Sign in to follow this  
flickerknickers

Worst Movie Musical Ever Made!

128 posts in this topic

Hi, Britbrain1:

I guess I'm not the only one with log-in problems.

Mentioning "Man of La Mancha" made me think of two absolute other dogs as musicals. I like Peter O'Toole normally, and I think he did do his own singing, but he was the only one, I believe. I could be wrong about that, too. No wonder it bombed. That role should have been Richard Kiley's, whom I saw do it on stage. I was in the fifth row on the aisle at McCormick Place in Chicago. Especially after seeing the play, I could not understand studios thinking, especially since Kiley had done some credible acting in films like "Pickup on South Streeet" and "Blackboard Jungle." I think if people pay to see someone on stage, they will do it on the screen as well.

However, the thought of Peter O'Toole made me think of author James Hilton. Two of his books were made into dogs of musicals, absolutely awful.

The better of the two, and that's not saying much, was musical version of "Goodbye Mr. Chips," with O'Toole playing the title role. Who did they have for Greer Garson role? None other than Petula Clark. I actually saw this version before Robert Donat film. I saw it as a child, and I remember being totally unimpressed.

Then, there is that absolutely bow-wow version of "Lost Horizon." I don't even remember who was in that turkey of a film. I remember that stupid song, "World Is a Circle" got played and played and played. Simply dreadful is how I would describe it. I'll never forget the last Andy Williams' Christmas special, where he and his ex-wife were holding hands, and they were singing all of these stupid songs from "Lost Horizon." Ugh!

Actually, "Paint Your Wagon" is not as bad a film as either of those two dogs.

As for "Oliver," I agree about Mark Lester. I always thought he was a weak link in the film. Although I think he did his own singing, his voice was very weak. He did at least one more film, "Black Beauty," before disappearing from the scene.

I also know the guy who played Bill Sikes could not sing; so, they dropped his songs. He was still excellent as Sykes. He died in the middle of filming gladiator, but his name escapes me right now. To me, though, the highlight of the movie was Ron Moody as fagin. I also adored the girl who played Nancy and the kid who played the Dodger. Then there is the wonderful Harry Secombe as Bumble. TCM played an early film of his this year.

There is going to be a new movie of "Oliver Twist" (although I believe it is strictly drama) with Ben Kingsley as Fagin. That might be a remake worth seeing.

Take care.

Deborah

what a group! well, everyone's entitled to his (or her) opinion.

oliver - won oscar for best pictur of the year. oliver reed (sykes) and shani wallis (nancy). mark lester was a beautiful, endearing little boy who did his own songs - what is he doing today? and ron moody - the best of them all - died a few yeas ago, i think (i hope i'm wrong).

paint your wagon - blame this on josh logan if you don't like it (same for camelot). miscast and long - and i love it. i know harve is the only real singer, but i still like clint and lee and jean.

lost horizon - liv ullman and the guy who won the academy award for network - what's his name? what a clinker. i'd like to see it again just to see if it's really as bad as i remember.

mame - just awful. i remember seeing it in a movie theater in manila and just cringing every time lucy was on screen (most of the time). of course angela should have done this, but it's always about power and money. and lucy had 'em and angela didn't.

hello dolly - a mess from the word go. miscast (barbra was far too young and, again, carol had no power or money - did you know that broadway takes in less money during an entire year than a movie makes in one day? read the season by william goldman). carol was photogenic (certainly moreso than barbra) - see thoroughly modern millie - and carol can be toned-down with the right director - which gene kelly wasn't.

my candidate for worst movie musical (god knows, i haven't seen them all): a chorus line. i saw the stage musical nine times in new york and washington dc. it won all the awards and ran for years. and then the movie came out and it fell flat on it's face. completely wrong director, bad adaptation for the screen (they didn't trust the material), and some miscasting - notice that they never show some of the people dancing even during their solo numbers - because they couldn't dance! a show about dancing with people who can't dance - go figure!

I am so distressed to read of this "Hello Dolly!" bashing. Sry, this is one of my fav. musicals. Carol Channing's voice is the most annoying thing I have heard (except in "Thoroughly Modern Millie" cause she fit that part). Streisand was young but it in no way detracted from the picture for me. Her voice had the power that no one else could bring to the table. And the dancing scenes are classic- it was the goodbye to an era of awesome musicals where dancing was not dirty and singing was beautiful. That's just the opinion of me though- a youngin' who doesn't know anything I guess.

Hi "NovelynPrice". For a "youngin'", it appears to me that you do know a great deal about Musicals. I'd like to suggest to you that you scroll down through the Forums Listings page, and join us in the Musical's Forum. (smile) ML

Man of LaMancha. Like most musicals transferred from stage it's too long. Peter O'Toole is a great actor but a lead part needs someone who can really sing.

Yes, I have to agree MAN OF LA MANCHA is surely one of the worst musicals of all time. This 1972 motion picture is total mess. This is a dull and ugly looking film. What a botch. Second to this is A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC. I saw this one on the stage and it they certainly botched this one up for the big screen. A total disappointment.

I have have to agree Man Of La Mancha is very Lame... But i think Hello Dolly is wonderful!.

The worst musicalsof all time....... Dr Doolittle with Rex Harrison, and The First Nudie Musical with Cindy Williams

How has this thread gone 3 pages w/o a mention of "Can't Stop the Music" that Village Idiots errr...Village People vehicle with Bruce Jenner and Valerie Perrine? I'll bet that I could have stopped the music!!! Even if it took a bazooka and a flamethrower!

im not sure if im the only one who thinks this but i thought that The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle was the worst musical ever. I love the Astaire/Rodgers movies but that was just stupid. Also it mad Fred and Ginger look like the biggest idiots ever and i think that its supposed to be sad at the end but they didnt really achieve that.

If you think Vernon and Irene Castle is the worst musical ever made, you've not seen enough! Check out GOLDEN DAWN (1930) which TCM is showing this week. It is bad in a campy fun way about a white woman (VIvienne Segal) born as the goddess to an African tribe in WWI East Africa. Lots of operetta style singing - which seems ridiculously out of place in the setting - and whites in very badly applied blackface. Noah Beery plays the native African overseers who, by virtue of his dialect, seems more at home on a plantation in the Old South rather than an Afican village. His white t-shirt is stained with his black makeup throughout the whole movie.

The Wiz is HORRIBLE!! But i personally can't stand West Side Story. The best part of that whole movie is in the beginning when the snap while walking...thats the only part I like. I also cant stand the end of My Fair Lady. I love all the songs, but pretty much after the Ascot scene the movie just sort of gets boring.

Wow! I can't believe how many of you dislike Hello, Dolly! It is one of my personal favorites because I thought Barbra Streisand's was hilarious as Dolly. The sets and costumes are lavish and colorful, which makes it fun to watch. And the characters all have these ridiculous ideas that are just funny. I watch the DVD religiously with my roommate... we love Hello, Dolly!

hey romanicatheart where talking about the worst musical not one of best witch is dr doolittle[ with rex harrison]...now ... the wiz.. is the worst one okay

Shock Treatment.

It was the sequel to Rocky Horror Picture show. Where RHPS had a rare streak of genius. The Sequal was nothing near the original. The plot if you could

call it that had Brad winning a Mental Health Stay at a weird mental clinic. The Doctor/Obrian tries to suduce Janet. The music was interesting but the film is so so. But definitly the worst musical of all time.

Nooooooo..........Rocky Horror had a sequel?? I am soooo glad I have never seen it and never will.

Geniebeanie, did you ever go to one of those midnight showings where the audience acted along with the actors? What fun.

Oh, and as to the question, it always pleases me to say, over and over again, Sound of Music.

"The Producers" will have to check in as one of the worst musicals ever made. It's flat, colorless, and juiceless. IF you like photographed stage plays, then this might be up your alley. I went in hoping to like it because of it's phenomenal Broadway run. From the opening scene to the last, it's like everybody was ordered to play everything bigger-than-life and that becomes soooo embarassing to watch. Uma Thurman was totally miscast as the sex pot. Mathew Broderick was sweet and boring. Nathan Lane could have been great but he held back when he shouldn't and shouted out his lyrics when he shouldn't. I'm not adding "Rent" to this "Worst" List because I thought that despite the dated story material, the music was delivered effectively. You have to overcome your wonder that here you've got these squatters living in a loft the size of a football field, and we're supposed to feel sorry for them because they don't have any money. none of them go out to work anywhere and we're supposed to see the landlord as the villians. OTher than that, the music works great and I want this one on DVD.