TopBilled

Ultimate GEORGE SANDERS thread

597 posts in this topic

Not for me.  They must know that I don't approve of Niven.  Maybe they'll get around to Sanders on the 100th anniversary of his death, after they've honored Al Jolson and every member of the Mickey Mouse Club.

HAH! Good one.

I have nothing against David Niven, but he was the SOTM in December 2003.Why can`t TCM give the honor to an actor who hasn`t been chosen before?

I have nothing against David Niven, but he was the SOTM in December 2003.Why can`t TCM give the honor to an actor who hasn`t been chosen before?

Well, repeats happen all the time, but I agree. They have been choosing some first timers now and then, but a lot of the usual suspect repeaters are chosen............

Well, repeats happen all the time, but I agree. They have been choosing some first timers now and then, but a lot of the usual suspect repeaters are chosen............

The repeats that bug me most are the already overplayed/over-exposed stars like Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. I love them and appreciate them like the next film buff, but sometimes enough is enough-- there are other people with substantial careers that deserve recognition.

And you can probably count out November and several more months after that, since it's unlikely they would tribute two English people that close together. You guys are right, this stinks.

Sanders may have a shot in November. I am sure that December will go to Frank Sinatra, since it is the 100th year since his birth. 

And we will probably get Olivia de Havilland as Star of the Month next July when she turns 100, especially if she is still living.

The repeats that bug me most are the already overplayed/over-exposed stars like Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. I love them and appreciate them like the next film buff, but sometimes enough is enough-- there are other people with substantial careers that deserve recognition.

If you ask me, there ought to be a minimum two year moratorium placed on tributes to the following people on TCM:

Bette Davis

Joan Crawford

Cary Grant

John Wayne

Katharine Hepburn

Barbara Stanwyck

I like the work of all of those people and some of them appeared in my favorite movies, but there are other very worthy performers whose careers merit the attention of TCM.

Having said that, so far as SOTM repeats go, you could do far worse that David Niven. He is an odd choice for October though. With films like THE BISHOP'S WIFE and others of its ilk to his credit, he seems like a more logical choice for a SOTM tribute in December.

• Like 2

If you ask me, there ought to be a minimum two year moratorium placed on tributes to the following people on TCM:

Bette Davis

Joan Crawford

Cary Grant

John Wayne

Katharine Hepburn

Barbara Stanwyck

Completely agree. If you lived under a rock your whole life and just crawled out and started watching TCM, you would think there were only six movie stars from the golden age of Hollywood. 

• Like 1

Bette Davis

Joan Crawford

Cary Grant

John Wayne

Katharine Hepburn

Barbara Stanwyck

I like the work of all of those people and some of them appeared in my favorite movies, but there are other very worthy performers whose careers merit the attention of TCM.

Having said that, so far as SOTM repeats go, you could do far worse that David Niven. He is an odd choice for October though. With films like THE BISHOP'S WIFE and others of its ilk to his credit, he seems like a more logical choice for a SOTM tribute in December.

I love Stairway to Heaven, I wonder if someone thought it was ghoulish?

• Like 2

Bette Davis

Joan Crawford

Cary Grant

John Wayne

Katharine Hepburn

Barbara Stanwyck

I like the work of all of those people and some of them appeared in my favorite movies, but there are other very worthy performers whose careers merit the attention of TCM

I completely agree with this thought, even though I'm a big fan of all of those names except for Wayne.  Too much of a good thing is still too much.

I completely agree with this thought, even though I'm a big fan of all of those names except for Wayne.  Too much of a good thing is still too much.

Yes, there's a reason they were big stars, household names, etc. But part of TCM's mission should be preserving film history-- and technically history covers all films made during those years, with all stars (and supporting players)-- including those who worked primarily at studios like Republic, Paramount and Universal.

Yes, there's a reason they were big stars, household names, etc. But part of TCM's mission should be preserving film history-- and technically history covers all films made during those years, with all stars (and supporting players)-- including those who worked primarily at studios like Republic, Paramount and Universal.

Quite true. But then, North by Northwest wouldn't be coming on tomorrow night.......................KIDDING! ;)

Quite true. But then, North by Northwest wouldn't be coming on tomorrow night.......................KIDDING! ;)

I am starting to wish we could pay someone to destroy the original negative for SOUTH BY SOUTHEAST. 

• Like 1

I've updated the thread title so it now says 'November.' Let's hope November brings us George Sanders fans some luck...

Time to refresh for the new month.

The campaign for George Sanders is more ambitious than ones floated seriously in the past. Maybe it was possible for Susan Hayward, but if Sanders were chosen it would be almost unprecedented. It would open up a plethora of possibilities for second leads, character actors and frequent villains to be chosen, also. No small step in the right direction, I'd say.

So, as unlikely I feel this campaign is, it's also quite significant as a bridge to more interesting choices overall. (Along with all that's been said about how spectacularly deserving he is, and such.)

We'll hope that TCM takes this seriously, and before long...

saint_takes_over.jpg

• Like 1

The campaign for George Sanders is more ambitious than ones floated seriously in the past. Maybe it was possible for Susan Hayward, but if Sanders were chosen it would be almost unprecedented. It would open up a plethora of possibilities for second leads, character actors and frequent villains to be chosen, also. No small step in the right direction, I'd say.

So, as unlikely I feel this campaign is, it's also quite significant as a bridge to more interesting choices overall. (Along with all that's been said about how spectacularly deserving he is, and such.)

saint_takes_over.jpg

I agree, Kay. With the plethora of good movies made by George, it's almost criminal that he is ignored.

• Like 1

saint_takes_over.jpg

Great post. I hadn't thought of it quite in the way you describe-- but yes, if Sanders is selected as Star of the Month on TCM, I agree that it will pave the way for other second leads to be so honored. Especially second leads that happen to be Oscar winners like Sanders.

I agree, Kay. With the plethora of good movies made by George, it's almost criminal that he is ignored.

The word "plethora" always reminds me of Howard Cosell, who also said "Down goes Frazier".............

• Like 1

The word "plethora" always reminds me of Howard Cosell, who also said "Down goes Frazier".............

You never did explain why you switched from being called 'finance' to 'DownGoesFrazier.' Perhaps I missed a post where you explained your transition...?

You never did explain why you switched from being called 'finance' to 'DownGoesFrazier.' Perhaps I missed a post where you explained your transition...?

I went, like, 35,000 posts with a colorless, nerdy name like "finance". It was time for a name with a little more pizazz.

• Like 1

Did he? As with Ali, I came late to appreciating Cosell, after seeing him on The Odd Couple. He really didn't have a clue, did he? Or...........did he. I know Cassius knew exactly what he was doing.

Did he? As with Ali, I came late to appreciating Cosell, after seeing him on The Odd Couple. He really didn't have a clue, did he? Or...........did he. I know Cassius knew exactly what he was doing.

Many came a lot later than you to appreciate Cosell.........in other words, never.

I went, like, 35,000 posts with a colorless, nerdy name like "finance". It was time for a name with a little more pizazz.

I guess that explains it. But I kind of thought ole 'finance' was pretty cool!

I always thought you chose finance, short for the French cake "financier," because you're the sweetest one on the Board! Much better name than DGF.

Two_rectangular_financiers.jpghttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financier_(cake)

Great post. I hadn't thought of it quite in the way you describe-- but yes, if Sanders is selected as Star of the Month on TCM, I agree that it will pave the way for other second leads to be so honored.

As well it should.  And after watching Richard Basehart give another first rate performance in the largely unknown Finger of Guilt, his name popped into mind as another underrated actor who's most deserving of a SOTM treatment.  Not only is he in many memorable noirs, but I just now see that he once played the lead role in a movie called Hitler!  Great googamooga!