schedule will be, during the upcoming week.

imgres11.jpg

I hope even more that our man in Hollywood, one infinitely great George Sanders, has been selected as TCM's Star of the Month.

I agree.

I agree.

Me, too, but when Sanders finally gets his long overdue SOTM tribute, I sure hope that they leave out Man Hunt. B)

Me, too, but when Sanders finally gets his long overdue SOTM tribute, I sure hope that they leave out Man Hunt. B)

Andy,

I didn't realize you were among the non-fans of MAN HUNT. Is it really that awful..? It has Joan Bennett, after all! :)

If GEORGE SANDERS is named SOTM for September and if TCM foregoes another airing of 'MAN HUNT' they could air his 1969 movie 'THE CANDY MAN'.  I've never seen it.  I believe it was filmed in Mexico City.

Andy,

I didn't realize you were among the non-fans of MAN HUNT. Is it really that awful..? It has Joan Bennett, after all! :)

Hmmmm..........never seen it.

If GEORGE SANDERS is named SOTM for September and if TCM foregoes another airing of 'MAN HUNT' they could air his 1969 movie 'THE CANDY MAN'.  I've never seen it.  I believe it was filmed in Mexico City.

I'd almost prefer they wait to fete him in October. I think the darker themes of some of his films would work better for a month with Halloween in it. 

I've never seen THE CANDY MAN. A late career film of Sanders' I love is John Huston's THE KREMLIN LETTER from 1970. Of all things, Sanders plays a drag queen in it.

I guess if we don't find out about the September schedule tomorrow (Friday) we'll have to wait till Monday the 15th.

It is the 100th birthday of Ingrid Bergman in September. TCM gave her a day in August-- so would they give her a whole month right afterward...?

If so, they could play RAGE IN HEAVEN, which costars George Sanders. :)

• Like 1

Andy,

Joan Bennett is the sole reason to watch that movie.  She's terrific, but the film is strictly warmed over Swanson's*.  It's the one time George Sanders seems to be just going through the motions, and you know what a fan I am of him.

*And that's warmed over Swanson's as in TV Dinners, not Gloria.

0901_010402.jpg

The movie's also a turkey.

• Like 1

Joan Bennett is the sole reason to watch that movie.  She's terrific, but the film is strictly warmed over Swanson's*.  It's the one time George Sanders seems to be just going through the motions, and you know what a fan I am of him.

*And that's warmed over Swanson's as in TV Dinners, not Gloria.

0901_010402.jpg

The movie's also a turkey.

Very funny. I didn't watch MAN HUNT recently on TCM. I have a copy of it...maybe I will have to re-watch it to see if it's as good/bad as I remember.

I guess if we don't find out about the September schedule tomorrow (Friday) we'll have to wait till Monday the 15th.

It is the 100th birthday of Ingrid Bergman in September. TCM gave her a day in August-- so would they give her a whole month right afterward...?

If so, they could play RAGE IN HEAVEN, which costars George Sanders. :)

Coming up to the 15th, I wonder if TCM is working on this.