flickerknickers

Worst Movie Musical Ever Made!

154 posts in this topic

I quite enjoy them but I don't deny the Frank Schoebel musicals which were popular in the DDR are very kitschy and poorly made. I'm certain many would groan and consider them the worst musicals.

On 4/5/2019 at 8:46 PM, Gershwin fan said:

Les Miserables is also almost entirely sung with only a few bits of spoken dialogue (don't remember which ones at the moment). I enjoyed that one much more than Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Umbrellas is too kitschy and that theme is just so melodramatic. 

How odd, my reaction to those two movies was the exact opposite.  Except The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is neither kitschy nor melodramatic.  Its colour scheme is original and attractive, while the emotional situation is neither unusual nor exaggerated. 

I haven’t seen too many bad musicals to be honest. Some of the ones mentioned on here to me aren’t bad. I liked the 1982 version of Annie. I also liked The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Xanadu was only tolerable because of Gene Kelly being in it. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen A Chorus Line. I’ll have to watch it again to make up my mind on that one...lol. I agree with both The Wiz and Grease 2, though. Also, I did enjoy both La La Land and The Greatest Showman. 

I absolutely despised La La Land and The Greatest Showman.  For me, they did not live up to the acclaim, especially La La Land.  I cannot remember a single thing about La La Land, except for Emma Stone's yellow dress and her Ingrid Bergman poster.  Neither Stone nor Ryan Gosling had any business being in a musical.  I don't get the hype about Gosling. He's very average--not even cute. 

I dislike Annie because Annie is annoying.  I loved Carol Burnett, because she was mean to Annie.

I loved Xanadu.

I don't know if All That Jazz counts as a musical, but I hated that movie.

I've tried watching both Annie Get Your Gun and Good News multiple times and I just cannot get through either film.  Betty Hutton is so incredibly annoying, she ruins Annie Get Your Gun. Howard Keel is great though.  Re: Good News, June Allyson and Peter Lawford are so incredibly average, I just cannot make it through the film.

Brigadoon was a big clunker for me and I love Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse.  All I remember about this film are Van Johnson's plaid pants.

Ziegfeld Follies has so many stars and so many performances, but nothing really memorable--except Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly's dance routine together.

I'd be tempted to say Words and Music isn't that great, but Gene Kelly and Vera-Ellen knock their "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" number out of the park, and instantly elevate the film.

I love Summer Stock, but "Heavenly Music" is the absolute worst musical number of all time. I hate this number so much, I don't even know if there are enough words to describe how much I despise it.  The only redeeming quality about it are the dogs.